Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

Finished watching the latest episode, the minutes go pretty fast for me so no, it's not a boring episode.  There are moments that made me laughed out loud, 99% from Kang Ha Neul's awesomeness, haha (I've gotta screencaps them!).  If you have any doubt on how the writer able to connect the love/human interest stories to the murders, this one will get your head spinning even more on the ID of the serial killer!

Yeah,  ratings were 8.6% and 10% for E5/6. :) 

I enjoy the episode.

• Our Captain Byun does have a heart of gold.  Viewers may have regarded him as the inept police captain but in reality, he's quite thoughtful in his own ways, has treated DongBaek kindly and even tried to protect her.  Much respect to the small town policeman who didn't quite get the admiration from others, including the newly transferred Yong Sik.  We can't judge anyone by his cover, especially one not built for TV cameras :)
Spoiler

• OMG, DongBaek is the sole witness who has come in contact with the killer 6 years ago!! :huh::tears:  The last crime was committed somewhere near the vicinity of Camellia right after she opened the bar.  More questions than answers really!  Why, how and who did it! 
  • He's a regular, a nice customer whom she gives free peanuts!

• Victims:  prostitute, jjajyangmyeon delivery guy, apartment association president, 6th grade boy and skin therapist.  What is the common thread among them?  The shoes are our first real look of the killer in the open.  Is he a repairman or construction worker?
  • Best line:  How can a human beats a goblin?
  • GHJ finally said it. Admitting that her ideal man is friend Gong Yoo, a goblin in which Yong Sik could never bested.  And who said they don't have fun acting in this drama?:lol:
  • I like Yong Sik, not only for his pure heart... cuz it takes someone who is not cynical to see the best in people.  The men in this small town all kept their secrets and feelings close to heart.  Most are afraid to express their feelings or stand up to their wives.   It takes courage to bare the truth so brownie points for the confession.  Minus 1 for the delivery. :lol:
  • There's a fine line between lovestruck and stalker.  I say work the backdoor with Pil-Go YS!
  • For the love of god, Capt Byun has terrible intuition.  How!? Yong Sik and Hyang Mi? LOL
  • The case of the PPL eyecream!  A hsb who craves respect and a wife who treats him poorly.  It not only take a beautiful woman to move Kyu-Tae, nice words can do the same.  Guess he is not too different than DongBaek.  Tho I wish he doesn't doll out abuse to others as he receives them at home.  If his wife is indeed the killer, we may know why. Jealousy! Motive!
  • Lawyer Hong is not only crude, she is downright scary even in expensive designer clothes.
  • Second person on Dong Baek's side has confessed. She just needs time to let the first person go.  
  • Udon dinner at seaside proves that cheap dates can be romantic.  The sunset was beautiful.  The glance DB gave at the end is hopeful.
  • It pained me to see Dong Baek has such low self esteem. But I love how Pil-Gu existence became her beacon of light to endure the bullying and negativity. I teared up at how priceless her son is to her and how lucky she feels for having someone like him. He's a gift, not a burden to this woman.
  • Like 17

Kang Ha Neul Is The Man Gong Hyo Jin Has Been Waiting For In “When The Camellia Blooms”

Kang Ha Neul Is The Man Gong Hyo Jin Has Been Waiting For In âWhen The Camellia Bloomsâ
Sep 26, 2019
by U. Kim

Kang Ha Neul and Gong Hyo Jin will share a significant moment together in the upcoming episode of KBS 2TV’s “When the Camellia Blooms.”

“When the Camellia Blooms” tells the stories of three couples in different stages of love. The drama will focus on the romance that blossoms between Dong Baek (Gong Hyo Jin), a woman who is trapped in a certain perception about love, and Yong Shik (Kang Ha Neul), who shows undying support and love for her.

In the newly revealed stills, Dong Baek covers her face as she bursts into tears, and Yong Shik watches her with undecipherable eyes.

Credits: soompi

• Like 8
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, triplem said:

@lollyminx I first saw him in this drama called Plus Nine Boys . I recommend it if you hv time .

Ooooh the plot sounds interesting! I will definitely watch it. Thanks! :lol:

3 hours ago, Angelica Claudia said:

Glad to see you in this forum @lollyminx  :D

:lol: Yeah, I'm loving the narrative progression of this show. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I got a feeling that Joker is the repairman guy (Hong Sik) after I saw the epilogue where he ignites that lighter and he's wearing that same glove on ep 3 after he fixed the sink. May be reaching a bit but he looks very suspicious and nervous especially after Yong Sik asked him about the paint.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 8

Er, Dong Baek used to be a prostitute..?!:blink::( The sexism continues:rolleyes: I like how sassy that lawyer lady is:w00t: maybe that's why her husband goes around throwing his weight 'cause he's not given any attention/control at home. Goodness they sure live in the stone ages, holding hands mean they're dating now LoL?! Yikes. And women  should be at home with kids not driving around WoW-_-:rolleyes:

It's nice to see that the ex wants to be involved in Pil Goo's life, better late than never I suppose. Though he looks like he's not over Dong Baek yet.

