[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

Why do I think all this is getting a bit too random..? Suddenly Dong Baek is actively targetted? Like why?

And mom....?!

Anyway, just wondering aloud that perhaps... Perhaps Hyang Mi is still alive... And just pulling a vanishing act? To get away from the thugs and the death threats thrown her way every other second? The stray cat perhaps still has lives left... Though I know.. it's stretching it a bit...

• Like 11

Episode 14

Favorite Scenes

• Ms. Kwak's history. It was sad but also satisfying to see that she was bold even then. She deserves the "boss of Ongsan" title. Also, her long history with Dong-baek. 
  • Future governor of Ongsan Hong Ja-yeong enjoying the clean air and sunlight. #freedom This cracked me up. :lol: Also, she's getting the house. Yes.
  • Gyu-tae's reaction when Yong-sik said the stain on the steering wheel looks like blood. :lol: Oh Jung-se is really something else. I'd definitely watch his future projects. 
  • Gyu-tae helping with tracking the phone. 
  • Gyu-tae air pedalling :lol:
  • Yong-sik basically announcing to everyone in Ongsan his plans (that sound like date night plans). I mean he says it in front of the doctor knowing Ongsan is a small town. 
  • Preview: Gyu-tae asking future governor of Ongsan Hong Ja-yeong for help 

Thoughts

• Jung-ryeol doesn't get it, does he? To make the issue go away, you can't resort to violence and threaten press people or pay them off. Just come clean to everyone. Jung-ryeol is covering up his family situation partly because of Dong-baek. I don't know about Dong-baek but if I were in her place, I'd rather Jung-ryeol tell the truth. She can't change the fact that Pil-gu's father is a public figure. It's better to come clean and just get it over with than keep on hiding and face problems like (a) being hounded by the press, (b) being paranoid someone's taking photos or tailing you, (c) being blackmailed by people who know about it, or worse, (d) having false rumors spread which is more difficult to handle once it's out. Also, the issue may go away if he gives the interview but only for a while. It will emerge again in the future. Better handle it now and people will forget eventually. At least the difficult part is over. Pil-gu is smart. He's a good boy. Adults should trust he can handle it. 
  • Dong-baek thinks her mom came because she needs something from her but I don't think so. I think the paper her mom sneakily had Dong-baek sign while she was asleep is a form that states Dong-baek won't donate her kidney when her mom is in critical condition. Or a form allowing Dong-baek to inherit her savings or insurance when her mom dies. It's just because her mom had the form signed when Dong-baek was worrying about money.
  • Jong-ryeol thinks Dong-baek returned to Ongsan because of him but I think that's wrong. She returned because it was where her mom met Ms. Kwak. To be honest, I find it a stretch that suddenly Dong-baek and Yong-sik had a long history, thereby, making them fated for one another like they do in other dramas that push the narrative of "lovers destined to be together since childhood", but I'll let this one slide because it's not that big an issue compared to the quality of this drama.

Big revelation again, this time about the joker, in the first few minutes of Episode 14 and many of you guessed right. :star:

• Like 12
  • Insightful 3

The arsonist is HS's father and HS is aware of his father's action hence he tries to stop his father by locking the doors. However, I have the impression that the arsonist and the joker could be two different persons.

So we know now what Dongbaek's mother did for so many years and why she abandoned her daughter. First, it looks like her husband was abusing her hence she left him with her baby. Secondly, she worked as a maid in a rich family for ten years, until her employer married her. So she has money now. Like @lollyminx, I also think that the mother lied to the doctor and doesn't want her daughter to donate one of her kidneys. In my opinion, she wanted to spend her last moments with Dongbaek and make up for the abandonment.

