[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Hiii.  I agree with you here.  I don't think the village women cared much about DB's status as a single mother.  She proudly said on her first day that it was nothing to be ashamed of.  They pretty much accepted it, with no concern about Pil-Gu's father.  Their jealousy seems to be related to their husbands' visits to the bar.  I do think there was prejudice, strong disrespect for the mere fact that DB sells alcohol.  Would they have given her the same bullying if she has opened a restaurant instead?  I think it would have been the same since her restaurant would compete with their crab business.  I chalked it down to competition and the natural tendency of women outcasting other women whom they don't like.  It's a mob mentality for sure, a power play that persists due to DB's initial timid personality and lack of self confidence.  Once they have seen how she fought back against GT's sexual advances, they gained new respect for this shy girl who is actually stronger than she looks.  It's something they can identify with, as strong women, head of household.  

Yeah, we don't know who the father is.  I also have no real understanding of her mom's actions either.  :lol:

Thanks for this. 

I've been giving this a bit more thought since I wrote that post last night. I suspect that our opinions intersect at certain points. ;)

There was a kind of prejudice... but not necessarily that she was a single-mother. I wonder now if it wasn't the fact that it was because she chose to be a single mother. Again... that sounds like splitting hairs but I think that was what made DB an object both of curiosity and suspicion. I cast my mind back to the early flashbacks and that's what I came away with. They were surprisingly tolerant... up to a point. But they didn't like her selling alcohol to their men who found her place a kind of refuge out of the gaze of the busybodies.

On some level I can understand the curiosity. Why would a woman chose to be a single-mother? I don't know any woman in my circle that has chosen to be a single mother except out of sheer necessity... among friends, relatives and students. It's a tough gig even without prejudice. I think they always suspected her of an ulterior motive. However where they were wrong IMO was that they never dealt with this matter logically. When their men erred, they blamed her. They assumed too much hanky panky but they never really even tried to find out what really took place in the bar. That's where all the strife took place.

At least now I've clarified in my own mind what I think about this. :D

I feel the same so was happy to see how this was addressed in Episode 10. I like how YS's tendency as a nice guy growing up without a father gave him a better perspective than DB on the fact that it is a choice Pil-Gu deserved to have.  The choice to have JR as a father or be a part his life.  The episode dealt with how DB finally got the chance to air her fear, hurt, and anger at JR.  She used the pregnancy tests to gauge JR's reaction.  Seeing how he obviously didn't want a child changed her love for him.   It leads to her thinking of even ending the pregnancy.  Ever since then, she doesn't believe JR is capable of loving his son.  The main reason for her refusal for JR to become a part of their lives is to protect Pil-Gu just as the boy is to protect his mother.  JR is trying hard but he is doing it all wrong because he didn't have a clear understanding of their break up.  Now that DB revealed what happened, I believe it will start the healing for both of them.  I'm glad that she acknowledge their relationship has run its course since they are different people now.  Along with YS' declaration, things should be clearer for all.  Whatever happens moving forward, JR's relationship with Pil-Gu should be able to flourish on its own without placing guilt on the boy.

I like this line of reasoning even if I'm somewhat uneasy about it's application. It's not that I disagree with the sentiment either. JR could have handled everything far far better than what he has. That's my point of contention. But he defaults to old and familiar habits. He hasn't made thing easy... shall we say... for anybody... himself included.

But as @bebebisous33 said, after yesterday's episode it makes sense why DB took the difficult route and had the baby without him. And I can completely understand why DB doesn't want him around her life especially when he reverts to bossing her around and not taking "no" for an answer.

13 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

As for KR, his puppy dog eyes! He in no way can hold a candle to YS but in spite of his utter selfishness, I can't help but pity him. It breaks my heart to see him so pitiable. He has realized too late what he has lost. What baffles me and kind of angers me is his hypocrisy. He wants to hold DB's hand and be a father to his son, yet he lacks the guts to stand up to his wife and divorce her.

