Quantcast
DontEatMyKimchi

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

3 hours ago, xunxine said:

bravo well said.  though from Ah Mo perspective it was unfair to her because she had no memories of Ling Xi, so it’d have been better if they incorporate flashback memories of LX maybe near her death so it’s not too bitter for her

I was always under the impression that he loved her as Linxi and Ah Mo, especially because he saw her as one and the same, despite the different personalities. When she reincarnated, after dying as a mortal, LinXi seemed to be a hybrid of both personalities. Never the less, the article was very insightful and intriguing. Gave me something to think about and I always appreciate that. :D

• Like 1

I want to put in a positive review for those who are not sure about watching it.  Just do it!

I finished all 60 episodes.  I started watching when there were 20 episodes out.  It was torture waiting for new episodes.  I am still totally obsessed!    I am even going through the Douban discussion board (the major Chinese review site) to feed my obsession. 

CC and NN blew me away with their acting.  I rewatch scenes just to enjoy their acting.  The story as a whole is really great too.  I am satified with the ending.  JC did what he promised to LX, and that is all that matters.  

I am glad Viki picked it up so more people can enjoy it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, fivebowls said:

I want to put in a positive review for those who are not sure about watching it.  Just do it!

I finished all 60 episodes.  I started watching when there were 20 episodes out.  It was torture waiting for new episodes.  I am still totally obsessed!    I am even going through the Douban discussion board (the major Chinese review site) to feed my obsession. 

CC and NN blew me away with their acting.  I rewatch scenes just to enjoy their acting.  The story as a whole is really great too.  I am satified with the ending.  JC did what he promised to LX, and that is all that matters.  

I am glad Viki picked it up so more people can enjoy it.

Wish I could follow Douban discussion board too but can't read Chinese.  I started watching 2 weeks ago and got hooked on it after watching 3-4 episodes and binged watch this in 2-3 days. Now watching it solely to get the language/context/understanding better- definitedly missed the whole part with the concubine contract in ep 44 until someone here said something about. .Been using this site to understand parts I did not understand in Vietnamese.  Would love more folks to enjoy and appreciate the show too and for the show to get the high ratings it deserves..

21 minutes ago, loyaltvbviewer said:

Wish I could follow Douban discussion board too but can't read Chinese.  I started watching 2 weeks ago and got hooked on it after watching 3-4 episodes and binged watch this in 2-3 days. Now watching it solely to get the language/context/understanding better- definitedly missed the whole part with the concubine contract in ep 44 until someone here said something about. .Been using this site to understand parts I did not understand in Vietnamese.  Would love more folks to enjoy and appreciate the show too and for the show to get the high ratings it deserves..

That Douban discussion board is a treasure trove.  There are people there who have gone through the drama with a magnifying glass.  After going through it, I realized that I missed so many details.  The drama has so many layers.  It is what makes it so great.  And CC and NN brought out the nuances so well.

12 hours ago, roxnilla7 said:

https://cfen.si/2019/09/05/review-love-and-destiny-questions-the-trope-of-reincarnated-love/

This is a good read guys. Big warning for SPOILERS though. I know a few people on this forum came directly from Viki, knowing absolutely nothing about this drama. Its crazy though how different Lin Mo and Ling Xi are.

Thank you, love this insightful article. I love the author analysis of the two couple. Looking at A'Mo perspective, it is unfair to her. Even though they have the same soul they are different person (this just made me think of Inuyasha, Kagome and KiKyo, has the same soul but different personality). The author is right that the upbring and experience change a person, so A'Mo is her own individual person. Just as @xunxine say it's unfair because A'Mo doesn't have Ling Xi memories, but even if she does she would feel unsure and question Jui Chen love too. That's why Ling Xi had doubt about Jui Chen or feel indifferent toward him because of A'Mo memories that she recalled (I haven't watch all of if, but from what I gather here). However, I do have to defend Jui Chen love for Ling Xi and A'mo is the same, because he originally love Ling Xi for her purity, kindhearted, and humble. Which is something both A'mo and Ling Xi have. The only different is the way they were raise, someone mention this earlier too because of the dad one raise her to be optimists and care free, while another raise her with love in a more subtle way, so she's is more reserved. So it's as @Vals Stor say Jui Chen love Ling Xi's soul essence that was embodied in both Ling Xi's and A'Mo.

