[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

So, I was finally allowed back in the forum. This site can't seem to just inform people that they need to change their password ever so often. Anyway, the noble idiocy just had to rear its ugly head in this drama and we got it at the end of the last episode. DB can cry all she wants, but it is her noble idiocy that is making her breakup with YS. Also, Pilgu is misdirecting his anger onto his mother.

When Pilgu and YS first met, they hit it off. Both of them love playing video games. Even though YS knows Pilgu should probably be in class, he can't help getting a bunch of coins and playing with him. Immediately YS becomes a staple at Camelia's, not because of the murder, which doesn't come up til later, but because of his interest in DB. He is unafraid and not shy at all about letting DB and the entire town know that he has feelings for DB. At this point Pilgu becomes a little more interested in him. Unfortunately, this gets interrupted by the sudden appearance of his biological father. Pilgu gets overwhelmed weighing if YS is worthy of his mother and whether he wants to be a part of his father's life. 

Now, this is where DB messed up. She should have created boundaries and rules with JR from the very beginning, but she was too passive about the whole thing and he forced his way into his son's life, giving him gifts and confusing him on his intentions. As a viewer, even I wasn't sure if JR was just trying to get to know his son or if he was trying to win DB back. Meanwhile, YS was this constant dependable man in their lives. He came to DB's rescue immediately. He respected her, her son and drew a line in the sand with his mother when she turned on DB. Again, Pilgu took notice, enough so that when he left to go out of town with his team, he asked YS to stay with his mom and watch over things until he returned.

Pilgu didn't have a real problem with DB and YS until YS's mother filled his head with him being a burden. He internalized this and assumed that if someday YS and DB got married, she would abandon him. YS's mother has turned out to be the absolute WORST. I think this is what she believed for herself or made herself believe because she hated that the shaman told her she was destined to be a widow. Pilgu then made the dramatic decision to go live with his father and he used baseball, since that was all JR ever emphasized to him, as the reason why. However, once he got to Seoul and moved in with JR, all he saw was JR, his wife and the baby. Once again, he is associating marriage as being something he can't be a part of. JR was still hiding the fact that he was his son. So, when DB fetches him from that mess, Pilgu unleashes on her and forces her to choose her own happiness OR him, because he can't imagine that she needs both he and YS.

Pilgu needs a man around because he struggles with the fact that he is a child. All of this is grown-up stuff. He shouldn't be losing an ounce of sleep over it. This is where I blame DB again. She needs to sit him down and reassure him and let him know that he is a child and should not be worried about any of these things. She also needs to undo what YS's mother did and let him know that he is not a burden. Breaking up with YS solves nothing. Now, she will be miserable and trying to hide it from him which is setting them up for a dysfunctional relationship. Pilgu is her son. A child. He is not her man or the man of the house. There should be no confusion on this. Part of the reason she hasn't communicated well to Pilgu is she has abandonment issues and still hasn't forgiven her mother. Fear has allowed her to keep her mom around, but not fully accept her into her life again. Her mom should apologize to her. Maybe then, DB can have the confidence to have a healthy relationship with her son. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

When the Camellia Blooms: Episodes 35-36

by TeriYaki

WhentheCamelliaBlooms-E3600461-copy.jpg

The temporary separation between our heroine and her son unearths some unsettling truths. An eight-year-old can only endure so much and between dealing with the father that he never knew and a serial killer on the loose, the kind neighborhood cop who’s in love with his mother may prove to be too much. As the net closes in on a killer, what does the future look like for our cop and his lady love?

EPISODE 35: “Life of an Eight-Year-Old”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/11/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-35-36/

• Like 7

Hello everyone. It's Camellia Day again:rolleyes: 

@Sakurafairy

I love the fan art collection:wub:

5 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Also, Pilgu is misdirecting his anger onto his mother.

So true. And everything you stated in your post, I absolutely agree. 