I think it's escapism at the moment. That explains the inconsistency for me. His life is in shambles and he is pining for a better time when he was happier. No doubt he was happier with DB and she was a lot easier to handle compared to Jessica. But the reality is that while things were going swimmingly for him, she played second fiddle to his career and his plans. The pregnancy was confirmation of that. I don't really feel that sorry for him because he is largely reaping what he's sown.

In some ways he does see where it all went wrong. Even while he has all pieces of the puzzle in his hand, he comes to the wrong conclusion repeatedly.

In the end Ongsan is his escape from Seoul and from dealing with a crappy marriage. Pil-gu is an appropriate justification as any to be there and not have to man up. That's why I'm not keen for him to play dad to Pil-gu right now... because yeah... I'd be surprised if they all don't get caught up in one almighty scandal. He may end up hurting Pil-gu more than helping.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, lollyminx said:

OH MY GOD! WHAT IF THE JOKER IS LURING ALL THE CATS WITH THE CAT FOOD SO HE CAN KILL THEM BECAUSE HE'S ALLERGIC TO IT! THAT'S WHY THE JOKER ISN'T COUGHING NOW BECAUSE THERE ARE NO CATS IN ONGSAN!!! (Cut to Strangers from Hell spinoff)

No No Noooooo.... As an owner of three cats, and someone who respects both human and animal lives, I demand death penalty for the killer not matter who he/she is..... :angry::angry::angry:

5 hours ago, 1ouise said:

Besides being part of the dog paternity case, Yeong-sim had a chili field burn down in the past and now has some question about a garlic field.  ARSON ALERT

As to the cat food and no cats, the food could be poisoned.  ANIMAL ABUSE ALERT

When the sign fell from the building, it revealed that there was formerly an Academy there.  CHODING MURDER ALERT

Everyone looks suspicious, but the killer has already killed five other people, including a 6th-grader.  Which of the suspects would kill all these people?

Young Sik did tell three signs of a serial killer that includes arson and animal abuse as well. The third sign is bed-wetting but there is no way of knowing who wets their bed unless the killer's mother decides to turn into a witness...:crazy: 

Yeong Sim does seem to be the key to this mystery.

What if all those victims are cat owners?!  

Could be! Or those who loved cats and scolded the killer for harming cats...:o Again I repeat, maximum punishment for the killer..

On a lighter note, I'm happy that I work from home and not a social person :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Insightful 1

After watching episode 10 , i cannot help but to cry on several scenes from this episode.

so many conversations, emotions & topic were spot on!

My experiences in life goes the same way as DB (except for the thriller part).  And this drama made we reflect somehow. Although reality bites harder to me, i know there is always an opening!

1 thing i am unsure, how i wish YS truly exist in this current world. If young generation could be as half as genuine as YS, that would be awesome!

• Like 8
  • Love 3

@bedifferent @40somethingahjumma Actually, KJR has not even reflected yet why his relationship with DB failed. This explains why KJR is acting like in the past, telling her what she should do. There are many reasons why DB had to break up with him. Like I mentioned in my former post, KJR was self-centered and selfish. Furthermore, he had internalized certain values: an orphan with a low school degree is perceived as a stigma. That's why he pitied her in reality and confused love with pity.  

But the last episode made me realize something else. Remember that Jessica blackmailed KJR emotionally. If he didn't agree to pay for her study in Milan, then she would file for a divorce. We heard from DB that KJR did the same with DB. He often threatened her to break up, when DB was unhappy or would disagree with him. As you can observe, KJR and Jessica have or had a similar behavior. Why?

The reason is simple: they know that the partner is more invested in the relationship than themselves. KJR knew that DB loved him much more than he loved her, hence he could use her feelings in order to force her to be "obedient". As a result, DB started living like a concubine (a woman without any right and status, entirely dependent on her "man") and her personality even changed. She became meek and weak that's why KJR didn't feel the same for DB any longer. Therefore he invested more and more in his career. He overlooked the warmth provided by DB and the real impact of DB in his life. This explains why DB didn't express herself in front of others, when she was bullied in Ongsan. She rather whispered or mumbled. KJR's attitude was the cause for her shyness. 

