[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

@lollyminx I love that cat of yours! :love: I agree with you on the neighbourhood having a quaint small town charm. It's very realistic. Yes, the ladies are super mean and nosy but that's true for many small town neighbourhood ladies who feel threatened by an arrival of an outsider.  The talented writer does deserve the credit for the concept.

I love the location. I can appreciate it a lot more because on Netflix I can get the best picture quality. Very detail is so much magnified. The location gives me the feels of another drama of Gong Hyo-jin, 'Thank You' where she was absolutely brilliant! But then she is brilliant in every project that she takes up! But without diverting, the set/location/ setting seems similar to 'Thank You'. I some day wish to visit Jeungdo, where the fictional island was set. 

I find the whole experience of watching this drama quite delightful as the characters seem to be refreshing, the location stunning. (The sunset scene as the two leads stood talking on their way to the railway station). As an audience, it's a great sensory experience and I do appreciate the production team for such detailed handwork and thoughtfulness. In this age of VFX, creating a simple canvas is often more challenging than a grand VFX rich one.

I should stop waxing lyrical about the drama and move on to another but this gives me 'Thank You' feels and I can not stop shamelessly fan-girling about 'Thank You'.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

On 5/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, 0ly40 said:

The drama is a romantic thriller comedy

I guess if I had read the first post of this thread, I wouldn't have been surprised.  :lol: 

But, I think I'll enjoy it a little more because of the mystery, with one major condition--that the victim is NOT Dong Baek.

I am terrible at reading clues, but I was thinking along the lines that Yong-sik's father was an early victim of Joker, and his mother is the latest victim.

Kang Ha-neul is a revelation in this role as a bumpkin!  I love it when he says, "They all think I'm from Seoul."  LOL  Even I can tell from his speech and mannerisms that he lacks that city sophistication.  But that doesn't dim his charm!

Thanks for all the comments!

• Like 11

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 1-2

by fencejumper

[Our newest group of recapper trainees has been hard at work for When the Camellia Blooms. We hope you enjoy the recaps and say hello to @fencejumper!–stroopwafel]

wtcb-00750.jpg

When the Camellia Blooms is off to a strong start and the premiere bursts with just the right amount of humor and charm. Set in a sleepy village, our two protagonists lead very different lives and don’t seem like a perfect match for each other. But sometimes love finds you when and where you least expect it.

EPISODE 1: “The woman with the germanium bracelet”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-1-2/

• Like 8

Regarding that Soompi article shared (above this post), I agree with #2: The "Falling in Love at First Sight" trope and Kang Ha Neul. 

I don't believe in love at first sight but I set that aside while watching this because I love that they show HOW Yong Sik is slowly falling in love with Dong Baek. It's not only in the bookstore scene but throughout the episodes. I love that they're showing him clutching his chest, and at which moments he's feeling the "burning sensation of love" like when Dong Baek explained why she wants to work at a lost and found, when Dong Baek defended Son Dam Bi's character versus the mean neighbors, etc. It's so cute because you can see WHY he's falling in love with her - her principles and tenacity although she's quiet and seems weak, her passion, her points of view, etc. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, triplem said:

The bickering and tension btwn stingy landlord and YS always cracks me up...

Same! I love the actor playing the landlord. I first saw him in Touch Your Heart and then randomly in several movies I saw after (i.e. Swing Kids, Extreme Job, and the Tazza movies). He's much like actor Kim Won Hae. You don't actively follow their projects but they just randomly appear in kdramas and kmovies you watch lol. He's funny. I like him.

• Like 8

Finished watching the latest episode, the minutes go pretty fast for me so no, it's not a boring episode.  There are moments that made me laughed out loud, 99% from Kang Ha Neul's awesomeness, haha (I've gotta screencaps them!).  If you have any doubt on how the writer able to connect the love/human interest stories to the murders, this one will get your head spinning even more on the ID of the serial killer!

Yeah,  ratings were 8.6% and 10% for E5/6. :) 

I enjoy the episode.

• Our Captain Byun does have a heart of gold.  Viewers may have regarded him as the inept police captain but in reality, he's quite thoughtful in his own ways, has treated DongBaek kindly and even tried to protect her.  Much respect to the small town policeman who didn't quite get the admiration from others, including the newly transferred Yong Sik.  We can't judge anyone by his cover, especially one not built for TV cameras :)
Spoiler

• OMG, DongBaek is the sole witness who has come in contact with the killer 6 years ago!! :huh::tears:  The last crime was committed somewhere near the vicinity of Camellia right after she opened the bar.  More questions than answers really!  Why, how and who did it! 
  • He's a regular, a nice customer whom she gives free peanuts!