KJR is so immature. First, he could have lied and claimed that he had scouted KPG... and the latter has lived in Ongsan. What he told the journalists, it was as if he was adding fuel to the fire. With the scandal, he could force Jessica to divorce him and then with the media pressure, he would use it to be recognized as PG's father so that he can claim his son. Sure, he said that he wanted to protect PG, yet his action could have the opposite effect... he can get divorced and tell Dongbaek that he wants them to be together so that he can act as PG's dad. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

WoW what a proposal. Although when he pulled on her hoodie string it should've come right off would it not LoL?! Tugging on one string ain't enough to get her to lean in for a kiss no? K-Drama logic. Dong Baek doesn't deserve Yong Shik...have I said this before can't remember LoL. And just when I thought this drama take a different route on tropes, it went there. So Yong Shik & Dong Baek have a connection from childhood:rolleyes: Is that why Yong Shik's mom was so warm towards her?? Still she's against their union. 

Love that dirty talk segment Yong Shik had with Dong Baek at the hospital:w00t: Oo you naughty boy;) it's thanks to Ha Neul & Hyo Jin's chemistry that the scene came out great:D It seems Dong Baek's mom left an abusive marriage & then left her in the hope she'd have a better future. I'm confused though, is Seong-Hee her daughter or just her employer?:blink: It's back to drawing board where Hyang Mi's concerned but as I said before, it doesn't matter to me. There's so much more going on in this drama that's worth mentioning.

Lawyer Hong & Mr. Noh are a hoot together!:lol: I almost wished they didn't divorce 'cause they're so entertaining to watch LMFAo!!:lol: Still it doesn't change the fact he's dumb (not to mention a man-child) & she's obviously had it with him. Gosh that scene where Jong Ryeol pleaded with the paparazzi to spare Pil Gu just had me... I still don't like Jessica, the fact she could be up for manslaughter against Hyang Mi make her despicable in my eyes. I don't care if she felt unloved in her marriage or that she wanted to keep her perfect image from judgemental netizens.

This drama really has me on a gamut of emotions. It's an emotional roller coaster ride for sure. 

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I just loved YS' proposal to DB in this episode, especially as he says that he's tired and wants to live comfortably so that they should end it. With DB's defeatist attitude, she thought he meant that they should stop seeing each other completely rather than that he's done with flirtation or even dating. He wants to know that they're going to be together every evening, and that he has the right to know what DB is up to and to be with her. I kind of wondered about it when I saw the bit in the preview, because it felt so not like YS to want to stop dating when he's been so consistent in his love and support.

The same. I was expecting a "noble" idiot moment but I was smiling the whole time when I realised what Yong Sik proposed. It was so sweet. I love how he never waver. I like how Dong-Baek did not renounced at Yong Sik, even when his mother put the blame on her because what happened with her son.

Another scene that I like was when Dong Baek and Yong Sik were at the hospital and in front of the doctor he told his fiancee to come at his place.... to wash his hair. :w00t:

I also like how Ja Young is enjoying her free life and No Kyu-Tae is realising what he lost. I like how she put her former mother in law on her place.

I am looking forward to watch the next episodes.

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

How can a drama be this perfect? I love it so so much! :bawling:

These two were meant to be. Dong-baek must have casted a spell on Yong Shik when he was in his mother’s stomach. Aren’t they the cutest couple ever?

I felt really bad for Dong-Baek’s mother. I believe she seeked Dong-Baek because she’s already accepted her death will come soon. Like she’s said this whole time, she wants to do at least one thing for her. I know she abondoned Dong-Baek but I can’t help feeling sorry for her. I also know Dong-Baek will feel guilty once her mother goes missing. 

Hyang-Mi’s brother is horrible! How can he only worry about whether she owes money. Your sister is missing and possibly in danger and that’s all you can think about?! Jfkwhdiebdiehdkhrirbr :rage:

Also, can we say it’s confirmed Heung Sik’s father is the joker?

• Like 9
  • Love 3

Finally watched both eps together. This drama keeps getting better and better. There are spoilers ahead for people who didn't watch the episode.........