LMFAo!! "How Can Any Human Being Compete With The Goblin?!":w00t::lol::w00t::lol:

• Like 10
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, chantalmocca said:

I got a feeling that Joker is the repairman guy (Hong Sik) after I saw the epilogue where he ignites that lighter and he's wearing that same glove on ep 3 after he fixed the sink. May be reaching a bit but he looks very suspicious and nervous especially after Yong Sik asked him about the paint.

LOL, it does make sense if we remember the abandoned building has to be remodeled 6 years ago into the bar.  Was the person a regular worker whom DB has frequent contact with?

Clues perhaps, Captain Byun at the scene of the killed therapist, the leaked fire sprinkler.

Spoiler

Screenshot 2019-09-26 16.57.43
Screenshot 2019-09-26 16.57.58

Zhe hand that kills, no callus, clean fingernails, doesn't seem like the person do a lot of manual labor.... feminine much? :D The second thing I noticed is that it's a big barrel marker.  As a woman, I can't control big marker to write smoothly like this person... we are looking at a male.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.57.18Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.57.33

The shoes

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.55.03

There's a time and a place for everything, including love confessions.

Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.44.16

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.40.35Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.41.28Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.41.39Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.44.50Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.46.05Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.45.32Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.46.34Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.46.44

... !!!  However...

Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.43.35

credit: Netflix

Ratings E7/8:  7.7%/10%

Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.26.53

• Like 10
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

It's nice to see that the ex wants to be involved in Pil Goo's life, better late than never I suppose.

I appreciate that the writer wrote Jong Ryul as a bit of an richard simmons (hiding his girlfriend when he was with Dongbaek) but also someone with conscience (he wants to be a dad to Pilgu). In fact, I think I like that both Hong Sik and Jong Ryul both have admirable and unadmirable traits so you can't entirely cancel Jong Ryul, but still root for Hong Sik. In Hong Sik's case, watching him stick to Dongbaek makes me think that in real life, I'd find it a little uncomfortable. However, Hong Sik makes up for it by taking Dongbaek's side, accepting her son, and telling her things she's always wanted to her/feel things she's always wanted to feel. This makes it easy to see that Hong Sik and Dongbaek belong to each other. 

The writer also wrote Jong Ryul such that you don't simply write him off as the guy who "hid" Dongbaek. He was responsible for pushing Dongbaek to be independent and run a bar, for one, and he was also there for her when no one else was. Oh and he's Pilgu's father. I like the way uri chakkanim respected Jong Ryul as Pilgu's dad and therefore, wrote him as someone who still wants to be there for him even if Jong Ryul and Dongbaek know there's no going back to their relationship anymore. It was pretty clear when they were drinking together. Dongbaek still thinks about her, but that's just it. Jong Ryul feels bad for Dongbaek and wants her to have a good life at least, but also, that's just it. I like this. :heart:

Also, I hope the issue between Dongbaek and Hong Sik's mom gets resolved soon because I thought it was out of character for her to be mad that her son is dating Dongbaek. I for one expected she would be the happiest mom knowing that his son is dating a wonderful woman, but I totally understand the anger stemming from her fear of losing her best friend. After all, her conversation with Dongbaek about being alone after your sons marry shows she is lonely and needs a friend. She's afraid Hong Sik dating Dongbaek will ruin that. I just hope she will see sense and be angry just for a day or two maybe and then realize that Hong Sik and Dongbaek dating could be a good thing for all of them. :blush:

Oh and one of my favorite parts: THE MARKET AHJUMAS SLIGHTLY CHANGING THEIR MINDS ABOUT DONGBAEK SEEING THAT HONG SIK LOVES HER. I FEEL THEY WILL EVENTUALLY GROW SUPPORTIVE AND PROTECTIVE OF HONG SIK AND DONGBAEK'S RELATIONSHIP IN THE FUTURE. I personally want to see a scene where Jong Ryul does something for Dongbaek, Hong Sik not being around, and the market ahjummas confronting Jong Ryul in behalf of Hong Sik :lol:

• Like 10
  • Love 3

I really didn't expect to like this so much, but I just adore it. I'm having some great luck with K-dramas lately, where I tune in without a lot of expectations and end up pleasantly surprised.

Of course, I love all the main actors. What a great cast.

The writer previously write "Baek-Hee Has Returned" and "Fight My Way." Both are highly recommended if you haven't seen them already. In both shows, the writer does a fantastic job creating a wacky, colorful community, and that's what we get in Ongsan.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 3-4

by quirkycase

wtcb0304-02512.jpg

Our poor male lead continues to make a terrible impression on his new crush, but his loyalty and almost child-like transparency may yet turn things around. Our heroine is very closed-off right now, but I have no doubt that perseverance will pay off in the end.

EPISODE 3: The good, the bad, and the cheap

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-3-4/#comments

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Hi everyone :)

I have to say Kang Ha Neul is such a refreshing Male Lead. I love it. 

