Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

3 hours ago, jbying7 said:

I am sorry, I just watched the 2nd episode and I AM SO CONFUSED....!!!

I’ve been looking forward to this drama from the trailers - heartwarming, rural neighborhood rom-com, I love Kang Haneul (YS) as the fumbling but charming male lead, Gong Hyo Jin (DB) as the earnest but vulnerable female lead with a past and of course, Kim Ji Suk as 2nd lead (I adored him in 20th Century Boy & Girl & Top Star Yoo Baek!)...AND THEN...

*spoilers ahead*

Hide contents

The episode one and two openings with the ominous crime scene and what looked like DB’s bracelet on a dead victim , the ongoing discussion at the police station about the serial killer “Joker” and where the phrase “...I told you not to be a joke/stop being a joke?” already appeared twice. WHAT??? NOOOOOOOO...I don’t want a melo drama in the episodes to come, hints of tragedy and death, in addition to the women in the community constantly badgering and bullying DB and the men seemed like cowards. This wasn’t what I expected at all....:cold_sweat:

I enjoyed our leads’ moments, but it WAS SO JARRING with the other elements. Who’s the writer? I feel like crying, it’s like the writer is about to ruin a good story. :bawling:

The writer for Fight for My Way wrote this one, which is why I'm giving it a chance! But I feel you on the tone switches at the opening and closing of the episodes. Um, this is a rom/com right? What drama am I watching?

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

Hmm for those who did not read the synopsis, it is a rom-com thriller :skull:. Whatever that means :lol:, so be prepared yeah .  Yet to watch the episodes. Let’s see how it goes . 

Anyhow drama did wonderfully at the ratings 

8.3% for the 2nd half 

Spoiler

K nets loved it ... 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/09/when-camellia-blooms-eps-3-4-spoilers.html?m=1

Article: Naver 'When the Camellia Blooms' Gong Hyo Jin's husband used to be Kim Ji Suk... Begins 'some' relationship with Kang Ha Neul? 

1. [+194,-4]
The actress I believe in and watch, Gongvely. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ The actors are all good at acting. It's fun. 

2. [+152,-0]
The scriptwriter makes it intense and thrilling.. The four characters at the end didn't say anything, but I can read their minds just by looking at their faces. ㅋㅋ

3. [+140,-1]
There aren't any dramas worth watching these days. It's severe. I've always been watching tvN, but now I have a drama to watch on a public tv channel. ㅎㅎ Kang Ha Neul seems really sly. And everyone has good acting skills. 

4. [+73,-0]
This is so interesting. ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

5. [+62,-1]
Ah, I laughed and cried too. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ This is so fun that it's crazy. 

6. [+34,-2]
Kang Ha Neul's acting is good. The silent atmosphere, romcom atmosphere, his acting color has a difference in those. Gong Hyo Jin is just speaking slower. She has the same expressions and acting. 

7. [+26,-0]
This drama is so interesting. Kang Ha Neul's acting is the best. 

8. [+20,-0]
Pil Goo's acting is amazing, really. His crying scene today slaps adult actors in their faces. 

9. [+23,-0]
Not Kang Ha Neul, it's Yong Sik. Hwang Yong Sik. 

10. [+11,-0]
tvN and JTBC's dramas have realistic backgrounds, but why does dramas from public tv channels make it so obvious that it's a filming set? Is this their concept? 

Article: Naver 'When the Camellia Blooms' Gong Hyo Jin takes notice of her old  Kim Ji Suk, grabs Kang Ha Neul's hand  

1. [+1088,-6]
Kang Ha Neul's pronunciations and vocalizations are good. I knew that he's a good actor in all genres.. But even the character Yong Sik, he's silly, innocent and comical, he fits that character well like wearing a nice fitting shirt. He's portraying his characters really well. ㅋㅋ The ending scene that makes me curious about the next episode is amazing. 

