[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

2 minutes ago, blueclueblue said:

I think he was surprised by her boldness with that bed scene but your comment cracks me up.:lol:

All of those years acting in Wong Kar-Wai's movies really pay off for Chang Chen.  Ni Ni never studied acting in a drama school as well. 

I usually don’t pay too much attention to acting technique or if an actor or actress graduated from an acting school or not since I am not that much of stickler for it.  Most importantly is that they able to bring the character to life. I also enjoy seeing series or movie of actor or actress that is not very good with acting but their charisma is more than make up for it.

On the same notes, apart from TVB acting school for HK, a lot of TW and Japanese actors and actresses are not having formal acting but they are able to act really well whereas China place a lot of emphasis on the important of it but not many are well acted.  It confuses me sometime like how is it possible.

An actor can study very hard even without attending any drama school. Sure it needs a lot of study but its something we all can do all alone. Acting schools just give you the techniques (depending on where you re studying), give you the chance to practice with others, you learn riding horses, swords fighting, orthophonics and many side needed things but you can do equally and sometimes much more if you study and observe and work your techniques next to directors who want to teach you.

Luckily for him, Chang comes from a family with 2 actors already (father and brother), so he had the chance to approach great directors from the beginning. So....no need to go to drama school and do the same old things, follow certain forms, cause he could create his own.

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her father was from the 'Dan Niao' tribe. Dan means  Crimson/Vermilion/Red and Niao means bird, so literally, Crimson Bird. The ancient chinese have used the phrase Dan Niao to also refer to the phoen

Sadly no subs.I am watching it raw and heard Viki did got the rights but Croton media cancelled it(I am not sure and if it's true then I don't get it why did they do this SMH!).On YouTube I saw one pe

Drama Trivial : Did you know...? That things aren't always what they appear to be? At least, not just one dimensional, nor just one meaning. There are nuances, symbolism and cultural/religious re

25 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Chang Chen looks a bit untrained many times (in other films too). The directors let him be that way and i have a personal explanation of why that happens: 

as a man, as a male figure, though his looks are not these of the typical macho fit, muscled man, he has a natural primitive sexual magnetism. Like an animal aura when it comes to the climax: male figure-sexual expression

(for example, Chen Kun has a more "gay" aura, he seems edgy and a bit hysterical, he looks somewhere in the middle when acting a male role.There are some things that we are born with)

That thing is being shown in a weird way sometimes. But that glance at her in that scene was really creepy :lol:

Personally i love dorky expressions of all actors. Something like that:

ECLYiNZUEAEa-0g?format=jpg&name=large

Not really sure if he does have weird expression but sometime, I think they have an edit issue where he stare for a long period of time.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

An actor can study very hard even without attending any drama school. Sure it needs a lot of study but its something we all can do all alone. Acting schools just give you the techniques (depending on where you re studying), give you the chance to practice with others, you learn riding horses, swords fighting, orthophonics and many side needed things but you can do equally and sometimes much more if you study and observe and work your techniques next to directors who want to teach you.

Luckily for him, Chang comes from a family with 2 actors already (father and brother), so he had the chance to approach great directors from the beginning. So....no need to go to drama school and do the same old things, follow certain forms, cause he could create his own.

I understand that attending a drama school helps you train and refine your acting.  I'm questioning the people that went to acting school and yet still not able to emote or act well. 

4 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Some comments under his goodbye post in weibo mention the same line:

"Chang you made the decision to play in a drama. We can't watch anything else. You have to take the responsibility "

:lol:

LMAO - so true - and I'm so happy Love and Destiny is being received so well! ^_^

@blueclueblue - some have an instinct for acting - even with no training - they can do a good job - some have instinct and train - they really shine and some take classes because they think it might help or have genuine interest but acting is not a mechanical thing - so not everyone can do it - since there's no "fixed" formula 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, blueclueblue said:

I understand that attending a drama school helps you train and refine your acting.  I'm questioning the people that went to acting school and yet still not able to emote or act well. 

Yeap that happens when you go study in a drama school and you do absolutely nothing with what you learn! 

@shimshimae I dont believe in talent. I mean i believe that we like certain things, we go and search for them inside us and outside, we study about them, sometimes we become professionals in them, but i dont think is so natural.

Everything you like very much, if you are devoted to it, and study it (in a school or all alone doesnt matter) makes you an expert.

But it needs hard work.

That being said, acting is indeed a combo of mechanisms and formulas (the previously mentioned acting techniques) that are contributing to what you form as an act.

Everything needs to be experienced as if you live it in actual time and space. Everything is choreographed so you have to study with your body and face and mind.

The effect must be shown as impulsive but from behind, it needs to be worked out very hard. 

