Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

Disclaimer - I have not watched, but have read some segments.

@bedifferent’s post on Camellias had me thinking...and then there was that cryptic voiceover (?) with the son’s words “My mother’s miraculous spring days ended just like that, and I grew up under those kind of spring days”

Camellias bloom in primarily in autumn/early winter.  Usually when my Camellias bloom, they tell me autumn is around the corner and we’re finally saying goodbye to summer.  And as @bedifferent has mentioned, they are really hardy failsafe plants where I live...unlike my roses. <_< who have to be mollycoddled (fed just right) and protected from weeds, insects, fungal attacks (you name it, they’ll get it).

Title of this drama is When the Camellias Bloom...so now that spring is over, there needs to be a summer (waiting/parting) before the Camellias bloom in autumn (reunion of the OTP).  Don’t know.  Taking a quick stab at it now that the ending is nigh :lol:

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Disclaimer - I have not watched, but have read some segments.

@bedifferent’s post on Camellias had me thinking...and then there was that cryptic voiceover (?) with the son’s words “My mother’s miraculous spring days ended just like that, and I grew up under those kind of spring days”

Camellias bloom in primarily in autumn/early winter.  Usually when my Camellias bloom, they tell me autumn is around the corner and we’re finally saying goodbye to summer.  And as @bedifferent has mentioned, they are really hardy failsafe plants where I live...unlike my roses. <_< who have to be mollycoddled (fed just right) and protected from weeds, insects, fungal attacks (you name it, they’ll get it).

Title of this drama is When the Camellias Bloom...so now that spring is over, there needs to be a summer (waiting/parting) before the Camellias bloom in autumn (reunion of the OTP).  Don’t know.  Taking a quick stab at it now that the ending is nigh :lol:

So autumn wedding..... I'm good  with that. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

8 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Just dropping by to say that, for what it's worth, I don't think they got the right Joker.  Hyungsik is the Joker. 

I guess there is also a possibility that HS's dad is Joker v 1.0 and HS is Joker v 2.0 :D  The person who wrote the msg on Camellia's wall 2014 was right handed.  HS is primarily left handed; likely it was his left hand that scratched the lighter under table and his left also held DB's mom's hand in the ambulance.  HM's killer held the knife in the left hand.

Wrap up party

Spoiler

• Like 8
  • Love 2

@bedifferent

Thank you for posting the wrap up party video and photos. There's not a lot of news articles about Camellia Blooms which is odd since it is a ratings hit in Korea. Averaging 18% is not a simple feat nowadays. ^_^

• Like 5

@htk9207 you're welcome.  I am sure there will be more cast and PD interviews once the drama finished.   They can't say much now since the ending is top secret.:lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

With regards to the wrap party video there is one person I couldn't identify. At around the 5:50 mark right after the 2 young cops in YS's unit. Is he HS dad? His face is different so am not sure who he is at all. :huh: And yet he seems familiar. My favorite ahjumma seems to be absent and so is YS mom. 

• Like 6

Can someone enlighten me does HS Dad's leg injured or not? I can see the wheelchair and the accident in flashback but the scene at police station he walked in on his own ??? No wheelchair ....

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, zhangrain said:

Can someone enlighten me does HS Dad's leg injured or not? I can see the wheelchair and the accident in flashback but the scene at police station he walked in on his own ??? No wheelchair ....

To be honest, I also don't know but if I were to guess, he did fall and was injured. However, I think he recovered at some point and was only pretending he couldn't walk? 

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, zhangrain said:

The show hasn't given us any clear answers as of now. Instead more questions waiting to be answered in the final two episodes. It's weird because HS told the police who came to his home that his dad cannot move at all. All I could think of is it has been 6 years since the accident so if HS dad suffered from leg injury, he must have recovered already. 