2. [+456,-3]
Hwang Yong Sik, the country bumpkin fatale. 
[t/n: supposedly comes from the term 'femme fatale']

3. [+418,-3]
For me, I think Actress Kim Sun Young did the best in portraying her role. The way she speaks, the little ahjumma gestures, clothes, hair, and makeup... That purplish eyeshadow, compact pressed powder that won't allow the pores to breathe, and purplish rouge. ㅋㅋㅋ She did the makeup that ahjummas would do in the past. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I get surprised at the details every time. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I think majority of the residents in Ongsan are musical actors. ㅋㅋㅋ They have unique vocalizations and acting habits. ㅋㅋㅋ For a moment, I thought I was watching a really interesting musical. ㅋㅋㅋ Perhaps the actors are really of high quality, so I'm really, really, enjoying this :)

4. [+328,-3]
Comedy and thrill come back and forth. It was done nicely. The scriptwriter is daebak. S/he made it exciting to watch. ㅋㅋ Yong Sik letting his imaginations run and smiling at the end was funny. ㅋㅋ

5. [+175,-7]
Gong Hyo Jin is pitiful. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ  Let's be happy!!! ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ 

6. [+137,-6]
But seriously, the casting is perfect.. There are no acting holes in here!! The scriptwriter balances things well too.. It was calm at first and the graffiti follows, turning into a thriller... Wow, good. 

7. [+73,-1]
Kang Ha Neul who portrays all characters well. ㅜㅜ His voice is really good too.. Hwang Yong Sik is sexy with that innocence. ㅠㅠ He's so cute. ㅋㅋ

• Like 13

“When The Camellia Blooms” Sees Impressive Jump In Viewership Ratings For Day 2

Sep 20, 2019
by S. Park

757dd55ec86947beaa2a7e357628aa05.jpeg?s=

“When the Camellia Blooms” is continuing its lead!

According to Nielsen Korea, the September 19 broadcast of KBS 2TV’s newest drama recorded a national average of 6.7 and 8.3 percent during the third and fourth episodes, respectively.

“When the Camellia Blooms” premiered as the No. 1 drama in its time slot on September 18 with 6.3 percent and 7.4 percent and has already surpassed 8 percent by its second day.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1353606wpp/when-the-camellia-blooms-sees-impressive-jump-in-viewership-ratings-for-day-2

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely loving this drama. 

Yong Shik & Dong Baek are the most innocent couple. They totally fit each other with DB being too accommodating toward others even when they treats her badly and YS being someone who simply can't turn a blind eye towards injustice.

Jong Ryul is supposed to be the "bad guy" but I just can't hate a guy wearing a baby carrier. And I kinda feel sorry he has to deal with such a wife...

My favorite character has to be Pil Goo. That kid actor is super feisty and adorable at the same time. That scene when he was telling his mom how tired he was for having to always protect her had me bawling.

Note: I'm trying to move-on from HDL but everytime I see Pill Goo, I'm reminded of KCS :bawling:

• Like 12
  • Love 1

The main leads are too adorable! If anyone was still unsure of how cute they were, watching the first episode should prove it to them. I loved the pilot episode. It was so refreshing and delightful. I enjoyed the little quirks of a small town; nosy neighbours, the local politician and his clout, hostility towards the 'newbies'.

I am praying fervently and hoping that the dead body is not of Dongbaek. :tears: I have never watched Kang Ha Neul in any drama before and I was pleasantly surprised.  I thought his expressions were absolutely spotless whether being smitten by the stranger or that heartbreaking expression as he uncovers the  dead body. I hope it's the waitress, and not Dongbaek as she was in the habit of stealing small trinkets lying around.

Also, I would take a moment the other male lead with the baby! That baby makes him look super cute! If I wasn't already so impressed with the first male lead I'd surely 'ship' him with Dongbaek.

Finally, that cute baby! OMG! The baby's adorable! The little munchkin has won my heart.  :love: 

Onto Ep2 now. I wish Netflix would stream them simultaneously. The wait is killing me! :tears:

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I started watching it today and it made me want to watch it again.  Missed the two leads after so long and the first episode has already given me the chill. Will definitely watch it till the end.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Yongzura said:

I started watching it today and it made me want to watch it again.  Missed the two leads after so long and the first episode has already given me the chill. Will definitely watch it till the end.

