Quantcast
DontEatMyKimchi

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

20 minutes ago, blueclueblue said:

What I want to say is that he becoming Jiu Chen, not just fit the role.  Whatever we see on screen is the character Jiu Chen, not the actor Chang Chen portrays Jiu Chen. 
I know what you mean by his face is different in all of his movies. 

I just google his name and apparently he won awards for Wong Kar Wai movies....  

On the same note, I guess I should be happy that he dials back his crazy styling for L&D or not.

I’m with you, I hate JC clothes during the mortal arc the most, they're the ugliest thing ever and not to mention the same design for Ah Mo and LX clothes.  Overall I just hate this designer.  I don’t understand the long sleeves and the long hair. Whatever accolade he has is running dry and they should stop hiring him.  

Look at all of his crazy styling.

https://ek21.com/news/1/85411/

https://www.zhihu.com/question/38485236 (lots of pictures so loading is slow)

At least, they should have skipped the upper see-through coat thing. The inside of it (we saw it when he was trying the costume that Amo sewed for him), its was very elegant and suited him perfectly! When he wore the upper one.....facepalm! :joy:

Yeap, i agree with your point on CC incarnating JC so perfectly! CC does it with every role he takes (at least on the movies i ve watched him so far)

1 hour ago, J13 said:

I just watched the first 3 subbed episodes on Viki and I'm loving everything so far. This is going to be my next addiction, I can feel it!

Leads are great and have good chemistry so far, story set up is great, hints of the backstory is interesting and intriguing, everything is visually beautiful and I'm liking the soundtrack. Perfect set up for the next addictive hit!

Reminds me of the feelings I had for Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, Ashes of Love and Goodbye my Princess when I first started watching them and I love those 3 dramas tremendously (my top 3 fav Cdramas)! Hopefully it doesn't start going downhill halfway (like I've seen with quiet a few dramas) and we get a happy ending although, I'm sure they'll be a ton of tears beforehand given the premise.

Edit: I'm just reading comments, has this drama already finished and Viki only just took it on? Bit confused lol

Yeap, its already finished airing and few days ago Viki bought the rights for airing and translating it!

11 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Yeap, its already finished airing and few days ago Viki bought the rights for airing and translating it!

it gets better and better. you will be crying and laughing .  definitely one of the best fantasy drama out there and will be a classic done the road.  love story is very nice . the chase from each of the lead to each other...

8 hours ago, Vals Stor said:

No! We have it open, e.g. if you want to watch an episode now and you want company, just post here that you re logging in Viki, and whoever wants just logs in there too!

(personally i ll just wait for 5-10 episodes to be fully subbed and start watching) :blush:

I started watching the drama on viki so I can push comments to push the show up.  I hate the comments when they sya he is not good looking. Can you see past that and see how well he fits the role and the story.  I can' t stand so many of the new drama out there, always pushing 20s yo and not enough veteran actors... I also do not like it when one person saw 1-2 epsiodes and gave it a 1 star on review. I flagged that thing. I wrote a comment about  wait and watch more before you write your thoughts. If you are looking for a dram with 20s year old who just kiss kiss kiss and no story ,this is not for you (although there is a lot of these scenes in the later half- meant love stuff- which is a bonus) .  this is a love story that grows and blooms and loves deeply and putting the other person first.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 1:52 AM, Vals Stor said:

Hm i dont know if its due to length restrictions, but in dramas in general, they often spend more money from the whole budget and as the show goes on,  they try to wrap up quickly due to lack of money. Its a universal kind of thing, especially in expensive projects.

This actually makes alot of sense, as I watch a few xianxia and even regular modern c dramas have a rushed or abrupt ending-- even though the whole drama is 50-60 episodes <_< for example, like Legend of Fuyao. It was a bit over 60 episodes, but the ending was just like, what? Lol. But I heard for L&D the ending isn't abrupt like TMOPB, which is good. I'll just be happy :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roxnilla7 said:

https://cfen.si/2019/09/05/review-love-and-destiny-questions-the-trope-of-reincarnated-love/

This is a good read guys. Big warning for SPOILERS though. I know a few people on this forum came directly from Viki, knowing absolutely nothing about this drama. Its crazy though how different Lin Mo and Ling Xi are.

Thanks for sharing

45 minutes ago, roxnilla7 said:

This actually makes alot of sense, as I watch a few xianxia and even regular modern c dramas have a rushed or abrupt ending-- even though the whole drama is 50-60 episodes <_< for example, like Legend of Fuyao. It was a bit over 60 episodes, but the ending was just like, what? Lol. But I heard for L&D the ending isn't abrupt like TMOPB, which is good. I'll just be happy :D

I am satisfied with ending but would have love to see more of the couple and ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, loyaltvbviewer said:

I am satisfied with ending but would have love to see more of the couple and ...

Yeap! Exactly!  A bit more, like a full love scene, a happy one, in terms of normal life, a friend of mine sent me the ending from Ashes of Love. That was quite long, it lasted a bit longer, i wanted something like that for L&D!

There are many silly reasons to wrap up drama endings, besides that lack of money from the 2/3 of story and after that.

