[Taiwanese Drama 2019] Before We Get Married 我們不能是朋友

0ly40

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks @Ahpheng for sharing and please give my thanks to @nefariouskat for translating the authors interviews. 

It was very interesting to read author's thoughts on her characters, her story and why she wrote it. It really does make you think deep to what actually do you hope to become in your life. And is that something you want or something others expect you to be. 

That stuff she said about a person wanting to be a "good" person.....and doing things they don't agree with because of that.....thats a decade of my life right there.

I have to tell you breaking out of that mould, that habit is one of the hardest and most stressful thing I did in my life.

The more I watch this drama the more layers it shows. 

@dito initially i thought this was just another "cheating" drama but after reading the author's articles, i realised i have been underestimating this drama. It really has many layers...and i hope she writes more after each ep. 

5 hours ago, 0ly40 said:

I guess too @AlexandraReid This beautiful song was OST of "Someone like you" and I love Bii and this song too.

you mean they also did it for another Tdrama? well okay since the last Tdrama i watched is Fall in Love With Me (2014), after that im focusing to Kdrama world :sweat_smile:

===

heres all songs been played in BWGM, included "Darling".

so many familiar faces! :D@Table122000 @Ahpheng @Latte_Anyday  @dito .... am reminded of WGM -- oh how I miss that show! :wub:

@lynne22 ~ thanks for the author's write-up; it looks like the writer wasn't planning to make a scandalous story but something with a point. actually you can feel that; generally cheating dramas tend to bring up lot of emotion in people -- many are often annoyed and get upset. but here, we see a complex story that we can see that these relationships were already frayed. so in that sense , cheating is not the cause of the breakdown but merely the symptom/outcome.

when I first watched ep 1, I was kind of bored honestly. the party scene especially felt weird and both weiwei and keuhan felt a bit screechy. but now with additional episodes, it feels like the characters have settled in and the story is starting to make more sense. actually both were very unhappy with their relationship. keuhan already realized it and was vocalizing it in many ways. he was already looking for an out in some ways. weiwei in contrast was unhappy but was not aware of it. almost in denial that all is well...

my favourite would have to be no-nonsense ziting. the girl doesn't bat an eyelid telling her sister and has lots of pride. it feels like keuhan has more respect for ziting then for ZW....

On 6/24/2019 at 4:21 AM, AlexandraReid said:

his ex gf is one of another problem, as you see in the last scene of them, CKH clearly said twice for a breakup then she keeps on with 'Temporarily Separated' duhh, i was like "Girl, Are u kidding me?" she seems really cant accept the breakup yet, well sooner later when she find out bout ZW had a thing with CKH, i bet that time will knock some sense into her. :sweat_smile:

lets hope so! she really is the height of clinginess no? where is her self-pride? she probably feels like a bit of a loser though -- other friends are dating and getting married. but she had been been with him for 10 years and he still didn't commit... but then again, he is her free ATM; she hasn't worked in 10 years, not much education? so how would she finance her lifestyle if she didn't have him in her life? her entire identity and purpose seems to be about him. so without him, who is she? 

On 6/23/2019 at 2:30 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

She obviously is doin' this to get Ke Huan to come around someday though seriously sweetheart TEN YEARS is a decade ha-ha & such a waste/shame tbh. If he wanted to marry her, he would've done so long ago. Which is why people need to be realistic in relationships...after 2 years (minimum anyway) there's no progress it's best to move on.

the funny thing she believes she is realistic -- she kept telling her sister that after 10 years, it is natural the passion fades and they are just familiar. so she told herself that it is normal that he is cold and standoffish and walled up because thats how relationships are. so is that she saw long-term relationships? but yea, if anything the drama is really asking viewers to think about whether a relationship has potential if there is no progress. whether it is weiwei and her man or keuhan and ZW, both were stuck in a rut with no movement forward emotionally. keuhan had lost all respect for ZW where he doesn't feel comfortable telling her anything. weiwei cannot express her emotional turmoil or doubts or feelings to 321. the only thing they can talk about is their plan. so both weiwei and keuhan were living behind huge walls alone in some ways. did ZW and 321 not notice? or did both think that this is how couples normally are?

On 6/24/2019 at 5:23 AM, aw614 said:

It looks like CKH is ready to end his relationship with his current gf. But ZW looked conflicted the whole episode about it. 