So HS father is the arsonist. No wonder his son locks him up everytime he goes out. But the show didn't confirm whether he is the joker or not. Either ways, he is gonna get caught soon due to his carelessness and HM disappearance because the police know now that the CCTVs weren't working during the week of the fire incidents. And guess who installs CCTVs in the area...... Not to mention, all the cat foods except one was found to have a pesticide that was banned in 2012. HS is serving a poisonous cat food while the father is burning down places and possibly a serial killer. What a great combination. The village will be shocked for sure.

DB mom needs a kidney transplant. No wonder she had bruises on her hand. But it looks like she just came to do one thing for DB before she passes away. I have a feeling that those papers she made DB sign is life insurance. It can't be a consent for the transplant or DNR paper because DB is not her daughter legally. But we can't blame DB for thinking the worst and abandoning her the same way she did in the past. But it looks like she is missing in the next episode. I hope she doesn't go and kill the joker for DB. She should just apologize to DB sincerely and be there for her daughter.

YS mom's backstory was heartbreaking but she made it through. No wonder she treasures YS like that and lets him do whatever he wants. YS forgetting his father's death anniversary and his brothers bullying him lol. Their faces was priceless when YS dropped the bomb and said he is dating DB Imao.

YS proposal was so sweet and like him. He is making our expectations high lol:sweatingbullets:. But that talk in the hospital will spread in Ongsan for sure ROFL. DB Imagination running wild lol:mrgreen::joy:. The doctor's face while trying to clean up the wound was priceless lol:mrgreen:.

JY raising her hands and taking a deep breath while the sun is shining lol:mrgreen:. She is hilarious ROFL:joy:. That's one happy lady who got her divorce lol. But that GT mom, really lady, you had to follow your son to the court for his divorce. I'm glad JY put her in her place lol:lol:. If these two ever get back together, I want them dating first instead of signing those marriage papers again.

So everyone wanted to kill HM that night. But whose blood was it that was on GT car wheels? It can't be him since he was drunk. Did HM drove him home that night or was it JY who came to pick him up? Her car was dirty; not to mention, she said she dealt with HM already. Jessica was also there that night but that was clearly attempted murder right of the bat. The police can charge her for almost running HM over If they see the dashcam. Another person would be JR. We don't know where he went after he got rid of the reporters; not to mention, his fist..... It looked like he hit something. Looks like we have a lot of suspects who don't have alibi for that night but we know that HM did ended up delivering the food and got killed there. And speaking of GT, what did he do to ask for the statue of limitation regarding the academy place? Looks like JY is aware of it.

So many questions lol. I hope the writer doesn't rush the ending and wraps up nicely.

PS: Why did they had to do the childhood trope lol? :joy:.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

45 minutes ago, lu09 said:

So many questions lol. I hope the writer doesn't rush the ending and wraps up nicely.

:sweat_smile: I, on the other hand, am afraid the plot will get dragged with the extension from 16 episodes to 20 episodes...Everything is great so far and I hope the writer keep the story warm and tight until the end. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

:sweat_smile: I, on the other hand, am afraid the plot will get dragged with the extension from 16 episodes to 20 episodes...Everything is great so far and I hope the writer keep the story warm and tight until the end. 

Don't worry lol:lol:, they have a lot of loose ends so 6 episodes would be enough. I also hope the drama stays the same till the end:relieved:.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Apparently the show runners didn't think that making Camellias was much of a challenge at this point, so they added another layer of complexity by introducing the Rashomon element to it. :P "Who killed Hyang Mi?" Round up the usual suspects. ;) Even though she's presumably dead... the spectre of who she was and what she got up to is still very much with us. And now I imagine we'll see a whole parade of unreliable witnesses being wheeled out while we're being misdirected as to how HM actually died. It wouldn't surprise me though if nobody actually killed her but one thing after another led to her demise. Sort of like JB Priestley's An Inspector Calls.