Often there are more and longer ending scenes shooted, but they cut them off during final montage, so to focus on main story, or give extra time to other actor's scenes (things are not so cheerful  and not every cast keeps good relationships with each other-among the actors- when it comes to actor's contracts and how many scenes their manager demands for his client-actor) pf, money money money and more screen time.

6 hours ago, roxnilla7 said:

https://cfen.si/2019/09/05/review-love-and-destiny-questions-the-trope-of-reincarnated-love/

This is a good read guys. Big warning for SPOILERS though. I know a few people on this forum came directly from Viki, knowing absolutely nothing about this drama. Its crazy though how different Lin Mo and Ling Xi are.

Thank you! 

Very insightful article!

Only thing i could add, is that Jiu Chen was always an immortal, so his love comes in immortal terms of living and loving and not as in mortal world when we love a person for what he is, his personality, his values, his face and body shape etc. 

Immortals, as pictured by JC, love a soul, no matter the body that carries that soul, no matter its mortal values, features etc (ok, for "drama 's economy" sake, the appearance of the incarnated person is still the same, but lets skip that part).

The way i see it, JC loves LX's soul essence, her core of existence, either embodied in LX or Amo or whoever she might be. He also declares it clearly in some point when he says to her: "no matter who you are, or what person you may turn into in the future, i will always be by your side" (hope the translation i saw is precise).

Therefore, those f#$@# dramas, are picturing the kind of love that we-humans- crave for in our fantasy, and the desire to be loved for our soul, no matter how full of flaws we are on the surface. And that's why im so miserable now, that i want a second season, and i dont care if it fails or anything!  Let me roost on a corner on the floor and cry under my withdrawal syndrome :joy:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, loyaltvbviewer said:

https://cfen.si/2019/08/24/review-love-and-destiny-is-a-gift-that-keeps-on-giving-with-every-watch/#more-67493

another article from that website with positive review!

it probable was mentioned in an earlier post.

Thanks for that article too!

The writer is right: 

the show's introduction was girly in a very bad way, too pinky, too fake dreamy, that JC's cape with the huge ribbon, wtf! 

When i first saw it, i was soooo disappointed cause i already knew Ni Ni and Chang Chen and i was like: what?really now?

I didnt see that  thing coming, i admit they caught me in great surprise firstly with the storyline that i found intriguing -not for the usual "demonic stuff" inside the girl -which is quite common, but cause of the common fate of the OTP that started too early in their lives without them knowing anything about it. Then there were the other characters i longed for to learn their stories.....Le Bo, QY, YF, and as the story goes on, i found myself mesmerized by their performances. I loved Le Bo, as much as Amo's dad in the mortal realm. her mother was an interesting character too-though she didnt have many scenes.

Then there were the minus characters, the lighter ones, Amo's boss-the physician, Mrs Wang, Shi San etc, who give a lighter color when the story goes heavy and tiresome. I think this drama has the right proportions of everything, except the performances that were top notch and non limited in quality. So, lets forgive JC's ribbons (how am i going to forget that trailer's cape with ribbon and the curly hair from behing...) :lol:

47dbdd58ccafa02160a9d5ef6eb0895b.jpg

(as we can see in the first pic, he's like: "cant believe they made me look like Disney's princesses. i just want to turn icy cold and die in peace") lol

• LOL 2

19 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Thank you! 

Very insightful article!

Only thing i could add, is that Jiu Chen was always an immortal, so his love comes in immortal terms of living and loving and not as in mortal world when we love a person for what he is, his personality, his values, his face and body shape etc. 

Immortals, as pictured by JC, love a soul, no matter the body that carries that soul, no matter its mortal values, features etc (ok, for "drama economy sake, the appearance of the incarnated person is still the same, but lets skip that part).

The way i see it, JC loves LX's soul essence, her core of existence, either embodied in LX or Amo or whoever she might be. He also declares it clearly in some point when he says to her: "no matter who you are, or what person you may turn into in the future, i will always be by your side" (hope the translation i saw is precise).

Therefore, those f#$@# dramas, are picturing the kind of love that we-humans- crave for in our fantasy, and the desire to be loved for our soul, no matter how full of flaws we are on the surface. And that's why im so miserable now, that i want a second season, and i dont care if it fails or anything!  Let me roost on a corner on the floor and cry under my withdrawal syndrome :joy:

bravo well said.  though from Ah Mo perspective it was unfair to her because she had no memories of Ling Xi, so it’d have been better if they incorporate flashback memories of LX maybe near her death so it’s not too bitter for her

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xunxine said:

bravo well said.  though from Ah Mo perspective it was unfair to her because she had no memories of Ling Xi, so it’d have been better if they incorporate flashback memories of LX maybe near her death so it’s not too bitter for her

That thing crossed my mind too! But im thinking that maybe her overall trials (not just in the mortal world), were including to feel betrayed a her last moments, or -on a funny note-

maybe the hair stylist or the cape designer just gave that idea cause he proved he hates everyone in that show!