I agree HY isn't a bad person, a little controlling and somewhat of a cheapsake, but hiding it this all whole time for 3 years is risky especially if it is looked down upon at their job. The roomate brought up a good point about HY's occupation vs ZW. That really throws a curveball in their book of plans...

how old are these two that they have such a book of plan? it just feels like as you grow out of your 20s, one thing you realize that you can't really plan life no matter how much you try. there will always be unexpected curve balls. one of the scenes that felt odd to me was when keuhan asks weiwei a series of what ifs that could derail this plan and she was shocked. did she never think of stuff that could happen? or has both 321 and weiwei's life always happened a certain way that they never experience sudden changes? why did they not have backup plans?

and rather than him being a cheapskate, it is the fact that he hides the relationship with weiwei for 3 years that comes off as a bit low. it is going to be ironic but weiwei and keuhan's relationship will actually be more open with lots of people aware of it whereas no one knew of these two relationship. instead of being a couple, they were instead like a dirty secret where weiwei didn't even feel comfortable sharing with her roommate and best friend. this passion and willingness to be open is part of what makes keuhan really attractive to weiwei. unlike 321, she is a priority with keuhan and not a secret.

also found the proposal scene bizarre. keuhan and ZW are not close friends. in fact, they are almost like strangers. so there is this huge awkwardness. so why on earth did 321 propose when those two are there?

22 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I hope he wasn't thinking that they should still keep it a secret that they are married just to stay on the job in same co.

would not be surprised if that was also his plan! :mellow: the way he talked to keufei felt a bit off. like he was almost cocky? and he seemed taken aback at her suggestion that one of them needs to quit and so it is best it be him...

On 6/22/2019 at 2:30 PM, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

The gf of Kehuan is seriously crazy. Kehuan should fire his assistant for giving the gf his new apartment address. I would creep out if my ex showed up at my doorstep of my new apartment.  That's stalking. She is in big time denial. 

seriously no? he needs to tell his assistant to back off and not give any info to that ZW even if she calls....  and wonder if she will turn into a stalker?

also find keufei and the assistant baiyang's relationship interesting. why does she not want a relationship at all? whereas he seems ready to commit to her?

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

lets hope so! she really is the height of clinginess no? where is her self-pride? she probably feels like a bit of a loser though -- other friends are dating and getting married. but she had been been with him for 10 years and he still didn't commit... but then again, he is her free ATM; she hasn't worked in 10 years, not much education? so how would she finance her lifestyle if she didn't have him in her life? her entire identity and purpose seems to be about him. so without him, who is she? 

i remembered before that ZW asked her whether she does further study, then she quickly denied it, i bet she wasted 10 years on CKH's money. A women like her might dont really care bout self pride, cause all she cares bout herself not CKH, i mean even her own sister noticed how dead their r/ship is, cause Relationship is about two people, not one. As you can see when CKH did a quick decision on buying new house without look it thoroughly, it means hes not really interested.

if im not mistaken those two has some connection from her family. but i never heard anything bout CKH's family, probably hes an orphans or something, correct me if im wrong lol:sweat_smile:

@Lmangla

I think like it is on the K-Drama, One Spring Night people get too comfortable after awhile and the same can be said of Ke Huan's non-relationship with his "gf":P They're simply housemates, not a couple at all. 

And as you mentioned, with free flowing ca$h, she's living in luxury & ease... Who would want to leave that behind LoL?!:lol: She seems to have deluded herself into thinking she's done everything right. Idk this drama's execution of a taboo subject is messy to me<_<

For me, Wei2 is content in sticking with her man 'cause there's fear of havin' to start over with another & there's already so much invested in her current relationship already. As for Ke Huan he's doin' it out of a sense of duty. Although is there really no attraction at all LoL?! She's quite pretty (more so than Wei2 I mean.. I think so:P) so it can't simply just be mere obligation. The drama hasn't really delved into it. 

Another Taiwanese Drama that deals with a similar topic - To the Dearest Intruder was done way better imo. 

58 minutes ago, AlexandraReid said:

if im not mistaken those two has some connection from her family. but i never heard anything bout CKH's family, probably hes an orphans or something, correct me if im wrong lol:sweat_smile:

thats my assumption too; it does sound like he was orphan and so felt grateful to ZW's mom which is why he stuck on in the relationship for so many years because of whatever promise he gave her...

