[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

DontEatMyKimchi

At least that pompous God of Thunder who covet Jiu Chen's position wanted it fair and square as he did not take advantage of Jiu Chen's dilemma because it is not the way he wanted to beat Jiu Chen for it.

Yun Tong is beyond redemption. Even Jiu Chen ask her whether she really felt any remorse when she pleaded for his forgiveness. He did not believe her false act either.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished ep 10 with sporadic subs...If Yuan clan is not decimated same way as the one in the previous episode , i will question the God of Wars and the Highest Gods suitability to answer to all the realms equally....and and 

he did not show one ounce of shock , surprise or concern that Lingxi's poor feathers got plucked by the vortex ...i know that he bent down and started sending healing energies when the young medical goddess told him who she has , but as a "God" he should have known immediately and kind of rushed a bit more eagerly  :blink:  Ha,  i hope he really falls in love with her and next time runs more diligently or is he still 'frozen' through and through. 

1 hour ago, jadore1 said:

Finished ep 10 with sporadic subs...If Yuan clan is not decimated same way as the one in the previous episode , i will question the God of Wars and the Highest Gods suitability to answer to all the realms equally....and and 

he did not show one ounce of shock , surprise or concern that Lingxi's poor feathers got plucked by the vortex ...i know that he bent down and started sending healing energies when the young medical goddess told him who she has , but as a "God" he should have known immediately and kind of rushed a bit more eagerly  :blink:  Ha,  i hope he really falls in love with her and next time runs more diligently or is he still 'frozen' through and through. 

I happen to disagree. Although JC's reaction seemed subtle in that scene, you could tell by his facial expression that he was affected and was distressed that she was in such a state. His personality is not one to have a loud reaction in such a situation, especially not in front of the size of an audience they had. The subtlety is inherent to his character. And subtle is the way in which he will continue to show his love for her for the duration of arc 1. It is all there, but you have to look for it. Once you get used to detecting it though, you will really get a sense for how strong his affections are and how they increase over time. If you don't catch the subtlety, it will seem like his affections popped up overnight at some point, which some viewers have said. But I don't think that's the case. I really liked the way they handled his slow build and not obvious display of affections. It is realistic to me of how someone with the stoic and self-contained personality that JC has would fall in love and express himself. And to answer your question, yes, he does fall in love. The way they interact will change over time. With arc 2, there is certainly more "eagerness" to him I would say, lol.

@Alice_in_a_rabbithole   definitely we do not wish for him to be like his junior running after the physician...and based on his caring of her after and giving her his last pill certainly shows that there is caring...i guess i wanted to see just a bit more of it  :)  and since JC is being portrayed like that i will wait for that recognized emotion  to emerge more visibly for me to see LOL 

also just watched ep 11.... too many mortal traits in these gods...agreed with god of thunder here regarding the yuan clan , and as i mentioned above , if they are portraying the unjust mortal traits/ choices, then they are not gods but blown up immortal trolls. 

@jadore1 Yeah, him giving her the pill was a lovely gesture, but it was mostly the way he tended to her injuries that did it for me. He could have easily left that job for 13th or her sister to do, that would have been perfectly normal, but he personally took care of her himself all the way down to wiping her hands for her. And later on, when he took her to Yuan Tong to "get justice", there was no need for him to fulfill those petty punishment requests that LX had spouted off, but he did it. He has a terribly hard time saying no to her. If you pay attention, anything LX wants, LX gets. JC may be a grump but he ALWAYS gives in to her. 

On 8/1/2019 at 9:21 AM, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

@jadore1 Yeah, him giving her the pill was a lovely gesture, but it was mostly the way he tended to her injuries that did it for me. He could have easily left that job for 13th or her sister to do, that would have been perfectly normal, but he personally took care of her himself all the way down to wiping her hands for her. And later on, when he took her to Yuan Tong to "get justice", there was no need for him to fulfill those petty punishment requests that LX had spouted off, but he did it. He has a terribly hard time saying no to her. If you pay attention, anything LX wants, LX gets. JC may be a grump but he ALWAYS gives in to her. 