As for QY and YF, I think QY was over romanticize her love for her husband. I remember she says told YF that she love her husband they were happy in her mortal life, but some time they would fight or argue. Then they would made up but then he die. For QY, I think it's because he die that leave her with a traumatic love that's hard to get over. I think when QY meet her husband again and found out he's not the same she was able to let go and move on. I think QY love is realistic, I don't want to say that "you need hold on to a person forever or that love can last forever," but QY love him enough to let him go and accept to move on. It had been 50,000 year, it's about time to move on. Then YF just ran into her life and his persistent worn her down lol. I haven't watch further than ep43 so I need more interaction between QY and her mortal husband to determine more. Because I just feel like they weren't a good match to begin with. They were in an arrange marriage, just slowly fall in love then got rip apart in a traumatic way, so I think that kind of love would be hard to cope with and hard to tell if it's true love.

Sorry for the long rant, I hope that make sense. This article really put thing in different perspective :sweat_smile: 

1 hour ago, fivebowls said:

That Douban discussion board is a treasure trove.  There are people there who have gone through the drama with a magnifying glass.  After going through it, I realized that I missed so many details.  The drama has so many layers.  It is what makes it so great.  And CC and NN brought out the nuances so well.

Can you share with us some of the details you've missed but they mention on Douban discussion board? 

35 minutes ago, Winterfairy said:

Can you share with us some of the details you've missed but they mention on Douban discussion board? 

There are so many.  I’ll try when I have time.  Some are quite detailed analyses of scenes.  I haven’t read all of the posts here, so sorry if I am repeating stuff.  A small detail shows the care taken by the production team.

Spoiler

In episode 30, JC went to visit Amo but he got caught when his power failed.  When JC was alone in the room, he picked up a book she was reading and was happy when he saw what she was reading.  Amo was embarrassed when he showed her the book.  Someone managed to capture clear screen shots of the book.  The title of the book shows that it is a real historical Chinese medicinal book.  The page the book was open to when JC picked it up lists medicines for treating coldness.  JC realized that Amo was studying it for him.  This was implied by the their reactions in the scene and their previous encounter in the rain.  But it is cool that such details were included even if most viewers would miss them.

I'm definitely very grateful for the subs from PCCD but I feel like some of the subs are a little too literal or a bit off. like in episode 44, he JC said "You're silly, dumb and weak." Surely he didn't mean to call her dumb? perhaps  a word that is less harsh than that? (not sure how to word it in English) but maybe something like "slow witted" or even less harsh? 

4 hours ago, fivebowls said:

There are so many.  I’ll try when I have time.  Some are quite detailed analyses of scenes.  I haven’t read all of the posts here, so sorry if I am repeating stuff.  A small detail shows the care taken by the production team.

Hide contents

In episode 30, JC went to visit Amo but he got caught when his power failed.  When JC was alone in the room, he picked up a book she was reading and was happy when he saw what she was reading.  Amo was embarrassed when he showed her the book.  Someone managed to capture clear screen shots of the book.  The title of the book shows that it is a real historical Chinese medicinal book.  The page the book was open to when JC picked it up lists medicines for treating coldness.  JC realized that Amo was studying it for him.  This was implied by the their reactions in the scene and their previous encounter in the rain.  But it is cool that such details were included even if most viewers would miss them.

@So that’s what it was!! I ask this and someone translate it as herbal for newly wed women. That’s very interesting, it’s show that she very much interested in him to begin with.

7 hours ago, fivebowls said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for this. Had no clue. Definitely a lot of layers . Hope to read more from you

6 hours ago, Cammy said:

I'm definitely very grateful for the subs from PCCD but I feel like some of the subs are a little too literal or a bit off. like in episode 44, he JC said "You're silly, dumb and weak." Surely he didn't mean to call her dumb? perhaps  a word that is less harsh than that? (not sure how to word it in English) but maybe something like "slow witted" or even less harsh? 

Would like to contrast this to viki subs

10 hours ago, Winterfairy said:

Thank you, love this insightful article. I love the author analysis of the two couple. Looking at A'Mo perspective, it is unfair to her. Even though they have the same soul they are different person (this just made me think of Inuyasha, Kagome and KiKyo, has the same soul but different personality). The author is right that the upbring and experience change a person, so A'Mo is her own individual person. Just as @xunxine say it's unfair because A'Mo doesn't have Ling Xi memories, but even if she does she would feel unsure and question Jui Chen love too. That's why Ling Xi had doubt about Jui Chen or feel indifferent toward him because of A'Mo memories that she recalled (I haven't watch all of if, but from what I gather here). However, I do have to defend Jui Chen love for Ling Xi and A'mo is the same, because he originally love Ling Xi for her purity, kindhearted, and humble. Which is something both A'mo and Ling Xi have. The only different is the way they were raise, someone mention this earlier too because of the dad one raise her to be optimists and care free, while another raise her with love in a more subtle way, so she's is more reserved. So it's as @Vals Stor say Jui Chen love Ling Xi's soul essence that was embodied in both Ling Xi's and A'Mo.

