[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

Just a thought..Was it established that KPY was the man SangHun met at HuiSik. It wasn't very clear and even the woman at the bar said she only saw the back of his head and he had a stinging smell like construction workers. If KPY had wanted to kidnap SangHun why did he meet him and argued at the bar?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bedifferent I think, you misunderstood me. I don't think, YM wants to bring down JQ for a noble reason. My theory was that he is playing both sides in order to get rid of the chairman and IDG so that he will be at the top and become the most powerful man. He knows that JYM nominated him as the new CEO in order to become the scapegoat. From my point of view, he wants the chairman to get caught in his own trap.

For me, he played both sides (that's why JSH trusted him for so long) because he told the chairman about KCH-JSH and CSH in order to push IDG to stop them. The more they try to cover up (murders), the easier it is to discover their dirt and secret. Now, YM is not stopping Kim Seo Hui in her investigations so that this scandal will tarnish the chairman's reputation. I believe, the company board will force the chairman to withdraw. I don't belong to those who hope that JYM chooses to protect KSH because he loves her. I want him to become more and more like the chairman. I doubt that JQ can go down so easily because of that scandal as this company has a lot of subsidiaries and many employees are involved. Furthermore, don't forget that JQ built water supplies and sewage system in that region. Once the scandal is revealed, people will start using the water supplies and sewage system owned by JQ... They will make money! I can't forget the chairman's words about this: "They don't pay water. We built water supplies and sewage system. It didn't work. They kept using underground water." Then he added, they are only interested in things that are free. In the chairman's eyes, there is nothing for free in this world. So this could be a way for YM to survive the scandal... besides, YM was too young (it occurred in 1999) hence he won't be held responsible. 

@bebebisous33 yeah, I agree with your above points.

Sorry my post was just a side comment on others here who were discussing the possibility that YM could be pulling a Secret Forest Lee Chang Jun’s anti hero plan.  I guess my point is even if he does, I find his lack of empathy and concern too disturbing to justify his end game.  Sorry was not too clear.

It’s the weekend again.  I need to down the unicorn comic book world of Extraordinary You, dim the lights and get back into the dark and twisted OCN world where Everyone Lies.  So are we agreed that YM is on top of our suspect list right now?  Or is the vet our guy?  My theory that SHoon is behind it all casts doubt on his love for SHui...I mean if he comes back and tells her how he used her all this time it’s not going to do wonders for their marriage relationship?  I wouldn’t look too kindly on my hubby if he dragged me into this mess and put me in the line of fire and kept me worrying (he could’ve rung me?).  If handing me a cryptic note with dates scribbled on it and giving me “parts of himself” was his form of “communication”, there’s seriously something very disturbed about hubby.  :sweatingbullets:

On 11/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, bedifferent said:

if YM's intention was to bring down JQ for a noble reason, his indifference toward CSH and Seo Hui's well being is still disturbing.  

@bedifferent  Quite right, to hark back to Stranger/FoS again, his actions would still be those of 'a monster', albeit one created by the system. While it would still require sacrifice, the (noble) end does not justify the (evil) means.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:18 PM, bebebisous33 said:

YM was too young (it occurred in 1999) hence he won't be held responsible. 

@bebebisous33 If Yeong-min turns out to be more aligned with light than dark, an escape path like this would be satisfying. If he's in it out of pure ambition and to triumph over Chairman Jeong, and he ends up the Big Big Bad, it would be entertaining revenge but a little sad (for me as the viewer at least). Committing evil acts to suppress the truth in future, indeed, repeating Chairman Jeong's story arc, would be his fate sealed. Going back to what @taeunfighting also mentioned, it much rests on whether he was complicit in the Cr-6 scandal persisting and being covered up. And, judging from current affairs with Samsung, whether the government is willing to destroy one of the so-called pillars of the Korean economy by totally hollowing out management. Whichever way, we all find Yeong-min intriguing.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, bedifferent said:

Happy birthday to him

Props to the actor Seo Hyun-woo! He's so good in this menacing role that I forget he's only inhabiting a role sometimes :lol: He makes all the far-fetched stuff like being an uber-surveillance-expert-assassin-sleek-executive look believable!