Absolutely agree on your view on JC. Love the way Chang Chen portraying JC. Subtle yet feeling it so much. :wub:

So funny when an 'senior' god taking on the childish punishment recommendation from LX. Somehow it didnt sound that childish when coming out from JC lol. Cute couple :D

On 7/31/2019 at 7:57 PM, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

I happen to disagree. Although JC's reaction seemed subtle in that scene, you could tell by his facial expression that he was affected and was distressed that she was in such a state. His personality is not one to have a loud reaction in such a situation, especially not in front of the size of an audience they had. The subtlety is inherent to his character. And subtle is the way in which he will continue to show his love for her for the duration of arc 1. It is all there, but you have to look for it. Once you get used to detecting it though, you will really get a sense for how strong his affections are and how they increase over time. If you don't catch the subtlety, it will seem like his affections popped up overnight at some point, which some viewers have said. But I don't think that's the case. I really liked the way they handled his slow build and not obvious display of affections. It is realistic to me of how someone with the stoic and self-contained personality that JC has would fall in love and express himself. And to answer your question, yes, he does fall in love. The way they interact will change over time. With arc 2, there is certainly more "eagerness" to him I would say, lol.

I agree - you can tell how upset he is, and you learn that especially in 33?/34? where he tells Yuan Tong he wasn't waiting for her - he was resisting the urge to throw her in the Immortal Cleansing pool himself. His personality is all about self-control to the n-th degree, which is why Yun Feng says he always felt like Jiu Chen had a very tiring life.

Ep 17

Spoiler

Ling Xi wanders through a cave in Kunlun and stumbles on the Tuntian beast soaking in the pool that will ultimately dissolve him. In the mean time, Jiu Chen is at the banquet, where Yu Li, Qing Yao, Ling Yue, and the old man who picked up Wuwan are also present. Wuwan jumps in Jiu Chen's lap. Wangmu asks for Wuwan as a gift and Jiu Chen says of course not, since it's not his, she would have to ask Ling Xi. It richard simmons Wangmu off.

The banquet is in anticipation of the Tuntian beast finally dissolving after soaking in the Life Dissolving pool for 49 days. She's going to give the beast's bones and blood to Yu Li and Qing Yao for use as ingredients for rare medicinal pills. She invited them all to witness the event and to share the pills, with the immortal peaches as a side bonus.

Ling Xi tries to turn the beast loose but Zhong Hao and company show up, wanting to use its bones and blood to restore the demon sword. She runs out to stop them, and the demon lord's old steed flips her onto his back when they attack her, breaking loose of the chains. He pops up at the banquet and flies off with Ling Xi on his back.

Kunlun's guards report to Wangmu that the guards in the back mountain are all dead, and they declare that the demon girl must have done it. Wangmu turns around to address Jiu Chen but he has already disappeared. When Yu Li is about to tell her who the girl is, Qing Yao puts her to sleep. Wangmu is pissed and orders them to be found.

The beast puts Ling Xi down and lays gasping. Zhong Hao arrives and explains why the beast is about to die. He comments that Tuntian is born from chaos and is neither good nor evil. The demon lord tamed it and made it his steed, so it only obeys/recognize the demon lord. After this handy explanation, he attempts to kill her but at the last moment, Tuntian puts himself between her and the demon sword and takes the blow. When Zhong Hao pulls out the blade, the beast dissolves, and the sword has a new glow.

Ling Xi gets pissed off and her stone pendant triggers Le Bo's stone. Ling Xi's weapon sweeps around her and beats Zhong Hao back. She falls to her knees in a daze and starts emanating demonic essence. Jiu Chen arrives just in time, knocks Zhong Hao back and tries to suppress her dark energy. Just as Ling Xi gains her senses, Zhong Hao manages to strike Jiu Chen a blow on his back. Jiu Chen manages to chase him away.

Meanwhile, Le Bo screams at Shisan to bring Ling Xi out but they have no clue where she is. Jiu Chen rushes to his ice mansion with Ling Xi and channels more energy into her. We see that he has a pretty bad wound on the back of his shoulder.

Ling Xi remains unconscious as Jiu Chen looks down at her pendant, laying on a cloth in his hand. When she wakes, she finds him meditating and runs to hug him, but is horrified when she finds blood on his back. She tries to heal him with her energy but it looks worse. He tells her it can't be helped, as it is a wound made by the demon sword. She wants to avenge him but she taps her forehead and calls her silly.