Episode 14 was chock full of stuff. A lot of it was depressingly realistic but most of it was about the important parenting choices. I can't imagine the challenges of being a single mother bringing bubs into the world... whatever the circumstances... it's a mammoth task. Thus it's a good thing that we're far more understanding these days about the plight of single mums and their children. Everyone has a different story and it's good to hear what the individual stories are before making judgments about why people get to the place that they do. The script undoubtedly does a good job with that. It's usually between a rock and a hard place that many women have to navigate.

I'm glad we caught a glimpse of why Ms Kwak was so unusually compassionate towards Dong-baek. Whether or not she knows or thinks that this is the same DB she saw while she was preggers with Yong-shik, I can't say. But her own struggles and experience helped her see things beyond the prevailing socio-cultural narrative. Which (in a fascinating way) does make it more compelling as to why she lapses into the old default positions at the first sign of trouble. 

In many instances when we don't understand why things happen to people, it is easy to victim shame. I know that that word gets thrown around a lot these days... sometimes rather inappropriately... but it doesn't  take away from the fact that communities and societies often can't cope with or explain why outliers occur so it's easier and convenient to just blame the downtrodden for their own predicament. Or accredit it to angry supernatural forces meting out punishment or targeting individuals at whim. Often people do reap what they sow but there are also other times when people reap what other people have sown. Life is hard... sometimes it's tragic... inexplicable things happen and we have a propensity to hurt each other. On top of that the ways of supernatural forces are inscrutable. So words like "luck" and "lucky" get bandied around superstitiously. 

One of the things I love about YS is that he lives with dogged clarity and personal honesty. And it seems to me ridiculous that he is mollycoddled to the extent that he is even though he's in his early 30s. Still I understand that to some degree. He is the son that Ms Kwak raised entirely without her husband. She's super sensitive to his life trajectory and to how she was perceived and treated while pregnant with him. Her dynamic with him probably became defined largely by her determination to buck the shaman's pronouncements and the perception of her neighbours. Being the strong-willed woman that she is, she was hugely successful in overcoming prejudice in that quarter. I suppose she wants the best for YS because he was "unlucky not to have grown up with a father". He missed out. No matter how good a mother Ms Kwak has been, she has always felt acutely that YS was "unlucky" not to have grown up with his dad. It wasn't their fault. The choice was taken from them and yet I suspect a lingering guilt remains because Ms Kwak wonders from time to time when she's all alone at night, if it weren't her "unluckiness" that led to YS growing up without his father. Even though the shaman was most likely a charlatan.

According to that logic she doesn't want YS entangled with DB because he doesn't need more "bad luck" in his life attaching himself to a woman whose life is fraught with trouble. Although YS himself doesn't see things in those terms. In his mind, I believe, he sees himself as a free independent agent while acknowledging that some things might be beyond his control. The show itself certainly affirms that. It is the age old, Human will vs Heaven's will issue played out in the small town context. The perennial question since time immemorial.

This begs the question of what being "lucky" or "unlucky" means. Is DB "unlucky" because she almost got burnt to death? But then some might argue that she's the luckiest woman in the world when a decent man proposed to her as a result of it. She survives because someone is watching over her. It seems to me that "luck" is merely shoe-in for the inexplicable workings of life.

I don't really think DB's mother came back to get a kidney from her. I believe she came back to say goodbye and as she says herself says often enough... "to do one thing for her". I really wanted to know what that is but DB... sigh... cut her off. My own wishful thinking is to help her find a good man but the pragmatist in me thinks it's just about leaving behind all her life savings. That would explain a lot of her odd behaviour and admonishments to YS. 

There's hope for NGT yet. When he said he loved JY, I believed him. Underneath all that bravado, is a timid man who is looking for affirmation. If there's anyone he should divorce, it's his mother... who has been IMO instrumental in stunting his growth. Of course that's not possible ;)  but it's clear that her meddling and coddling of him had a part to play in the deterioration of his marriage and more importantly his lack of resilience. In a real enough way, becoming a murder suspect in HM's death will be his redemption and baptism of fire if he can find his way out of it. He's become less a caricature and more human as the consequences of his choices strip him bare of the things that he value.

