[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

4 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Oooooh really? Yes, I didn't read this in the Netflix subs. Now I'm annoyed. How much of the actual subs are being left out on the Netflix episodes? 20%? Where can I watch with better subs? I only have Netflix now and I rely on it a lot because it's the only way I can watch it dramas legally. 

This is what Adult Pil-Gu says in Korean, and how papago.naver.com translated it:

그렇게 기적같던 엄마의 봄날이 저물었다.

그리고 그 봄날을 먹고 내가 자랐다.

The spring day of my mother, which was so miraculous, is over.

And I grew up eating that spring day.

After he says this, he is talking to his mom on the phone, saying, "Yes, I ate, why do you ask me that every day?" - tying the metaphor together, that DB is always "feeding" him her love.

Netflix translated it as: "And with her love and affection, I grew up."

I do think that it would sound weird if you literally translated the Korean words, so the translators are finessing it.

And I do acknowledge that some things are just hard to translate. Like when Hyang-Mi said her name was "Go-Woon" (pretty) - it's hard to explain in subtitles that she was literally saying that her name was Go-Woon.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 7

20 hours ago, bedifferent said:

We still need explanations for the motives, fires, sawdust in victim's mouth, etc..

The teaser for next week seems to be about DB's mom, but I am still waiting for a more detailed reveal as to why the Joker killed those people. 

20 hours ago, bedifferent said:

The hair samples were taken illegally by Yong Sik without a warrant and consent.  HS has to consent to the DNA swabbing cuz the police really don't have any right or a real case.  He could have said no.  I don't think they can test the hair sample against the DNA under HM's fingernails.  The pathologist even said so. 

After reading your post, I remembered feeling confused while watching the latest episode because I thought the suspect was clad in all black with hardly any skin exposed. So how did HM manage to scratch his wrist?  Did I miss something? With regards to the hair sample, could it be possible for the suspect to walk free since it was taken without consent or warrant? Would it backfire on YS since he took it without consent? And what about the yellow ball HM swallowed?  Is there any significance or underlying message? So many questions waiting to be answered...

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Thing is I think the break up is inevitable, I'm actually surprised that it came this late. It became like that because of DB, she held on to YS as long as she could, for all the odds and variables and DB as the person she was it's nearly impossible for her to even date YS.. but then because YS relentlessly pursue her give her the confidence/love/respect that she needed,DB started standing firm but life was an absolute **** and PG isn't an obstacle for her to overcome, PG is her son, her life.. Yes DB is a woman first before being a mother, but once you became a mother you can never turn your back on motherhood. YS on the other hand got rewarded even before he caught the Joker or risk his life, he was loved back by DB before he succeeded. 

On the other hand I'm not at all disregarding nor discrediting all YS's effort and love. In fact it's really devastating how it seems that everything went down on them breaking up. YS had always been there he brings everything on the table even going on against his mother. I feel frustrated on how the-good-guys-in-drama-land always get the shorter end of the stick..but then again YS should never win against PG as of this moment and he exactly knew that, in his inner thoughts the end of episode 18, well damn I don't even know how he feels right that moment. I would really love if this happens in the last 2 episodes..

Untitled.png

My take on YS's mom, I don't feel disappointed on how her character turned out. For all I know MOTHER would go to any lengths or hell for their child. I don't really like how the neighborhood or YS's mom had this social condemnatory and stereotypes with single moms, but YS's mom is neither right or wrong but one thing I'm sure that it's her duty of a mother to make sure that her child walks on a flowery path.

ONGSAN is probably the unsung heroes of the whole production, the neighborhood feels so alive and someone already said here that it feels like it do exist somewhere.. especially the ONGVENGERS who bring tears and warm to DB, I love how tsundere they were or I'm just a sucker for treating someone with no blood relation like a family like one of theirs.

Pil Gu is just seriously amazing beyond words. I cried buckets for him.. being proud on how he was brought up to how he is, his character screams balance and perfectly written as he may be mature in someways but the drama is not going overboard demolishing that he is still an 8 year old kid. Almost all his lines hit the right feels, may it be with DB, YS, KJR, YS's mom, DB's mom and even his friend Jung Gi. He definitely deserved an award KBS make this happen!!

As for the Joker, mainly because I don't want them to use the remaining episodes. I'd like it to stay as it is.. case closed as HS's father so that the detective skills of YS won't go to waste and just wrapped it up by explaining his purpose by him or through HS or pretty sure the writer won't fall short to this. I hope that it won't be a cliche HS getting revenge on YS. They shouldn't rush wrapping up every relationship that has with all the characters with 2 episodes left, should be enough. Hoping for more cuddly time with Dongbaek and Yongshik!