She's miserable that the Tuntian beast died to save her, and that Jiu Chen got hurt saving her too. Jiu Chen tells her the beast didn't die because of her, and that it was going to die anyway. Ling Xi says that it was good to her, but Jiu Chen tells her that before her, it killed countless women like her. She realizes that she's in major trouble. Jiu Chen asks if she wants to go back to the Peach Forest, or stay there at the ice mansion where there is nothing and no one but him. She doesn't hesitate and chooses to stay, saying she's not going to leave. "Even if you say you don't like me, I'm going to be thick-skinned and refuse to leave. Even if you chase me away I'm not going." She shakes his leg for a response before he smiles and says he won't chase her away, and actually puts his arm around her. (OMG)

Qing Yao ties Cheng Yan to a tree again. She asks Le Bo to tell her what's going on, but he avoids the question and asks how Ling Xi is. Qing Yao tells him what happened and thinks that Jiu Chen hid her away, saying that Jiu Chen seems to treat her differently. Le Bo relents and tells her that his younger brother disciple Mo Huan fell in love with a girl from the Shan Ling tribe. One day, he got a letter from Mo Huan asking for Le Bo to meet him at You Dou Mountain to meet him, saying he was detained. When he rushed to the mountain, he didn't see his brother but found a baby that had been left right where the final battle had been fought.

A flashback shows him appearing, looking around and seeing Jiu Chen sitting over a baby. When he checks Jiu Chen, there is no sign of life, and he picks up the baby. He explains that when the demon lord attempted to inject his soul into the baby, Jiu Chen had injected the last of his power into the baby to save it. Ling Xi contains the demon lord's last hope, and is the reason why Jiu Chen was able to wake. It's also possible that her appearance may lead to the demon lord's re-emergence.

Qing Yao is afraid she is in danger from Jiu Chen, but Le Bo tells her he already knows, and will not harm her.

Meanwhile, Yu Li is tattling to the heavenly monarch, reporting that Ling Xi is the one who stole into Kunlun mountain and let the beast loose. Yun Feng tries to argue that Ling Xi has too little ability and is unlikely to be involved with the demon tribes and Tian Lei disagrees and says he wouldn't be surprised if she had fallen to the demonic side. Yun Feng is about to go look for her when Jiu Chen shows up and reports that the demonic sword has reappeared, demonic tribes are on the move, and that preparations need to be made.

Back at Jiu Chen's heavenly palace, Yun Feng tells him he knows Jiu Chen is trying to turn attention away from Ling Xi, and asks if there really is a connection between Ling Xi and the demon lord. 

Yun Feng: I know she's really great, but we are gods who have the responsibility of protecting the six realms__

Jiu Chen: We?

Yun Feng: You. You, alright? Don't use this opportunity to lecture me know, brother! 

Jiu Chen: You're over thinking things.

Yun Feng: Brother, how about we have a chat to relieve the boredom. We've been cultivating together since we were small, so all the rubbish I've done, you know about. I know your character and temper very well too. You don't like clever people. The more simple a person is, the more you like them. Kai Yang is brash and simple, Han Zhang and Zhu Xie are also blockheads who only do things a certain way. Shisan has been cultivating for thousands of years but is still fish-headed. You like simple people and protect them, so you treat Ling Xi in a special way too. She's lively, cute, simple and direct, quick-witted and fun. Fu Yun Dian has been much livelier since she's been here. But if you become an enemy of the six realms and all its denizens for her sake, I won't go along with it either.

Jiu Chen: Don't worry, I know what I'm doing.

Yun Feng: Alright. I know that you never fight a losing battle. Since you say that, I won't worry.

Yun Feng switches the subject but when he turns around, Jiu Chen has already walked away and looking at the moon.

Jiu Chen makes plans with Yun Feng and Han Zhong to deal with Zhong Hao and company, assigning them to attack from the north-east and north-west. Kai Yang is surprised at how gung-ho Yun Feng is about work these days. They bump into Yuan Tong, who tells them she's going to ask to join their fight. As she leave to talk to Jiu Chen, Kai Fang comments that she's odd, saying surely what happened to the Yuan family can't be her fault.

Jiu Chen comes out carrying Wuwan, and Yuan Tong follows him and discovers where he is hiding Ling Xi.

Chi Bi reports Jiu Chen's troop movements to Jing Xiu. They are concerned that Zhong Hao would be killed, which would prevent them from catching him and finding a way to get to Yuan Du. Yun Feng and company fight Zhong Hao and he runs off only to bump into Jiu Chen. Zhong Hao wants to know why Jiu Chen is after him when all he wants is vengeance. Jiu Chen tells him there are many ways to seek vengeance, but if he becomes the demon's pawn, there he is seeking his own death. Zhong Hao says he knows Jiu Chen is just doing this for Ling Xi. Jiu Chen is about to strike the killing blow when Jing Xiu intervenes and Zhong Hao escapes. 

