[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

30 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

And what if joker is a different person? :lol:

I also don't like it and in other dramas, I would have rolled my eyes but I didn't because this drama is just so good, it's forgivable, easy to brush off. :D

• Official Statement from Kang Jong-ryeol

"In light of rumors circulating and the possibility of false information being released to the public about my family life, I am breaking my silence. As it is a personal matter separate from my career, I would have wanted to deal with it in private. However, to avoid false rumors from spreading, I prefer that you learn the truth from me. 

Yes, I have fathered a child with a former girlfriend. I didn't know about it until x months ago. At present time, the child's mother and I are trying our best to find an amicable solution so we can co-parent our child. My son and his mother have already been through enough and I wish that you respect their privacy. I will take legal action against individuals who will spread false rumors or harass my son and his mother. 

My current wife knows about it and any issue between us is a different matter altogether."

And prior to the press statement, Jong-ryeol should request private time with Dong-baek and Pil-gu during which they can sort things out, come to a clean agreement, and reassure Pil-gu that he can continue living his life normally as Jong-ryeol will protect his and Dong-baek's privacy, and that whatever people say, he is loved by both his parents plus 1 second parent in Yong-sik and that he has their support always. 

... is how I wish Jong-ryeol would have resolved the matter but we're dealing with a hot-headed person so.

You should be his advisor! and get paid all those money he was so ready to foolishly give the reporter :lol::glasses:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

Episode 14 should be renamed as Bed Scene Alert B)

YS sii, what do you want to do after DB washes your hair?

I like the way they are trying to suppress their smiles when YS invites DB over, before and during YS washes his wound at the hospital.. it's the cutest thing ever

• Like 2
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 16

4 hours ago, triplem said:

Am a  big  KJS fan  , but his character Jang Ryeol behaves like a 1st class jerk . I find it hard to watch him here .  Lol! 

Honestly KJR would be even more unbearable if it weren't for KJS. Those sad puppy eyes do some serious magic. But yes, KJR is an insufferable scumbag most of the time. What adds insult to injury is that he waves money around like it's the answer to all of life's problems.

That aside, this is a fantastic drama.

2 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

No closer to figuring out who killed Hyang Mi - could it end up like Murder on the Orient Express?

It's possible. I have a somewhat similar hypothesis but it doesn't involve an actual conspiracy to kill HM. ;)

@lollyminx Almost got me there for a minute... ;) thought it was a real press release... and then decided. "This can't be right. This is too sensible to be KJR talking." SIgh. It's not as if the man doesn't have some cunning either but he misapplies it. More dollars than sense. 

2 hours ago, lollyminx said:

I also don't like it and in other dramas, I would have rolled my eyes but I didn't because this drama is just so good, it's forgivable, easy to brush off. :D

I rolled my eyes.. But I forgave the show because technically it was an infant connection. :P Heh. Kdramaland... they just can't resist... they sure love their "fated to love you" moments. Is it too much to hope that the birth secret trope doesn't make its way in here as well?

Well, okay PG is kind of a birth secret.

Like everyone else I did enjoy the post-discharge visit interaction. It did crack me up and I did love how utterly innocent YS looked when he talked about it. And the reaction of the medicos. Ha! But as I said, yesterday, YS doesn't think like other people.

But the thing that really surprised and amused me was how game DB was. She was pretty gung-ho about it. She was definitely up for it :D

At the rate these two are going... Pil-gu will have a little dongsaeng by the end of the drama. 

;)

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Like everyone else I did enjoy the post-discharge visit interaction. It did crack me up and I did love how utterly innocent YS looked when he talked about it. And the reaction of the medicos. Ha! But as I said, yesterday, YS doesn't think like other people.

But the thing that really surprised and amused me was how game DB was. She was pretty gung-ho about it. She was definitely up for it :D

At the rate these two are going... Pil-gu will have a little dongsaeng by the end of the drama. 

;)

Yes more game and skinship please!

Like in IOTL :wub:

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 23-24

by selena

WTCB12-00138.jpg

It’s a long, soul-crushing day for our girls from the Camellia as they each deal with their own battles. They learn that sometimes, you can try your best to do the right thing but it still won’t be good enough.