As for QY and YF, I think QY was over romanticize her love for her husband. I remember she says told YF that she love her husband they were happy in her mortal life, but some time they would fight or argue. Then they would made up but then he die. For QY, I think it's because he die that leave her with a traumatic love that's hard to get over. I think when QY meet her husband again and found out he's not the same she was able to let go and move on. I think QY love is realistic, I don't want to say that "you need hold on to a person forever or that love can last forever," but QY love him enough to let him go and accept to move on. It had been 50,000 year, it's about time to move on. Then YF just ran into her life and his persistent worn her down lol. I haven't watch further than ep43 so I need more interaction between QY and her mortal husband to determine more. Because I just feel like they weren't a good match to begin with. They were in an arrange marriage, just slowly fall in love then got rip apart in a traumatic way, so I think that kind of love would be hard to cope with and hard to tell if it's true love.

Sorry for the long rant, I hope that make sense. This article really put thing in different perspective :sweat_smile: 

Thats a good way to think of it. As @Vals Stor put, we are looking at in terms of a mortal world view, where we care about personality, appearances etc. I also didnt notice that despite how different Ling Xi and A'mo are, at the core they are still somewhat same (pure, humble, kind). As for QY, I also think it makes a bit more sense that she moved on and didn't want to take her mortal husband back when he became an immortal, because she finally found peace and was able to find love again, however he just comes back out of nowhere. I really feel for YF, I even cried for him in some scenes because as much as he likes QY, he was willing to bring her to the mortal world and ask if she wants her husband's memories to come back, he even made her porridge, etc. You know its a good article when it forces you to question yourself and think outside the box lol.

Either way, I know that the PCCD group is updated daily with new episodes, however I will try to stop at 47 and start when all the other episodes are released with sub. Because we know what happens in ep 50... Right? Lol. It's so tempting though. I'm so hyped for episode 50, its coming so soon, I just want her to be back already.

Honestly I am rewatching this and getting the whole layer thing as well.

Like what happened between QY, Sangnan and YF.

JC said to Ah Mo that he's afraid she'd forget him. He had the right idea too, because like QY, LX could have ended up having a romance with someone else she might not forget and that will complicate their relationship when she comes back. especially he was the one who killed her (obviously he did it to save her, but she was rightfully upset about that, just imagine had he listen to everyone and stayed away, it would have made things much worst) 

And then CY, I didn't notice it until someone pointed out how he's actually in love with LX. because now looking back, I don't think he was ever happy for LX being with JC and actually had tried to talk her out of her on multiple occasion. nothing was more apparent as well when he said he wouldn't go look for LX in the mortal world again because JC was there. 

another thing, JX. he is definitely such a complicated fella and really dumb somehow. he spent so much effort to save BQ only to kill her later in a heat of moment when she tried and failed to kill LX....

the whole thing about JC loving two completely different people, that is in a way kinda true. but from his point of view, loving the soul and the person before, it make sense too. Because in all, Ah Mo is temporary but LX is not. and since he love LX, who she was, what she is etc, that love get transferred to AH Mo because at her core (and her soul) she is LX. like someone said, she Is still the same pure, kind, and gentle person she has always been but she shows it differently. as for personality, she is who she is because of her father. which interestingly, she's close with both so she got their personalities. 

Anyways, I feel like since JC love LX so whole heartedly, he loved every bit of her without questioning it, even the temporary her, since he remember the old her, he learn to love the new her too.

I think that's why LX is so conflicted when she went back to the heavens because she remember how one part of her was so hurt because of him...so she had to figure out how to be both girl, to balance herself out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Winterfairy said:

@roxnilla7 when does the sad part start?

Spoiler

Admin from PCCD group said ep 46. It might be another trial. She also goes back to the heavens in ep 50.

So, alot of things are gonna happen these next few episodes. 

