Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

I been also wondering why did joker left dong baek alive. There has to be a reason? 

I Totally love Yong shik. He so fresh country man. Straight forward and honest. 

Joker is total mystery to me. Why he actually stopped killing? Was it really bc dong baek was witness? 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

At first I thought why would they make this romcom drama with the suspense serial killer story. But I realized, that thrilling story makes this drama interesting. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

I just watched the ep 7&8. I totally love this drama. I love the mystery genre but that`s not why I am looking forward to watch the next episodes. I am not curious about Joker but of course, I wish he will be caught.

It is so heartwarming to watch Yong shik.  He is pursuing Dong-Baek so openly and I always worried to not be hurt himself either when he is rejected.  He is so positive and of course, I root for him to win his girl`s heart in the end. It is the way, he observe little details. He knows that Kang Jong-Ryeol is Pil-Goo`s father.

Little by little, Dong-Baek opens up her heart  more when he is with Yong Shik. My favorite scene was at the end of the episode, when she starts crying and said what he will do when she will start to like him for real. Young Shik is right. She is strong but she often hides herself. The title of the drama is so suggesting of Dong Baek`s changing. She will bloom eventually. Yong Shik will help her regaining the confidence, to believe in herself. She needs a compliment, support when things go a little tough, a good word of encouragement.

Yong Shik is changing for better too. He will learn to have patience, he will "grow up".

I am glad that Jong-Ryeol is spending more time with his son and I wish they will start a good relationship, but in the same time I am sorry for Yong-Sik who will feel a little jelous of that relationship. Maybe he will start to feel a little insecure of his part in Dong Baek`s life. 

Funny lines... I also find hilariously  the line "How can a human beat a goblin" when Dong-Baek toild him how her man of her dreams has to be. He makes the unexpected responses. :D

I laughed and then felt sorry for No Kyu-Tae when his wife wake him up to change the misspelling on his webpage. :D

When Yong Shik was hiding and his mother told some embarassing moments from his childhood. :D

The drama has nice moments and I am looking forward to watch more.

• Like 8
  • Love 6

@bedifferent I have the impression that there could be two killers. First, I also noticed that the hands looked different. Here, the fingers are rather thin and the skin is smooth. Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.57.18

In the second shot, the wrist is definitely bigger, just like the fingers.Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.57.33

(cr. to @bedifferent)

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

Here, the  creepy visitor's shape looks more like a woman than a man. This person is rather slim, no broad shoulders... So in my opinion, this person is a woman.

On the other hand, the person who was at the bar while YS was painting the wall, was the repairman Heung-Sik. He is a regular who always receives peanuts for free. Moreover, he had gloves on, when he came to the bar. So it is quite obvious that Heung-Sik is definitely linked to the Joker. This person wanted to burn the words on the wall with his lighter... but back then he did not as he couldn't do it. Due the takings above, I have the impression that someone else showed up at Camellia. It was not Heung-Sik due to the shape.

To sum up, due to these shots, I am inclined to believe that the Joker might not be one person but two persons. This would explain why the victims were all different. Right now, they are all thinking that the Joker is a man, yet right from the start I felt that a woman could be involved as well. For me, Noh's wife, the lawyer, is definitely a suspect. Don't forget that she owns buildings hence she can have access to the different places. She is upset because her husband doesn't respect her but she doesn't even realize that she can not get respect from Noh as long as she keeps looking down on him.... This is surely a vicious circle. 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 4

annyeonghaseyo, sharing my first post. can't get enough of Yong Shik's explosive confession <3 he's such a puppy-in-love :heart:

also, this has been bugging me since i saw ep4, what exactly happened on March 12, 2012 that makes Jong Ryeol space out during the game?

71671155_505163963598276_22989173787438670941215_940302092986564_670889571701804

Edited by Sunny Choi
  • Like 12
  • Love 1

@Sunny Choi On March 12th, 2012.... My assumption is the following: Dongbaek announced him that she would break up with him. We heard from his colleagues that he resented Dongbaek for abandoning him. She was described as heartless by him. On the other hand, we clearly saw that Dongbaek never met his friends and colleagues because of her social background: an orphan. 

