[Taiwanese Drama 2019] Before We Get Married 我們不能是朋友

0ly40

Just finished episode 12...expected that there wouldn't be many KH-WW scenes, but the ones we did get, I thought were quite meaningful. Really liked KH's explanation when it came to WW vs career- was worried about how that would go. This episode's summary goes like this: 321 continues to be a stalking whack job who can't comprehend the fact that he's the one that screwed the relationship; Zi Yuan is the bitter ex who refuses to let go, so she continues to her controlling ways; Wei Wei tries to do the morally right thing again for KH's sake and seemingly resents 321; and Ke Huan continues to be the awesome knight in shining armor with brilliance.

P.S. Probably one of the best non-OTP scenes was Mai Zi absolutely putting 321 in place...that was a you go girl moment.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow MZ caught me by surprise that's for sure.. I was adamant that she would end up with HY but she really did just recognize his talent and want him to work for her. I do recall she gave tips to HY to help him win back WW but because we never got to hear everything she said, I thought there was something else behind it. I'm glad she gave him a dose of hard honest truth cos he really needed it, he has been acting like such a child. I finally watched ep 11 with subs too and everything HY said just made me cringe. He really didn't realise what he had until it's gone and it was satisfying watching him realise that she isn't coming back. I felt bad for him when I saw how his dad reacted to WW admitting fault though.. I can see why he has always aimed to achieve but still, he should have given some consideration to WW.

I really hate that WW has to take the blame for everything. I do see why she just ended up saying she slept with KH though because HY was being so demanding and overbearing that she just caved and told him what he wanted to hear so he would back off. That's the problem with manipulative guilt tripping partners, you get to a point where you eventually give up defending yourself and just agree with what they're saying, because you just hope that this will at least make them leave you alone. I feel so bad for her and now that she knows that KH's position might be in jeopardy because he was dragged into this, she feels even more guilty. I completely understand her reasoning in not wanting to pursue a relationship with KH straight away and why she would back off so he doesn't lose the job he's worked so hard for. 

KH is just something else isn't he. I just adore him more and more after every episode because he continues to show us what determination is all about. Not just in continuing to support and encourage WW but in his career too, he knows that he is the one with the skills to do what he does and has gotten his position on his own. So awesome watching him challenge ZY when she wanted WW to leave, yes she might be putting in good words for him but he's the one doing the work and essentially bringing in the profit so I would assume the big bosses know who is more important and capable. I love that he still openly pursues WW and has never once tried to hide or deny his feelings for her. The scene where they both drink at the park after the office confrontation was perfect in showing just how much these two know eachother and how much their relationship has developed. 

KF and DW continue to make me laugh out loud. I was waiting for KF to realise that she actually liked DW and jealous in denial KF was hilarious. I love that DW became a puppy following KF around when he realised she was such a loyal friend. They are adorable and so fun to watch.

I really wish this drama was more than 13 episodes. I need more JL and PG! They are perfect for eachother and suit this drama genre so much. Next week looks drama filled with some noble antics from WW and looks like KH leaves the press conference they've worked so hard towards to pursue WW. I definitely think HY will grow up and leave WW alone after he figures out that she didn't cheat but does have real feelings for KH. I foresee ZY backing off too when she realises she doesnt have any sway over KH anymore. I highly doubt KH will lose his position because the product they've established is probably going to do extremely well and the bosses know they can't lose him. I cannot wait for KH and WW to finally get together!!!! Looks like he meets her at their special karaoke booth too! Can't wait for the next episode :D

Ayamei originally planned three different endings for the novel and the one that made it to publication was the "best one" with the happiest ending. I think it's actually pretty romantic when you read the original text. As for how the drama will end, the director said he liked the ending, so I'll trust him. Much of the drama and characters deviated from the novel so I don't anticipate the same ending as the novel. I don't need a wedding or proposal (I'm going to guess it's DW and KF's wedding in the preview) for the OTP, just walking hand in hand off into the sunset together would make me cry tears of happiness. 

This episode clearly revealed why CKH started distancing himself from GZY and why he could no longer love her. It becomes clear that he actually disliked more and more the pressure and the abortion was the trigger for him to resent his girlfriend. But due to the promise, he didn't break up with her. He wanted a family in order to have a haven of peace, a space where he could relax. But GZY saw this as a burden because she wanted him to be on the top. She forced him to climb higher and higher so that he would belong to the elite. Yet, this was never his dream.

Even before meeting WW, he could no longer enjoy his life: drinking and sleeping around was a way for him to cope with his job. I can also understand why CKH got upset with GZY all the time as she was always diminishing his own hard work. In reality, GZY is not really interested in CKH, she just wants him to secure a high position that's why she will propose this deal to ZWW thinking that CKH will choose his career over his love. GZY has never realized that this ambition was never his in the beginning. CKH will choose WW over his career by leaving everything behind. First, CKH runs to rescue WW from 321 and then ZWW decides to leave the company in order to help CKH to keep his job.

Hayoi is a terrible person and this twist with sister Maizi was really interesting. In reality, he was the one cheating on ZWW because deep down he really thought that his boss had some feelings for him so that he could use this to his advantage. In my opinion, he kept his options open... if she was interested in him, he would have dumped WW. His clinging reveals one thing: his huge ego.He can not bear the thought that he was defeated by someone else. He was not just selfish and even narcissistic, he was also a hypocrite. He is a mixture of a complex of superiority and inferiority. Due to his social background, he saw himself lower but wanted to climb the social ladder and thought, he could use people in order to achieve it. He never believed in his own skills. He never imagined that sister Maizi would hire him due to his competence. He met her through CKH that's why he thought, connections are everything. This contrasts so much to CKH's personality who never wanted to rely on anyone and wanted to succeed on his own. This also points out that GZY never really trusted CKH's abilities, she thought that he always needed support and connection to succeed in his work. 