EPISODE 23: “Don’t Forget Me”

wtcb12-00031.jpg

Nak-ho grabs Dong-baek by the collar, growling that she’s dead meat. The threats don’t last long; his wrist is crushed by Yong-shik’s iron grip. Dong-baek takes a cue from Jung-sook, crying that Nak-ho choked her, and Yong-shik announces that everything that’s about to happen is considered self-defense.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-23-24/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

a small detail i really appreciate about this drama is how they managed to cast actors with such a convincing appearance?? LOL. like how DB and her mum have a slight resemblance, and young ms. kwak resembled present day ms. kwak quite a lot too. the young version of DB's mum looked SO much like her present day counterpart, i knew immediately it was supposed to be her character! :open_mouth:

haha maybe it's just me but i appreciate those tiny details :lol: 

omg and that scene with the car wash attendant suggesting the steering wheel was stained bc NGT picked his nose...! that was so funny sjksksjks

my favourite part of this drama is YS and DB's romance so i was getting really impatient to see them together the whole of episode 14!!! finally came their exchange in the hospital (and KHN's facial expressions HA he's so good) + DB running into YS's arms after leaving her mother really.....:flushed::heart::heart: they're so precious plz protect them at all costs!!!!!! i agree w all of you, the childhood trope is really........ah.......... but baby DB putting her feet on ms. kwak's pregnant tum omg my heart :heart:

NEXT WEDNESDAY COME QUICKLYYYYYYYYYYY

• Like 14
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, milkypeony said:

a small detail i really appreciate about this drama is how they managed to cast actors with such a convincing appearance?? LOL. like how DB and her mum have a slight resemblance, and young ms. kwak resembled present day ms. kwak quite a lot too. the young version of DB's mum looked SO much like her present day counterpart, i knew immediately it was supposed to be her character! :open_mouth:

haha maybe it's just me but i appreciate those tiny details :lol: 

It's not just you.  I appreciate those details.  And I think all of the actors are doing a terrific job!  That's part of what I love about this drama--each character is so detailed and authentic (maybe not always in a real-world way, but at least in a k-drama way).

So, I have a question.  Do you think the shaman from the past is the younger version of Heung-sik's father?  I'm not sure, but I could construct an entire story line about his superstitious beliefs about witches and fire and about the death of YS's father and ...

34cbf64c7b99f5b36a804d73ae92a51fedadd3a2

c3ecc24298c50c9c35189bd5556df0c794114241

I have a few other ideas about him, too, but mostly I'm waiting to see if he uses that wheelchair of his.

27cdc689b9f195de754473d1ac77b69d653569c1

• Like 3
  • Insightful 17

8 hours ago, 1ouise said:

So, I have a question.  Do you think the shaman from the past is the younger version of Heung-sik's father?  I'm not sure, but I could construct an entire story line about his superstitious beliefs about witches and fire and about the death of YS's father and ...

Thanks for posting the pics. Now it’s easy to compare. I had the same suspicion too. It’s like maybe since YS’s mother called him out as faking her husband spirit, his life as shaman was ruined and affected him much so he is holding grudges now. After looking at the picture, he could very well be that shaman. 

• Like 14

8 hours ago, 1ouise said:

22 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I had the same suspicion too. It’s like maybe since YS’s mother called him out as faking her husband spirit, his life as shaman was ruined and affected him much so he is holding grudges now. After looking at the picture, he could very well be that shaman. 

I agree to the possibility that the fake shaman could be HS's father.  But I am also confused. Was there another caller to the hospital? Because in this episode we finally see HS dad's face. But in an earlier episode the caller's face was only shown partially. I thought it was a different person. Does anyone has a shot of the person who called to the hospital? Because I do believe that the arsonist and Joker are two different persons. 

• Like 13

The caller at the end of episode 13 is also HS's father (same setting shown: lampshade, red phone, garmoxone bottles) . With everything the show has shown us, we know that he is the arsonist but we can't completely tell if he is also the Joker. 

I also believe that the arsonist and the Joker are two different persons.

HS's father's modus seems to be about witch hunting / burning.

The Joker seems to have a different motive on his killings. Remember that one of his victims is a delivery guy(probably mistaken as a wizard) and a grade schooler(biggest question, why?).

• Like 9
  • Insightful 4

@1ouise Great observation and it looks like the arsonist, HS's father, is on a witch hunt. So he is targeting people who are linked to single mothers and widows. I agree that the incident at the funeral might have ruined his reputation as shaman and since YS's mother didn't accept that she and YS were unlucky,  HS's father might have resented her, when in his life a tragedy occurred. He might have blamed YS's mother as representing all women without a man for cursing his life. And in my opinion, The Joker could be his son. Notice that there is a link between the fires and the murders. 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

I love this drama but it feels weird that two episodes a week isn't enough for me now.  :P

When I saw a video of Lee Sun Kyun with GHJ walking together posted here in this thread, I thought he was going to make a cameo. Did he just visited the Camellia set? :(  I was really hoping for a cameo. 

• Like 8

I'm sure others have noticed that in the flashback, Baby DB had a bandage on her head and DB's mom had a busted lip. And she had a suitcase with her.