Furthermore, it is clearly shown that his actual wife comes from a privileged family. she lives in a different apartment, a high class flat. So their marriage was a business deal. I am now wondering if their separation was due to his family. The parents might have seen Dongbaek as a thread, she would ruin their son's career or even worse she would marry him for his money and fame. Imagine the irony...if my supposition comes true. His actual wife is exactly what they feared. 

• Like 12
  • Insightful 3

Hmmmm ...

tumblr_pyjpvv62sD1w2zf0ho1_r1_540.png

@Sunny Choi @bebebisous33  Yeah, I think the spacing out was due to her breaking up with him.  Pil-goo was born 9 months later in December.

There are many questions bugging me ... For example,

... how is it that Joker surfaced right after Dongbaek came to town?

... why did she come to Ongsan?

I'm wondering the same as @bedifferent and @joccu:

How did she survive as a witness?  Why did he not kill her then and now?

Weirdly, all these questions make it look like she is Joker.

Who is Heung-sik related to?  Even though clues point to him, he seems to me unlikely to be Joker himself. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3

@larus I love what you said.  We often read that love should complete a person or help each other to become better.  We see this happening between our two leads.  Yong Sik's open optimistic thinking can change Dong Baek's cynical temperament and  tease her out of her introvert personality.  What she needs is the helping hand in time of self doubt, not someone to do things for her but to steady and steer her in the right directions when she feels lost.  What insecurities she has comes from the belief that she was not loved, whether due to being born as  an orphan or inextricably linked to bad luck.  Dong Baek in turns can temper down his impulsiveness.  The boy processes things way too much in black and white. A lot of things pass over his head, including how he didn't realize about his mom's lonely life as a widow until now.  The devil is in the details, important if he wants to become a good detective. He'll learn valuable things from a person by just being a good listener.  Listen so that he won't judge others based on his own, including the frivolous case of the chicken owners.

Regarding Deok Soon, I don't know if Yong Sik has ever understood how lonely his mom feels without her children or her life/needs as a woman outside of being his mom.   Hers is a life devoted to caring for her children yet when older, afraids of being their burden. The things our parents feel deep inside, don't you think?  The sacrifices, the virtue and strength being a single parent, those qualities that he admires from Dong Baek lie in Deok Seon. as well.  As he listens to Dong Baek saying over and over again how much Pil-Gu means to her, I feel Yong Sik is also the lucky one to have a cool mom like Deok Soon. She seems misplaced and progressive in her thinking way more than any other lady in this small town.  I love how she reminded Dong Baek of keeping personal happiness close to heart, that she is someone more than just Pil-Gu's mom.  That she needs to remember to live once her child becomes an adult. Don't center him as her universe either cuz that puts too much pressure to care for her on Pil-Gu in return.

A single mother is a burden to Pil-Gu too.  And you can't live your life only as Pil-Gu's mom. They're only your children when they are with you.  Once your children get married and leave your side, you'll be an empty shell like Du-Sik and Gyu-Sik's mom.  So even if you may get divorced, you should get married too.  It's a lonely journey to live as a widow.

4 hours ago, 1ouise said:

Hmmmm ...

How did she survive as a witness?  Why did he not kill her then and now?

Weirdly, all these questions make it look like she is Joker.

Who is Heung-sik related to?  Even though clues point to him, he seems to me unlikely to be Joker himself. 

HOLY SMOKE.  I never thought that Dong Beak could be the killer! Yeah, wow. The common thread could lie in Dong Baek.  The killer surfaced when she moved to town some time in early 2013.  His last kill was in her presence then he disappeared.  His first kill was on the same day that he came to her restaurant 6 years ago (possibly after).  For sure, July 9th was the date of his first crime.  Did he kill for her?

Screenshot 2019-09-28 12.36.31Screenshot 2019-09-28 12.35.40

Could Heung-sik be an orphan too? Does the Joker regard himself as a guardian angel for single mom?  The post it note is to indicate his purpose and motive (Dong Baek), the person whom he addressed to on the wall?  The only time the note has a name.

Did you notice the weapon Joker left at the last scene of the crime?  The wire!

BTW, care to explain the sign?  What do you think it means?:D

@bebebisous33  Ohhhhh yeah, I see your points.  We could have 2 killers. Yes, let's wait and see.