The only "talent" i recognize in everything is the will we have to give all our efforts in it and make it as close to perfection as possible. 

We, as audience, cant always recognize the hard work of an actor, but we can imagine more clearly the whole thing when we think what a director does: when an actor has to only live his role, the director must create a whole new world, with materials and people, right from the beginning. Cinema in general is a magic world where multiple different world are created step by step and multiple realities come to life. 

btw, my withdrawal syndrome is getting worse

:tears:

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Yeap that happens when you go study in a drama school and you do absolutely nothing with what you learn! 

@shimshimae I dont believe in talent. I mean i believe that we like certain things, we go and search for them inside us and outside, we study about them, sometimes we become professionals in them, but i dont think is so natural.

Everything you like very much, if you are devoted to it, and study it (in a school or all alone doesnt matter) makes you an expert.

But it needs hard work.

That being said, acting is indeed a combo of mechanisms and formulas (the previously mentioned acting techniques) that are contributing to what you form as an act.

Everything needs to be experienced as if you live it in actual time and space. Everything is choreographed so you have to study with your body and face and mind.

The effect must be shown as impulsive but from behind, it needs to be worked out very hard. 

The only "talent" i recognize in everything is the will we have to give all our efforts in it and make it as close to perfection as possible. 

We, as audience, cant always recognize the hard work of an actor, but we can imagine more clearly the whole thing when we think what a director does: when an actor has to only live his role, the director must create a whole new world, with materials and people, right from the beginning. Cinema in general is a magic world where multiple different world are created step by step and multiple realities come to life. 

btw, my withdrawal syndrome is getting worse

:tears:

agree - I was more referring to those "idols" who think they can act lol

acting is a craft - which needs a lot of honing and fine-tuning like all other crafts and the techniques you mentioned help in that 

• Like 1

I'm dying to watch an interview of Chang Chen for L&D.  Hopefully some TW news outlet will do it.

Anyone knows why the China actor/ actress are being called " 老師 lao shi" but I noticed that Ni Ni call Chang Chen as "哥ge" and other cast members call Chang Chen as " 哥 ge" and Ni Ni as " 姐 jie".  Is this like a movie vs TV actor/ actress thing?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, blueclueblue said:

I'm dying to watch an interview of Chang Chen for L&D.  Hopefully some TW news outlet will do it.

Anyone knows why the China actor/ actress are being called " 老師 lao shi" but I noticed that Ni Ni call Chang Chen as "哥ge" and other cast members call Chang Chen as " 哥 ge" and Ni Ni as " 姐 jie".  Is this like a movie vs TV actor/ actress thing?

Laoshi is usually out of respect, sometimes you aren't close with the person, sometimes you might just hold that person in high esteem. Ge/Jie is more affectionate way of addressing them, since just using their names is somewhat rude, unless you are older than them.

Re: idols who have been in acting school but can't act. Sometimes it's more like they don't put in enough effort, just minimal to pass because they have the star power to keep the audience. Or they are rather one note with their acting, so you'll notice flaws if you watch multiples of their dramas or they are cast in a role that's out of their range.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, blueclueblue said:

You can't just call someone by their name it's rude unless you are older than them. You have to call their name followed by Lao Shi (if the person is older and very good at acting) or you can call their name followed by ge/jie (if you are about the same age or younger).

1 hour ago, Moon Malan said:

You can't just call someone by their name it's rude unless you are older than them. You have to call their name followed by Lao Shi (if the person is older and very good at acting) or you can call their name followed by ge/jie (if you are about the same age or younger).

This is a rule when you talk about someone to others, or you should follow it even when you talk directly to him?

21 hours ago, Vals Stor said:

This is a rule when you talk about someone to others, or you should follow it even when you talk directly to him?

Both situation you should follow the rule especially when you talk directly to him. In that interview director Lin calls Chang Chen by his name because she is the only person that can call CC by his name. 

http://www.xinhuanet.com/ent/2019-08/16/c_1124882206.htm

• Thanks 2

in a lot of these dramas, the female lead are usually either very narrow minded, overly sweet, overly annoying, or just down right stupid...

I thought LX was pretty well balanced, she's not the brightest lightbulb in the bunch, but she's not stupid either. she's innocent but have a daring side to her too, especially when it comes to love. 

Spirited LX in the first arc was never too much anything, she pursues him but never crosses any boundaries. she was cute and always herself, and I would argue that her petty nature is what's makes her different from the rest, she knows she petty, she knows shes pretty, but she she isn't arrogant about it. 

and then mature Amo, shes a lot more reserve than LX but she was not unlikable either, very sympathetic. 

and the two put together in the last arc I thought was very well balanced, she was her old petty and spirited self but mature enough to handle other aspects of her responsibility. 

also, NiNi's natural facial expression really sells the character..

and then there's Jiu Chen, I said it a lot but he's so well balanced in terms of responsibility and love. and that's true maturity right there. he knows what he want, he goes after it, but at the same time never neglecting his duties. and on top of that, he respects her. 