Edited by ehy
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

19 hours ago, htk9207 said:

As you rightly pointed out she is new to the whole romance thing. And putting your child's interest over a man is not a sin. It never was. That's why I'll just be waiting for the last two episodes to see how it would work out. I am watching Camellia because I really love the story and how some of the characters reminds me of people I know. ^_^ 

The writers wrote her characters very well and made the characters endearing, most especially YS. I both like YS and DB very much. There is something about DB's quiet resilience that made me like her character. Just not a fan of said breakup.:P

I cry very easily which is why I try to stay away from angst filled dramas as much as possible. One drama I watched in the past got so unnecessary frustrating that I was feeling emotionally numb by the time the series ended. 

i agree both DB and YS character is well written....they really understand each other even without telling anything they really does not mean.

that why when DB said " she already know what to said to made this kind hulk give up", its cleary know YS.

I still cannot move on from their break up....:bawling:

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ehy said:

For all I know MOTHER would go to any lengths or hell for their child. 

Sorry but not all mothers are like that. Perfect example is Jessica. She has never carried nor touch the tiny baby, not even for a photo session. She practically ignores the baby and only cares about her title, Mrs. KJR. Sadly, there are people like that in real life. 

@Yongzura, @ehy

I love the ahjumma gang,too. :P 

13 hours ago, chickfactor said:

The spring day of my mother, which was so miraculous, is over.

And I grew up eating that spring day.

Three more days to go to know what that exactly means. The Netflix translation seems much better if you ask me. That one just makes me think of a withered tree. :sweatingbullets:

Am not going to over think it and will just wait and see as to why the sudden time jump to the future. 

@multiloverssss

Same here which is why I didn't rewatch the last episode. It's still too much for me hearing DB cry like a desperately lost kitten and YS, bless his heart, is trying to hold in his tears. 

18 hours ago, lollyminx said:

It's annoying how Jungryeol hasn't figured out yet how to fix his life. :lol:

With all his big talk about DB living so pathetically and that he's not letting his son live like that, one would think that he could at least get one bit right. But no the moment Jessica told him to make it appear that  Pilgu is his nephew and he went with it, I knew he totally blew it. He may have the best intentions for P but I think it's more for his image. Like if word gets around that baseball celebrity KJR's illegitimate son lives in a bar, he would have been mortified.

17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

“My mother’s miraculous spring days ended just like that, and I grew up under those kind of spring days” 

Tbh, I can’t read whether it gives any impression of the absence of YS in their life. 

Yeah, me too. But since the title is When the Camellia Blooms and not My Miraculous Spring Days Ended so I'll just chill. 

P.S. Writernim please don't make the ending similar to Seven Day Queen. Anything but that. 

On 11/16/2019 at 11:13 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

but just look at GT and see how far he's come in understanding why things fell apart in his marriage. This feels more like a man that deserves a second chance.

I really like his story arc. From someone I disliked to now I sympathize with. He deserves a second chance with his ex-wife. 

It's not very often that I found myself liking most of the supporting characters. From the police chief, to the ahjummas, NGT and wife, both YS and DB's moms, and even HM was written with depth and nuance. I feel like wanting to write some more about how much I like these characters but I'm suddenly at a loss for words.:lol: 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

41 minutes ago, htk9207 said:

Sorry but not all mothers are like that. Perfect example is Jessica. She has never carried nor touch the tiny baby, not even for a photo session. She practically ignores the baby and only cares about her title, Mrs. KJR. Sadly, there are people like that in real life.

Agree to that 100% Facts. Which is why they're not entitled to be called Mother, or they refuse to be one. My take on Jessica is exactly as Hyang Mi said on the drama. Parenting is definitely a huge part on how a child might turn into, sucks to say but her parents and herself are to blame, she brought that to herself, if DB who's an orphan not to mention all her unfortunate life experiences somehow still managed to be a lovely person, then why can't she?  but it's not too late for her, I hope she does find the will or calling to change just like HM and NGT. 

• Like 8

@ehy

Yea but I've watched enough dramas to know that the breakup was a sort of impasse? Y'know to generate more..wait for it..drama:rolleyes: Plus I actually think some time apart will be good for both. Dong Baek's way too attached to Pil Gu, so until she gets therapy or grows up or get her act together maybe, just maybe..she can be with Yong Shik. 'Cause right now she frustrates me LoL! Yea I say it 'gain she really doesn't deserve him. :P

I think parenting is like the luck of the draw tbh. There've been decent folks with crappy kids & decent kids with crappy parents. There's just no tellin' how they'd turn out. I mean I've heard from countless complaints how they didn't know whether to be a friendly parent or a strict disciplinarian parent. 

