[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

DontEatMyKimchi

1 minute ago, jacquelinetan said:

San Ling Tribe - Maids gossiping

Maid 1: Sister Xiao Fu, why do you think our Prime Minister does not like our Princess Bao Qing?

SXF: How should I know?

Maid 1: I know ... Prime Minister like Princess Ling Xi

SXF: Princess Ling Xi is demure and kind hearted, who does not like her? I heard even the Heavens' God of War also likes her.

Maid 1: God of War? Isn't he too old?

HY: God of War is old? Why do you say that?

Maid 1: God of War is several thousand years old. He is even older than our Queen

SXF: We are all immortals, just take anyone, they will also be several thousands years old. This is not a concern. Furthermore, I have seen the God of War. He looked really young. Isn't that so, Hua Yan?

Jiu Chen sneaked behind Ling Xi

LX: Why are you here? You are the mighty God of War, you sneaked her and listen in to maids gossiping is not at all appropriate. Are you not afraid to be laughed at?

JC: San Ling Tribe is indeed a bird tribe. Everyone is really keen on gossiping.

LX: That is not the case. In terms of gossiping, the Heavens were to take second place, there is no one that can take first place. Just take the people under you like High Immortal Yun Feng then it Kai Yan and Si Ming, are they all a gossip expert. Shen Zhong, you did not come here officially, are you afraid someone will see you? It is be troublesome for you.

JC: Even if I wanted to sneak in, who will find out?

LX: Did you got found out once you entered?

JC: Who will find out if it wasn't because I wanted to give Baize (Xiao Bai) to you.

This interpretation is best based on my limited understanding of the language

Thank you so much for your efforts! Glad to know Wu Wan/Xiao Bai is alright :D 

JC is getting naughtier and naughtier lol - I really like this side of him - LX did awaken him - for wanting to make him take part in the family aspect of life - she should definitely take responsibility lol :D:D 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, vintage_chutzpah said:

Yes! I feel the same way with all you’ve said above. No tongue kissing allowed though, right, in Chinese dramas? 

Tongue kissing is very rare even in western dramas and movies.

Especially in Asian dramas, when we see even an open mouth-like in L&D we should be glad! :joy:

Kisses are awful in most of Asian shows! Closed mouths, open eyes of the girl, very cold things, brrrrrrr cringy!

TMOPB, Legen of Fuyao (as i ve seen in some scenes though i havent watched the whole drama)

and L&D are the good exceptions to the rule of bad kissing in these dramas!

(Chang Chen is a tongue kisser btw in his projects whenever its allowed. Hollywood kind of actor and how could he be otherway

when his acting "dad" was Wong Kar Wai hehe)

Funny moment: i was once reading comments in a drama page -cant remember which page- but it was for asian dramas. So, among 

viewers who commented there was a girl from Latin America. She was so angry and dissapointed cause of lack of intimacy in these dramas, that she wrote: "meh! you should ve seen our dramas! The girl would have already jump on his bed, make a jealousy scene and get on him to complete the scene" :lol:

9 minutes ago, Sugar doughtnut said:

I realize that logo is from Congji yuan, private mansion of Jiu chen. Maybe after they get married, they live at there. Hahaha. So sweet.

They should live away from everyone for a while in my opinion lol :D his private residence is the best option 

I remember in the early episodes when LX tries to pack a lot of stuff when they decide to go there due to the exile plan - JC closes up on her and tells her, "It is has everything, you only need to remember to bring yourself." I found that interaction - pretty hot :wub: was that his way of flirting lol

16 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Especially in Asian dramas, when we see even an open mouth-like in L&D we should be glad! :joy:

Kisses are awful in most of Asian shows! Closed mouths, open eyes of the girl, very cold things, brrrrrrr cringy!

TMOPB, Legen of Fuyao (as i ve seen in some scenes though i havent watched the whole drama)

(Chang Chen is a tongue kisser btw in his projects whenever its allowed. Hollywood kind of actor and how could he be otherway

Funny moment: i was once reading comments in a drama page -cant remember which page- but it was for asian dramas. So, among 

viewers who commented there was a girl from Latin America. She was so angry and dissapointed cause of lack of intimacy in these dramas, that she wrote: "meh! you should ve seen our dramas! The girl would have already jump on his bed, make a jealousy scene and get on him to complete the scene" :lol:

I didn't like Bai Qian's hesitation in TMOPB - it was annoying especially when Ye Hua was doing so much already and she herself does think she has "lustful" thoughts for him - but it's never exactly shown in her behaviour.