Notice that the moment DB showed more and more strength, KJR was reminded more and more of the past and became more and more clingy. He rediscovered the DB from the past, when he was attracted to her. This is the other reason why KJR is acting like in the past. He still thinks, because DB used to listen to him, she would do the same here. But here is the trick: DB doesn't love KJR any longer, he has no power over her, unlike in the past.

The moment DB left him without a word, KJR felt really hurt. Her departure had left a hole in his heart. Since in his eyes, he had "loved" DB so much but she chose to break up with him, he decided to choose the exact opposite as a wife in order to avoid of being hurt like in the past. Jessica's personality contrasts so much with DB's. She is selfish, doesn't want children and is not listening to him at all. However, in this relationship, KJR had a similar position with DB. He was the one who was more invested in the relationship than Jessica. But by meeting DB and his son, KJR's situation in his marriage has changed. He is no longer dependent on his wife. That's why Jessica will be really angry. She never thought that KJR would even "abandon" her.

Now, if we compare KJR and YS, we can clearly see the contrast between the two men. YS has the opposite approach. He always lets DB make the decision. She is not forced to do anything, he makes his stand and shows his respect towards her. That's why DB is blooming more and more. His behavior has the opposite effect, DB becomes stronger and stronger. YS saw her true personality right from the start, although she was shy and quite distant in the beginning. Even in the last episode, YS didn't release his anger towards DB, he knew that KJR was the one to blame. However, he clearly revealed that her action had affected him and he expressed that she should treat him differently. She also realized her mistake. His words made her realize that she was no longer alone, she had a boyfriend by her side therefore she needed to be considerate towards him. All this time, YS treats her with respect. He might be angry and hurt but he still restrains himself. In the long run, DB is learning to invest herself more in her relationship with YS. That's why she is able to confess her feelings for him.  

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 5

Hi @bebebisous33

I'm super grateful for your post because I was beginning to wonder if I was a bit too harsh about JR. It seemed to me that I'm the only person beating that drum. But after reading your post, I'm now thinking that I wasn't critical enough. :lol:

Thank you for bringing more clarity (at least for me) as to why JR shouldn't be thinking about playing happy families with DB and PG... for now at least. When his head is screwed on properly and when he feels more remorseful then perhaps... he's in with a chance. Unless the Joker the kills him off first. :P Hey, 10 episodes is a very long time.

The other thing that occurred to me while reading your post is why DB repeatedly says "PG isn't your son" to JR. I can't fault her on that. He may have contributed his sperms but he didn't really want to be a father then. In her mind, (and correctly) she was the one who wanted to protect the vulnerable foetus and give it a fighting chance. Knowing where he stood and the sort of person he was, she was sure that he would be wanting her to have an abortion. As you poignantly pointed out, their relationship was dysfunctional and it revolved around him. After mulling over what you've written I feel that she probably escaped a fate worse than death.

To me there's no comparison between JR and YS now... it's day and night. YS is a lifesaving dinghy to a drowning woman. He's a gift to DB. He sees her as a gift from heaven. He reads her like a book. In that relationship she can breathe and feel human. And she gets real respect as an equal partner in a dating relationship.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, bedifferent said:

your comments! funny!  What if all those victims are cat owners?!  

Oh no no, victims were probably not because they own cats ... 

imo,  i suspect he is killing the cats so he will not cough, since he could be allergic to its fur (?)...  joker might know that one of DB witness testimony, she cannot forget how the joker was coughing that night.  Maybe he is trying to hide his identity by making sure he will not cough especially with DB around

Honestly i still dont have any idea why joker kill people ... its very hard to connect since main clue is not yet obviously revealed at this moment

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Hi @bebebisous33

I'm very thankful for your post because I was beginning to wonder if I was a bit too harsh about JR. It seemed to me that I'm the only person beating that drum. But after reading your post, I'm now thinking that I wasn't critical enough. :lol:

Thank you for bringing more clarity (at least for me) as to why JR shouldn't be thinking about playing happy families with DB and PG... for now at least. When his head is screwed on properly and when he feels more remorseful then perhaps... he's in with a chance. Unless the Joker the kills him off first. :P 10 episodes is a very long time.