19 hours ago, nrllee said:

My theory that SHoon is behind it all casts doubt on his love for SHui...I mean if he comes back and tells her how he used her all this time it’s not going to do wonders for their marriage relationship?  I wouldn’t look too kindly on my hubby if he dragged me into this mess and put me in the line of fire and kept me worrying (he could’ve rung me?).  If handing me a cryptic note with dates scribbled on it and giving me “parts of himself” was his form of “communication”, there’s seriously something very disturbed about hubby.

@nrllee It's beautiful and complicated, isn't it? For me, one of the many prevailing themes of The Lies Within is people who are damaged by circumstances outside their control. Yeong-min from his twisted adulation of Chairman Jeong, In Dong-gu from his alcoholic father. Even Yu Dae-yong from wanting to provide for his family. Then what's uplifting is that some who have also been traumatised by life events, like Tae-sik and Seo-hui, overcome their pain and fight for what they believe in.

I would love an ending where Sang-hun/Eun-seong went down an extreme path because he felt there was no other way to keep the issues in the public eye. Where Yeong-min, though far from spotless, is somehow part of the take-down. Where Tae-sik gets closure and shows the world that so long as we hold to our principles, there is a way. Where Seo-hui comes to her full potential as a strong woman with agency, who doesn't need to compromise her humanity and her emotions. 

Well, it's all like Schrodinger's cat at the moment :lol: Characters simultaneously dead/alive, benign/malign... up until the writer chooses to open the box! I am getting a liiiittle sentimental as we start on the home stretch. I still haven't watched that much K-drama and this is the first one  where I've followed along with the community. All the interpretations have enhanced my viewing pleasure a lot, regardless of whether the theories were confirmed or not, they have all been finely observed and constructed :)

Hit me with Ep 13! *braces*

2 hours ago, AC95 said:

Well, it's all like Schrodinger's cat at the moment :lol: Characters simultaneously dead/alive, benign/malign... up until the writer chooses to open the box!

Urgh that poor cat... hits close to home (see my profile pic for reference) :lol:.  Schrodinger’s poor cat has made an appearance in 3 of the dramas I have watched thus far.  Hotel Del Luna, Dr John and now this... why didn’t Schrodinger choose a rodent like a rat instead of a feline?  Because it has 9 lives?  <_< So far, it’s lost 3 of the 9 in my “thought process”.

I guess Schrodinger’s experiment rings true here too on a bigger scale.  Radiation sickness is a horrible way to die.  Just like how those poor people are being exposed to heavy metal toxicity.  Slowly being poisoned.  It’s torturous.  Are they already dead despite the box not being opened to tell them about their plight?  

It’s really Sang Hun who called ! He asked if she was alright . And she kept asking him where he was , he kept quiet  . ( he sounds a bit to calm for someone who was kidnaped) . Then he was cut off & a robot sounding voice took over 

From what I understand from the cuts & preview  , Tae Sik & JG worked together, and long story short - Captain was arrested & TS was reinstated . Seems that TS & JG goes to the basement where SH was captured. Don’t think I see him though 

@triplem @bedifferent @liltash85 @nrllee After watching the last episode and the preview with subtitles, I believe that my theory about YM was right. It looks like YM used the veterinarian in order to become the future chairman. JTS mentioned an "accomplice". From my point of view, the veterinarian must have realized that YM played him. Why? First, the third mutilation was done differently. JSH was not butchered. Furthermore the blackmailer called Seo Hui right after IDG's arrest which outlines that IDG has nothing to do with JSH's kidnapping and amputations. And it points in another direction...

The veterinarian must have resented JQ a lot for the loss of his adopted son. But let us not forget that he came from an orphanage. Maybe this might have an importance in this... Jin might have told him that he was also an orphan, he lost his girlfriend CSH due to JQ... so that the man would believe that they had a common goal. Yet, I sense that during the next shareholders meeting, JYM will show his true colors. I am looking forward for the confrontation between Jin YM and Kim Seo Hui. She said that he was not different from JYM and I had already perceived him as such.