:joy:

And lets not forget that her trials were JC's trials too! He had to experience her loss twice, to experience also the feeling of keeping things from her that cant be explained (during first arc, she couldnt hear him in that cave,

during 2nd arc, he couldnt say anything due to life and death rules in mortal world) and to not avoid of being the one who -she thought- betrayed her in the end. It would be too cheesy if she died in peace, knowing that she 'll return as LX and the drama feeling would be reduced!

JC's heart is opening gradually, as he experiences the above. He saw the bitterness of his loved one, her will to forget him, to ignore him, to let his love aside. All these things were opening doors to his road of love cultivation.

*memories of previous lives, or the soul memories from the spirit world, are forbidden in most of philosophical theories, religions and mythology.

For example, in Greek mythology, the soul drinks an amnesia potion before is born, so to come to earth with a clean mind, and experience mortality from zero point. In greek songs there's also common the: "water of oblivion".

Even if incarnations, souls etc exist, it would be too messy to come here with previous state (mortal or immortal) memories. We already have headaches and stress with one life. Imagine the burden if we had extra memories too!

Hell! 

1 hour ago, Vals Stor said:

Thanks for that article too!

The writer is right: 

the show's introduction was girly in a very bad way, too pinky, too fake dreamy, that JC's cape with the huge ribbon, wtf! 

When i first saw it, i was soooo disappointed cause i already knew Ni Ni and Chang Chen and i was like: what?really now?

I didnt see that  thing coming, i admit they caught me in great surprise firstly with the storyline that i found intriguing -not for the usual "demonic stuff" inside the girl -which is quite common, but cause of the common fate of the OTP that started too early in their lives without them knowing anything about it. Then there were the other characters i longed for to learn their stories.....Le Bo, QY, YF, and as the story goes on, i found myself mesmerized by their performances. I loved Le Bo, as much as Amo's dad in the mortal realm. her mother was an interesting character too-though she didnt have many scenes.

Then there were the minus characters, the lighter ones, Amo's boss-the physician, Mrs Wang, Shi San etc, who give a lighter color when the story goes heavy and tiresome. I think this drama has the right proportions of everything, except the performances that were top notch and non limited in quality. So, lets forgive JC's ribbons (how am i going to forget that trailer's cape with ribbon and the curly hair from behing...) :lol:

47dbdd58ccafa02160a9d5ef6eb0895b.jpg

(as we can see in the first pic, he's like: "cant believe they made me look like that. i just want to turn icy cold and die in peace") lol

Thank god I skipped the trailer :relieved:  and just start the series because CHANG CHEN in a tv series.  :love:

1 hour ago, Vals Stor said:

Thank you! 

Very insightful article!

Immortals, as pictured by JC, love a soul, no matter the body that carries that soul, no matter its mortal values, features etc (ok, for "drama 's economy" sake, the appearance of the incarnated person is still the same, but lets skip that part).

I don't like how the reincarnate article made it sound like "faithfulness" that Jiu Chen stays with Ah Mo.  You should add what you said here to that article.  :lol:

I agree with you that Jiu Chen view Ling Xi and Ah Mo as one and the same  and he accepted all of her differences personality.  

I'm late to the ride, but I just watched ep 1!!! I love it!! I find the plot and sets similar to 10,000 Peach Blossom!!! 

Is it going to have a happy or sad ending??? Jiu Chen and Ling Xi are so compatible!! They already have chemistry.

About Chiu Jen costume and hair, I’m fine with it.  He looks good in mortal realm with the updo, the long locks flowing doesn’t bother me 

Anyways, Jiu Chen loves for Ling Xi is what made the series for me, love how he falls in love with her and always beside her... the man willingly give up his status for her, literally rips out his heart for her... lol.

What’s the one scene you always watch first when rewatching this drama?  I always came back to this scene, Chiu Jen puppy dog expression when he said ... but I came here w/ other intentions got me... :)

Photo%20Sep%2006,%207%2053%2042%20PM.jpg

1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

I'm late to the ride, but I just watched ep 1!!! I love it!! I find the plot and sets similar to 10,000 Peach Blossom!!! 

Is it going to have a happy or sad ending??? Jiu Chen and Ling Xi are so compatible!! They already have chemistry.

Happy ending.  Just would actually want it be longer so that you can see them together in their family life...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xunxine said:

About Chiu Jen costume and hair, I’m fine with it.  He looks good in mortal realm with the updo, the long locks flowing doesn’t bother me 

Anyways, Jiu Chen loves for Ling Xi is what made the series for me, love how he falls in love with her and always beside her... the man willingly give up his status for her, literally rips out his heart for her... lol.

What’s the one scene you always watch first when rewatching this drama?  I always came back to this scene, Chiu Jen puppy dog expression when he said ... but I came here w/ other intentions got me... :)

Photo%20Sep%2006,%207%2053%2042%20PM.jpg

I found his styling jarring for a hot second, but I was suckered in right away. The storyline had me from the moment she unfreezes him. I was like, "Hey, that man is sexy, despite the bad hair-do..." I just appreciate that an older, seasoned actor is used as the main lead as opposed to someone who looks like they're barely 20. The main lead pairing is magic to me.

• Like 1