Amo is very much aware of JC's intentions - even when he just gives her a simple kiss (ep 42) her reaction such as anticipation shows her conflicted desire.

And yes, I find those awkward fake kisses in most dramas so cringe-worthy - takes so much after from good storytelling

21 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Latin dramas are usually very passionate I think, lol can understand her frustration lol

Didn't know Chang Chen is his protege lol but it makes sense

Please please please have a lot of happy OTP moments in the next 10 episodes 

That line of the maids while gossiping (in the scene where JC is hidding)

SXF: We are all immortals, just take anyone, they will also be several thousands years old. This is not a concern. Furthermore, I have seen the God of War. He looked really young. Isn't that so, Hua Yan?

is the appropriate answer to all these silly girls among L&D audience that are still complaining about Chang Chen's age (for god's sake)

:joy:

Ling Xi returned to the Heavens also meant that she had a triple promotion as she is now ranked High Immortal. The part where Yuan Tong smashed that "record" in front of Jiu Chen saying that the magical object that can restore the "record" is obsolete since the one who owns it (Ling Xi) is dead.

With her return even that magical object got restore and goes back to Ling Xi's wrist as a bracelet (so Wonder Woman feel). Hence, she was able to restore the "record". No wonder Jiu Chen did not look too worried when Yuan Tong smashed it. She can add Xiao Bai to her magical gifts too.

I just loved it when she said that in her new rank, it will be best to go and make some demands.

14 minutes ago, jacquelinetan said:

Ling Xi returned to the Heavens also meant that she had a triple promotion as she is now ranked High Immortal. The part where Yuan Tong smashed that "record" in front of Jiu Chen saying that the magical object that can restore the "record" is obsolete since the one who owns it (Ling Xi) is dead.

With her return even that magical object got restore and goes back to Ling Xi's wrist as a bracelet (so Wonder Woman feel). Hence, she was able to restore the "record". No wonder Jiu Chen did not look too worried when Yuan Tong smashed it. She can add Xiao Bai to her magical gifts too.

I just loved it when she said that in her new rank, it will be best to go and make some demands.

I love how our "silly bird" has grown from the time when she was so lax in learning to use that bracelet (the scene in peach forest when she makes hearts using it saying what is the need for this when God of War can protect me) to now when she wants to be able to protect herself and others :'D 

2 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

so much spoilers....they might as well throw us all the episodes.

I remember there is one part we saw in mv or smtg...Jiuchen was putting up some paper cutting of the wedding word "blissful"? If my guess is right, they plan to get marry as mortals for Ling Mo's parents. With Ling xi's good heart...i dont think she would have just not bother with her mortal parents...there should be some closure to that chapter...like get married and then fake a story like how they would be moving far off away. Lol.

I know right - I've never seen trailers showing actual scenes LOL and so many spoilers everywhere 

2 hours ago, Vals Stor said:

Lmao true i am watching his projects(after finishing "three times"next i watched - "The hand" )my god the scenes were so explicit and No one could have directed those moments so beautifully beside this man - Wong kar wai his way of storytelling is on different level.Beside his main muse - tony leung, chang chen is indeed a part of his magnificent filmmaking journey.

Agree about the intimate scenes (specially kisses)in asian dramas sometimes it look superficial  to me so I am glad its not the case with love and destiny cause man the way he stopped amo questioning by kissing her was done with so much emotions with the expressions of longingness in his eyes.

Like everyone else loving the new sides of both jiu chen and linxi tables has now turned lol our GOW is love sick :D

2 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

San Ling Tribe - Maids gossiping

Maid 1: Sister Xiao Fu, why do you think our Prime Minister does not like our Princess Bao Qing?

SXF: How should I know?

Maid 1: I know ... Prime Minister like Princess Ling Xi

SXF: Princess Ling Xi is demure and kind hearted, who does not like her? I heard even the Heavens' God of War also likes her.

Maid 1: God of War? Isn't he too old?

HY: God of War is old? Why do you say that?

Maid 1: God of War is several thousand years old. He is even older than our Queen

SXF: We are all immortals, just take anyone, they will also be several thousands years old. This is not a concern. Furthermore, I have seen the God of War. He looked really young. Isn't that so, Hua Yan?

Jiu Chen sneaked behind Ling Xi

LX: Why are you here? You are the mighty God of War, you sneaked her and listen in to maids gossiping is not at all appropriate. Are you not afraid to be laughed at?