It's heartwarming that the ahjummas are comin' round to accepting Dong Baek as one of their own.. Just wished Yong Shik's mom snap out of it & come round soon as well. 'Cause they were close before & it's a shame to let that all go to petty prejudices. 

OT but I really like Dong Baek's style ha-ha.:lol: It's understated but so relatable. For a supposed country bumpkin, Dong Baek's actually pretty chic. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I respect the writing of this drama enough that I expect things to be properly resolved to our satisfaction. This is really one of the best this year and possibly one of the best offerings from Kdramaland that I've seen. It would be hugely disappointing if the show failed to tie things up nicely for its loyal followers after all this time. 

I don't need a lot of time spent on HS or his dad... just a visit to the interrogation room or his holding cell would suffice. Even a news bulletin. Something to tell me why he thought people should be killed by him. Because just carting him off to the police station and YS saying "who cares why he did it"... didn't do it for me.

I suppose the moral of the day is that change is hard. Which is true. But often it is needed. People need to grow and become better versions of themselves. It's fine that DB wants to be PG's mum first and foremost. She has every right to choose to express her love for him in that way but one day PG will be somebody's spouse and/or dad and the nest will be empty. Perhaps she can't think that far. It can be exhausting have to deal with persistent exs, serial killers, kleptomaniacal employees, disapproving townsfolk, a sensitive son and a wayward mother :D However I will keep banging on this drum... It's not selfish to desire a man in her life because aside from happiness giving her greater courage, PG needs a father too. She knew that too for a while... at the baseball game at least. It would be nice if PG could be a kid a while longer and not to always have to fight his and his mother's battles. I agree with @Latte_Anyday that the breakup serves an emplotment and narrative purpose mainly. They didn't have to break up. But they did so it will be interesting to see how they overcome the final obstacles to their happily-ever-after. 

@htk9207 I too would also like to see GT and JY get back together at some point or at least the hope that they might. Talk about an imbalance in dynamic. But it's not impossible if they are resolved to get back together and start communicating at a deeper level.

• Like 8

2 more episodes to go and I'm already having withdrawal symptoms from this amaaaaazing drama :tears:

These are my wishlists for withdrawal:

- PilGu / DB heartbreaking compilation (oh man, i cried a bucket when PilGu got into his father's car and moved to seoul)

- Yong Sik serious eyes compilation (well it always happen in the police station but he was adorkable when he did the serious eyes when he was trying to sleep beside DB too)

- YS bumpkin tone compilation (the "krrrrrrrk" tone lol)

- mom boss moments (when DB's mom showed up at the police station, she made Chied Byeon make coffee for her)

- can our OTP have their own CF please?

- also more BTS.. especially the breakup scene.. it could be the scene that bags KHN a daesang/top excellence.. really emotional there right after knowing when DB actually fell for YS, and he was trying to hold his tears while DB's crying was so infectious..

I hope the team enjoys their reward vacation they really deserve it! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Yea but I've watched enough dramas to know that the breakup was a sort of impasse? Y'know to generate more..wait for it..drama:rolleyes:

To be honest, I was rolling my eyes when Dongbaek started crying and Yongsik followed suit because it's not supposed to be a sad breakup. It's a good breakup that could have been settled calmly between two adults. It's not like one of them fell out of love or someone cheated, or someone's being toxic, or they realized they're not meant to be, or one of them is leaving for another country, or dying. I mean they're only doing it for the sake of Pilgu, which is good reason for a break-up.

There were no need for tears because they could have just agreed to wait until Pilgu is ready because they're still in love. They could have settled it with, "I need to focus on Pilgu for now. Is it okay if we wait? If we're still in love when Pilgu is ready, can we date again then? Let's stay friends for now." Right? Maybe it's just me, but this is how I see it.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

On 11/15/2019 at 11:42 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

Ahahah so that's what it means:lol: over here, it's known as Buy One Free One so it's BOFO LoL? That or 1+1.:D Although economy's rough so lately it's Buy 3 for Price of 2:P

Heung Shik's case is really sad..:(

I admire his benevolence though. Despite bein' abused by his dad, he chose to take care & protect him. 

