[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

DontEatMyKimchi

I've been wanting NiNi as Mulan since I first saw TROP. she really is incredible. and I love that she isn't afraid to be 'ugly' or look like an actual man and has no makeup on. its refreshing to watch. plus when she doll up, she's really gorgeous so she would have been a perfect Mulan in terms of looks. and in terms of acting, shes above and beyond Crystal....and then there's her English too, it has improved so dang much. she sound so natural speaking it. Disney missed out on a talent tbh

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem with NiNi's look is that she isn't the typical delicate looking kind of women that is popular in the Asian community. She's the kind of Asian that western audiences like more. 

She got really seductive eyes going on when she stares at the camera lol. 

2 hours ago, blueclueblue said:

Ni Ni would make a perfect MuLan too, Crystal Liu is not a good choice in every aspects. She's just look pretty.  

CL has this demure thing while NN has a strong vavavoom presence. While they’re both beautiful in their own way the big difference lies on their acting ability and it’s a pity Disney didn’t look and search well. 

2 minutes ago, Cammy said:

and then there's her English too, it has improved so dang much. she sound so natural speaking it. Disney missed out on a talent tbh

I think Disney focused too much on CL’s english proficiency because her acting is just right, nothing special. It’s sad because there are better actresses out there. Oh well. 

On 9/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Rustificatedid said:

Agree! One of LX’s biggest strength is - when bad things happen, she doesn’t blame anyone or get angry and hold grudges. For example when her dad Le Bo (in ep 21)... she doesn’t want revenge against YT. She laments why and she feels sad, but she doesn’t let anger control her. As Amo, she also has the same characteristic/core strength, that’s why she can overcome the 1st trial. If she had held on to anger and hatred, she would have been turned into a demon - easily controlled by the demon lord. I think that’s one of the traits that JC love most about her - her kindness and her mental clarity. 

Speaking of which, she’s one of the first few Female leads in an Asian drama that doesn’t blame herself when things go south. “Oh it’s me, if I didn’t do this, then that will happen” is very common and annoying. For example, when old madam Yuan killed herself, she felt sad about it, but she told JC - yes I know it’s not my fault, it’s just really sad things ended this way 

I have to admit, I am still learning to Not Think like that anymore. So I really appreciate having a strong confident lead. Although she may not be powerful and can kick richard simmons, she is mentally tough and emotionally warm and loving. The more times I rewatch this show, the more I see why JC falls for her. 

I really like your comment. There are several things that been bothering me and your comment really helped me in term of solidifying my theories. 

First, eps 15 when he locked her up. I didn't understand why he didn't kill her outright, but now I understand its his final test for her. He put her under duress to see if the demon aura will come out of her. Lingxi isn't dumb, she knows something was wrong but she keeps on trying to find excuses for him. The fact that she doesn't have hate in her heart plus her complete trust in him keeps her sane. So at the risk of her life, she still doesn't let hate and anger control. We will see it in the second arc again when she chooses to forgive rather than to hold on to grudges. 

Spoiler

Her demon aura only comes out when people she cares about are being hurt. The first time is when the Heaven devouring beasts were killed. And the 2nd time is when the Celestial court created an illusion that her dad and her brother were killed. 

That answers my other concern of *is she a strong female charater*. And I think I can firmly say "yes" now because, having the mental clarity to see the situation and choosing to forgive is an incredibly strong thing to do. People are complaining that Lingxi character is always a damsel in distress, that they are disappointed that she just doesn't become an @ss-kicking warriors and stomp her way through heaven. But in real life, we can't all be @ss-kicking warrior. Her being a victim of a situation outside of her control does not make her weak. She is a strong character because of her mental fortitude, her clarity, her compassion. Her strength came from within not from kicking butts. And that is something we would see in real life, women overcoming incredible amount of hardships in their lives and still do not fall into pieces, still have hope and love in their hearts, still live their life fully. They are strong and Lingxi is strong. 

@Rustificatedid  @Positively prickly cactus

I really like both your comments! it highlights all the aspect of LX that I dearly love as well. 

