[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

“When The Camellia Blooms” + “Secret Boutique” Both Premiere To Higher Ratings Than Their Predecessors

Sep 19, 2019
by E. Cha

4689e013fb604be89178a2ebcb5c6aa0.jpeg?s=

Three new dramas joined the Wednesday-Thursday ratings fray last night!

KBS 2TV’s “When the Camellia Blooms” premiered at the top of its time slot on September 18. The new romantic comedy starring Kang Ha Neul and Gong Hyo Jin scored average viewership ratings of 6.3 percent and 7.4 percent for its two parts, making it the most-watched drama of the night.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1353409wpp/when-the-camellia-blooms-secret-boutique-both-premiere-to-higher-ratings-than-their-predecessors

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh this is such a fun funny cute first episode to introduce our offbeat town characters.  However, it was bookended by the murder scenes of the lady with the germanium bracelet!  I am already attached to our characters!

A couple of thoughts.  

• Time jump, time skips, seems to be at work here... based on the look of Yong Shik's police uniform.  I would be heartbroken if the last scene was of Yong Shik's anguish over Dong Baek.  At least we know it is someone both Yong Shik and his police friend know. 
  • The romance has a fairytale beginning for YS with a clever twist on feminism or sexism.  Here, we have a guy dreaming of falling in love with a princess (not a girl for a prince charming).  Such reversal! And of all thing a sophisticated princess named Diana who comes from Seoul. :lol:  I love that Yong Shik's strong commitment to find his ideal love off of those pure qualities enabled him to see in Dong Baek those qualities that she couldn't see in herself.   I love that his physical attractions was quickly replaced for his admiration of her character.  It often takes viewers to the nth episode to find if the leads are deserving of each other.  Here, it's 1/2 way through E1.  
  • Ongsan is a matriarch town because it operates on its famous marinated crabs.  The women controls the household incomes and the men.  It's a different take on marriage and human relationships.  Not necessarily a good one either given the imbalance in power between the spouses.
  • Camellia is an oasis for the married men, it's their Switzerland where activities are not reported to the spouses.  The bar's success is a blessing and curse for Dong Baek but she endures the town's gossips for their survival.   If you really look at it, the women would know the truth if they pay a visit to Camellia to see for themselves.  LOL However, this is more about lack of communication between the spouses more than anything.
  • I cringe at the implications of how women are capable of mistreating other women.  Is it really in our female nature to be uncaring and judge-y?  
  • I like Yong Shik's mom already! Being a single parent allows her to relate to Dong Baek.  How about that stern convo between the crab ladies!?  No doubt she thinks her son is too driven by his sense of justice, perhaps too idealistic so that it gets him into trouble.   How will she view Yong Shik's affection for another single mom from the viewpoint of a parent?  Would it reflect her own experience in a positive way?  I can't wait to see her meeting Yong Shik and her son later on cuz it is one of the important messages the drama can deliver.
  • Dong Baek is pragmatic to the nth degree. Her strength lies in her honesty and integrity, how she views her circumstances.  She is realistic that she needs to do things to survive, but make decisions smartly and not out of desperation.  She surprised me by taking the drink from optician Noh though I like that she used the occasion to clearly deliver her msg about her role as the bar owner.  DB is very much like Yong Shik in that she has strong feelings about justice.  What is different is that she is more eloquent in voicing her opinions :lol: 
  • GHJ is amazing so far.  DB's quiet demeanor can't hide the intense gaze and upstanding character.  I love her strength, her soft voice delivers the msg more powerful than the yelling of drunk men.  
  • Young Shik is a country soul who grew up leaving his hometown for bigger things dejectedly came home still yearning for city life after his relocation demotion.  Too funny that he aspires for the refined ways. Too funny that he has such fondness for the books and bookstores.  OMG, I had to google Henry Ward Beecher quotes! Where is human nature so weak in a book store? I think YS doesn't quite get the meaning of that quote! :lol:
  • Dong Baek understanding and keep writing "it's ok" touches me so!
  • KHN is built for this role.  His Young Shik is precious.  I want a man who loves me like YS to DB, kudos on how he took/stole back the 8000 won for his love. LOL
  • Wake me up when optician Noh and his wife lawyer Hong becomes likeable!  I see the potential so am anticipating the character arc!  Laughed out loud when politician wannabe Noh try to warm his way into the police force by buying the drinks.
  • Lee Sang Yi is already funny, hope his role gets bigger.  I also want all the husbands to stage a revolt one of these days.  Go on strike... bros.