It is the same with me.  BOGO for the fact that GT wants the free vote. LOL:lol:

HS's love for his dad is admirable so I don't 100% fault him for not turning the man into the police.  We see a lot of mothers sacrificed much for their children in this drama, HS is one son who did all he could to protect his father.  He is still an accomplice to the murderer and it does bother me that he has not express remorse about the victims.  To his credit, we see that he does have compassion, empathy... to DB's mom (saving her and staying with her in the ambulance).  He also became an outsider to protect Ongsan from his dad... he must have no friend except Yong Sik when he was little.  In this day and age of Gen Z being isolated socially by living online, Yong Sik self imposed this onto himself.  What a sad thing to see that he couldn't even keep loving the stray cats.

HM was one person who interacted with HS in several occasions.  I don't think the Joker killed HM - HS would have not taken it lightly.  Unless he doesn't know yet, so maybe the show has some room here to dive into the aftermath of the Joker's actions next week.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

But honestly, if YS doesn't care about the imbalance, I don't. ;) As long he's getting something out of it that makes him happy, that's for him to decide. Anyway, it's not like they're getting married tomorrow. There's time for them to grow together. Nobody gets it right straight away anyway.

I think you get what has been bothering me hahaha.  YS thinks of DB as his princess.  I like to see him pointing out her deficits in a constructive way.  If he loves her this much, he should for the sake of their relationship.

On 11/16/2019 at 12:24 AM, chickfactor said:

Anyway, PG does belong with DB, I’m glad that was made clear to JR once and for all. I do think, at this particular time, JR's intentions were good. But again, good intentions, bad execution. And he’s just simply not equipped to be a father to PG right now. He can’t even tell people that PG is his son. So, I hope that he just takes the time to get to know PG better and humble himself a bit, too.

The whole sequence opened JR's eyes a little I hope.  He's all determined to take PG away for the kid's own good, based on his own reasoning.  In the car, he witnessed PG's reason for coming to Seoul as a sacrifice for DB, not because through his own reasonings.  JR's driven by the economics of living whereas DB defines family via human relationships.  I am hoping that JR/DB will see that together they can fulfill PG's needs in different and complimentary ways.  

16 hours ago, htk9207 said:

After reading your post, I remembered feeling confused while watching the latest episode because I thought the suspect was clad in all black with hardly any skin exposed. So how did HM manage to scratch his wrist?  

Yeah, suspect always has gloves on LOL.  I don't know, maybe the scratches are from the cat he killed recently.  You know how this drama likes to mislead us :lol:

7 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Plus I actually think some time apart will be good for both. Dong Baek's way too attached to Pil Gu, so until she gets therapy or grows up or get her act together maybe, just maybe..she can be with Yong Shik. 'Cause right now she frustrates me LoL! Yea I say it 'gain she really doesn't deserve him. :P

I think parenting is like the luck of the draw tbh. There've been decent folks with crappy kids & decent kids with crappy parents. There's just no tellin' how they'd turn out. I mean I've heard from countless complaints how they didn't know whether to be a friendly parent or a strict disciplinarian parent. 

I personally think it is not PG that is the real obstacle to the relationship, it's DB who can't shake off the guilt of sharing her love with another man YS.  Deok Soon's words really affect DB, how PG is the burden - what prevented a nice attractive young lady like DB to have a relationship with YS.  She said it over and over again... not a woman with a child.  DB has tolerated her outbursts as long as it is something attributed to her.  When PG begins to doubt her love for him, DB understood it the same way as her younger self did years ago when she was abandoned.  DB's parenting way is to make up for mother's failure so she decided to allow PG to be the center of her universe again.

Parenting is the luck of the DNA coming together. It does take a whole Ongsan village to care for little PG. :D

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 3

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, but that would be out of character, at least for DB, but also for YS since he's been hanging around DB. DB is an emotional sort who feels that she needs to give up the man she loves so that she can be the mother that she wants to be for PG. The tears are for PG who had thought that he was a burden to her and tried to do something about it at his young ate and for herself for being a mother who caused her child to feel that way, as well as having to tell the man she loves that she can't be with him any more.

Plus, YS is the person that DB can cry in front of without holding back.

As for YS, he knows that he can't PG is the most important to DB, and he wouldn't want it any other way since he respects motherhood. He also knows that as things stand that he and DB won't be together for the time being. And, watching DB cry causes his tears to come out as well because of all the emotions that he has and the conflicts that he and DB have weathered up till now, but now have reached an insurmountable wall.

Actually, both DB and YS are written as emotional, instinctive people, so the scene didn't strike me as that odd. It's a bit unusual for a Korean man to be as emotional as YS was, but I thought within his character in this case, watching the woman that he loves so much crying.

i agree about DB and YS is written as emotional.DB is raised as orphan, that why she try very hard to raised PG well but when she said, PG is like her during childhood, its really break her heart.that why she choose to break up with YS even they can date until PG agree. that DB  personality,she worried PG would be affected with her love story....