Chang Chen was just so right for this role, I can't imagine anyone else as Jiu Chen..

imma be so born now that this series is over :bawling:

please let them be in another drama together 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, sabinebiene said:

first of all: thank you everyone her for posting pics, videos and translations.may the high gods bless you ;)

i havent watched the ending yet, but am a bit sad to hear there will notbe an abundance of cuddling scenes.

didnt someone here think about writing some fanfiction about chang chen and nini? well, i had an idea...

actually the script had a fabulous ending planned with lots of affection and kissing, however during the filming nini is having more and more a hard time when she has scenes with cc... loses her professionalism... blushes whenever the have long eyecontact or stand close to each other, although theres 20 people fussing around them on set, she doesnt see or hear any of them when  lose to cc... obviously, this is very confusing and impractical for nini. cc is married after all.

so she is approaching her breaking point anyways and then realizes that soon they will be shooting the very long, very steamy, basically unheard of sexyness in a cdrama ending scenes and she panics and knows she must avoid that no matter what, to save her heart and dignity. she comes up witb some bs reason, maybe her reputation and portfolio as an actress and demands from the director to change the script. of course that doesnt go down well, but nini makes it very clear she will not back off. either change the script or she leaves she set, no matter that the production is almost finished and no matter the backlash from backing out of her contract. the script is changed. cc doesnt know any of this.

filming ends and theres a celebration, nini wanders off, wanting to be alone, sad its ending but looking forward to get away and put her heart back together. cc finds her. he jokes about feeling he missed out big time that the script was changed, he was sure it would have been a legendary piece of naughty moviehistory... he guesses the production team got scared of the censorship board and thats why they changed it. knowing nini will leave tomorrow morning anyways and not being able to bear anymore to deceive the man she lost her heart to, she decides to come clean with him. she faces him, really looks at him, where before she was always avoiding eye contact, takes his right hand, holding it between hers and speaks. that she demanded the script to be changed. that she wouldnt have been able to ACT that scene, only BE in that scene, the real her. and she couldnt stand that, knowing he would be acting. still, she knows she would obsess over maybe cc didnt act, maybe he likes me a little. having this on camera, for the world to see, everyone enjoying what brings her pain inside and she herself compulsivly watching and rewatching herself and him in passion. it would have been her doom, so she couldnt allow it to happen. her hands still holding his, her thumb rubs where he wears his wedding ring when not filming, then slowly lifts his hand and presses a soft kiss on that spot. letting go of the hand she says, i have great respect for you, i hope i never caused you trouble with my lack of professionalism. i learned a lot when working with you. thank you. 

and she walks away...

Wow. This is lovely. Girl, you can have my job. Exactly the kind of bittersweet angst I was envisioning. :relieved:

• Like 1

OK now I am going to give you guys a BIG surprise. Lin Mo of the mortal arc could probably be Mazu!!!

Her name is Lin Mo. She lives in a small fishing village. 

The following is from Wikipedia.

Mazu is a Chinese sea goddess also known by several other names and titles. She is the deified form of the purported historical Lin Mo or Lin Moniang, a Fujianese shamaness whose life span is traditionally dated from 960 to 987. Revered after her death as a tutelary deity of seafarers, including fishermen and sailors, her worship spread throughout China's coastal regions and overseas Chinese communities throughout Southeast Asia. She was thought to roam the seas, protecting her believers through miraculous interventions. She is now generally regarded by her believers as a powerful and benevolent Queen of Heaven. Mazuism is popular in Taiwan as the majority of Taiwanese are of Fujianese descent; her temple festival is a major event in the country, with the largest celebrations around her temples at Dajia and Beigang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazu

• Like 1

I cant believe I'm still having major withdrawals from this drama. I still reads all your comments thanks for still posting interview links etc. I'm gonna go watch this drama again. I miss Chang Chen so much so I'd thought I'd come share this video of him acting as snowball (The Secret Life of Pets). Isn't he so cute? He really matched being a rabbit since he kinda has rabbit teeth in the front.  (20 mins Video he evens sings a lil bit at the end its so funny!!!):wub: 

Zhang Zhen Snowball Voiceover (张震 As 超话)

Chang Chen in recording booth as Snowball

And heres a BTS posted from NiNi studio of JC kissing LX

https://m.weibo.cn/3014125367/4406592227769844

Also, I found this link last night of Love and Destiny Ost - Shuang Sheng (双笙) - The Sound of Forest Birds with eng subs such a lovely song.

• Like 3
  • Love 2