• Victims:  prostitute, jjajyangmyeon delivery guy, apartment association president, 6th grade boy and skin therapist.  What is the common thread among them?  The shoes are our first real look of the killer in the open.  Is he a repairman or construction worker?
  • Best line:  How can a human beats a goblin?
  • GHJ finally said it. Admitting that her ideal man is friend Gong Yoo, a goblin in which Yong Sik could never bested.  And who said they don't have fun acting in this drama?:lol:
  • I like Yong Sik, not only for his pure heart... cuz it takes someone who is not cynical to see the best in people.  The men in this small town all kept their secrets and feelings close to heart.  Most are afraid to express their feelings or stand up to their wives.   It takes courage to bare the truth so brownie points for the confession.  Minus 1 for the delivery. :lol:
  • There's a fine line between lovestruck and stalker.  I say work the backdoor with Pil-Go YS!
  • For the love of god, Capt Byun has terrible intuition.  How!? Yong Sik and Hyang Mi? LOL
  • The case of the PPL eyecream!  A hsb who craves respect and a wife who treats him poorly.  It not only take a beautiful woman to move Kyu-Tae, nice words can do the same.  Guess he is not too different than DongBaek.  Tho I wish he doesn't doll out abuse to others as he receives them at home.  If his wife is indeed the killer, we may know why. Jealousy! Motive!
  • Lawyer Hong is not only crude, she is downright scary even in expensive designer clothes.
  • Second person on Dong Baek's side has confessed. She just needs time to let the first person go.  
  • Udon dinner at seaside proves that cheap dates can be romantic.  The sunset was beautiful.  The glance DB gave at the end is hopeful.
  • It pained me to see Dong Baek has such low self esteem. But I love how Pil-Gu existence became her beacon of light to endure the bullying and negativity. I teared up at how priceless her son is to her and how lucky she feels for having someone like him. He's a gift, not a burden to this woman.
  • Like 16

Kang Ha Neul Is The Man Gong Hyo Jin Has Been Waiting For In “When The Camellia Blooms”

Kang Ha Neul Is The Man Gong Hyo Jin Has Been Waiting For In âWhen The Camellia Bloomsâ
Sep 26, 2019
by U. Kim

Kang Ha Neul and Gong Hyo Jin will share a significant moment together in the upcoming episode of KBS 2TV’s “When the Camellia Blooms.”

“When the Camellia Blooms” tells the stories of three couples in different stages of love. The drama will focus on the romance that blossoms between Dong Baek (Gong Hyo Jin), a woman who is trapped in a certain perception about love, and Yong Shik (Kang Ha Neul), who shows undying support and love for her.

In the newly revealed stills, Dong Baek covers her face as she bursts into tears, and Yong Shik watches her with undecipherable eyes.

Credits: soompi

• Like 8
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, triplem said:

@lollyminx I first saw him in this drama called Plus Nine Boys . I recommend it if you hv time .

Ooooh the plot sounds interesting! I will definitely watch it. Thanks! :lol:

3 hours ago, Angelica Claudia said:

Glad to see you in this forum @lollyminx  :D

:lol: Yeah, I'm loving the narrative progression of this show. 

• Like 6

I got a feeling that Joker is the repairman guy (Hong Sik) after I saw the epilogue where he ignites that lighter and he's wearing that same glove on ep 3 after he fixed the sink. May be reaching a bit but he looks very suspicious and nervous especially after Yong Sik asked him about the paint.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 7

Er, Dong Baek used to be a prostitute..?!:blink::( The sexism continues:rolleyes: I like how sassy that lawyer lady is:w00t: maybe that's why her husband goes around throwing his weight 'cause he's not given any attention/control at home. Goodness they sure live in the stone ages, holding hands mean they're dating now LoL?! Yikes. And women  should be at home with kids not driving around WoW-_-:rolleyes:

It's nice to see that the ex wants to be involved in Pil Goo's life, better late than never I suppose. Though he looks like he's not over Dong Baek yet.

LMFAo!! "How Can Any Human Being Compete With The Goblin?!":w00t::lol::w00t::lol:

• Like 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, chantalmocca said:

I got a feeling that Joker is the repairman guy (Hong Sik) after I saw the epilogue where he ignites that lighter and he's wearing that same glove on ep 3 after he fixed the sink. May be reaching a bit but he looks very suspicious and nervous especially after Yong Sik asked him about the paint.

LOL, it does make sense if we remember the abandoned building has to be remodeled 6 years ago into the bar.  Was the person a regular worker whom DB has frequent contact with?

Clues perhaps, Captain Byun at the scene of the killed therapist, the leaked fire sprinkler.

Spoiler

Screenshot 2019-09-26 16.57.43
Screenshot 2019-09-26 16.57.58

Zhe hand that kills, no callus, clean fingernails, doesn't seem like the person do a lot of manual labor.... feminine much? :D The second thing I noticed is that it's a big barrel marker.  As a woman, I can't control big marker to write smoothly like this person... we are looking at a male.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.57.18Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.57.33

The shoes

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.55.03

There's a time and a place for everything, including love confessions.

Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.44.16

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.40.35Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.41.28Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.41.39Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.44.50Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.46.05Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.45.32Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.46.34Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.46.44

... !!!  However...

Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.43.35

credit: Netflix

Ratings E7/8:  7.7%/10%

Screenshot 2019-09-26 17.26.53

• Like 9
  • Love 2