I am expecting that JYM's downfall will resemble the chairman's downfall. The latter is going to betrayed by YM and the latter is going to be betrayed by his "accomplice", the veterinarian. And this where JSH comes. I doubt that JSH was the mastermind from the start as the first amputation was really brutal. My idea is that at some point, JSH must have revealed his past to the veterinarian: he was not the chairman's biological son and got abused. Therefore the "accomplice" got aware of YM's true goal and lies. JSH agreed to help him in his revenge... that's why the eyeball was sent to Bareun news. The surgery was so done that JSH would be able to survive. On the surface, it looked like the veterinarian was still "helping" YM, yet he wanted to ensure that the truth would be sooner discovered. In the last episode, YM seemed to be in a rush... they needed to get 52% very soon. So the dead line sounded very ominous. That's why I think that in the end, YM could fail as well. The truth will be revealed before he gets elected as the new chairman.  

IDG is a tragic figure. He worships JYM because he saw a loving father which contrasted so much to the abusive father IDG had. However, I am hoping that this image he has of the chairman will be torn apart because they discover something else. 

*spoiler-free*

We are definitely in the Endgame now. No spoilers from me but Ep 13 is really Captain Yu and In Dong-gu's episode. Although there's some clever traps laid by Tae-sik and team too. 

Because of a mix of flashbacks from near-past and longer ago, expect some choppy editing. But go with the flow and all will become clear.

Expecting a roller-coaster from hereon.

Satisfying ep13. The writer did a great job and everything is coming together.

So DaeYong intentionally stole TaeSik's gun. In that I see that they somehow saved DaeYong's from being branded despicable. It's just crazy to cover up 3 people death and kill a colleague to save yourself from a lesser crime.

I don't know if YM had it planned from the beginning when he took SangHun in the woods or he later saw it as an opportunity to take over JQ and got the Vet involved.  @bebebisous33The first mutilation was done with KPY's knife directly pinning the crime on him. Both YeongMin and the Vet wants JQ's crime to be reaveled at the same time YeongMin wants to take over JQ? His goal contradicts that with the Vet.  Also I don't see how YeongMin's can distant himself from the blame when he was in the meeting about the contamination 4 yrs ago with Chairman, KimSeungCheol, Hong and the Baerun's CEO.

Yes IDG is a tragic figure. He grew up with and absuive father and saw the chairman as his saviour...sad!

What bugs me is why SangHun sounded calm when he was talking to SeoHui. He sounds satisfied like he feels it's going to be over soon.

1 hour ago, imgreatgal said:

What bugs me is why SangHun sounded calm when he was talking to SeoHui. He sounds satisfied like he feels it's going to be over soon.

Stockholm syndrome?  Of the gruesome kind. :crazy:

2 hours ago, AC95 said:

Because of a mix of flashbacks from near-past and longer ago, expect some choppy editing. But go with the flow and all will become clear.

Yeah...it was a tad hard to follow but I think I eventually got it in the end...  :lol:

Thoughts from ep

Spoiler

But now that IDG is cleared of the abduction... I guess YM did catch SHoon after all in the forest.  YM chopped his hand off or was it the vet?  The vet did all 3?  YM couldn’t have done the eye because he was being interrogated then and the vet was definitely the delivery boy for the eye.  The foot may have been YM who delivered it hence the jacket.  And the hand was a paid “Courier”.   The bottle in the preview looks like an injectable anesthetic (vets have that).

So far, my assumption: YM is the culprit and vet as the accomplice. While I can't guess is Sang Hoon really also behind this as well. But I think it will be very disturbing. How could SH tortures himself and even 'tortures' his wife that much. I mean someone like her could become crazy and depressed.

He knows hat his wife is just an ordinary woman who knows nothing. She doesn't even know anything about her busband's or father's work. How do the culprits trust Seo Hui so much to solve this complicated case??

4 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

Satisfying ep13. The writer did a great job and everything is coming together.

So DaeYong intentionally stole TaeSik's gun. In that I see that they somehow saved DaeYong's from being branded despicable. It's just crazy to cover up 3 people death and kill a colleague to save yourself from a lesser crime.