I think we are so quick to look for leads that solve issues with words/strength, people tend to over look their overall reaction and how they deal with things. 

She has faced so many trials and is hurt by almost everyone yet she never once blame others or herself, only on her own luck. No matter how much she get put down, she get back up. shes confident in herself and her love and him. 

the admirable thing about LX is that she is about to thrive in any situation, the ability to pick herself back up and learn. she isn't perfect, she admit her flaws. and thats something we don't see a lot.

I especially love when JX gave her a medical book and she talked about how all her life, she had never tried hard at anything because everyone pampered her, so she was careless and carefree, never improving, but having gone through hardship and seeing how capable she actually is, she want to improve herself and learn because she didn't want to be lacking anymore. 

And instead of seeing this as growth, JX want to instead coddle her while JC want her to improve. (thats one of the many reason why she never look at JX the way she look at JC) 

people keep saying how simple LX is, but shes actually a very complex character, just that we dont look to see what is under the surface. 

@Cammy @Rustificatedid @Positively prickly cactus  You’ve pointed all the things I love about LX and have nothing more to add.  LX reminds me of the female lead in the only other drama I’ve ever commented on a forum.  It’s an underrated (in my opinion) Taiwanese drama from 2017.  People on Viki commented that the female lead is stupid, soft, etc.  I guess I like female characters who are actually mentally tough, rather than just acting tough.

It also bothered me a lot why JC tried to freeze LX.  At first, I also thought he was testing her.  But that didn’t make total sense to me either.  LX was in that chamber a long time.  They got there at night and then we were shown that day light was shining on her and JC.  So she was in there until the next day.  By the time JC went to save her, she was already frozen.  Our last glimpse of her before that (right after day light), she was starting to loose consciousness but still looked normal.  So JC seemed to have left her there longer than what a test would have required.  I also didn’t understand why he needed to test her again.  It seemed that he already guessed who she was a while back, and was certain when she was able to appear in front of the demon lord’s sealing place.  So another test seemed unnecessary.  I think he did mean to kill her, but knowingly or unknowingly, couldn’t do it with his own hands and was delaying the end.  Maybe he rationalized in his head somehow that this was a kinder way to do it.  If it were a test, it was for the same reason (he was very conflicted so was asking an excuse to delay killing her).  Perhaps this whole thing didn’t make sense because JC was conflicted.

@fivebowls I agrees with you. I don’t think it’s a test at all either. He really did determine to kill her. When he found out about the demon king. Then LX able to withstand the demon aura has give him a confirm reason to kill. Just the whole night he keep thinking of how LX treated him and how innocent she is that makes him stop. But what really made him give up the thought to kill her is when she return the longevity knot. He was able to recall his last moment. And it was LX that save him from turning into a demon. He had dark aura around him after that battle but it was baby LX who pulling him back to himself. Since he couldn’t project her then he feel like he should now and it’s his responsibility to protect her. 

6 hours ago, fivebowls said:

@Cammy @Rustificatedid @Positively prickly cactus  

It also bothered me a lot why JC tried to freeze LX.  At first, I also thought he was testing her.  But that didn’t make total sense to me either.  LX was in that chamber a long time.  They got there at night and then we were shown that day light was shining on her and JC.  So she was in there until the next day.  By the time JC went to save her, she was already frozen.  Our last glimpse of her before that (right after day light), she was starting to loose consciousness but still looked normal.  So JC seemed to have left her there longer than what a test would have required.  I also didn’t understand why he needed to test her again.  It seemed that he already guessed who she was a while back, and was certain when she was able to appear in front of the demon lord’s sealing place.  So another test seemed unnecessary.  I think he did mean to kill her, but knowingly or unknowingly, couldn’t do it with his own hands and was delaying the end.  Maybe he rationalized in his head somehow that this was a kinder way to do it.  If it were a test, it was for the same reason (he was very conflicted so was asking an excuse to delay killing her).  Perhaps this whole thing didn’t make sense because JC was conflicted.