And showing some more of his mature sides last episode while still having those weird character traits was great. 

And meanwhile i dislike the dad more and more. Going directly to the son behind DongBaeks back is such a big no. Nothing wrong with wanting a relationship with the son but uggggh.

• Like 9

On 5/21/2019 at 7:06 AM, 0ly40 said:

Dong Baek and how her life is tangled up with a good man, a bad man, and a cheap man

I assume that Kang Ha Neul is the good man. Does this make Kim Ji Suk the bad man and Oh Jung Se the cheap man? Or vice versa? Anyway, this drama looks cute. I just have to find time to catch up on it if I'm going to watch it. :)

• Like 8

Really reminds me of her older drama with Jang Hyuk where she also plays a single mom on the countryside. But I really like the flow of this so far, very simple and nostalgic with beautiful scenery. I just wished her character was more outspoken and stronger instead of so timid.

• Like 10

@anng

I probably only ever watched like 4-5 of Gong Hyo Jin's dramas & they were all really enjoyable, including this one:D She does seem to be project savvy? So In Gong Hyo Jin, We Trust eheh:lol:

As to her timidness, well..it says that this drama is slated for 16 ep. So I'm guessing to allude to the (drama) title, Dong Baek is waiting on her chance to bloom I guess. She seem to have been through a lot & suffered much pain.. but like Yong Shik keep tellin' her, that through her ordeal she still manages to have her integrity intact. Basically, give her time LoL. She'd grow into it. Hopefully ha ha. 

Honestly those pesky ahjummas should live their own lives already! And just ew to Hyang Mi washing her hair in the sink:crazy: like you do dishes etc in there, talk about lack of hygiene:P

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

@stroppyse @staygold @Lmangla if you have time, please watch this drama :D.  

YAY, we have new faces, come on guys, drop a line or two on how you feel about our little drama.^^

@lollyminx  I just want to say, do you have an opinion on why E4 (7/8) is titled Country Boy? :)

This latest episode is all about how our Yong Sik changed in the mind of DongBaek. She has always thought he was a weirdo,  a bumbling lovestruck man who thinks of her as a princess.  He speaks of her being pretty,  of being sophisticated (when she feels absolutely opposite), of how he fell in love at first sight after 3 minutes of meeting her.  In the beginning of the episode, his confession was also about him.  His feelings, his need to confess,  his own perception of Dong Baek. In reality, he knows very little about Dong Baek or her hardship.  He speaks of how he wants to protect her (physically) and her reputation (by screaming out his affection for her publicly).   We know YS' delivery didn't help, he ended burdened and embarrassed Dong Baek. The saddest part was that she lost her friend Deok Soon because of him.  I think it was then that Yong Sik fully understood how he has to think through before acting.  IMO, Yong Sik failed initially not because he was not sincere.  It's because he is a simple country boy whose delivery needed to be heartfelt in a tangible way.  

It finally happened at the bar that night sitting across a dejected Yong Sik at her most lonely and vulnerable moment.  Now that he has witnessed the embarrassing moments that she has talked about, experienced first hand her struggles,  knows of her past as a murder witness... he feels lost at how to help her.  Yet as she continues to talk of how ridiculous her life is, he found within himself the right words to comfort a friend.  It's like a revelation for me to see the man learned to channel this feeling of injustice in another way rather than his fist.  The Yong Sik of the past would go crazy.  This new man used his words instead. It was eye opening for him to get the reason why she chose to serve alcohol with her foods.   For the first time, Yong Sik verbalized what it is about Dong Baek that made her special to him.  Her kindness, her love for her child, her perseverance, dignity, integrity.  He puts into words and gave her the respect that she never had.  The compliments that she wanted to hear.  The "thank you" and appreciation that she saw at the train's lost and found.  For Dong Baek, the country boy's sincerity could not have been more clear.  I think that is why her heart starts to flutter for him.

I also found Dong Seok's confession about empty nesters interesting but have to be back to talk about it, including our Jong Ryoel. :D

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Liking the drama so far! I am guessing...that Joker could be... Heung Sik (the guy who helps to repair stuff around Camelia? At the end of ep 4, we saw someone scratching the table w a lighter (we know the Joker’s msg was scorched later on)- during the time Yong Sik was re-painting the walls, i rem Heung Sik was around too... Sometimes, the character that usually go unnoticed could be the psycho...haha

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

There are quite a few votes out there for Heung Sik repair guy.  :D  Let’s go with him being the Joker.  Here are my questions, let’s throw out some guesses based on what we know so far to see if we can solve the case before Yong Sik! :lol:

Question 1:  Why does he kill? aka motive?

Question 2:  Why and how did he choose his victims? What is the common thread running through all?

Question 3:  Why DongBaek was at the therapist’s office? Was it related to her pregnancy?

Question 4:  How did she survive as a witness?

Question 5: Why did he not kill her then and now?

• Like 8