JC: San Ling Tribe is indeed a bird tribe. Everyone is really keen on gossiping.

LX: That is not the case. In terms of gossiping, the Heavens were to take second place, there is no one that can take first place. Just take the people under you like High Immortal Yun Feng then it Kai Yan and Si Ming, are they all a gossip expert. Shen Zhong, you did not come here officially, are you afraid someone will see you? It will be troublesome for you.

JC: Even if I wanted to sneak in, who will find out?

LX: Did you got found out once you entered?

JC: Who will find out if it wasn't because I wanted to give Baize (Xiao Bai) to you.

This interpretation is best based on my limited understanding of the language

Thanks for all the translations. It's so nice to know what they are saying.:wub:

For anyone interested here's JC speaking eng for Cannes Jury Interview. He looks so good in this vid. Chang Chen Jia You.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:52 AM, skibbies said:

Someone asked about douban ratings few pages back and it's been answered that L&D is sitting 7.3. You can think of it as the Chinese IMDB for tv series, movies, documentaries, books, albums etc. In terms of ratings, I think 7 is decent for cdrama, they tend to be lower compared to jdramas, kdramas, 00s twdramas and 90s hkdramas. Largely due to overexposure and overpromotion, and cdrama have a slew of problems that cnetizens don't necessarily care to give dramas that make bad impression a chance. 7+ is the rating I might peek at a drama personally anyways. I find douban pretty helpful, since MDL is functionally useless to me. 8+ is almost guaranteed a peek, and you are lucky if you get one 9 a year. Last year's no.1 was 8.8 and no.2 was The Rise of Phoenixes' 8.2. Nirvana in Fire 2 is higher than 8.2 but it didn't make it into 2018 or 2017 year end list lol, I think due to it broadcasting over two years.

L&D opened at 5.4 I believe, the initial trailers left a fairly bad impression. Both Chang Chen and Ni Ni frequent in movies, which is a different circle from TV production, and very different production cycle. The reason people were calling Chang Chen old is due xianxia is an idol-esque genre, which targets teens + early twenties (women), and usually feature actors in their twenties. It's also somewhat looked down upon? or just not taken very seriously, so a lot of people were entirely confused why two movie stars picked the project. The main leads + supporting cast acted surprisingly well, and the script is unexpectedly decent, there's not much common annoying tropes. So a lot of people are rating it higher than they normally would, normally this drama is probably around 3 (OK) or 4 (recommended) stars, but they rate it as 5 (strong rec) stars, dragging the score up.

For comparison to other Summer blockbuster, we have the gorgeously produced and fresh concept, with a strong published novel base Longest Day of Chang'an at 8.6; the fantasty epic based on very popular books, unfortunately suffered cuts and broadcast issues, and at this point messy writing + characterisation Novoland: Eagle Flag at 6.8; fairly low-budget but also better than expected Mo Dao Zu Shi bromance adaptation the Untamed at 7.5 (it recently broke most people rating that was held previously by Nirvana in Fire. it opened at 4.8, so this is also a fan favourite); the incredibly popular romance/esport based on popular web novel Go Go Squid where all the esport bits were cut/replaced to broadcast on tv at 6.4 (it finished at 6.7, it's been downvoted since for reasons unrelated); super well done esport drama that's based on an incredibly popular WN the King's Avatar at 7.0. 

For comparisons to other xianxia, I'll just pick the three most notable ones, and most similar in plot/elements. 2015's Journey of Flower is 6.2, 2017's Ten Miles of Peach Blossom at 6.4, both of them were very very popular, but I haven't seen either because they both have plagiarism allegations (as do a number of other popular cdramas that has english subs which is SO frustrating). Last year's Ashes of Love is 7.7. L&D is similar enough in synopsis to the former two to attract some ire, the company's previous idea of using 3L3W's name also really didn't help, since it felt like L&D wanted to be a related title when it's really not, it's just they share a production team. The plot is isn't based on anything, which is pretty rare these days, but there were initial worries of xianxia fatigue/same old story told again.

This summer got lots of popular dramas cluster together due to earlier's historical drama restriction and the currently in effect 70th birthday celebration of PRC where more entertaining dramas can't broadcast on TV for 100 days. I haven't mentioned a couple other dramas that could have been a strong contender that were based on popular novels or they featured notable actors/actresses, since they didn't rate too well or they just started broadcasting. L&D is doing surprisingly well at the moment, but it also have the least amount of people rating it compared to all the other popular summer series or popular xianxia, that's not necessarily a bad thing, since too popular could attract downvoting. We'll see how it lands its ending.