Tomorrow we'll get most of our questions answered unless the writer decides to wrap up everything halfway through the last episode. Leaving us with a minute and a half for DB, wearing a spectacular, jaw dropping bridal gown, to turn around and smile radiantly at the screen. The end. :tounge_xd:

I hope that would not be the case. :P

• Like 10

1 hour ago, htk9207 said:

Leaving us with a minute and a half for DB, wearing a spectacular, jaw dropping bridal gown, to turn around and smile radiantly at the screen. The end. :tounge_xd:

I hope that would not be the case. :P

We must trust that YS would not allow that!! :glasses: It shall be a festive wedding at Ongsan attended by all the neighbors with Ongvengers in their colorful uniform :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

November 19, 2019

“When The Camellia Blooms” And Gong Hyo Jin Top Buzzworthy Dramas And Actors Rankings

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

“When The Camellia Blooms” And Gong Hyo Jin Top Buzzworthy Dramas And Actors Rankings

On November 19, Good Data Corporation revealed the weekly rankings of the dramas and cast members that generated the most buzz over the past week. The results come from the company’s analysis of news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media for 28 currently airing and upcoming dramas from the week of November 11 to 17.

For the third week in a row, KBS’s “When the Camellia Blooms” topped the buzzworthy dramas list. Compared to last week, its score jumped up by 9.76 percent, encouraged by the new plot developments that occurred during its broadcast. Of the cast members, Gong Hyo Jin topped the list of buzzworthy actors and Kim Kang Hoon and Kang Ha Neul also made the list at No. 5 and No. 6 respectively.

Also for the third week in a row, MBC’s “Extraordinary You” ranked No. 2 on the list of most buzzworthy dramas. Three of its cast members were also included in the buzzworthy actors ranking: Kim Hye Yoon at No. 2, SF9’s Rowoon at No. 3, and Lee Jae Wook at No. 7.

In third place is KBS’s “The Tale of Nokdu,” with both of its lead actors, Jang Dong Yoon and Kim So Hyun, also ranking on the actors list at No. 4 and No. 8 respectively. This is an improvement from last week, when the drama ranked fourth.

Jumping up several places from last week is JTBC’s “Chief of Staff” Season 2, now in fourth place. This is the second season of “Chief of Staff,” a political drama that focuses on the behind-the-scenes dealings of political aides and staff members at the National Assembly. Of its talented cast, Lee Jung Jae ranked at No. 9 on the actors list.

Finally, tvN’s “Catch the Ghost,” which stars Moon Geun Young and Kim Seon Ho in a story about subway police trying to catch a serial killer, also broke in to the Top 5 this week, seeing its score rise by 1.63 percent.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. KBS2 “When the Camellia Blooms” – 24.92 percent
2. MBC “Extraordinary You” – 18.29 percent
3. KBS2 “The Tale of Nokdu” – 11.98 percent
4. JTBC “Chief of Staff” Season 2 – 4.42 percent
5. tvN “Catch the Ghost” – 3.7 percent
6. tvN “Melting Me Softly” – 3.41 percent
7. JTBC “My Country” – 3.23 percent
8. SBS “Vagabond” – 3.18 percent
9. tvN “Miss Lee” – 3.09 percent
10. tvN “Pegasus Market” – 3.02 percent

Spoiler

buzzworthy-dramas.jpg

The top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. Gong Hyo Jin (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
2. Kim Hye Yoon (“Extraordinary You”)
3. SF9’s Rowoon (“Extraordinary You”)
4. Jang Dong Yoon (“The Tale of Nokdu”)
5. Kim Kang Hoon (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
6. Kang Ha Neul (“When the Camellia Blooms”)

7. Lee Jae Wook (“Extraordinary You”)
8. Kim So Hyun (“The Tale of Nokdu”)
9. Lee Jung Jae (“Chief of Staff” Season 2)
10. Ji Chang Wook (“Melting Me Softly”)

Spoiler

buzzworthy-actors.jpg

Source (1)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, htk9207 said:

The show hasn't given us any clear answers as of now. Instead more questions waiting to be answered in the final two episodes. It's weird because HS told the police who came to his home that his dad cannot move at all. All I could think of is it has been 6 years since the accident so if HS dad suffered from leg injury, he must have recovered already. 

YS explained that the reason he suddenly stopped killing then began again was the leg injury. So he must have been seriously injured, then recovered.