The other thing that occurred to me while reading your post is why DB repeatedly says "PG isn't your son" to JR. I can't fault her on that. He may have contributed his sperms but he didn't really want to be a father then. In her mind, (and correctly) she was the one who wanted to protect the vulnerable foetus. Knowing where he stood and the sort of person he was, she was sure that he would be wanting her to have an abortion. As you poignantly pointed out, their relationship was dysfunctional and it revolved around him. After mulling over what you've written I feel that she probably escaped a fate worse than death.

To me there's no comparison between JR and YS now... it's day and night. YS is a lifesaving dinghy to a drowning woman. He's a gift to DB. He sees her as a gift from heaven. He reads her like a book. In that relationship she can breathe and feel human. And she gets real respect as an equal partner in a dating relationship.

Thanks for the compliment. You were not too harsh concerning KJR. He was a jerk back then and he is still one which even DB recognizes. Actually, her life with him was terrible. I compare her to a concubine who is not allowed to leave the harem. We were shown DB in KJR's flat living alone in front of the TV. In other words, she had been cut off from the world and had no friend at all. It looks as if she had been buried alive.

Because our famous baseball player has a celebrity status and earns well, he believes that he can do whatever he wants. He looks down on YS as the latter is just a police officer.

KJR has another flaw: he is always running away from any responsibility. He didn't want to have a child, when he saw the pregnancy tests. Now that he has found that DB is still single and had a child with him, he thinks that he can have a better life with her than with Jessica therefore he doesn't fear Jessica's thread (a possible divorce). In the episode 1 and 2, we saw him having his daughter around him, hence he looked like he was a good father but right now his daughter has disappeared. She has been taken care of by a nanny. He shows concern for his son and is neglecting his daughter. In other words, he acted like a responsible father because he had to, since his wife showed no motherly love for the baby. Since he has met DB, his focus has shifted to his son and DB. I even wonder if in case of a divorce, he would really care for his daughter.

Besides, he asks DB to wait for him, just like in the past... so he has not learnt his lesson. Then he doesn't promise her that he will marry her. He just wants to take care of her and his son financially so far. Here again, he wants to keep her and KPG hidden (just like in the past). The only difference is now she has become a mistress.

Finally, I would like to add that DB was right to leave KJR the way she did. She didn't announce to him that she wanted to break up with him, she just left his home "without any warning". Since KJR had been abusing her emotionally and mentally, she knew that the moment she expressed this, he wouldn't accept the break up and would do anything to stop her. Furthermore, I even suspect that he would have blamed her for some reason.

KJR is not the type to reflect on himself. Right after meeting her, he blamed her... he didn't even want to know why she did it. He only thought of his pain and never imagined that he had hurt DB much more.      

• Like 8
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 15-16

by selena

wtcb8-00063.jpg

The aftermath of an ominous warning causes a ripple effect of paranoia and fear. With her safe haven being threatened, our heroine must figure out how to protect what she loves.

EPISODE 15: The Lynx of This Area

WTCB08-00007.jpg

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-15-16/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

@bebebisous33 Bravo:thumbsup:. I agree with you 100% :glasses:. Like you said, JR never takes or runs away from responsibilities. He doesn't even think for a second how it came to this or what went wrong. It's like he is always not the bad guy and doesn't even realize what he has done during his relationship with DB and even now<_<. He is still stuck in the past when things were simple with DB not knowing what damage he has caused to her self-esteem and personality.

Now regarding his daughter, I couldn't agree with you more. He always tells Jessica to be there for the baby because children need their parents the most at this time; yet, look at what he is doing now. JR wants his cake and eat it at the same time<_<. He hasn't learned his lesson even after yesterday's episode when DB told him what she went through. I'm glad YS took a stand and told him off. If he wants to be a dad to PG, then he better clean up his mess in Seoul first. Whatever he is doing now, is causing more harm than good.