6 hours ago, Winterfairy said:

@fivebowls I agrees with you. I don’t think it’s a test at all either. He really did determine to kill her. When he found out about the demon king. Then LX able to withstand the demon aura has give him a confirm reason to kill. Just the whole night he keep thinking of how LX treated him and how innocent she is that makes him stop. But what really made him give up the thought to kill her is when she return the longevity knot. He was able to recall his last moment. And it was LX that save him from turning into a demon. He had dark aura around him after that battle but it was baby LX who pulling him back to himself. Since he couldn’t project her then he feel like he should now and it’s his responsibility to protect her. 

I also feel that it is Not a test. And Winterfairy, you just read my thoughts.  I was thinking along the same lines as you!

Just finished this drama. So much emotion inside me right now. I don’t even know what to do for the rest of the day. Such a ride!!!

so my theory on how JC get out is probably the emperor or his shifu’s help with the previous GoW. It did mention that the previous GoW was trap in there and he and the emperor was the one that seal the previous demon king. I assume that GoW is still alive the Emperor or his shifu probably went down there open the gate and help JC get out. Of course previous GoW stay to guard the door and they reseal the door again. 

That could be a possibility. Another one is JC hack his way out, left the open for Thunder to clean up since he’s the new GoW lol

Enjoyable show. More so at the beginning than at the end. I was hoping it would close with War’s death. To me, that would have made for a stronger ending.

Many of these gods seem rather spoiled, willful. Even War at times. 

His swoon factor though. By a country mile superior to everyone else.

I wish they would have cut down a bit on the comic relief.

2 hours ago, Winterfairy said:

Just finished this drama. So much emotion inside me right now. I don’t even know what to do for the rest of the day. Such a ride!!!

so my theory on how JC get out is probably the emperor or his shifu’s help with the previous GoW. It did mention that the previous GoW was trap in there and he and the emperor was the one that seal the previous demon king. I assume that GoW is still alive the Emperor or his shifu probably went down there open the gate and help JC get out. Of course previous GoW stay to guard the door and they reseal the door again. 

That could be a possibility. Another one is JC hack his way out, left the open for Thunder to clean up since he’s the new GoW lol

To add more to this.  Zhong Hao mentioned in some episode that another red moon will happen and the demon door can easily be open in 3 wan years (I don't know how many zero I have to add after the 3).  That's why it took 3 wan years for JC to come back.  From my understanding, the previous GOW is JC's shifu.  

1 minute ago, blueclueblue said:

To add more to this.  Zhong Hao mentioned in some episode that 3 wan years later (I don't know how many zero I have to add after the 3), another red moon will happen and the demon door can easily be open.  From my understanding, the previous GOW is JC's shifu.  

Four zeros.

14 hours ago, zijinini said:

Viki's translation is good. There are only some minor errors. It's more accurate than PCCD's. 

Girls I think you all need to rewatch the series on Viki again because the translation is different.

Did they change Seniority Deity or something to High God?   Oh my god I cringe at Seniority Deity....

47 minutes ago, blueclueblue said:

To add more to this.  Zhong Hao mentioned in some episode that another red moon will happen and the demon door can easily be open in 3 wan years (I don't know how many zero I have to add after the 3).  That's why it took 3 wan years for JC to come back.  From my understanding, the previous GOW is JC's shifu.  

I remember that it say 300. 

I remember YT say the the previous GoW (#3) was trap inside the demon gate because one have to be inside and another outside and that person outside was heavenly emperor. If JC’s shifu was GoW he’s probably number 2.

@blueclueblue I feel the same way about  viki translation. They are good, except for the title they are too literal with it. Sometime leave the Mandarin pronunciation is better than translate it. 

@impoppies the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but I rather that take than have him die lol. JC went through too much to have him die. He didn’t even get to married the girl he love. JC decision reminded me of Tony Stark. Now if JC had married LX and live happily for a few years then go off to die like Tony did. Then yes, I can live with that. However, since he never once got what he wanted, this ending is perfect for him. lol I’m biased when I’d come to JC. :sweat_smile:

Archived