I didn't see this at first viewing.  Sweet :)

Screenshot 2019-09-28 12.37.16

• Like 12

Hello All!  I haven't been watching kdrama for awhile, cause i was consuming more and realized enjoying it less. i came upon this wonderful drama on NetFlix so decided to read along on what you all are saying about it.

So far, i am hoping bad luck Dong-baek is not deceased. Seems unlikely in this kind of drama.  I am thinking it is also  possible that it is a dream, someone's nightmare  - although the bad girl asst waitress theory is stronger.  For awhile I thought it could be Kim Ji-Suk's narcissistic  wife, just thinking she must have lots of enemies and maybe she was given the same bracelet.

I feel so much for Dong - baek.  She was so badly hurt. I want to know more about her break up with Ji-Suk, but we do see now he would not take her places in public, because of "scandal".   But loving someone so much and feeling betrayed or unimportant must have left her so damaged, I could understand why she was sobbing, what f I really like you? How could she bear another heart break?  

I cannot think of who the joker is yet, not sure it is the same person as who burned it off. Not sure of anything about that, man or woman and motive.  Although as you all point out, the joker attacks began with Dong -baeks move there.  Could someone else have moved there around the same time? Something we don't know yet? Dong-baek is an orphan, could be someone from the same orphanage where she grew up (saying this because it is out of kdrama playbook plots).

Kang Ha-Neul is awesome in this role. The entire cast is just great.

• Like 11

On 9/27/2019 at 10:08 AM, lollyminx said:

Oh and one of my favorite parts: THE MARKET AHJUMAS SLIGHTLY CHANGING THEIR MINDS ABOUT DONGBAEK SEEING THAT HONG SIK LOVES HER. I FEEL THEY WILL EVENTUALLY GROW SUPPORTIVE AND PROTECTIVE OF HONG SIK AND DONGBAEK'S RELATIONSHIP IN THE FUTURE. I personally want to see a scene where Jong Ryul does something for Dongbaek, Hong Sik not being around, and the market ahjummas confronting Jong Ryul in behalf of Hong Sik :lol:

I am all for the market ahjummas to come on Dong Baek’s side! But may I know where do you get the impression that they’re slightly changing their minds about Dong Baek?

About the killer, I doubt it is Dong Baek. And I think it’s not Heung Sik also. His character or the actor seems to be too minor to have such a big role. I also doubt that it’s the lawyer. She didn’t know the name Dong Baek and it seemed that she has never set foot in the bar as well. 

As for the murdered person with Dong Baek’s bracelet, could it be Jong Ryul’s wife? Like she got jealous of Dong Baek and snatched the bracelet which was supposedly the token of their love... 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am all for the market ahjummas to come on Dong Baek’s side! But may I know where do you get the impression that they’re slightly changing their minds about Dong Baek?

About the killer, I doubt it is Dong Baek. And I think it’s not Heung Sik also. His character or the actor seems to be too minor to have such a big role. I also doubt that it’s the lawyer. She didn’t know the name Dong Baek and it seemed that she has never set foot in the bar as well. 

As for the murdered person with Dong Baek’s bracelet, could it be Jong Ryul’s wife? Like she got jealous of Dong Baek and snatched the bracelet which was supposedly the token of their love... 

I thought of that too. I thought perhaps he also gave her a similar bracelet. She is a very nasty person so she would have enemies. But the connection between Dong Baek and all of the other seemingly random people - is still difficult to figure out.

• Like 11

@maddymappo @ktcjdrama glad to see you here! More brain power to this thread to figure out who the serial murderer is!

Guys, gals... Lookie. Remember the lighter?  I was curious to know who would still be in the restaurant after it closed watching Yong Sik paint?!!! Who would not raise any alarm and be at home there? We know Hyang Mi offered a dinner to Heung Sik for his help so it could be him but when I went back to check out his arm, he was both too pale and skinny.  So I went back to that night and guess who was also there with a lighter?

Screenshot 2019-09-28 18.21.26Screenshot 2019-09-28 18.21.45

Could it be????

Look at the hand, the arm, skin color.... Did Capt ever left that night? 