@40somethingahjumma Don't feel bad about voicing your opinion:):D. You are not the only one who hates the character lol:lol:. The actor is doing a great job making some of us hate his character lol:D.

Indeed, PG is DB son and I'm glad she escaped from that toxic relationship. She kept the baby and raised him so she has every right to state that he is her son only. If he wants to be part of the child's life, then it's PG choice and JR has to have DB consent.

I felt sorry the moment PG put two and two together. Thanks to JR indecisiveness and interference, poor child found out the worst way that this man who has been bothering him and is a superman to his daughter is his own father. But the first thing PG asks is why he didn't treat his mother right :tears:? Even calling JR, a cheap man which he deserves it. 

Indeed, YS and JR can not be compared lol. It's funny how JR thinks YS is like his younger self. If only he knew YS history, he won't be saying those words again lol:joy:.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

@40somethingahjumma @bebebisous33 great character dive there with JR.  We get 10 episodes of bullying cases from many perspectives, including one who both receive and give, our governor to be Ja-Young.

DB is an easy target for blame.  It’s easier for the women to release their frustration at her instead of husbands.  I don’t think they want to admit that they are the reasons for the hubbies visits to Camellia.  There is also an issue of trust toward newcomer to town, a lack of inclusivity and misunderstanding.

JR does have a little of a savior complex.  He prided himself as the first person to stand in her corner, saving the orphan that no one loves.  I don’t doubt that he did love DB, but it is not a   love anchored by mutual respect to her.  It’s too bad that his actions are driven by his own opinions of what he thinks things ought to be.  He just cannot accept that he can no longer be the primary decision maker in DB’s life.  I agree that he identifies a lot with image, whether it is tied to a loser or hero.  JR stepping back into their lives lacks patience because he wants to have a second chance at being the hero that hit the homerun.  I do appreciate that he takes responsibility for PilGu and seems to love him genuinely.  He just doesn’t realize that small fatherly things like tucking in his son’s uniform or fixing his belt touched PilGu more than materialistic things like abalones, phones or toys.  (Sideline, PilGu is quite a perceptive reasonable kid when he accepted his friend’s mom olive branch food offering! lol)

JR  lives in the spotlight of TV.  He doesn’t realize that he is similar to Jessica in that way... the public, his agent, his mom, his wife all have an investment in the man.  Celebrity is a double edged sword.  Now that he is tired and burdened by it, JR wants to throw it away to go back to the simple happy life that he under appreciated.  Yes, I agree that it is about power where he thinks he has regain this control, something he has with the old DB.  So like you said, he hasn’t truly reflect on DB’s confession cuz his mind is still wrapped up in what he considered the solution to get out of his marriage. True too that he doesn’t plan for the consequences. 

@grapefruit7 the building where the esthetician worked must have cats roaming nearby in the past, thus why he puts cat food tray there.  I think he must have worked in the building next door...  people open window to air the inside... like what you would do after you PAINT a place!!!  or forgot to close it after you reached out to remove the CCTV camera.

If we go back to 2013 when he was at Camellia writing the msg, his shoes are speckled white...could it be from ashes of the fires besides paint?

• Like 9
  • Love 2

JR wasn't a good, supportive partner for DB, that's been made pretty clear. Even before he became a famous baseball player, he wouldn't take DB as his date to a friend's wedding. He took her for granted, and it wasn't always because he was a superstar.

DB just accepted this mistreatment based on a lifetime of being treated like a second-class citizen. But when she became pregnant, that is when she changed her tune and stood up for herself, and that is why she left him without a word. As she explained, he would say something harsh if he found out, and she didn't want the baby in her belly to hear it. She became strong to protect PG.

To JR's credit, I think he has good in him. Once he was hit with the truth - that he may not have technically been the one to abandon her, but he forced her to leave by being a crappy partner - with both DB and PG telling him about it incredibly clearly - the message definitely registered and he wept from guilt. He still needs to learn more about respecting DB's life and space. He needs to learn that he doesn't get to barge in anytime he wants or interfere with her life. But he IS learning.