For YS, he is raised by single mother.when DB said want to be happy as mother not woman, he understand.he can relate with DB situation.

BUT I STILL ROOTING FOR HAPPY ENDING. I WANT TO SEE YS BECAME FATHER TO PG, HE WAS SINCERE SO I THOUGHT HE WOULD LOVE PG WELL.:heart:

• Like 9
  • Love 2

Hello everyone:) Just 2 more days before the finale. Can't hardly wait for what's in store for us viewers. :rolleyes:

I've been looking online hoping for some news about this drama and ended up discovering an article in Drama Milk about the location setting of Camellia Blooms. I don't know if this was already posted here before. There's a link below for the complete article.

I've included a short intro copied from the site. I did asked for permission from V of Drama Milk to share this page here.

After Japanese occupation ended, several of the Japanese buildings where demolished or fell into disrepair which sparked a preservation effort so occupational history would not be forgotten. So in 2011 an entire street in the area was preserved by the Korean government and turned into Guryongpo Modern Culture and History Street. This is the street that the Camellia Bar sits on as well as the street where the market ajummas work.

https://www.dramamilk.com/kdrama-travel-the-camellia-bar-in-when-the-camellia-blooms/

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, bedifferent said:

YS thinks of DB as his princess.  I like to see him pointing out her deficits in a constructive way.  If he loves her this much, he should for the sake of their relationship.

To be fair, Yongsik does point out her flaws constructively and it helped Dongbaek open up to him because he's the first person who accepted her fully, no judgment. I expected she'd change but after the compulsive purchase of a bike for deliveries, she reverted to her previous self, which I get because it's realistic. We don't all suddenly change. Still, there are some parts where Dongbaek gets frustrating like when everyone knows her mom doesn't have dementia and she's still looking for proof like that can't be true. Her cluelessness diminishes her ability to anticipate problems and resolve them immediately like she didn't even anticipate Pilgu would have resentments over her relationship with Yongsik. I do understand that it's because she's worrying about the joker and is grieving over Hyangmi, or that Dongbaek is written that way, but it's frustrating to watch sometimes. 

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, but that would be out of character, at least for DB, but also for YS since he's been hanging around DB. DB is an emotional sort who feels that she needs to give up the man she loves so that she can be the mother that she wants to be for PG. The tears are for PG who had thought that he was a burden to her and tried to do something about it at his young ate and for herself for being a mother who caused her child to feel that way, as well as having to tell the man she loves that she can't be with him any more.

Well if their character is the context, then yes, the break-up scene is believable. Dongbaek has been emotional that way even when she was with Jungryeol and Yongsik is in touch with his emotions too. He even gets emotional when the captain defends him. I just didn't see the point of a break up that's presented to the audience as if there's no chance of them getting back together when they're still in love and they'll still see each other since they're in the same neighborhood. Also, they've been there before. At the mandu shop, they talked like adults about steam vs. fire, which made Yongsik sad, yes, but this kind of arrangement also applies to their current situation. They could have talked it out in the same way they did when they were talking about steam. 

Oh and yes, when you said the tears are for Pilgu, that I get. Dongbaek feels guilty for letting Pilgu go through that while she's dating and prioritizing her needs as a woman. It does seem like a contradiction though because if Dongbaek wanted to protect Pilgu's feelings and not have him walk on eggshells, repressing his feelings, why didn't she make an effort to know how Pilgu would feel about her being in a relationship before she dated Yongsik. 

In the cat and dog video, did Gong Hyojin and Kang Haneul record those sounds lol cute. The dog giving the cat half of the dumplings is so Yongsik :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

For those who didn't see the presscon V-live (like me). Should assure you all that a happy ending we'll get. :lol:

Cast of "When The Camellia Blooms" talk about drama during press conference prior to broadcast

201909171501776577_5d807caa02d4d.jpg

On the afternoon of September 17, KBS held a press conference of its new Wed-Thu drama titled "When The Camellia Blooms" (2TV) at Ramada hotel, Sindorim Ward, Guro District, Seoul. The drama's director PD Cha Young Hoon and the cast including Gong Hyo Jin, Kang Ha Neul, and Kim Ji Seok attended the event and answered interview questions about the work.