He was after DB all this time. She was only not killed because he got hurt.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So, I was finally allowed back in the forum. This site can't seem to just inform people that they need to change their password ever so often. Anyway, the noble idiocy just had to rear its ugly head in this drama and we got it at the end of the last episode. DB can cry all she wants, but it is her noble idiocy that is making her breakup with YS. Also, Pilgu is misdirecting his anger onto his mother.

When Pilgu and YS first met, they hit it off. Both of them love playing video games. Even though YS knows Pilgu should probably be in class, he can't help getting a bunch of coins and playing with him. Immediately YS becomes a staple at Camelia's, not because of the murder, which doesn't come up til later, but because of his interest in DB. He is unafraid and not shy at all about letting DB and the entire town know that he has feelings for DB. At this point Pilgu becomes a little more interested in him. Unfortunately, this gets interrupted by the sudden appearance of his biological father. Pilgu gets overwhelmed weighing if YS is worthy of his mother and whether he wants to be a part of his father's life. 

Now, this is where DB messed up. She should have created boundaries and rules with JR from the very beginning, but she was too passive about the whole thing and he forced his way into his son's life, giving him gifts and confusing him on his intentions. As a viewer, even I wasn't sure if JR was just trying to get to know his son or if he was trying to win DB back. Meanwhile, YS was this constant dependable man in their lives. He came to DB's rescue immediately. He respected her, her son and drew a line in the sand with his mother when she turned on DB. Again, Pilgu took notice, enough so that when he left to go out of town with his team, he asked YS to stay with his mom and watch over things until he returned.

Pilgu didn't have a real problem with DB and YS until YS's mother filled his head with him being a burden. He internalized this and assumed that if someday YS and DB got married, she would abandon him. YS's mother has turned out to be the absolute WORST. I think this is what she believed for herself or made herself believe because she hated that the shaman told her she was destined to be a widow. Pilgu then made the dramatic decision to go live with his father and he used baseball, since that was all JR ever emphasized to him, as the reason why. However, once he got to Seoul and moved in with JR, all he saw was JR, his wife and the baby. Once again, he is associating marriage as being something he can't be a part of. JR was still hiding the fact that he was his son. So, when DB fetches him from that mess, Pilgu unleashes on her and forces her to choose her own happiness OR him, because he can't imagine that she needs both he and YS.

Pilgu needs a man around because he struggles with the fact that he is a child. All of this is grown-up stuff. He shouldn't be losing an ounce of sleep over it. This is where I blame DB again. She needs to sit him down and reassure him and let him know that he is a child and should not be worried about any of these things. She also needs to undo what YS's mother did and let him know that he is not a burden. Breaking up with YS solves nothing. Now, she will be miserable and trying to hide it from him which is setting them up for a dysfunctional relationship. Pilgu is her son. A child. He is not her man or the man of the house. There should be no confusion on this. Part of the reason she hasn't communicated well to Pilgu is she has abandonment issues and still hasn't forgiven her mother. Fear has allowed her to keep her mom around, but not fully accept her into her life again. Her mom should apologize to her. Maybe then, DB can have the confidence to have a healthy relationship with her son. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 35-36

by TeriYaki

WhentheCamelliaBlooms-E3600461-copy.jpg

The temporary separation between our heroine and her son unearths some unsettling truths. An eight-year-old can only endure so much and between dealing with the father that he never knew and a serial killer on the loose, the kind neighborhood cop who’s in love with his mother may prove to be too much. As the net closes in on a killer, what does the future look like for our cop and his lady love?

EPISODE 35: “Life of an Eight-Year-Old”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/11/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-35-36/

• Like 7

73381098-1008328639528587-56051193177188

73470550-148767013081000-771219874109065

Spoiler

75272183-2435783983329310-77503814296100

77044636-463699534270331-146983105917093

Spoiler

More Fan Art... So cute! :P

72189022-588187355321433-873086553131307

73316812-576140629824739-684594515132685

Spoiler

72189022-588187355321433-873086553131307

73385904-2469592883323106-54513308023583

75234621-173035337148795-362385953799338

Credit: august_frvn IG

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

Hello everyone. It's Camellia Day again:rolleyes: 

@Sakurafairy

I love the fan art collection:wub:

5 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Also, Pilgu is misdirecting his anger onto his mother.