This was such an interesting read.  Thanks very much for explaining and laying everything out and the comparisons to other dramas.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:34 AM, shimshimae said:

@raziela is this you from Queen for Seven Days? 

Hello! ~waves~  It is me!  Can you believe it was two years ago? 7DQ is still one of the best sageuks I've ever watched by the way! So nice to see you here. Seems like so many of us are migrating over to C-dramas now lol!

This is one of the scenes among many that shows the strong chemistry between Nini and Chang chen. I am thankful to the team for wonderful direction. NO over the top shocked expressions from female lead and man do i need to say anything about male lead. I would have melted lmao by seeing those eyes :D:wub: as if its staring my soul!

ed119fb7ly1g5i7q33jm8g20c0066e85.gif&key=bf45e15e20ca062b7413ffe94c700d14ae1924a6c45d7b9be1c551d4c833e402

Jiu Chen woke up and went to see his master. He thanked his master and apologised for any harm caused to his master's well-being because of the effort to revive him. His master is most understanding indicating it is something everyone goes through. His master asked whether the Little Immortal is at his palace and Jiu Chen sheepishly said No.

His master teased him that after all he had done, the Little Immortal did not even thank him and be at his side.

I like this Heavenly Emperor. He is very fatherly and is very clever in delegating all the Gods and Immortal around him to his favour. I loved it every time the God of Thunder complained about Jiu Chen, the Emperor always said he already knows. The best Heavenly Emperor I have seen. The one in Ten Miles of Peach Blossom was rather cowardly, the Ashes of Love is a real womaniser.

On the preview, I cannot help laughed that the people in Heavens are gossiping that Jiu Chen must be blind and a retard to be in love with Ling Xi.

1 hour ago, raziela said:

This was such an interesting read.  Thanks very much for explaining and laying everything out and the comparisons to other dramas.

Hello! ~waves~  It is me!  Can you believe it was two years ago? 7DQ is still one of the best sageuks I've ever watched by the way! So nice to see you here. Seems like so many of us are migrating over to C-dramas now lol!

Hello again! Nice to see you here ^_^ yes, 7DQ remains one of my favourites too!
haha, so true - my c-drama obsession is fairly recent (a couple of months old) - I didn't find TMOPB interesting when it realised back then but I was quite obsessed with it a month or so back and then I shifted to TROP and found Ni Ni :D I really like Nirvana in Fire (2015) as well 

50 minutes ago, jacquelinetan said:

Jiu Chen woke up and went to see his master. He thanked his master and apologised for any harm caused to his master's well-being because of the effort to revive him. His master is most understanding indicating it is something everyone goes through. His master asked whether the Little Immortal is at his palace and Jiu Chen sheepishly said No.

His master teased him that after all he had done, the Little Immortal did not even thank him and be at his side.

I like this Heavenly Emperor. He is very fatherly and is very clever in delegating all the Gods and Immortal around him to his favour. I loved it every time the God of Thunder complained about Jiu Chen, the Emperor always said he already knows. The best Heavenly Emperor I have seen. The one in Ten Miles of Peach Blossom was rather cowardly, the Ashes of Love is a real womaniser.

On the preview, I cannot help laughed that the people in Heavens are gossiping that Jiu Chen must be blind and a retard to be in love with Ling Xi.

me too! He seems worthy of his position unlike the other two whose flaws you rightly pointed out (I didn't like Ashes of Love that much - the plot and acting wasn't that good)

No wonder LX wants to prove herself - even during the exile plan - she was sorrowful about bringing shame and troubles to her family and the God of War 

Spoiler

I just watched a short video clip with the little girl-the same one who is pictured with JC&LX in that cute family pick. 

The boom operator is there and the the rec is on!

So this is an actual scene and not just a backstage, right?

Oh my! Is that the baby of JC and LX's?

:wub:

If Jiu Chen knew that Ling Xi felt burden because of his position as the God of War, he will probably resigned his post immediately. Unlike Ye Hua in the Ten Miles Peach Blossom he could do that because he is not inheriting a position. That is why Ye Hua wanted to fake his death while Jiu Chen at one time was going to pass his position to the God of Thunder.

Jiu Chen had always followed what was expected of him by his Master or Heavenly Emperor. It is only in Ling Xi case that he went against his Master's wishes but fortunately his Master understand it was also a "trial" Jiu Chen had to go through too.

After what the both of them have gone through, I think they will wished for a peaceful eternal life together.

Archived