"When The Camellia Blooms" is a drama depicting the story of a girl holding prejudice named Dong Baek (played by Gong Hyo Jin) who smashed the world where she imprisons herself and Hwang Yong Sik (played by Kang Ha Neul) - a miracle-like man who lights the fire in that struggle. This work marks the reunion after 3 years since the drama "Baek Hee Has Returned" between screenwriter Im Sang Choon, whose writing ability has been recognized through dramas "Fight for My Way", "Baek Hee Has Returned", and director Cha Young Hoon of "Bridal Mask", "Shark", "Uncontrollably Fond".

PD Cha Young Hoon, who gathered the above brilliant cast in this drama, shared, "This is the story of growing when breaking down prejudices and moving forward of Dong Baek - who is trapped in these prejudices. It is also a melodrama about miracle-like guy Yong Sik, who supports her sincerely and a humane film about their neighbors." Besides, he took pride in his unique drama, "We told each other that it was called '442 drama'. That means the drama has 4 melodrama parts, 4 humane parts, and 2 thriller parts."

Next, Gong Hyo Jin introduced, "Dong Baek used to be a terribly lonely girl. Until one day, she moves to a strange neighborhood and runs into the people who live there and understand life, gradually grows up and turns into a 'beast'." Kang Ha Neul also shared about his character, "'Love is enough' is the words fully portraying character Hwang Yong Sik. This character lives only for Dong Baek and every day of him has her appearance. Yong Sik once searched for Princess Diana in real life but then he experiences happy days after meeting Dong Baek - a girl who is more beautiful than that princess. Kim Ji Seok also introduced his character, "I play the biological father of Dong Baek's son and also her first love, also the "daughter-addict father' and also a 'show window celeb couple'.

Gong Hyo Jin expressed her affection for the work, saying, "I received the offer very long ago but it took quite a while for all parties to adjust schedules for the shooting. I read the script early last year. In fact, the script did not fit my filming schedules so I turned it down. However, its content was so intriguing, making me so curious about subsequent events that I had to exclaim, 'I refused it but could you please show me the next episodes' content?'. This is a very fascinating script that makes me wonder if there are any other interesting dramas awakening others' curiosity like that."

In addition, Kang Ha Neul laughed and shared, "I also chose the drama because I very liked the script. This drama has a rare topic. Because I wanted to meet the director and the scriptwriter of the drama, I came to meet them on a cold day. At that time, I was more certain in my decision. I think the two of them will be able to lead this scenario into a drama that has weight and depth. After trusting and choosing to participate in, my decision has also been strengthened by Hyo Jin's influence."

Kim Ji Seok expressed his wish to go further as an actor, "The script is good, the director is great too. Any actor will want to act with the romantic girl Gong Hyo Jin at the set so I was happy to be filming with her. For me personally, this is the first time I have played a character who has to show paternal love like Kang Jong Ryeol."

Spoiler

Similar to unanimously praising the script, the cast's collaboration is equally great. Gong Hyo Jin said that Kang Ha Neul was a guy with a truly beautiful personality praised by many people as he was very kind and cooperated well with her at the set. Meanwhile, the actress expressed that she felt that Kim Jin Seok was like a real first love when meeting him again after a long time since they co-starred in "Sang Doo! Let's Go to School" - the drama in which the actor played a supporting role.

Kang Ha Neul said, "The chemistry with the two co-stars was very good. It was really great, I don't know how to explain it." He said, "It was indeed tough to explain. First, they are all my seniors so I approached them first and asked 'How do you feel on set, seniors?'. However, the seniors treated and turned me into Yong Sik first so I felt very happy."

In addition, Kim Ji Seok emphasized the "chemistry", "As this is the first work after discharging from the army, Ha Neul has been trying hard. At the filming site, he always smiled. Gong Hyo Jin cared for me and him like her sons. She always takes care of everything including acting and embraces us like a mother. We are in a position to receive 'comforting'.

Director Cha Young Hoon showed strong confidence in the cast. After laughing and saying, ""I'm so happy that I don't even know how to describe it,"" he shared. ""If you look at the actors, maybe you will clearly see the reasons I invited them."" Then, the director said, ""Hyo Jin is Dong Baek of ""When The Camellia Blooms"". Right from the planning stage with the scriptwriter, we built the script based on her. Actually, the works and images that Hyo Jin had shown earlier are mostly blended in this script, so in other words, she's the most appropriate choice, to the extent that even if Hyo Jin acts the way she wants, she will still sound like a real Dong Baek. Hyo Jin is the actress I particularly want to have."" On top of that, he also added about Kang Ha Neul and Kim Ji Seok, ""The reason I chose them is the same. They are so amazing. They are so suitable for their roles that I'm speechless.