Let's see how E2 goes.  E1 is quite charming really! :wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 4

I'm definitely in trouble. I'm a huge fan of kim ji suk, so I knew coming in that my ship would sink because he's the second lead. That being said, so far, I'm unimpressed with his character. He definitely comes off as not a nice guy and when compared to Haneul's character, even more so. I can't wait to see how this plays out. My prediction is that both the side relationships (the peanut guy lol and his lawyer wife/ Kim Ji Suk's character and his instagram wife) will fall back in love with each other via finding out why they fell in love with each other in the first place. Also, in the drama's description, it says that Dong Baek's love interests are a "good, bad, and cheap guy". The good guy is Haneul's character, the cheap guy I'm assuming is the land lord, and the bad guy...is unfortunately Kim Ji Suk. He definitely seems like he's a family man, so I'm looking forward to him redeeming himself by becoming more involved with his son's life, even if it excludes being with his mother. What are your guys' impressions of the men? 

• Like 12

A pretty interesting drama so far~ though it's not really appealing to me much y'know? 

I find the people real nosy when Hyo Jin set up her bar in Ongsan. Like how the men were disappointed that she was a single mom & the women were relieved that she wasn't a single lady geez:P or how they patronise her for not having a husband.:rolleyes:

Ha Neul is like a village idiot here LoL!:lol: He's all brawn with no brain. His character seem to be comic relief atm. 

If that flashback is any indication, I sure hope nothing happens to Hyo Jin..:( As always I love her style, she looks great with long hair:D 

• Like 10

The mystery is killing me! That arm and bracelet looks like it belongs to DB. And I am in love with DB's son, love it how he sticks up for his mom against those neighborhood men. Geez, the Jessica chick is just cold! Breaks my heart that she doesn't love or care for her baby the way she should. Looking forward to more episodes!

• Like 8

So the murderer, Joker, kills women who are weak or bullied. I feel like the woman is Son Dambi's character after she stole the bracelet from DB or DB gives it to her. Hint from her character, she feels like she will die young and lives for today. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

I am sorry, I just watched the 2nd episode and I AM SO CONFUSED....!!!

I’ve been looking forward to this drama from the trailers - heartwarming, rural neighborhood rom-com, I love Kang Haneul (YS) as the fumbling but charming male lead, Gong Hyo Jin (DB) as the earnest but vulnerable female lead with a past and of course, Kim Ji Suk as 2nd lead (I adored him in 20th Century Boy & Girl & Top Star Yoo Baek!)...AND THEN...

*spoilers ahead*

Spoiler

The episode one and two openings with the ominous crime scene and what looked like DB’s bracelet on a dead victim , the ongoing discussion at the police station about the serial killer “Joker” and where the phrase “...I told you not to be a joke/stop being a joke?” already appeared twice. WHAT??? NOOOOOOOO...I don’t want a melo drama in the episodes to come, hints of tragedy and death, in addition to the women in the community constantly badgering and bullying DB and the men seemed like cowards. This wasn’t what I expected at all....:cold_sweat:

I enjoyed our leads’ moments, but it WAS SO JARRING with the other elements. Who’s the writer? I feel like crying, it’s like the writer is about to ruin a good story. :bawling:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jbying7 said:

...AND THEN...

I have been looking forward to this drama, too, but I'm not sure about watching it if

Spoiler

the FL might die.