She was probably escaping a physically abusive situation. So sad.

I don't think DB's mom wanted DB to donate her kidney, exactly. I think there is probably some wistful hope because most people would prefer to live rather than die, but I also think that her primary objective was that she just wanted to see DB and spend some meaningful time with her before she died.

I don't blame DB for being angry, though.

This show remains awesome. Aside from being so much fun to watch, it's also giving me a lot of food for thought about how women are treated by society. We see women from all different walks of life, and how they each face hardships due to factors that are not of their own making. Even Ja Yeong, one of the stronger, more socially established women on the show, gets screamed at by some misogynist road-rager and treated like crap by her mother-in-law.

I think the theory is good that the serial killer is probably some sort of misogynist with a lot of anger or judgment towards women.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

8 hours ago, Dumdoc said:

@hkt9207 One of the Gong Hyo Jin fans on instagram said he was filming for another drama there along with Ryeo Jung Won (?). He is such an amazing actor but a cameo would be too jarring for me. Lol

Thanks for the explanation. I really thought there would be a guest cameo since Camellia is really doing great in ratings. I guess I got spoiled by the cameos in that TVN drama. :D

6 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I'm sure others have noticed that in the flashback, Baby DB had a bandage on her head and DB's mom had a busted lip. And she had a suitcase with her.

She was probably escaping a physically abusive situation. So sad.

I don't think DB's mom wanted DB to donate her kidney, exactly. 

I think the theory is good that the serial killer is probably some sort of misogynist with a lot of anger or judgment towards women.

Sorry for cutting up your post. I believe DB's mom isn't after her kidney as well. Mom feels too guilty for abandoning DB and wants to use the time she has left to protect her daughter.   

The show still hasn't shown to the audience who actually saved DB from Joker. Some of us think it was her mom. But what if it was someone else? And I'm also curious as to why HS always wear gloves. What is wrong with his hands? There are so many questions that needed to be answered. I believe whatever happened to HS might hold the answer as to why the father is now obsessed about burning and witches.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, htk9207 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I really thought there would be a guest cameo since Camellia is really doing great in ratings. I guess I got spoiled by the cameos in that TVN drama. :D

I wish Gong Yoo makes a cameo. He and Kim Soo Hyun (in Hotel del Luna) would vie for the honour of be "The cameo of the year". 

tumblr_pyheskB7wF1vkz0npo2_250.gifv

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Just gonna share this old clip here as this is one of my favorite scenes that caught me off guard. (Turn on CC for english subtitles)

Back to the Joker guy, there is still one character that had been bugging me differently than the others, he's a regular of Camellia and he also fits the 'Ahjussi' archetype. 

Q20Lm1s.png

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

Hello. I just caught up and hope no one minds me popping in here. Regarding DB’s mom, though her behavior was peculiar at times, any suspicions that I had about her in the beginning quickly faded based on how she seemed to truly care about DB and Pil Gu. Like everyone is saying here, I also believe that she just wanted to say goodbye by using the remaining time she has left to help DB. It’ll be interesting to know what that one thing she wants to do for DB is, if it’s not simply leaving her money. About the mom’s conversation with the doctor, is it possible that she was referring to the other "daughter" and not actually DB? It was odd how she randomly showed up. I still don’t quite get it. The samgyeopsal scene was so heartbreaking :tears:. Especially how it paralleled to when the mom was preparing to abandon DB. I'm pretty certain that the kidney situation will turn out to be a misunderstanding. I just hope mother and daughter can reconcile before time runs out.

This whole story has been amazing all along, but the last few episodes bringing to light the backstories of Hyang Mi, YS’s mom and DB’s mom have been extremely spectacular. It has really opened up my eyes in realizing the hardships that women and kids go through. The end scene with young YS and DB's moms really got me. The compassion and understanding between women was so touching. This is hands down one of the best dramas I've seen so far.

• Like 13

cr. to@nasaan ka Alex? Q20Lm1s.png

Yes, this ahjussi has been suspected by another user. He was there, when the CCTV was installed.

Then we have this ahjussi who put his dried chilies on the street in order to sell them. image.png image.pngWe saw that in HS's house, there were chilies drying on the floor.

Anyway, I have the impression that the Joker is someone related to the arsonist, HS's father. The father resents women and so does the serial killer.  

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

@bebebisous33

Isn't (Park)Heung Shik's sister (Park)Chan Sook(the leader of the Ahjumma gang)? Chan Sook is also the wife of the guy(Song Jin Bae) i mentioned. This is their names/relationship listed on MDL which might be wrong tho. 

I forgot that dried chili part, but that guy seems to be in the chubbier side, and doesn't seem to match the silhouette of our mysterious Joker.

• Like 9