Oops, Ep 18 got put in with 17 - split it out:

Spoiler

Ling Xi sits at the front door and runs to greet Jiu Chen. He touches her cheek, and the red tattoo behind her ear. He channels more energy into her until the mark disappears. She asks if she is sick and he says yes. He tells her she will have to stay here and be treated often. She asks what's wrong with her and why everyone wants to capture her. It feels just like when her father kept trying to keep her hidden away. She can guess that it's very serious and troublesome, so much that even Jiu Chen finds it to be a difficult problem to solve.

Ling Xi: If you don't want to tell me, that's okay. It's just that, I hope that no matter what happens, it won't affect you or my family. I hope you can tell me so that I can face it myself.

Jiu Chen: You don't trust me?

Ling Xi: Of course I trust you.

Jiu Chen: Then don't worry. I will protect you. In a little while, I'm going to leave for a bit. But once I come back, I won't leave anymore.

Ling Xi: Are you going to stay here and keep me company?

Jiu Chen: You don't like it?

Ling Xi: I do! I'd really like that! I just ... I just never thought I would have that fortune.

Jiu Chen: Are there any messages you'd like me to pass on to Le Bo? Or if there's anything you want from the Peach Forest, I can fetch it for you.

Ling Xi: No need, this place is good enough. There's no place in the six realms better than here. Besides, Cheng Yan won't miss me. My sister doesn't need to miss me. My dad, well, when he's drunk he won't think of me. I'll stay here and cultivate with you for 80, 100 thousand years. By then, I'll be a greater god too, and I'll go home and give Cheng Yan a shock!

Jiu Chen: It's fine. If you miss your dad, he can come and visit you.

They bid a lingering farewell at the door, with Ling Xi hanging on to Jiu Chen's sleeve. He puts a barrier around the mansion, not noticing Yuan Tong sees him.

Jiu Chen goes to the heavenly palace while Yuan Tong runs to tattle to Xi Wangmu. Jiu Chen asks to resign from his position as God of War, saying that Tian Lei has been managing the heavenly army for many years and has accumulated quite a bit of merit and deserves it. Tianjun rebukes him for being immature and irresponsible, saying that the position change has broad repercussions, and is not just a prize post that can be given as reward for merits.

Jiu Chen: If I hadn't woken up from Changsheng Hai, Tian Lei would already have the post.

Tianjun: Jiu Chen, you are not an irresponsible person. Tell me, what gave you this idea?

Jiu Chen: I sincerely ask for your approval.

Tianjun: You! Don't ask anymore!

Meanwhile, Xi Wangmu arrives at Jiu Chen's ice manor. The caretaker says nobody is home. She sweeps him aside and begins to hammer at the barrier.

Tian Lei arrives and is confused to hear that Jiu Chen wants to resign. Jiu Chen senses the attack and leaves abruptly. Ling Xiu does her best to hide but she is found. Xi Wangmu is about to kill her when Jiu Chen shows up and stops her. When she insists on taking Ling Xi, Jiu Chen summons his sword threateningly, and she leaves, saying he'd better have an explanation. 

They have a sweet moment before he tells her they will have to make a trip to the palace. She nods bravely. Jiu Chen channels some energy into the eternity knot.

Jiu Chen: Are you afraid?

Ling Xi: It's one stroke of the sword whether I stick my head out or not. Might as well get it over with. I haven't done anything bad anyway. It makes no sense to hide.

Jiu Chen: Looks like you don't like staying here after all.

Ling Xi: Of course that's not it. I'm happy to be anywhere you are. I just don't like passing the days without knowing what's going on.

Jiu Chen: I'm here, you don't need to be afraid.

Ling Xi: You are the greatest immortal, I have nothing to fear as long as I have you. By the way, Xi Wangmu says that you will anger Tianjun and come to a bad end for protecting me.

Jiu Chen: I will have to listen to your chatter from now, so it's true I won't come to a very good end.

Ling Xi: Then... I can talk less.

Jiu Chen: It's fine. I can just tolerate it.

They smile at each other, and he gives her the knot.