I'm less sure about KJR although becoming tabloid fodder could do the trick. The ensuing humiliation and exposure might finally make him see the light, putting things in perspective. If he really cares about his son, he should actually think about what is best for Pil-gu.

The best thing about this drama is that the people in it aren't caricatures. They are all too human and I think the script is doing a stellar job fleshing them and giving them dimensions. For those who get their second chance, let's hope they don't waste it.

• Like 12
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 4

On 10/31/2019 at 9:32 AM, chickfactor said:

For anyone who needs to heal from the psychic wounds of JR's jerk behavior, I highly recommend "I Need Romance 2," where the actor plays the Nicest Boyfriend Ever (that he is actually a doormat).

Sorry , I am so off topic here but for me his best character was Children of The 20th Century where he was truly a nice guy that was not a door mat :lol:. Am a  big  KJS fan  , but his character Jang Ryeol behaves like a 1st class jerk . I find it hard to watch him here .  Lol! 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Apparently the show runners didn't think that making Camellias was much of a challenge at this point, so they added another layer of complexity by introducing the Rashomon element to it. :P "Who killed Hyang Mi?" Round up the usual suspects. ;) Even though she's presumably dead... the spectre of who she was and what she got up to is still very much with us. And now I imagine we'll see a whole parade of unreliable witnesses being wheeled out while we're being misdirected as to how HM actually died. It wouldn't surprise me though if nobody actually killed her but one thing after another led to her demise. Sort of like JB Priestley's An Inspector Calls.

Episode 14 was chock full of stuff. A lot of it was depressingly realistic but most of it was about the important parenting choices. I can't imagine the challenges of being a single mother bringing bubs into the world... whatever the circumstances... it's a mammoth task. Thus it's a good thing that we're far more understanding these days about the plight of single mums and their children. Everyone has a different story and it's good to hear what the individual stories are before making judgments about why people get to the place that they do. The script undoubtedly does a good job with that. It's usually between a rock and a hard place that many women have to navigate.

I'm glad we caught a glimpse of why Ms Kwak was so unusually compassionate towards Dong-baek. Whether or not she knows or thinks that this is the same DB she saw while she was preggers with Yong-shik, I can't say. But her own struggles and experience helped her see things beyond the prevailing socio-cultural narrative. Which (in a fascinating way) does make it more compelling as to why she lapses into the old default positions at the first sign of trouble. 

In many instances when we don't understand why things happen to people, it is easy to victim shame. I know that that word gets thrown around a lot these days... sometimes rather inappropriately... but it doesn't  take away from the fact that communities and societies often can't cope with or explain why outliers occur so it's easier and convenient to just blame the downtrodden for their own predicament. Or accredit it to angry supernatural forces meting out punishment or targeting individuals at whim. Often people do reap what they sow but there are also other times when people reap what other people have sown. Life is hard... sometimes it's tragic... inexplicable things happen and we have a propensity to hurt each other. On top of that the ways of supernatural forces are inscrutable. So words like "luck" and "lucky" get bandied around superstitiously. 

One of the things I love about YS is that he lives with dogged clarity and personal honesty. And it seems to me ridiculous that he is mollycoddled to the extent that he is even though he's in his early 30s. Still I understand that to some degree. He is the son that Ms Kwak raised entirely without her husband. She's super sensitive to his life trajectory and to how she was perceived and treated while pregnant with him. Her dynamic with him probably became defined largely by her determination to buck the shaman's pronouncements and the perception of her neighbours. Being the strong-willed woman that she is, she was hugely successful in overcoming prejudice in that quarter. I suppose she wants the best for YS because he was "unlucky not to have grown up with a father". He missed out. No matter how good a mother Ms Kwak has been, she has always felt acutely that YS was "unlucky" not to have grown up with his dad. It wasn't their fault. The choice was taken from them and yet I suspect a lingering guilt remains because Ms Kwak wonders from time to time when she's all alone at night, if it weren't her "unluckiness" that led to YS growing up without his father. Even though the shaman was most likely a charlatan.