201909171501776577_5d807cab7ef33.jpg

The filming schedule has started quickly since the summer and now has moved to the 3rd filming month, which is also what made the actors feel satisfied. Gong Hyo Jin revealed about the favorable production schedule of the film, "There were a large number of scripts from a very early time. The script was written almost to the ending. In fact, the filming needs to be conducted in a hurry, so we usually have to wait when there have not had the next script yet or it will be difficult to catch the upcoming details. However, this time we are filming in a very good condition. The filming is conducting in a drafting way, we can even take a break from filming on days of feeling seriously unwell."

Kang Ha Neul said that at Guryongpo, Pohang, only the filming site for "When The Camellia Blooms" suffered a lot of rain. Despite this, everyone still conducted the production schedule quickly, without affecting the broadcast.

Regarding the smooth collaboration, PD Cha Young Hoon also said, "Despite unfavorable weather, the most interesting thing at the filming site was the actors. There are many witty lines in our script so it felt like 'It is fun to read these words' but it is even more fun to hear someone's voice. Until when learning the script by heart and having done with preparing, the actors still felt normal. However, in fact, it's so funny that they could not stop laughing once they looked at the script and laughed. Although the main culprit was not there, it was actor Oh Jeong Se. The shooting was constantly delayed like that."

Then, Gong Hyo Jin then stimulated the curiosity of the public when emphasizing the importance of supporting actors, "Despite having horror elements in the drama, they only account for 20% and there is a formidable main character taking on that horror part. It is 'kkabuli'. After watching, you guys will immediately know why it is 'kkabuli'. Even the actors also don't know that character and are guessing who that is. The staff completely kept secret from all of us. When filming 'kkabuli', they would secretly record and no one was able to come."

Having gained the trust of actors alongside their harmonious collaboration with the production crew, "When The Camellia Blooms" indeed possesses many things to be proud of. Kim Ji Seok smiled and said, "I say this not because I participated in the film. Objectively, we are creating an interesting drama." Kang Ha Neul asked the audience to watch the drama when revealing, "Our drama is really heartwarming."

Gong Hyo Jin said, ""Currently, aside from these three characters, the drama has many other characters that are extremely interesting and perfect. I cannot introduce all the characters to you so please wait for them in the drama. Maybe when the drama starts, you will want to interview those characters. This is a drama that everyone can watch and feel warmhearted when watching with their parents and family without feeling embarrassed even for just a scene. Everyone will be fascinated by the witty and profound drama from the writer who has pondered a lot to come up with the dialogues. I am sure the audience will be mesmerized if enjoying the drama by getting rid of the prejudice that Dong Baek always suffers. Tomorrow the drama will be aired, I feel more fluttered than worried. I'm supposed to shiver but I felt fluttered. I believe that the energy will be channeled to everyone."

Finally, director Cha Young Hoon shared, "Like Dong Baek (played by Gong Hyo Jin) said, this is a really heartwarming drama. When the drama enters the rating competition, lots of stimulating or intense things will inevitably happen. But I believe that our drama will truly become a work which can offer comfort through little and warm feelings. Dong Baek said that the drama was like 'Yes, it's this taste'." He burst out laughing and then added, "We have been continuing to make a drama which can make you think of your first love, want to call your mom who is in the hometown, or once look at the faces of children who are asleep after watching it. Since the whole film crew did try their best, I hope that you guys will happily enjoy the drama."

OSEN = Reporter Yeon Hwi Sun monamie@osen.co.kr Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive ▶️ https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

https://channels.vlive.tv/C7A6F1/celeb/0.11883119?boardId=1787

Gong Hyo Jin shares reason for returning to small screen with new melodrama

2.png?type=e1920

Spoiler

On the afternoon of September 17, the launching press conference of the new Wed-Thu drama "When The Camellia Blooms" (KBS 2TV) was held at the Ramada Hotel, Sindorim Ward, Guro District, Seoul. The drama's director - PD Cha Young Hoon - and the cast including Gong Hyo Jin, Kang Ha Neul, and Kim Ji Seok participated in this event together.

Since the drama "Jealousy Incarnate" in 2016, Gong Hyo Jin has constantly met with fans through the big screen. With the drama "When The Camellia Blooms" this time, the actress returned to the small screen after 3 years. This is a work that she chose after carefully considering and had to wait a year after confirming to attend. Therefore, she showed her special affection for "When The Camellia Blooms".

Gong Hyo Jin talked about her first impression on the work, saying, "I received this offer a long time ago. I remember it was at the beginning of last year. My shooting schedule was not suitable so I once turned down the offer. However, the script's content was so intriguing, which aroused my intense curiosity about subsequent events to the extent that I had to exclaim, 'I cannot participate in the work but could you please show me the next episodes' content?'. This is a very fascinating script that makes me wonder if there are any other interesting dramas awakening curiosity like that."