It really made my heart just hurt (or "jjan" 짠하다 as Koreans would say) when DB explained why she chose to live in Ongsan. Of course, she was waiting for JR. But it was also because JR explained that the whole town felt like a family, and that's why he liked it, too. She wanted a family... and so did he.

I'm just really happy for DB, and that is why she is so full of joy these days. Ongsan has finally become her family - with the neighborhood crab ladies now on her side, and Ongsan's own son (Yong-Shik) besotted with her. And let's not forget fierce Ja-Young. Women are going to be the ones to save the world.

Also another tear-trigger moment - when PG burst into tears at the buffet. I'm crying right now. This little boy needs all the hugs.

I also cracked up when YS beamed at DB when she told JR to let go of her hand or she will kill him. YS's facial expressions are SO AWESOME. Every little lip curl or eyelid twitch is just LIFE.

--

In the final scene with the murder victim - on the I.D. card of the alleged victim, her name is CHOI, GO-WOON, and her citizen ID number is 861224-2051562. And her address was Paju somewhere.

The numbers after the dash isn't clear but 861224 would indicate that the person's birthdate is 12/24/1986.

This shows that the owner of this ID card could be DB. When she was dropped off at the orphanage, her mom said, "Say your name is Dong-Baek," which indicates that that might not be her actual name. And DB also mentioned that her real birthday was in winter.

Also, DB said she is 34, so 1986 would be her correct birth year based on how they calculate age in Korean.

This show teases us so much.

I still don't know how to feel about the whole serial killer plot line. It's really bringing down what is a fun, lovely rom-com - but I am also very intrigued.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Pil Goo is such a mature lil guy, he wants to protect his mom so much it warms my heart.. I like what Jong Ryeol said & that it was he wished Pil Goo just stayed bein' a kid which is the best thing he's ever done as a parent so far ha-ha! I feel sad for Yong Shik 'cause whatever relationship he has with Dong Baek, no one replaces Pil Goo's real Dad.. which is something Yong Shik can't touch..

Hyang Mi may be a lot of things but she's certainly not dense I'd give her that for sure:P She too suspects Dong Baek's mom is faking her dementia. The old lady didn't refute her accusations immediately either which probably means it's true. But why though? Why abandon Dong Baek all those years ago? Where does she keep disappearing to? Hopefully the drama answers these questions in the remaining ep.

That was so cute how Yong Shik motioned Dong Baek at the end to quickly grab his hand to assert his manliness over Jong Ryeol & her LoL! 

This drama is making me empathise for both Jong Ryeol & Hyang Mi.. the former wanting to reconnect with his son..while at the same time he's trying to recapture what he lost with Dong Baek probably due to guilt~ As for the latter..well , it's obvious Hyang Mi's doin' all the extremes as a means of gettin' attention & affection. She's so desperate for either one she resorts to any low, illegal ways to achieve it.. I find what she said of Dong Baek to be poignant that she was the only one who genuinely cared for her.

Lastly is the 2 different ways moms bring up their sons. There's Dong Baek & Yong Shik's moms who bring up their sons to be sensitive, independent & sweet men with respect for women. While Mr. Noh's mom raised hers to be patriarchal & misogynistic. No wonder Lawyer Hong is goin' off the rails. I love how she stood up against her mil:w00t: 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

In the final scene with the murder victim - on the I.D. card of the alleged victim, her name is CHOI, GO-WOON, and her citizen ID number is 861224-2051562. And her address was Paju somewhere.

The numbers after the dash isn't clear but 861224 would indicate that the person's birthdate is 12/24/1986.

I noticed the Paju town on the ID several episodes ago... I had a thought that Dong Baek family is of North Korea heritage because of Paju location.  Could it be that Dad is not around because he is in NK? Tis reason why Mom had to drop DB off at the orphange?!  

Ohhhh better yet, Mom is NIS super agent ala Vagabond! :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1

Despite my initial reservations of this show because of hints of a tragedy...I persevered!!! Yay! Hahaha I love the leads too much to give it up and I like Kim Ji Seok too (20th Century Boy & Girl And Top Star Yoo Baek are must-watch dramas if you are a fan)!