According to that logic she doesn't want YS entangled with DB because he doesn't need more "bad luck" in his life attaching himself to a woman whose life is fraught with trouble. Although YS himself doesn't see things in those terms. In his mind, I believe, he sees himself as a free independent agent while acknowledging that some things might be beyond his control. The show itself certainly affirms that. It is the age old, Human will vs Heaven's will issue played out in the small town context. The perennial question since time immemorial.

This begs the question of what being "lucky" or "unlucky" means. Is DB "unlucky" because she almost got burnt to death? But then some might argue that she's the luckiest woman in the world when a decent man proposed to her as a result of it. She survives because someone is watching over her. It seems to me that "luck" is merely shoe-in for the inexplicable workings of life.

I don't really think DB's mother came back to get a kidney from her. I believe she came back to say goodbye and as she says herself says often enough... "to do one thing for her". I really wanted to know what that is but DB... sigh... cut her off. My own wishful thinking is to help her find a good man but the pragmatist in me thinks it's just about leaving behind all her life savings. That would explain a lot of her odd behaviour and admonishments to YS. 

There's hope for NGT yet. When he said he loved JY, I believed him. Underneath all that bravado, is a timid man who is looking for affirmation. If there's anyone he should divorce, it's his mother... who has been IMO instrumental in stunting his growth. Of course that's not possible ;)  but it's clear that her meddling and coddling of him had a part to play in the deterioration of his marriage and more importantly his lack of resilience. In a real enough way, becoming a murder suspect in HM's death will be his redemption and baptism of fire if he can find his way out of it. He's become less a caricature and more human as the consequences of his choices strip him bare of the things that he value.

I'm less sure about KJR although becoming tabloid fodder could do the trick. The ensuing humiliation and exposure might finally make him see the light, putting things in perspective. If he really cares about his son, he should actually think about what is best for Pil-gu.

The best thing about this drama is that the people in it aren't caricatures. They are all too human and I think the script is doing a stellar job fleshing them and giving them dimensions. For those who get their second chance, let's hope they don't waste it.

the writer is really good at making story about average lifestyle but still realistic...actually what happen to DB is really happen in society about the view or orphan and single mothers.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Woohooo... haven’t watched this week’s show. Good for them! New high. This little drama may break the elusive 20%

Ratings 

Episode 27/28: 15%/18.4%

So happy for the cast and crew! They deserve it! 20% here we come! 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, lu09 said:

HS is serving a poisonous cat food while the father is burning down places and possibly a serial killer.

And what if joker is a different person? :lol:

4 hours ago, lu09 said:

PS: Why did they had to do the childhood trope lol? :joy:.

I also don't like it and in other dramas, I would have rolled my eyes but I didn't because this drama is just so good, it's forgivable, easy to brush off. :D

• Official Statement from Kang Jong-ryeol

"In light of rumors circulating and the possibility of false information being released to the public about my family life, I am breaking my silence. As it is a personal matter separate from my career, I would have wanted to deal with it in private. However, to avoid false rumors from spreading, I prefer that you learn the truth from me. 

Yes, I have fathered a child with a former girlfriend. I didn't know about it until x months ago. At present time, the child's mother and I are trying our best to find an amicable solution so we can co-parent our child. My son and his mother have already been through enough and I wish that you respect their privacy. I will take legal action against individuals who will spread false rumors or harass my son and his mother. 

My current wife knows about it and any issue between us is a different matter altogether."

And prior to the press statement, Jong-ryeol should request private time with Dong-baek and Pil-gu during which they can sort things out, come to a clean agreement, and reassure Pil-gu that he can continue living his life normally as Jong-ryeol will protect his and Dong-baek's privacy, and that whatever people say, he is loved by both his parents plus 1 second parent in Yong-sik and that he has their support always. 

... is how I wish Jong-ryeol would have resolved the matter but we're dealing with a hot-headed person so.

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 4