7 hours ago, chickfactor said:

YS explained that the reason he suddenly stopped killing then began again was the leg injury. So he must have been seriously injured, then recovered.

He was after DB all this time. She was only not killed because he got hurt.

I must have forgotten or wasn't paying attention to the subs. Thanks for clarifying that. 

I'm wondering has anyone heard of any news of Camellia Blooms cast going to the airport for their reward vacation trip?

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, htk9207 said:

Hello everyone. It's Camellia Day again:rolleyes: 

Yes!

I'm sad it's over soon.

Anyway, aside from the adorable romance, to me, this show is all about parents and children. You've got all these moms showing imperfect but fierce love for their children - YS's mom, DB's mom, even Jessica's mom and Gyu-Tae's mom, and many others - imperfect parents (some *very* imperfect) but you can't doubt the fierce love they have for their kids. All of them, in some way, are trying to make up for something they are sorry to their kids about.

YS's mom - sorry that YS never had a father

DB's mom - sorry that she (apparently) had no choice but to abandon DB

Jessica's mom - seems like her father is not a good dude

Gyu-Tae's mom - Gyu-Tae's dad seems like not a great dude, either?

And Hyang-Mi. Poor Hyang-Mi. She spent her entire life trying to give her little brother a better one to make up for the neglect they both suffered.

And of course, DB herself. Seeing Pil-Gu treated like an afterthought in JR's home was enraging to her.

It was genuinely heartbreaking when Heung-Sik was devastated to see his father arrested. Poor Heung-Sik, he actually seems like a nice, caring person who just had the bad luck to have a father who's a murdering psychopath. (But we don't know the whole story yet so who knows.)

I have no doubt YS+DB=Forever by the end of the story. All arrows are pointing in that direction, and everyone, at this point, is rooting for this relationship to happen.

- DB's mom's final will and testament to YS is apparently "Stay with my daughter forever" (based on the preview)

- I'm sure that unseen conversation between DB's mom and YS's mom is about DB's mom asking YS's mom to accept DB as future daughter-in-law

And of course, you've got the Ong-vengers on DB's side now. (I think those tracksuits they were wearing is an homage to the movie, "Sunny")

I'm sure that PG, being the emotionally intelligent 8-year-old that he is will know that his mom made a huge sacrifice for him by dumping YS, and change his tune. In fact, he had already accepted YS's role in his mom's life. Of course he's going to have a rough time adjusting, of course he will feel insecure and needy. He is 8.

I just want to see Ja-Yeong finally have a drink with DB and hang out. Is that too much to ask? :D

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Hyojin posted.  Thank you for giving your best.

#Mom

Spoiler

#squad

For those who fear Camellia withdrawal, KBS plans to air 2 special episodes next week.^^

KBS Camellia website said to pay attention to these points as the drama wraps up

1) Adult Pilgu, in relation to DB/YS future

2) YS's discovery of this in HS's trash

Spoiler

VTVENTER_70000000332186_20191120_2019112

3) Hyang Mi's mystery yellow ball that she swallowed.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 10.41.29 AM

Once again, the kids 

Spoiler

Pil Gu's rewards, well deserved  Kim Kang Hoon.  Nerf is awesome stuff.

Spoiler

Happily ever after.  Let's see little Yong Sik in the finale OK? 

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 7.04.18 PM

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

(I think those tracksuits they were wearing is an homage to the movie, "Sunny")

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

just want to see Ja-Yeong finally have a drink with DB and hang out. Is that too much to ask?

That scene did gave me the same vibes. I thought I was the only one. I really liked that movie.:P

Sigh. Ja-yeong and DB hanging out indeed would be cool. I even wanted them to become friends. Problem is DB seems intimidated by JY. :(

@bedifferent

Thanks for the wonderful news. I was wishing for a special episode filled with behind the scenes and NG footages. Now we get not 1 but 2 special episodes. :wub:

• Like 8

@htk9207 Hehe I love Sunny too!  Hopefully there are some BTS.  Carson Allen who plays Helena supposedly filmed hours of her own BTS, not sure if she will share them.  No airport photo yet by the press.