Ling Xi gets questioned, and she answers intelligently so that Pu Hua decides it's pointless and goes straight to testing her for demonic energy. As he examines her, the amulet glows blue and they find no sign. Ling Xi is released to Jiu Chen and the moment they get in the door he tells her to shut it and leans heavily against the wall, ice forming.

He wakes and stumbles, cold, until she warms him and he feels better. She has a lot of questions; why does he have to use his energy to protect her? Why did that man (Zhong Hao) say it was her and want to capture her? Why were they examining her? To check if she had been corrupted?

Jiu Chen: Do you think that you are?

Ling Xi: I'm not. I've never harmed anyone. I was born in the Peach Forest. Dan bird is also an immortal tribe. I cultivated for 50000 years. Though my power isn't great, but I have confidence in myself. No matter what happens, I could never get corrupted.

Jiu Chen: Then what are you afraid of?

Ling Xi: I'm afraid of what people say. I'm afraid of sudden calamity. I'm afraid of affecting my family. I'm afraid of implicating you.

Jiu Chen: It will all pass.

And he gives her a comforting hug.

Zhong Hao is wounded and struggles to reach the demon seal. His god son shows up, and he tells him the girl they need is Ling Xi, who also has the Shui Yue Ding and is being hidden away by Jiu Chen. Zhong Hao tells Qin Yuan to find her and passes out.

Ling Xi gets to keep the eternity knot, and starts fussing around the house, trying to figure out what to pack for their move to the ice mansion. "I need a big box!" Jiu Chen laughs to himself.

Ling Xi talks to Wuwan, asking if she's scary. She tells him she had a dream that Tian Lei and Xi Wangmu were both chasing after her, and she beat the poo out of them. She asks him if she could have violent tendencies, or if she's corrupted! She has no idea what it's like to be corrupted, but she notices she just wants to eat meat lately.

She's packed up so many things Jiu Chen's looking for his stuff. He ends up telling her to stop packing since Congji Yuan has everything. Silly bird.

Qing Yao comes to visit, and she tells her she should be happy, but somehow feels insecure. They share a cuddly sisterly moment.

I am watching Episode 37 grinning like a Cheshire cat.

It seemed that Jiu Chen and the Prime Minister has never met before. The two of them are like bulls fawning for the same cow. So funny. That Prime Minister commented that Jiu Chen is way too old for Ah Mo.

4 hours ago, ipohtown said:

Thanks for doing episode recap. I really appreciate it. I don’t understand or read mandarin. So the recaps really helps me to understand what’s happening. Thank you!!

Are you from Ipoh? :) High-five! And you're welcome! I didn't mean for them to be detailed recaps but my OCD makes it difficult to skim past details, and some of them are just too fun not to share.

4 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

I am watching Episode 37 grinning like a Cheshire cat.

It seemed that Jiu Chen and the Prime Minister has never met before. The two of them are like bulls fawning for the same cow. So funny. That Prime Minister commented that Jiu Chen is way too old for Ah Mo.

Epi 37 and 38 were really fun to watch, Jiu Chen and Jing Xiu playing their little harmless 'pranks' with each other just to get Ah Mo's attention and to find out each other's identity by playing around and trying to outdo each other with their powers , so cute..Poor Ah Mo tho, at times u can tell that she wished both guys would just disappear and leave her alone, the whole thing has become so awkward now all she could do was to keep asking them if they were hungry.

Episodes 37 and 38 have got to be the funniest so far. :joy:  I was starting to get a bit bored of the unlimited amount of screentime given to the side characters. Today's episodes more than made up for it though.

Spoiler

Who would've guessed that the God of War could be petty to such an extreme and so easily peeved by a love rival? :sweatingbullets: It's a large contrast to his earlier demeanour, where I was unsure as to whether or not that furrowed brow would ever get a break. I really love how multi-faceted this character is. It's extremely satisfying to watch him exude confidence and yet humble himself so naturally when the need requires. I particularly enjoyed his ferocity in dealing with that prime minister dude. JC always seemed to be above using his status as a Great God (?) to get away with things at the beginning, but he clearly had no qualms about asserting said status when warning his rival not to get in his way. It so humourously juxtaposes with his childish methods to make the other dude look bad (e.g. flicking his hair at the guy's face). :lol:

I hope this series won't have a BE though. It doesn't help that they're dropping more and more hints at JC's deteriorating health. There's also not much to glean from the trailers as to how his dilemma will be resolved, but it looks like it won't be a lasting problem. The trailers do, however, hint at another upcoming separation.