It could not be him could it?:huh:

• Like 14

love readings all the ideas about who the joker is. To me, Joker is someone from the neighborhood who both Dong Baek and Yong Shik knew and did not alarmed. He must be someone who doesn't look dangerous from the outside. I doubt is Dong Baek is killer. But the reason he stops killing could be has to do with Dong Baek. 

I love this drama as it did not go the cliche route and the male lead is a pure country boy that is far from tsundere character. You know how drama loves to create a prince like character to help the female lead out of misery. But this time it is different. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

This is not the kind of drama where Dongbaek would be the killer. 

It is also not the kind of drama where she would be killed.

There really aren't very many choices for the killer or for the victim, but who are they?? :lol:

I think it could be Jong-ryeol who is found dead wearing the bracelet after Dongbaek returned it to him. 

I think he got caught trying to protect Dongbaek, who is the target.

As for the killer, I am starting to suspect this guy:

tumblr_pyjpvv62sD1w2zf0ho2_r1_540.png

I think Dongbaek is the intended target and the other victims were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

I have still the impression that HM will be the victim of The Joker. Why? Because Oh has started getting close to her. Now, his attention has shifted to the waitress, the moment she started complimenting him and showed respect towards him. When the wife visited the bar, she saw that HM had received the cream and not Dongbaek. This would explain why the writing on the wall was burnt as Dongbaek is not the woman Oh has been flirting with. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 7

18 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Here, the  creepy visitor's shape looks more like a woman than a man. This person is rather slim, no broad shoulders... So in my opinion, this person is a woman.

I think it is a man. I remember when I thought the thumb killer was a woman in Watcher because that person moved. :lol: It was a young man after all.

About Dong Baek being a suspect... No way Dong-Baek is the killer. We have to wait a little longer to find out what exactly triggered the killer`s action and how it is connected with her.

29 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have still the impression that HM will be the victim of The Joker. Why? Because Oh has started getting close to her. Now, his attention has shifted to the waitress, the moment she started complimenting him and showed respect towards him. When the wife visited the bar, she saw that HM had received the cream and not Dongbaek.

The clues toward her are increasing. I also believe  the victim with  Dong-Baek`s bracelet will be  Hyang-Mi.

• Like 11

@larus Well, my theory is that we have two killers. Either it is the work of a copy cat (death from the episode 1) or they are working together. I am more inclined to believe in the second assumption because this would explain why they were not able to find a common denominator between the victims.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

21 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, my theory is that we have two killers. Either it is the work of a copy cat (death from the episode 1) or they are working together. I am more inclined to believe in the second assumption because this would explain why they were not able to find a common denominator between the victims.

I don`t say anything about this theory for now because I don`t know. And I did not pay attention to the murders or Joker. :D I am sure we`ll find more clues about the killer in the future episodes.

• Like 10

On 9/28/2019 at 8:56 AM, bedifferent said:

@lollyminx  I just want to say, do you have an opinion on why E4 (7/8) is titled Country Boy? :)

I think you've already covered this and I agree. It's because of Yong Sik being a country boy as reflected in the way he deals with his feelings for Dong Baek. He likes her plain and simple, and so he expresses it. There are no complicated feelings or thoughts that get in the way. While Dong Baek was with Jong Ryul, for instance, they date secretly because of his profession. There are no complications like that with Yong Sik. He just goes for it, which I love, and I think that reflects the simplicity of being a country boy. 

15 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

But may I know where do you get the impression that they’re slightly changing their minds about Dong Baek?

It was when Yong Sik and Dong Baek left the market ahjummas after the radish incident. The seller said, "I guess Dong Baek is really charming. Yong Sik seems to have fallen head over heels for her." Then they continue to talk about Yong Sik being a romantic, and they're amused, not mad/annoyed about it. So I see that as a good start and expect that they'll eventually be supportive of Yong Sik and Dong Baek. I feel like it would be a good plot development. :lol:

• Like 11

@lollyminx The ahjummas will change their behavior, once they see that Dongbaek is in a relationship with YS. So far, they resented her because they saw her as a thread, she would seduce their husbands. From the moment she is with YS, they have no reason to perceive DB as a femme fatale. YS will make them realize that the reason for their husbands to visit the bar is a different one. They want to escape their control, this is a room where they can breathe and feel free.

• Like 10
  • Love 1