So true. And everything you stated in your post, I absolutely agree. 

7 hours ago, chickfactor said:

YS explained that the reason he suddenly stopped killing then began again was the leg injury. So he must have been seriously injured, then recovered.

He was after DB all this time. She was only not killed because he got hurt.

I must have forgotten or wasn't paying attention to the subs. Thanks for clarifying that. 

I'm wondering has anyone heard of any news of Camellia Blooms cast going to the airport for their reward vacation trip?

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, htk9207 said:

Hello everyone. It's Camellia Day again:rolleyes: 

Yes!

I'm sad it's over soon.

Anyway, aside from the adorable romance, to me, this show is all about parents and children. You've got all these moms showing imperfect but fierce love for their children - YS's mom, DB's mom, even Jessica's mom and Gyu-Tae's mom, and many others - imperfect parents (some *very* imperfect) but you can't doubt the fierce love they have for their kids. All of them, in some way, are trying to make up for something they are sorry to their kids about.

YS's mom - sorry that YS never had a father

DB's mom - sorry that she (apparently) had no choice but to abandon DB

Jessica's mom - seems like her father is not a good dude

Gyu-Tae's mom - Gyu-Tae's dad seems like not a great dude, either?

And Hyang-Mi. Poor Hyang-Mi. She spent her entire life trying to give her little brother a better one to make up for the neglect they both suffered.

And of course, DB herself. Seeing Pil-Gu treated like an afterthought in JR's home was enraging to her.

It was genuinely heartbreaking when Heung-Sik was devastated to see his father arrested. Poor Heung-Sik, he actually seems like a nice, caring person who just had the bad luck to have a father who's a murdering psychopath. (But we don't know the whole story yet so who knows.)

I have no doubt YS+DB=Forever by the end of the story. All arrows are pointing in that direction, and everyone, at this point, is rooting for this relationship to happen.

- DB's mom's final will and testament to YS is apparently "Stay with my daughter forever" (based on the preview)

- I'm sure that unseen conversation between DB's mom and YS's mom is about DB's mom asking YS's mom to accept DB as future daughter-in-law

And of course, you've got the Ong-vengers on DB's side now. (I think those tracksuits they were wearing is an homage to the movie, "Sunny")

I'm sure that PG, being the emotionally intelligent 8-year-old that he is will know that his mom made a huge sacrifice for him by dumping YS, and change his tune. In fact, he had already accepted YS's role in his mom's life. Of course he's going to have a rough time adjusting, of course he will feel insecure and needy. He is 8.

I just want to see Ja-Yeong finally have a drink with DB and hang out. Is that too much to ask? :D

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Hyojin posted.  Thank you for giving your best.

#Mom

Spoiler

#squad

For those who fear Camellia withdrawal, KBS plans to air 2 special episodes next week.^^

KBS Camellia website said to pay attention to these points as the drama wraps up

1) Adult Pilgu, in relation to DB/YS future

2) YS's discovery of this in HS's trash

Spoiler

VTVENTER_70000000332186_20191120_2019112

3) Hyang Mi's mystery yellow ball that she swallowed.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 10.41.29 AM

Once again, the kids 

Spoiler

Pil Gu's rewards, well deserved  Kim Kang Hoon.  Nerf is awesome stuff.

Spoiler

Happily ever after.  Let's see little Yong Sik in the finale OK? 

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 7.04.18 PM

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

(I think those tracksuits they were wearing is an homage to the movie, "Sunny")

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

just want to see Ja-Yeong finally have a drink with DB and hang out. Is that too much to ask?

That scene did gave me the same vibes. I thought I was the only one. I really liked that movie.:P

Sigh. Ja-yeong and DB hanging out indeed would be cool. I even wanted them to become friends. Problem is DB seems intimidated by JY. :(

@bedifferent

Thanks for the wonderful news. I was wishing for a special episode filled with behind the scenes and NG footages. Now we get not 1 but 2 special episodes. :wub:

• Like 8