If the writers are sadists for generously (and relentlessly) dishing out the never-ending angst, then the loyal viewers are most definitely masochists for willingly sticking with this series. :neutral: It's like a reward and punishment system, we have to get past the angst (which has literally been a persistent thing since episode 20) to enjoy the sweetness (if you can even call it that) that are episodes 37 and 38.

Who can forget that Brother Siew said Jiu Chen looked more like a butcher than a scholar and Jiu Chen said that Brother Siew looked more like a conman than a merchant.

Even Xiao Bai is running to hide from the two men's feud.

Although Brother Siew has to admit Jiu Chen beat him at who is the oldest.

1 hour ago, vintage_chutzpah said:

Can anyone PM where you are getting the subtitle sources? Mine stopped at episode 10. My gawd.

I can't believe any official subtitlers picked this up yet considering it's the same team behind 10 miles of peach blossoms. 

It has a great story. 

Sadly no subs.I am watching it raw and heard Viki did got the rights but Croton media cancelled it(I am not sure and if it's true then I don't get it why did they do this SMH!).On YouTube I saw one person said she/he submitted the subs but Croton didn't accepted it. I just hope after the broadcast ends they will provide the subs of all episodes.

Saw this post on Tumblr and it truly describes my feeling about jiu Chen love for linxi beautifully written by the owner

Spoiler

https://chronic-whimsy.tumblr.com/post/186622708913/oh-lordy-someone-please-tell-me-where-i-can-get

Someone please tell me where I can get myself a man immortal like Jiu Chen.

Asking a serious question here.

In terms of romantic interests, he’s really skyrocketing onto the top of my favorite c-drama heroes list.

Spoilers ahead for ep 21-22.

There are many great moments with him (the “I’ll protect her” line anyone?) before this, but I think this is the scene that truly solidified my adoration for his character:

imageimage

She’s freaking out because her life is in complete shambles, and everyone is after her head. Meanwhile she still doesn’t have a clue as to why they are calling her a demon. She distraughtly asks if everything was her fault, that she is the one to blame. He firmly tell her that it wasn’t, that nothing is her fault. She did nothing wrong, he repeats.

imageimage

But she doesn’t take the answer well since she’s so distressed, and demands to know who then is at fault if not her. Who should she blame? So what does he do? He just looks at her in the eye and tells her it’s his fault. He’s to blame.

The point is, it’s no one’s at fault here. Everything was the result of fate. As the audience, we don’t really blame him because it’s difficult to fight fate and circumstances; things out of anyone’s control. At some levels, I believe he knows this too.

Nevertheless, this scene! His response. It’s a perfect summation of who he is as a person. We saw some of it from the way he bore all the blame in order to preserve the Yuan Family’s honour. But in this moment, when he tells her it’s his fault, it really resonates.

He’s someone who takes the burden onto himself if it means to relieve others. And for someone he loved? He would take on the weight of the world.

Jiu Chen is a refreshing character because in most of these Xianxia genre stories, the main source of conflict is usually the hero’s dilemma in choosing between duty/the greater good vs heroine/love. Typically, the hero will favor one over the other, either try to surpress his feelings and distance himself from the heroine, or pretty much go against the world for her.

However, Jiu Chen chooses neither. When presented with the choice by his beloved Master, he refuses to choose, because it’s not a choice for him.

Ling Xi is not a choice, and will never be one.

Instead, he will take a third path, even if it means bearing all the pain, all the pressure. Everything.

And so, he takes it upon himself to rip out his own heart to fight for a chance to give her a future. Even if it’s just a chance.

imageimage

I freaking died at this scene.

He doesn’t compromise his responsibilities for love, and he doesn’t sacrifice his love for his responsibilities. Instead he would sacrifice himself.

I’m sure later in the show, he will slowly learn to allow others to share the burden with him, because this is just too much for one person to take on forever. But for now, I’m loving this so much.

It also makes a lot of sense why they opted to hire an older actor, rather than a 20 something flower boy, because I don’t think they would have the gravitas or maturity to pull a character like Jiu Chen off.

Another thing I love about Jiu Chen is how straightforward he is. There’s no hesitation once he’s clear to his own feelings. Once he realizes he loves her, he has eyes for Ling Xi only. 110%.

Ling Xi is one lucky little bird.