As you can see, this episode was not a filler in my opinion. It explains why CKH was rather rude in the beginning but could shine more and more. WW was the reason for him to escape from the pressure... she gave him a goal in his life as he had lost his own long ago.  

I would like to add that in reality Hayoi's plan to have a humble home and be married was not his real dream. 321 had ambition and deep down, he wanted to climb the social ladder but thought, he couldn't dream big due to his social background and his own insecurities. He kept admiring CKH for his flat and car, he knew the model which showed that his frugality was not real. He was greedy. On the other hand, this is exactly the reason why CKH was attracted to ZWW from the start because her life plan reminded him a lot of his lost dream: a family. But at the same time, he saw the flaws of this plan: too strict and too rigid. Yet, CKH wanted her to realize that this could never come true like that. Nonetheless this also confirms once again that this plan was never the true wish of Hayoi because he planned it like an event. This was not something natural... that's why ZWW could never be happy with 321, as deep down he wished something else.  

Really enjoyed episode 12. I am so glad that the people around 321 called him out on his behavior. His dad telling him that he didn't have to make her say it out loud and in front of other people was great. I was especially happy when his boss rejected him and told him what an idiot he is and that he can not compare to CKH, I was standing up clapping with joy for that. My biggest wish for episode 13 is that the truth comes out that the never slept together and the co-workers stop disrespecting her. 

Did they ever show why CKH made a promise to ZY's mother to take care of her?  Also, where are CKH's parents?  I know they mentioned ZWW's parents being outside of Tapei.  I guess those some questions I have and I'm ok if they are not fully answered. 

Thanks @Ahpheng for posting the last part of the book.  I don't have instagram so I cannot like the translators.

Eeekkk HY is really stepping up the creep factor isn't he.. poor WW.. I really can't stand him continually stalking and forcing WW in the teaser. I can't wait to see her admit her feelings for KH especially to HY because he's clearly in denial and convinced that WW will go back to him because he's always been able to manipulate and guilt trip her back but not anymore mister!

Sad this drama is ending this week but super excited for our main couple to finally get together!

Side note: PG and JL just need to date already, they are both so darn attractive and have such good chemistry. I know they're friends in real life already so here's hoping all of the intense kisses brings out a different type of feeling between them. A fangirl can dream right? :D

I feel like I need to watch episode 12 all over again. 

Everyone had such good points a bout what 321 really wants vs what KH really wants.

ZY is so annoyingly pathetic. I personally think that she is a creep too. It is really creepy how she weaved her way into every aspect of KH's company. She is best friends with all of the higher ups and their wives. She has this rapport with his team members, and it's like why? She did not previously work there. She does not work in that field. I have known couples, but never someone's significant other being this intertwined in their other half's workplace, unless they worked together. For her to be so smart, and accomplished, she seemed content on being a Stepford wife to KH, to the point of outright obsession. At this point, I feel like she is angry with him and that she feels entitled to be with him. As if those 10 years have bound them together and they can't separate no matter what.

When WW lied to 321's father that she slept with KH in their home, my mouth was open. That is what you call desperation to get the heck away from someone. I didn't feel sorry for 321 or his dad. They BOTH manipulated WW and I felt glad that she was finally rid of them. Then 321 had to go and enter the project. At this point, let's all ban together and get WW a restraining order because this is ridiculous. Kudos to Sister Maizi for letting him know he doesn't hold a candle to KH. WW desperately wants to move on and heal past that toxic relationship and he just won't allow her to do that.

I laughed out loud when DW came to work and practically screamed, "GOOD MORNING!" He was so giddy, he and KF are the comic relief this show needs. 

@0ly40 Thanks for the photo. Darn, I knew it!- We were trolled on the "wedding". Kudos to whoever guessed it was KF wedding. Looks like WW & CKH were maid of honor and best man. If it was a double wedding both couples would be standing next to each other, but only KF and DW are standing side by side. Oh well, still hoping for a satisfying ending for WW & CKH

Extended Ep 13 clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcaVb79BMZ0

Ep 13 BTS (including wedding scene):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xJ2XTdkUXU

Helloooooo OMG I just watched Ep13 but what's going on? Is that the finale epsiode? I'm so blur. Can any kind friend reply? If that's the finale episode, then I'm sad.

By the way, in which episode has that steamy bed scene of Kehuan and Weiwei?

4 hours ago, alekaonu said:

Helloooooo OMG I just watched Ep13 but what's going on? Is that the finale epsiode? I'm so blur. Can any kind friend reply? If that's the finale episode, then I'm sad.

By the way, in which episode has that steamy bed scene of Kehuan and Weiwei?

Yes chingu - thats the finale.

And I am not so happy at all too....

I kinda got what I guessed will happen - but not what I hoped will happen.

Maybe subs will change it a bit - but I feel like there is so much missing. Is the queston to drink a coffee together enough for us as a happy end even it points out they will meet and be together in the end? Finaly she asked him out - thats nice - but we need a few more scenes after that.

And where are the other coke guy and the wonderful sister of the witch? Speaking of the witch - i did´t get enough of her beeing shocked in the end....

One more episode could change a lot here. But sadly - it is the end.

Archived