[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

On 11/17/2019 at 3:09 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

@ehy

Yea but I've watched enough dramas to know that the breakup was a sort of impasse? Y'know to generate more..wait for it..drama:rolleyes: Plus I actually think some time apart will be good for both. Dong Baek's way too attached to Pil Gu, so until she gets therapy or grows up or get her act together maybe, just maybe..she can be with Yong Shik. 'Cause right now she frustrates me LoL! Yea I say it 'gain she really doesn't deserve him. :P

Yep, drama sure is :lol: just like you I've watched decent amount of kdramas and as for me this is the break up that really makes sense, I've been to that noble-idiocy road watched that for the nth time, typical its us against the world, I'm no good for you such things.. But hey two adults breaking up knowing exactly why and why they should let go of each other, this doesn't happen very often. You were right they sure need some time apart, but we might differ on DB being way too attached on PG.. again PG is not an obstacle to their relationship even YS understood that why he felt so helpless. Sometimes the saying right love at the wrong time, damn happens. Don't get me wrong I'm not overly protecting DB here.. it's just that her circumstances is acting like a richard simmons taking advantage of her limitations. I do feel the same way about you sometimes, coz a guy like YS is to GRAB FOR! Let me share a scene where I really felt infuriated on her, it's when KJR stating reality checks on his financial status over YS (it's a jerk move, but hey he's talking life here). YS clearly told her not let KJR in her bar again, but she's still letting him in and for goodness sake she should've slapped him real hard that time, but she didn't.. all we get, is, wait for it.. HEY! :angry: no wonder YS's mom barge in with a purpose.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:09 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

I think parenting is like the luck of the draw tbh. There've been decent folks with crappy kids & decent kids with crappy parents. There's just no tellin' how they'd turn out. I mean I've heard from countless complaints how they didn't know whether to be a friendly parent or a strict disciplinarian parent. 

Couldn't agree more! But I do still think parental guidance would play a big part on shaping up ones core.

--

I found no flaws how they delivered the break up scene, foremost okay might be a unpopular opinion but I sure like how they take this emotionally. Their relationship is bound to overcome tons or humongous hurdles ahead, they did went through a lot. It would be a lie to completely ignore and not be bothered by the circumstances that DB's in. In a short span of spring they laugh, they cry together, one ran and one chases the other, one went off head on battling social enigma. Other went to fight her own self, strive and driven by YS's love, enduring unavoidable agony (YS's mom), life threatening incident and factors.. and was currently facing life itself together. Stating these things both were fighting and holding on for one another in their own way, it dismantles the question and grounds on whom loves more.. Waiting, don't take it for granted. It's a significant time were you or the other can fall out of love, no one knows what the future holds. I get it, it's not like their cutting off one another so it's really not that dramatic-dramaland-case after all, but I'm pretty sure they're going to do the break up properly.. being apart, not being able to show affection and intimacy they need, to shut off their feelings for the time being, I personally don't think it's an easy task. They established a pretty solid bond not just romantic involvement but the companionship that naturally came along.. it's worth the tears, Why I would totally bawl my eyes out just like the two of them did.

Edited by ehy
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, lollyminx said:

I do understand that it's because she's worrying about the joker and is grieving over Hyangmi, or that Dongbaek is written that way, but it's frustrating to watch sometimes. 

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Anyway, I'm sure they will work things out soon enough. (As long as it's not relegated to the last 15 minutes of the finale) I agree that PG isn't the real obstacle or even Ms Kwak. This isn't Joseon Korea. If there's a will, there's a way.

Was wondering if either of you enjoy gardening? :D I used to dabble when I had time and I tell you, I get the frustration.  There are some plants, camellia for one, that are not high maintenance but do require occasional pruning and fertilizing.  I think my camellia (pink) plant was the most hardy and carefree one.  Requires acidic feed several times a year, when the flowers have dropped.  That's basically it.  All it needs is you clearing out the dead leaves/flowers to keep the root area clear.  You just let it be, many times it will just stay dormant quietly in its corner. When the flowers do bloom, they are spectacular. Dong Baek is very much like the flower that she is named after.  Yong Shik may just have to wait and be there when the time comes. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Dong Baek is very much like the flower that she is named after.  Yong Shik may just have to wait and be there when the time comes. :)

YES and I'm sure Yongsik will  be there and they'll be together so I'm not sad about the break-up. I'm reserving my sadness for star-crossed kdrama couples (like let's say the couple from HDL who can't be together - I'm sorry, it's one of the most recent drama and I can't think of other star-crossed couples from earlier ones).