I don't know if YM had it planned from the beginning when he took SangHun in the woods or he later saw it as an opportunity to take over JQ and got the Vet involved.  @bebebisous33The first mutilation was done with KPY's knife directly pinning the crime on him. Both YeongMin and the Vet wants JQ's crime to be revealed at the same time YeongMin wants to take over JQ? His goal contradicts that with the Vet.  Also I don't see how YeongMin's can distant himself from the blame when he was in the meeting about the contamination 4 yrs ago with Chairman, KimSeungCheol, Hong and the Baerun's CEO.

Yes IDG is a tragic figure. He grew up with and absuive father and saw the chairman as his saviour...sad!

I have the impression that once YM got in contact with the veterinarian and he saw the hatred in him, YM might have developed the idea to use him in order to accomplish his goal. Let us remember that once JSH returned from Germany, the latter announced to YM that he had agreed to his father's request. And you can see YM's disappointment in the car. From my point of view, back then he might have realized that the chairman would always favor JSH over him. So in order to get the CEO's position, he needed to get rid of the chairman. 

During his interrogation, SH and JTS asked him if he was jealous of JSH and he denied it. The lie detector revealed that YM was not jealous. Maybe, he was not as he knew what JSH had been put through due to the chairman. However, YM might have resented and even hated the chairman for favoring JSH over him.

Sure, on the surface YM's goal contradicts the veterinarian's goal but YM could have told him that he would help him to get rid of the chairman JYM. The latter would lose his position and would be held responsible for the scandal. YM could have hidden his true purpose . Besides, the chairman has always been good at using people and manipulating them. Even IDG fell for his gentle demeanor. Even Seo Hui had some problem to accept the idea that the chairman could order the death of so many people. YM could be exactly just like him: So I can definitely imagine that YM might have acted like a victim... back then he was just a director, CSH was his girlfriend and JSH was the designated CEO. Furthermore don't forget that JSH's adoption was a secret.

I guess that at some point, the veterinarian has realized YM's true goal with JSH's help hence they called the wife. With this call, JTS and SH realized that the abduction of JSH had nothing to do with IDG and the chairman. They came to the conclusion that only one person would benefit the most from it: Jin YM. Thankfully, she had followed JYM and heard his conversation with the lawyer.

Only if Hong and the CEO of Bareun news testify that JYM was present back then, JYM can get involved in the scandal. But so far, we know that Hong has sided with JYM and I guess, the woman from Bareun news will side with them and leave the chairman's side. The both have no interest to become witnesses of this conversation because this would involve them as well. JTS and SH need more evidence to link both to the scandal.

@nat_phoenix88 JYM knows SH pretty well. He knows that she loves her husband very much. So in his eyes, he expected her to do anything to save her husband. That's why she was chosen. But I think, JYM didn't expect her to find out everything. He didn't stop her because this would divert the chairman's attention from him. Besides, revealing the truth would somehow help him. However, I sense that the accomplice must have sensed that he had been used because he went straight to SH's house and gave her the dates. By doing so, he knew that at some point, they would visit him. That's why I believe that after YM got nominated as the new CEO of J E&F, the veterinarian realized that he had been really played. 

On 11/4/2019 at 5:19 PM, triplem said:

Funnily, I understand YM - not as in I approve of what he does but the reason he behaves the way he does - it is the life long desire for approval and validation. That's why he is such a conflicted character. Sang Hun - a weakling in his mind got Chairman's love and approval. YM who was good in everything was sidelined both in their childhood and even now with this new business . I won't write him off yet as the mastermind behind what's happening with SH because jealousy is a strong motivator . He does not need to be the one cutting off the body parts...he can easily give instructions for someone else to do it.  Besides IDG who himself is investigating this case, only he knew that Reporter Choi ( I think they are romantically involved in some way or are at least close) was helping Sang Hun

There were no ropes tying SH up but would there be a need to ?To keep him alive,  he would be heavily sedated as in on loads of painkillers. He looked dazed in that last shot. I am 50-50 on the  theory that SH would be the one orchestrating this - my doubts come about because of what YM said that SH cried 3 days when he lost his finger nail. SH is afraid of physical pain.  (edit to add: Also YM was annoyed that SH would cry over such a thing...lack of empathy there from YM..perhaps he could be vindictive and using this to "teach " SH a lesson.)