On November 19, an official of KBS2 TV announced that they have prepared two special episodes which will broadcast after the drama ends. The special broadcast will air next week on November 27 and 28. The special episodes are expected to consist of the contents that were the main highlights from the drama.

Meanwhile, the entire crew of  When The Camellia Blooms will be leaving for a reward vacation from November 20 to 22 for two days and three nights in Gangwon Province.

Source

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chickfactor said:

YS explained that the reason he suddenly stopped killing then began again was the leg injury. So he must have been seriously injured, then recovered.

He was after DB all this time. She was only not killed because he got hurt.

I also have a theory if we're going for the "Heungsik is the joker" angle. Seeing as he's clingy towards his father, maybe when his father fell and was injured, Heungsik locked him in even if he's recovered to prevent him from getting into another accident and dying. But since his father is a serial killer who must kill, Heungsik took over. I don't know, just a guess. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Insightful 1

15 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

I also have a theory if we're going for the "Heungsik is the joker" angle. Seeing as he's clingy towards his father, maybe when his father fell and was injured, Heungsik locked him in even if he's recovered to prevent him from getting into another accident and dying. But since his father is a serial killer who must kill, Heungsik took over. I don't know, just a guess. 

HS could be Joker v 2.0.  Why did Hyang Mi swallow the yellow thing?  What is it?  Something from the killer during her struggle?  What can be yellow at the crime scene?  

HM’s killer wears a watch on his left hand, which makes me think he is right handed.  Is HS ambidextrous?  HS’s dad hates clock, wouldn’t he also want to avoid watches? 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 5

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

@htk9207

Meanwhile, the entire crew of  When The Camellia Blooms will be leaving for a reward vacation from November 20 to 22 for two days and three nights in Gangwon Province.

I thought they were going out of the country. No wonder there is no airport news. :(  I guess after filming for several months they just want to chill in a place far away from the media. 

• Like 6

Episode 19

Favorite Scenes

• Future governor of Ongsan Hong Jayeong finally going to the Camellia to have a drink with Dongbaek  
  • Drunk Hong Jayeong :lol:

Thoughts

• "What a life" made me cry buckets.
  • There's a history behind Dongbaek's mom's gaudy pink hat. It's sad but I love that it had a story. 

Clear answers about the reason behind the murders. I think viewers won't be disappointed... although that yellow thing Hyangmi swallowed is still on my mind lol

There's no preview for the last episode right?

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah yes the ever popular trope, Noble Idiocy.. seriously what're dramas without it?? Dong Baek's mom decide to (a rather painful decision) distance herself in order not to hurt Dong Baek any further which is pointless no matter how one looks at it. I do understand why though.. I got excited when it was revealed Dong Baek did get adopted but alas she really is dense LoL. She could've had a chance at a brighter future & a new beginning. Instead she chose to be a downer ( as always:rolleyes:)   

Mothers really are something, they do so much & at times we as children fail to understand why. I lost my mom a year ago so this ep. hit too close to home for me..:( It is only now I truly see what drove her to do the things she did. I used to think my mom was overdramatic (and she was LoL:P) but everything she did was to prepare me for what's ahead.. 

Jong Ryeol has done a 180 these past couple of ep. He simply took things for granted, sadly that's how people are isn't it? We never appreciate what we have until it's gone..:tears: As for Heung Shik, well again I commend him for his benevolence. He admits he hated his dad but what to do he is still his parent after all. 

Finally Lawyer Hong got to have that drink at Dong Baek's bar:w00t: & Mr. Noh's like a kid when he finds out she'd serve him his peanuts at last ha-ha. So the Joker killed all those people over the snide remarks they made!? Geez if that's the case I got a list of people too LoL!:P Of course that'd be wrong & doesn't solve anything. We may not be able to control others' actions but we can choose how we react.        

• Like 9
  • Love 1