But does that make Yongsik grass who keeps showing up beside the camellia? Relentless, never goes away. :lol: I LOVE your metaphor by the way. I live for metaphors.

• Like 5

Just dropping by to say that, for what it's worth, I don't think they got the right Joker.  Hyungsik is the Joker. 

source: https://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/11/18/when-the-camellia-blooms-ep-18-jokers-identity

Excerpt: 

I don't think Hyungsik's dad is the Joker. It's Hyungsik. I know the police captured the dad but the profile is all wrong.

1. You see, the murderer of the beautician turned up the volume of the radio while he did his killing.

From Ep 16 at 51:07. The dad of Hyungsik was hyper-sensitive to sound. The clocks inside the house had no batteries because they made noise. He probably hated cats because they meowed. And the dad regarded Hyemi a "noisy richard simmons" but he didn't kill Hyemi.

2. The murderer is ambidextrous.

From Ep 16 at 24:40. Yongsik consulted a profiler who said that that the murderer favors his left but can use both hands.

From Ep 4 at 1:00:03 While Yongsik was painting the wall of Dongbaek's bar, Hyungsik was in the bar with him. I told y'all this in a previous post. :)  It was his (left) hand rubbing the lighter under the table. It couldn't have been Hyungsik's dad in the bar. Hyungsik was the one who brought the can of paints for re-painting the wall.

3. The murderer is triggered by either unwanted attention or jealousy.

Enjoy! 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 8
  • Thanks 2

Disclaimer - I have not watched, but have read some segments.

@bedifferent’s post on Camellias had me thinking...and then there was that cryptic voiceover (?) with the son’s words “My mother’s miraculous spring days ended just like that, and I grew up under those kind of spring days”

Camellias bloom in primarily in autumn/early winter.  Usually when my Camellias bloom, they tell me autumn is around the corner and we’re finally saying goodbye to summer.  And as @bedifferent has mentioned, they are really hardy failsafe plants where I live...unlike my roses. <_< who have to be mollycoddled (fed just right) and protected from weeds, insects, fungal attacks (you name it, they’ll get it).

Title of this drama is When the Camellias Bloom...so now that spring is over, there needs to be a summer (waiting/parting) before the Camellias bloom in autumn (reunion of the OTP).  Don’t know.  Taking a quick stab at it now that the ending is nigh :lol:

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Disclaimer - I have not watched, but have read some segments.

@bedifferent’s post on Camellias had me thinking...and then there was that cryptic voiceover (?) with the son’s words “My mother’s miraculous spring days ended just like that, and I grew up under those kind of spring days”

Camellias bloom in primarily in autumn/early winter.  Usually when my Camellias bloom, they tell me autumn is around the corner and we’re finally saying goodbye to summer.  And as @bedifferent has mentioned, they are really hardy failsafe plants where I live...unlike my roses. <_< who have to be mollycoddled (fed just right) and protected from weeds, insects, fungal attacks (you name it, they’ll get it).

Title of this drama is When the Camellias Bloom...so now that spring is over, there needs to be a summer (waiting/parting) before the Camellias bloom in autumn (reunion of the OTP).  Don’t know.  Taking a quick stab at it now that the ending is nigh :lol:

So autumn wedding..... I'm good  with that. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

8 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Just dropping by to say that, for what it's worth, I don't think they got the right Joker.  Hyungsik is the Joker. 

I guess there is also a possibility that HS's dad is Joker v 1.0 and HS is Joker v 2.0 :D  The person who wrote the msg on Camellia's wall 2014 was right handed.  HS is primarily left handed; likely it was his left hand that scratched the lighter under table and his left also held DB's mom's hand in the ambulance.  HM's killer held the knife in the left hand.

Wrap up party

Spoiler

• Like 8
  • Love 2

With regards to the wrap party video there is one person I couldn't identify. At around the 5:50 mark right after the 2 young cops in YS's unit. Is he HS dad? His face is different so am not sure who he is at all. :huh: And yet he seems familiar. My favorite ahjumma seems to be absent and so is YS mom. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, zhangrain said:

Can someone enlighten me does HS Dad's leg injured or not? I can see the wheelchair and the accident in flashback but the scene at police station he walked in on his own ??? No wheelchair ....

To be honest, I also don't know but if I were to guess, he did fall and was injured. However, I think he recovered at some point and was only pretending he couldn't walk? 

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, zhangrain said:

Can someone enlighten me does HS Dad's leg injured or not? I can see the wheelchair and the accident in flashback but the scene at police station he walked in on his own ??? No wheelchair ....