Character Dong Baek in the drama reminds people of Gong Hyo Jin. PD Cha Young Hoon explained, "We created the script while thinking about Gong Hyo Jin". Gong Hyo Jin also shared, "I was very worried because Dong Baek is a character who can easily be thought as the continuation of the image I have shown so far." Therefore, she said she was trying carefully to show a more different image.

Gong Hyo Jin straightforwardly shared the reason for concentrating on working with movies for 3 years, "I always feel that this story is the same as that one. Because characters in dramas are the ones who face difficulties but always overcome everything like a tumbler with their meek personality. I felt they were identical and it was hard to choose, so I refused." The actress said that she starred in such movies as "Missing: Lost Woman", "Door Lock", "Single Rider" to meet with new characters and genres. And now, such a Gong Hyo Jin returned with the romantic drama "When The Camellia Blooms". The drama is affected to some extent by "Thank You", the drama that was broadcast in 2007.

"'Thank You' is the most satisfying work I've ever engaged in. I received responses saying that the drama brought comfort to many people regardless of age and gender. I felt so warm when getting such responses. I want to once again feel satisfaction that I had felt before in the drama 'Thank You' while watching 'When The Camellia Blooms'. The film not only has romance elements but also features stories about family and neighbors. Of course, I've been both joining the shooting process and giving lots of thought to every single scene so as to deliver the drama's variation and change."

Incidentally, the two films "Thank You" and "When The Camellia Blossoms" have Gong Hyo Jin in the role of a single mother as a point in common. But the actress stressed that it is not the main focus. She said, "I played the same kind of role back then or now. But the difficulty that a single mother goes through is not the most important factor. For 'Thank You', the focus is on the daughter's pain, while at 'The Camellia Blossoms', my character has a son as a support, which is different from 'Thank You'. The strong boy is just like a friend, as well as a husband. Both characters have no difficulty in raising children despite the husband's absence. I think they have to overcome different hardships although they are all single moms."

When looking at the teaser or character description of "When The Camellia Blooms", the audience cannot erase the impression that the character is somehow "similar" to Gong Hyo Jin's previous film. The actress kept asking people to "watch the drama before commenting". She also did not forget to urge the audience to watch the drama with unprejudiced eyes. The drama will air its first episode at 10 pm on September 18 (KST).

Ilgan Sports = Reporter Lee Ah Young lee.ayoung@jtbc.co.kr

Photo = Reporter Park Se Wan

Everything Idol, Everday Exclusive

https://channels.vlive.tv/EBF267/vtoday/0.11885052

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I think you get what has been bothering me hahaha.  YS thinks of DB as his princess.  I like to see him pointing out her deficits in a constructive way.  If he loves her this much, he should for the sake of their relationship.

I think he does point out her deficits in his way. ;) It doesn't seem to me that he lets her get away with everything.  I have been surprised at the times in which he he has told her off for trying to "manipulate" his emotions (the bed scene for instance) or telling her not to be so wishy washy (about KJR's entreaties for instance). He's not so blindly in love or starstruck that he doesn't chide her for being reckless about her personal safety.

Anyway, I'm sure they will work things out soon enough. (As long as it's not relegated to the last 15 minutes of the finale) I agree that PG isn't the real obstacle or even Ms Kwak. This isn't Joseon Korea. If there's a will, there's a way.

I'm really happy for KHN that his first drama after military service has been a big hit. It must only be a good thing for his career, laying a foundation for good scripts to come his way. :)

• Like 6
  • Love 1

@lollyminx

While you were rolling your eyes, I was laughing hard at their breakup! :lol: The entire thing was ridiculous to me LoL. The moment Dong Baek turned on the waterworks, I was like Again?! :rolleyes: 

Maybe she should sign up for some martial arts lessons y'know? To build up her confidence:P it's gettin' real repetitive when Dong Baek hit a stride & one setback happens, she cowers & retreats into her shell. Remember earlier when the Joker threatened her life & immediately she wanted to pack up & leave Ongsan. <_<

This rarely happens in a western series. They'd work it out by talking to their kids & they make the effort to integrate everyone to adjust to their new situation. Instead we have Pil Gu givin' his mom an ultimatum LoL. 

Dong Baek will turn into Yong Shik's mom in the future as well due to her over attachment to Pil Gu. Probably that's why Mrs. Kwak's so bitter. :P 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2