Edited by triplem

@bebebisous33 I wrote the above  a few weeks ago . Lol! Looks like I’ll have to go back to suspecting YM again . The way he’s arranging things behind JQ Chairman’s back would fit the profile now . Mystery man who wants  Seo Hui to stop the new business would play right into YM’s hands. 
@imgreatgal SH ‘s voice - initially I thought it sounded rather calm. So I went back to thinking he could be a willing participant. But when I blasted the volume on my tv , it sounded like he was rather tired - probably in pain , under lots of drugs & the only person  he’s worried about is Seo Hui . 

I like how TS handled the capture of IDG by getting YDY to trap him. While I hv no sympathy for YDY , it gave him an opportunity to pay for his misdeeds . I also like how much stronger & braver Seo Hui is now . 

I felt a tad sorry for IDG’s back story. His loyalty to Chairman is understandable since the latter was the 1st male figure to treat him well . Plus he must have always viewed Chairman as the ideal father figure given how much Chairman loved Sang Hun , while his dad was drunk & abusive . What a blow it must be for the Chairman to abandon him now . 

44 minutes ago, triplem said:

I felt a tad sorry for IDG’s back story. His loyalty to Chairman is understandable since the latter was the 1st male figure to treat him well . Plus he must have always viewed Chairman as the ideal father figure given how much Chairman loved Sang Hun , while his dad was drunk & abusive . What a blow it must be for the Chairman to abandon him now . 

Actually i felt sorry for all three of them InDongGu, YeongMin and SangHun. While InDongGu grew up with a drunkard and abusive father, YeongMin and SangHun were orphans. As you say, InDongGu longed for an ideal father figure and he saw that in the chairman but the chairman used him to clean up JQ's mess. YeongMin was well liked at first but the chairman chose SangHun over him, that must have been shattering for a young child. As for SangHun, although the chairman adopted him as his own i believe he was constantly torn between being EunSeong and SangHun. His name and records were erased and he was forced to live as SangHun which in turn cause him to have those anxiety disorder. 

I think I have to rewatch the bit where SHui and TaeSik were trying to put everything together.  Because they seemed stumped and I was too about why there seemed to be 2 opposing agendas playing out.  That conversation went too quickly for me so I need to watch it again.  Did they resolve it or did they just expose it and were left wondering?  

The hand and the message/video from the laptop... was to force SHui to run for office and push the land deal through.  I thought it had to be IDG because he was the only one who seemed to have access to her laptop?  Via his hacker friend?  I didn’t think YM or the vet could’ve done that?  It would make sense for him (IDG) to want to push the land deal through because he had bought land?  Did he lie about having nothing to do with the abduction?  He was faithful to the Chairman but he hated YM.  Was that to cast doubts back on him?

The foot and eye were to expose the toxic waste.  And now it sounds like perpetrator(s) wants SHui to renege on the bill?  So to stop the land deal from going ahead?  Why?  She had enough evidence to stop it in its tracks already?  Unless they didn’t know that?   It seemed like a lot of unnecessary work?  Unless they want her to somehow distance herself from the land deal because her vote counted and she was an innocent in this all along?  It wouldn’t look great for her as SongJu’s representative to have voted for the deal to go through (especially seeing she’s Jeong’s daughter in law)?  She would have to explain she didn’t know but now she did?  

IDG (oversaw all the collecting of the waste barrels), YM, Hong, Assemblyman Kim (now dead), the head of Bareun News, Chairman Jeong - they all knew about the toxic waste and chose to cover it up.  Now that IDG is dealt with.  Could the perpetrators be making sure they net everyone and take them all out?  Like how TaeSik baited IDG with the help of Captain Yu?  YM headed that meeting with everyone.  He seemed to be Jeong’s spokesperson...he is not guiltless.

Just random thoughts going through my head :lol:

EDIT - gah scrap that TS and SHui ended that conversation acquitting IDG of SHoon’s abduction and dismemberment... so YM hacked SHui’s laptop?  So weird... you would’ve thought that with hacker guy covering the bases there that he would’ve picked it up and informed IDG?  I mean he even knew when she was looking up the list from the usb stick?

Archived