The show hasn't given us any clear answers as of now. Instead more questions waiting to be answered in the final two episodes. It's weird because HS told the police who came to his home that his dad cannot move at all. All I could think of is it has been 6 years since the accident so if HS dad suffered from leg injury, he must have recovered already. 

Tomorrow we'll get most of our questions answered unless the writer decides to wrap up everything halfway through the last episode. Leaving us with a minute and a half for DB, wearing a spectacular, jaw dropping bridal gown, to turn around and smile radiantly at the screen. The end. :tounge_xd:

I hope that would not be the case. :P

• Like 10

1 hour ago, htk9207 said:

Leaving us with a minute and a half for DB, wearing a spectacular, jaw dropping bridal gown, to turn around and smile radiantly at the screen. The end. :tounge_xd:

I hope that would not be the case. :P

We must trust that YS would not allow that!! :glasses: It shall be a festive wedding at Ongsan attended by all the neighbors with Ongvengers in their colorful uniform :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

November 19, 2019

“When The Camellia Blooms” And Gong Hyo Jin Top Buzzworthy Dramas And Actors Rankings

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

“When The Camellia Blooms” And Gong Hyo Jin Top Buzzworthy Dramas And Actors Rankings

On November 19, Good Data Corporation revealed the weekly rankings of the dramas and cast members that generated the most buzz over the past week. The results come from the company’s analysis of news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media for 28 currently airing and upcoming dramas from the week of November 11 to 17.

For the third week in a row, KBS’s “When the Camellia Blooms” topped the buzzworthy dramas list. Compared to last week, its score jumped up by 9.76 percent, encouraged by the new plot developments that occurred during its broadcast. Of the cast members, Gong Hyo Jin topped the list of buzzworthy actors and Kim Kang Hoon and Kang Ha Neul also made the list at No. 5 and No. 6 respectively.

Also for the third week in a row, MBC’s “Extraordinary You” ranked No. 2 on the list of most buzzworthy dramas. Three of its cast members were also included in the buzzworthy actors ranking: Kim Hye Yoon at No. 2, SF9’s Rowoon at No. 3, and Lee Jae Wook at No. 7.

In third place is KBS’s “The Tale of Nokdu,” with both of its lead actors, Jang Dong Yoon and Kim So Hyun, also ranking on the actors list at No. 4 and No. 8 respectively. This is an improvement from last week, when the drama ranked fourth.

Jumping up several places from last week is JTBC’s “Chief of Staff” Season 2, now in fourth place. This is the second season of “Chief of Staff,” a political drama that focuses on the behind-the-scenes dealings of political aides and staff members at the National Assembly. Of its talented cast, Lee Jung Jae ranked at No. 9 on the actors list.

Finally, tvN’s “Catch the Ghost,” which stars Moon Geun Young and Kim Seon Ho in a story about subway police trying to catch a serial killer, also broke in to the Top 5 this week, seeing its score rise by 1.63 percent.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. KBS2 “When the Camellia Blooms” – 24.92 percent
2. MBC “Extraordinary You” – 18.29 percent
3. KBS2 “The Tale of Nokdu” – 11.98 percent
4. JTBC “Chief of Staff” Season 2 – 4.42 percent
5. tvN “Catch the Ghost” – 3.7 percent
6. tvN “Melting Me Softly” – 3.41 percent
7. JTBC “My Country” – 3.23 percent
8. SBS “Vagabond” – 3.18 percent
9. tvN “Miss Lee” – 3.09 percent
10. tvN “Pegasus Market” – 3.02 percent

Spoiler

buzzworthy-dramas.jpg

The top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. Gong Hyo Jin (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
2. Kim Hye Yoon (“Extraordinary You”)
3. SF9’s Rowoon (“Extraordinary You”)
4. Jang Dong Yoon (“The Tale of Nokdu”)
5. Kim Kang Hoon (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
6. Kang Ha Neul (“When the Camellia Blooms”)

7. Lee Jae Wook (“Extraordinary You”)
8. Kim So Hyun (“The Tale of Nokdu”)
9. Lee Jung Jae (“Chief of Staff” Season 2)
10. Ji Chang Wook (“Melting Me Softly”)

Spoiler

buzzworthy-actors.jpg

Source (1)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, htk9207 said:

The show hasn't given us any clear answers as of now. Instead more questions waiting to be answered in the final two episodes. It's weird because HS told the police who came to his home that his dad cannot move at all. All I could think of is it has been 6 years since the accident so if HS dad suffered from leg injury, he must have recovered already. 

YS explained that the reason he suddenly stopped killing then began again was the leg injury. So he must have been seriously injured, then recovered.

He was after DB all this time. She was only not killed because he got hurt.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1