31 minutes ago, Pmyonly said:

Sadly no subs.I am watching it raw and heard Viki did got the rights but Croton media cancelled it(I am not sure and if it's true then I don't get it why did they do this SMH!).On YouTube I saw one person said she/he submitted the subs but Croton didn't accepted it. I just hope after the broadcast ends they will provide the subs of all episodes.

Saw this post on Tumblr and it truly describes my feeling about jiu Chen love for linxi beautifully written by the owner

Hide contents

https://chronic-whimsy.tumblr.com/post/186622708913/oh-lordy-someone-please-tell-me-where-i-can-get

Someone please tell me where I can get myself a man immortal like Jiu Chen.

Asking a serious question here.

In terms of romantic interests, he’s really skyrocketing onto the top of my favorite c-drama heroes list.

Spoilers ahead for ep 21-22.

There are many great moments with him (the “I’ll protect her” line anyone?) before this, but I think this is the scene that truly solidified my adoration for his character:

imageimage

She’s freaking out because her life is in complete shambles, and everyone is after her head. Meanwhile she still doesn’t have a clue as to why they are calling her a demon. She distraughtly asks if everything was her fault, that she is the one to blame. He firmly tell her that it wasn’t, that nothing is her fault. She did nothing wrong, he repeats.

imageimage

But she doesn’t take the answer well since she’s so distressed, and demands to know who then is at fault if not her. Who should she blame? So what does he do? He just looks at her in the eye and tells her it’s his fault. He’s to blame.

The point is, it’s no one’s at fault here. Everything was the result of fate. As the audience, we don’t really blame him because it’s difficult to fight fate and circumstances; things out of anyone’s control. At some levels, I believe he knows this too.

Nevertheless, this scene! His response. It’s a perfect summation of who he is as a person. We saw some of it from the way he bore all the blame in order to preserve the Yuan Family’s honour. But in this moment, when he tells her it’s his fault, it really resonates.

He’s someone who takes the burden onto himself if it means to relieve others. And for someone he loved? He would take on the weight of the world.

Jiu Chen is a refreshing character because in most of these Xianxia genre stories, the main source of conflict is usually the hero’s dilemma in choosing between duty/the greater good vs heroine/love. Typically, the hero will favor one over the other, either try to surpress his feelings and distance himself from the heroine, or pretty much go against the world for her.

However, Jiu Chen chooses neither. When presented with the choice by his beloved Master, he refuses to choose, because it’s not a choice for him.

Ling Xi is not a choice, and will never be one.

Instead, he will take a third path, even if it means bearing all the pain, all the pressure. Everything.

And so, he takes it upon himself to rip out his own heart to fight for a chance to give her a future. Even if it’s just a chance.

imageimage

I freaking died at this scene.

He doesn’t compromise his responsibilities for love, and he doesn’t sacrifice his love for his responsibilities. Instead he would sacrifice himself.

I’m sure later in the show, he will slowly learn to allow others to share the burden with him, because this is just too much for one person to take on forever. But for now, I’m loving this so much.

It also makes a lot of sense why they opted to hire an older actor, rather than a 20 something flower boy, because I don’t think they would have the gravitas or maturity to pull a character like Jiu Chen off.

Another thing I love about Jiu Chen is how straightforward he is. There’s no hesitation once he’s clear to his own feelings. Once he realizes he loves her, he has eyes for Ling Xi only. 110%.

Ling Xi is one lucky little bird.

Oh my heart. A good insight and opinion on Jiu Chen's character. This is actually quite a good series. I am not sure why it wasnt really pick up by the masses. Sure, the lead actor is not your typical 20-30 year old eye candy but he fits the role. Do people really just watch drama for the lead only? Are we like the minority here? Lol

Agreed that I like Jiu Chen the way he is. I remembered the first smile that broke on his face because of Ling Xi. His countless emotions such as whether to take Ling Xi fruit size pill to the homeless animals she brings home. How can you forget that she even brought in a knife and chopsticks so he can eat her handmade pill. Jiu Chen looked at it whether it will cure him or kill him.

Now just enjoying watching the jealousy streaks and how petty he can be. How many times Jing Xiu had to change his clothes? Those two are acting like schoolboys. Did you see how they tried to shoulder off each other after being scolded in Episode 38?

Yuan Tong will never imagine that the War of War will show such emotions. I am glad the Heavenly Emperor warned the God of Thunder to beware of being made used of. Yuan Tong wanted to supply some information to avoid guarding the Demon King's "prison".

Archived