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

Honestly I am rewatching this and getting the whole layer thing as well.

Like what happened between QY, Sangnan and YF.

JC said to Ah Mo that he's afraid she'd forget him. He had the right idea too, because like QY, LX could have ended up having a romance with someone else she might not forget and that will complicate their relationship when she comes back. especially he was the one who killed her (obviously he did it to save her, but she was rightfully upset about that, just imagine had he listen to everyone and stayed away, it would have made things much worst) 

And then CY, I didn't notice it until someone pointed out how he's actually in love with LX. because now looking back, I don't think he was ever happy for LX being with JC and actually had tried to talk her out of her on multiple occasion. nothing was more apparent as well when he said he wouldn't go look for LX in the mortal world again because JC was there. 

another thing, JX. he is definitely such a complicated fella and really dumb somehow. he spent so much effort to save BQ only to kill her later in a heat of moment when she tried and failed to kill LX....

the whole thing about JC loving two completely different people, that is in a way kinda true. but from his point of view, loving the soul and the person before, it make sense too. Because in all, Ah Mo is temporary but LX is not. and since he love LX, who she was, what she is etc, that love get transferred to AH Mo because at her core (and her soul) she is LX. like someone said, she Is still the same pure, kind, and gentle person she has always been but she shows it differently. as for personality, she is who she is because of her father. which interestingly, she's close with both so she got their personalities. 

Anyways, I feel like since JC love LX so whole heartedly, he loved every bit of her without questioning it, even the temporary her, since he remember the old her, he learn to love the new her too.

I think that's why LX is so conflicted when she went back to the heavens because she remember how one part of her was so hurt because of him...so she had to figure out how to be both girl, to balance herself out. 

Thats why it weirded me out. If I had never come to this forum, I honestly would have probably never noticed that CY is in love with LX. She always viewed him as her brother, and I thought he also saw her like a sister. However, it makes alot of sense now why he was so upset after Le Buo passed. Not only did his father(master?) pass, but the women he loved passed (or so he thought).

I think the whole thing with LX coming back and having an identity crisis and figuring out whether JC really loves her as why they should have added another 5-10 episodes. I would have really appreciated more screen time of the new LX, because when she comes back shes a mix of both A mo and LX. But hey, I cant complain. At least its not sad ending right? Lol!

@roxnilla7 then I will watch up to episode 46 then wait until episode 50. So far with every scene that’s JC worries about A’Mo last calamity or how he always reassure is so pain to watch him suffer. Now that I understand, these upcoming scene will be very sad if I don’t get to see her return right away. 

@Cammy what you said is true because A’Mo doesn’t have LX memories so if she ever fall in love with someone else such as JX, then when she comes back it might affect her choice. When SiMing told her to wait, and someone will come to her, at one point she misunderstood that it’s JX. 

• Like 1

Girls

8.1 on Douban aaaaaaaand gettin' higher each week!

:blush:

*reading some reviews here and there on the internet, i came to the conclusion that L&D did something very sneaky to the audience: 

at its first presentation and often during the episodes, there were cliches common in every drama of this category.

So everyone was like: "ahm, same old story bla bla bla"

And then we all got caught by surprise cause of the higher level of acting performances from literally most of the cast plus the overwhelming OTP chemistry that blew away our minds and hearts.

Usually, a product sets the bar of expectations so high, and almost never its quality can reach it. 

L&D did the exact opposite: it was presented as a common, even dull and repeatable drama and saved the best for last!

That look-like-muffin director Lin Yufen and the whole team, played us hard, ladies!

:joy:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vals Stor said:

Girls

8.1 on Douban aaaaaaaand gettin' higher each week!

:blush:

*reading some reviews here and there on the internet, i came to the conclusion that L&D did something very sneaky to the audience: 

at its first presentation and often during the episodes, there were cliches common in every drama of this category.

So everyone was like: "ahm, same old story bla bla bla"

And then we all got caught by surprise cause of the higher level of acting performances from literally most of the cast plus the overwhelming OTP chemistry that blew away our minds and hearts.

Usually, a product sets the bar of expectations so high, and almost never its quality can reach it. 

L&D did the exact opposite: it was presented as a common, even dull and repeatable drama and saved the best for last!

That look-like-muffin director Lin Yufen and the whole team, played us hard, ladies!

:joy:

Too bad this story is not broadcasted in China on TV and only can be seen online. I think a lot more will come to like it knowing the reviews. 

• Like 1