Hello chingu! :) I also liked the first two episodes. The mixture of comedy, drama and crime is well balanced. The protagonists are very interesting too.

As for the serial killer....

Spoiler

I am quite sure that Dongbaek is not the victim. Like @confusedheart326, I believe that the waitress got killed by the joker as the serial killer confused her with Dongbaek due to the bracelet. Don't forget that she often steals things. I have the impression that the stalker and the serial killer are two different persons.

Strangely I am suspecting as the serial killer No's wife, the lawyer, because she is very precise about words. She kept correcting her husband... so she takes words very seriously. Jokes are often connected to words. Furthermore the serial killer didn't kill for a long time. Why? Maybe it has to do with her husband's behavior. No's wife feels threatened... especially, when she sees that two men are trying to get close to Dongbaek, whereas No's wife is supposed to be admired due to her social status and family connections.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 9

Wait. Are they hinting that Yong Shik might be.. the Joker?! :blink: His reaction in the flashback is hard to read LoL. 

Anyway, those neighborhood ladies should mind their own damn business ffs :rolleyes: If they just take time to work on self-improvement, like oh Idk make the effort to look nice, perhaps their men won't go astray? Ugh it just bothered me as I personally dealt with similar cattiness in my own life! My heart breaks for Pil Goo too.. :tears: but he turned out well, more than I can say for his deadbeat dad. The only good thing he got from him is his talent for baseball.

I love how Yong Shik's mom defended Dong Baek & even Pil Goo has taken a liking to Yong Shik ^_^ The ending scene of ep.04 killed me 'cause he couldn't believe how quickly their friendship escalated! :w00t::lol::phew:

• Like 11

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I hope that you are right about the victim.  I'd like to watch this show but I need to be sure about this first.

• Like 9

Watched E2 late last night and still loving the drama.

@thistle this one is a good improvement for KBS, it has cable offbeat quality.  It obviously connected with the general audience given the ratings cuz really, it is no high glam high budget show.  It’s good script and acting for that to happen :)

@Latte_Anyday oh hahaha, his face! the boy just accepts things.  LOL. You can see YS processing things by just looking at his face!!! Good in a way being transparent;  in some ways, could be concerning.  I think this is why YS’s mom worries.  Things could be too black and white for him.  He can also be blunt in words and actions so he can get hurt and hurt others unknowingly.   I find that DB is hilariously dense regarding YS actions.  He still is a weirdo :lol: 

YS and DB are innocent in love and relationships.  Feels like there is not a hate bone in DB’s body.  She was thrust into adulthood/motherhood and seemed stuck in this child woman stage.  I think it partially explained why DB is intimidated by the village ladies.  She has no idea how to establish her presence and fight back.  But then, she was raised in a single parent household too, with no adult male presence when was young.  Awww, no fatherly protective figure.

My heart breaks for DB when she said she would like to work at the train lost and found office since people who come to the place are often thankful to recover their belongings.  No one has ever said thank you to her. What do you all think she mean by it? I assume no one has appreciated her or that she feels she is never valued or was helpful/loved by others.

I don’t think the murders are straightforward.  There could be two separate people, stalker and murderer. Or the murder could be accidental.  My understanding is the note means “don’t be a joke, a person that people don’t respect”?!

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@thistle this one is a good improvement for KBS, it has cable offbeat quality.  It obviously connected with the general audience given the ratings cuz really, it is no high glam high budget show.  It’s good script and acting for that to happen :)

Good recommendation.  :)  I'll keep this drama on my "to watch" list.....but I still kinda need to know who the corpse is, so I hope I can trust the writer to do this right.

• Like 9

The main actors and whole cast are good. They are really strong veteran actor that's why I like it. The film quality and lighting feels rustic and retro too. 

I didn't watch any previews so seeing KHN like that was disorientating. I didn't even know I was used to him being a city slicker vs a clueless country bumpkin. I laughed yet was shocked at the same time.

This drama has a gritty feel to it. The opening scene freaked me out. I didn't start it expecting the female lead to potentially die that's all. The drama is certainly good just that am unsure if it's my time of drama if it turns too realistically dark.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Hello chingu! :) I also liked the first two episodes. The mixture of comedy, drama and crime is well balanced. 