I got about halfway through episode one but had that feeling of dreaded "what if" so I stopped and now I'm not sure whether to follow this drama or not.  :unsure: 

My heart has been broken by too many dramas, so should I trust this one?  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jbying7 said:

I am sorry, I just watched the 2nd episode and I AM SO CONFUSED....!!!

I’ve been looking forward to this drama from the trailers - heartwarming, rural neighborhood rom-com, I love Kang Haneul (YS) as the fumbling but charming male lead, Gong Hyo Jin (DB) as the earnest but vulnerable female lead with a past and of course, Kim Ji Suk as 2nd lead (I adored him in 20th Century Boy & Girl & Top Star Yoo Baek!)...AND THEN...

*spoilers ahead*

Hide contents

The episode one and two openings with the ominous crime scene and what looked like DB’s bracelet on a dead victim , the ongoing discussion at the police station about the serial killer “Joker” and where the phrase “...I told you not to be a joke/stop being a joke?” already appeared twice. WHAT??? NOOOOOOOO...I don’t want a melo drama in the episodes to come, hints of tragedy and death, in addition to the women in the community constantly badgering and bullying DB and the men seemed like cowards. This wasn’t what I expected at all....:cold_sweat:

I enjoyed our leads’ moments, but it WAS SO JARRING with the other elements. Who’s the writer? I feel like crying, it’s like the writer is about to ruin a good story. :bawling:

The writer for Fight for My Way wrote this one, which is why I'm giving it a chance! But I feel you on the tone switches at the opening and closing of the episodes. Um, this is a rom/com right? What drama am I watching?

• Like 11

“When The Camellia Blooms” Sees Impressive Jump In Viewership Ratings For Day 2

Sep 20, 2019
by S. Park

757dd55ec86947beaa2a7e357628aa05.jpeg?s=

“When the Camellia Blooms” is continuing its lead!

According to Nielsen Korea, the September 19 broadcast of KBS 2TV’s newest drama recorded a national average of 6.7 and 8.3 percent during the third and fourth episodes, respectively.

“When the Camellia Blooms” premiered as the No. 1 drama in its time slot on September 18 with 6.3 percent and 7.4 percent and has already surpassed 8 percent by its second day.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1353606wpp/when-the-camellia-blooms-sees-impressive-jump-in-viewership-ratings-for-day-2

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely loving this drama. 

Yong Shik & Dong Baek are the most innocent couple. They totally fit each other with DB being too accommodating toward others even when they treats her badly and YS being someone who simply can't turn a blind eye towards injustice.

Jong Ryul is supposed to be the "bad guy" but I just can't hate a guy wearing a baby carrier. And I kinda feel sorry he has to deal with such a wife...

My favorite character has to be Pil Goo. That kid actor is super feisty and adorable at the same time. That scene when he was telling his mom how tired he was for having to always protect her had me bawling.

Note: I'm trying to move-on from HDL but everytime I see Pill Goo, I'm reminded of KCS :bawling:

• Like 12

The main leads are too adorable! If anyone was still unsure of how cute they were, watching the first episode should prove it to them. I loved the pilot episode. It was so refreshing and delightful. I enjoyed the little quirks of a small town; nosy neighbours, the local politician and his clout, hostility towards the 'newbies'.

I am praying fervently and hoping that the dead body is not of Dongbaek. :tears: I have never watched Kang Ha Neul in any drama before and I was pleasantly surprised.  I thought his expressions were absolutely spotless whether being smitten by the stranger or that heartbreaking expression as he uncovers the  dead body. I hope it's the waitress, and not Dongbaek as she was in the habit of stealing small trinkets lying around.

Also, I would take a moment the other male lead with the baby! That baby makes him look super cute! If I wasn't already so impressed with the first male lead I'd surely 'ship' him with Dongbaek.

Finally, that cute baby! OMG! The baby's adorable! The little munchkin has won my heart.  :love: 

Onto Ep2 now. I wish Netflix would stream them simultaneously. The wait is killing me! :tears:

• Like 11