53 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

For me, Wei2 is content in sticking with her man 'cause there's fear of havin' to start over with another & there's already so much invested in her current relationship already.

that makes sense because I wasn't sure what she was getting out of the relationship.

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@Lmangla

I think like it is on the K-Drama, One Spring Night people get too comfortable after awhile and the same can be said of Ke Huan's non-relationship with his "gf":P They're simply housemates, not a couple at all. 

And as you mentioned, with free flowing ca$h, she's living in luxury & ease... Who would want to leave that behind LoL?!:lol: She seems to have deluded herself into thinking she's done everything right. Idk this drama's execution of a taboo subject is messy to me<_<

wow same here, i watched OSN drama as well, the drama kinda similar but not 'really passionate' as BWGM, you know what i mean. :lol:

44 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

thats my assumption too; it does sound like he was orphan and so felt grateful to ZW's mom which is why he stuck on in the relationship for so many years because of whatever promise he gave her...

ZW's mom? Correction Its ZY (Zi Yuan) :sweatingbullets:

@AlexandraReid

Ah you're into Adult/Rated (M) content huh LoL?!:w00t::phew: Although K-Dramas handle cheating better imo.;)The Fierce Wife is another Taiwanese drama that does cheating well with messages of female empowerment thrown in as well. However I can't drop Before We Got Married 'cause I want to see how it works itself out from the messy plot:lol: 

So someone on mydramalist shared an article with a proper excerpt of the novel's ending.

I'm paraphrasing it below....for people who don't mind HUGE spoilers.

Spoiler

Both main characters break up with their partners.

KH also resigned and started his own company.

WW broke up with 321 on the day they were going to get their license...I think.

Afterwards, Weiwei became a workaholic and was often sent out by the company.

After few years,  these two single people, met in New York....on Valentine's Day.

KH asks WW: Do you have anyone in your life right now who would mind you spending the night with another man?:lol:(Dude, show some restraint) After all today is valentine's day.

WW replies: No, what about you?

KH: I don't!

No way would I call that an open ending. 

54 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@AlexandraReid

Ah you're into Adult/Rated (M) content huh LoL?!:w00t::phew: Although K-Dramas handle cheating better imo.;)The Fierce Wife is another Taiwanese drama that does cheating well with messages of female empowerment thrown in as well. However I can't drop Before We Got Married 'cause I want to see how it works itself out from the messy plot:lol: 

im sure you able to complete this Tdrama since it has like 9 eps left.:sweat_smile:

----

great edits

36 minutes ago, dito said:

So someone on mydramalist shared an article with a proper excerpt of the novel's ending.

I'm paraphrasing it below....for people who don't mind HUGE spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

Both main characters break up with their partners.

KH also resigned and started his own company.

WW broke up with 321 on the day they were going to get their license...I think.

Afterwards, Weiwei became a workaholic and was often sent out by the company.

After few years,  these two single people, met in New York....on Valentine's Day.

KH asks WW: Do you have anyone in your life right now who would mind you spending the night with another man?:lol:(Dude, show some restraint) After all today is valentine's day.

WW replies: No, what about you?

KH: I don't!

No way would I call that an open ending. 

i also read that yesterday since i always lurk on MDL lol, otherwise if you remember some scene after the episode ends, where both of the leads in the bus. that could probably be the ending.:smirk:

1 hour ago, AlexandraReid said:

i also read that yesterday since i always lurk on MDL lol, otherwise if you remember some scene after the episode ends, where both of the leads in the bus. that could probably be the ending.:smirk:

Nope. WW still has bangs in that scene. The clothes KH and WW are wearing in that bus scene are same as the ones they have on in the scene where WW pulls KH in for a deep kiss...and is most likely just before they sleep together. WW is holding the same blazer she's wearing in the bus....in the morning after scene.

Is it very obvious that I've watched that 10 min. highlight trailer+opening+ending credits a million times by now?

1 hour ago, dito said:

Nope. WW still has bangs in that scene. The clothes KH and WW are wearing in that bus scene are same as the ones they have on in the scene where WW pulls KH in for a deep kiss...and is most likely just before they sleep together. WW is holding the same blazer she's wearing in the bus....in the morning after scene.

Is it very obvious that I've watched that 10 min. highlight trailer+opening+ending credits a million times by now?

do you perhaps know where i could watch those 10 min. highlight with subs?

Spoiler

im still curious of what ZW said to CKH @6:44 , was that scene already aired? i guess not yet :confused:

Archived