Reveal hidden contents

I am quite sure that Dongbaek is not the victim.

Here she comes, the Master of the theories... At first I had a hard time to follow the timeline... the present... the past ... 6 years ago.. then back to the present... etc. One has to be conscious of which is which.

Since now, the drama managed to make us feel curious who the victim is, we just need to follow the storyline, the characters etc.  First I wonder did he feel heartbroken or relief when he saw the victim? 

I also love the last scene where all the three characters were in the same location at the same time..That's interesting

Till then....

• Like 11

@bedifferent

Yea they're both naive but that's what makes them adorable LoL? Is it me that sees Ha Neul trying to suppress his laughter in their scenes together?:w00t: Like I could see he's trying hard to keep a straight face:D I like that Yong Shik is so upright which makes him a good policeman, his squabbles with Dong Baek's landlord is a hoot!:lol: They're all kind of a weirdo in Ongsan:P While I like that the women rule the roost, they still need to work on their stinky attitudes:rolleyes:

Yea I do think her desire to work for the lost & found centre at the train station is because no one has ever valued her before as she said.. Her role as a bar owner is a thankless and painful one as you can see she gets discriminated by the women but taken advantage of by the men<_<

The drama has many comedic elements as well as slice of life moments, it's just the serial murders are throwing me off a lil ha-ha:P

• Like 12

Take a bow, @bebebisous33 ! *applause*  That was very well put! You gave me much to ponder over.  Brilliant how you deduced that the lawyer's wife might be the dreadful 'Joker'. Also, the theory of the stalker and the Joker being two different people might actually be right. Your comments were extremely insightful. Besides being 'Certified PAC Member' , you are also most certainly a 'Certified Amateur Sleuth'. 

So I finally watched Ep2. I am taking my time watching the episode, relishing it. YS continues to slay as the simple country bumpkin with a heart of gold. The actor does such a great job in conveying that sincerity and innocence of a simple country bumpkin who is all brawn and heart.  The guy is completely smitten and it's adorable how he follows DB around claiming to patrol the area as a cop.  #justdoinghisduty (as a man completely smitten who also happens to be a cop) :wub::D

The neighbourhood ladies continue to be nosy and make DB's life miserable. I am anticipating DB's mom's reaction when she finds out that YS is actually smitten with DB. Not an educated lawyer as she believes but an unwed, single mother who runs a pub and the most 'hated' person in the neighbourhood. I hope she continues to support DB and her son and approves of the match. Since she herself had experienced the hardships after being widowed, trying to earn a livelihood by doing a job which was then frowned upon, I have a feeling she would be much more accepting than the neighbourhood ladies and gossip mongers who would have a field day, if they find out that the most eligible bachelor is  grabbed by the most ineligible person in the neighbourhood.  I loved YS's mom's reaction when DB jokingly asked her if she was willing to consider her as a DIL as her youngest son was now back in town. :D So I am expecting some fireworks there but I am sure eventually the mother would accept her with open arms. DB has already made a place for herself and her son in her heart.

The scene at the railway station was quite heartbreaking. So was the scene where mother and son break down. I wanted to comfort that poor boy. Such a brave boy! So much maturity at such a young age. Just too heartbreaking. 

If that had not already ripped your heart apart, get ready for another emotional onslaught. The scene at the railway station! Whatever  recovery my heart had made , thanks to the comic moments between YS and DB, it was again plunged into pain as DB revealed about her dream job. Sometimes an innocuous  'Thank You' is all one needs to brighten up one's day. I like how the drama has a mixture of comic  and heartbreaking moments. Never a dull moment in the show yet. The audience goes through a  roller-coaster of emotions! 

Oh and did I mention how my heart hurt when  DB and her ex were sitting and discussing the past. It broke my heart to see how much she loved that guy. She still continues to wear that bracelet which he got her! What does that mean for our adorable YS? Will he get a chance to make his place in her heart?

I think the scene that left me on tenterhooks was the 'awkward' last scene!:joy: I can't wait for the next episode where all hell will break loose !:w00t: 

• Like 6
  • Love 5