And Kang Ha Neul’s comedic timing is so good as Yong Shik. The identity of the Joker adds spice and suspense to the drama. Thanks for all the input and analysis,  I enjoyed reading them.

With the very sad news in kpop recently, it did remind me of the first time I saw Kang Ha Neul. He played second lead in “To the Beautiful You” (he was very athletic in that role). And a pleasant surprise was he actually has theatre background and has a beautiful singing voice! He’s very talented actor. Here’s a vid of him singing in Monstar, a musical drama. 

https://youtu.be/u2ghsY9Aq6c

Have a good weekend ahead! 

• Like 12

I am suspecting that the lawyer is the serial killer and the corpse they found was DB’s klepto coworker that stole her bracelet

i am shipping YS and DB so much! I love how genuine and organic their relationship developed and progressed. I really really hope it wasn’t her that died.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Pil Goo is such a mature lil guy, he wants to protect his mom so much it warms my heart.. I like what Jong Ryeol said & that it was he wished Pil Goo just stayed bein' a kid which is the best thing he's ever done as a parent so far ha-ha! I feel sad for Yong Shik 'cause whatever relationship he has with Dong Baek, no one replaces Pil Goo's real Dad.. which is something Yong Shik can't touch..

Hyang Mi may be a lot of things but she's certainly not dense I'd give her that for sure:P She too suspects Dong Baek's mom is faking her dementia. The old lady didn't refute her accusations immediately either which probably means it's true. But why though? Why abandon Dong Baek all those years ago? Where does she keep disappearing to? Hopefully the drama answers these questions in the remaining ep.

That was so cute how Yong Shik motioned Dong Baek at the end to quickly grab his hand to assert his manliness over Jong Ryeol & her LoL! 

This drama is making me empathise for both Jong Ryeol & Hyang Mi.. the former wanting to reconnect with his son..while at the same time he's trying to recapture what he lost with Dong Baek probably due to guilt~ As for the latter..well , it's obvious Hyang Mi's doin' all the extremes as a means of gettin' attention & affection. She's so desperate for either one she resorts to any low, illegal ways to achieve it.. I find what she said of Dong Baek to be poignant that she was the only one who genuinely cared for her.

Lastly is the 2 different ways moms bring up their sons. There's Dong Baek & Yong Shik's moms who bring up their sons to be sensitive, independent & sweet men with respect for women. While Mr. Noh's mom raised hers to be patriarchal & misogynistic. No wonder Lawyer Hong is goin' off the rails. I love how she stood up against her mil:w00t: 

Your observation is so point on and this made me realize why this couple NGT and YJ is not working at all. We know for sure that NGT is desperately looking for respect. His wife has always been correcting him and doesn't let him make decision alone hence he felt that he was not respected. But for him, respect has a different meaning than YJ's respect. Since he has been raised to be patriarchal and misogynistic, he associates respect to being treated as superior, as the one in charge of the family which never happened with his wife. This explains why NGT has been harassing DB all this time... it revealed his patriarchal mentality. As a man, he is allowed to do anything: touch a woman, ask for peanuts for free aso. On the other hand, YJ has a different mentality: she is a strong woman and as such, she perceives herself as independent and equal to the man. For her, you get respect if you are well-mannered and intelligent. YJ lost the respect for her husband the moment she saw that he is more stupid than naive. Furthermore, we know that NGT desires so much to become a governor. IT is his way to compensate his frustration at home... but just like with his wife, if he became a governor, he would abuse his position. With this position, he would reveal his patriarchal and old-fashioned mentality. 

You are right: NGT's mother is to blame for her son's flaws. Because of this analysis, I wished that HYJ filed for a divorce and ends up as governor. NGT needs to realize that he is responsible for his own situation. In reality, he never treated his wife well as he only wanted to be superior to her. Besides, with a divorce, it would teach his mother a lesson. The latter has been using her son's marriage in order to boost her social status.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 7