[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

DontEatMyKimchi

15 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

I bet somebody on the writing team felt bad for Moyuan and found some inspiration :joy:

Moyan was almost as dull as Bai Qian (or Yang Mi in general).

They could hit the floor easily as characters if they were OTP!  He would remain silent playing his zither, she would be drinking, sleeping and feeling bored 24/7, and we could easily throw ourselves from windows, roofs etc

:lol:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, shimshimae said:

I think he's attracted to her from the beginning itself but he is God of War - so can't show emotion that easily - all the little things he does for LX make it pretty evident (magically slapping the guards that mistreat her, giving her that super important pill so that she recovers, personally caring for her, ensuring her silly compensation requests are met, letting her keep Wu Wan, etc etc etc) - I've watched till ep 18 - here are some of my thoughts:

LX sees herself kissing him in the future when she goes to get that cauldron thing - and then asks YF if it's possible to get close to high immortals such as himself (and JC) without their approval - for which he replies, of course not - so LX deduces JC let her get close to him - so it's implied consent (this little minx sleuth silly bird) - which is why I think she initiates the kiss (probably subconsciously since the barrier in her mind has been broken that JC is unreachable)

I think in the first arc, his position as God of War and subsequent image he carved out for himself really weighs on him - even Heavenly Emperor asks him (paraphrasing), "have you lost your mind? did you forget who you are??" (when JC wants to save LX) - so imagine how strong his feelings must be for her that he reached a point where he was willing to give up being the God of War (something he worked really hard to become at such a young age). I think he was able to come to that decision because he never had a reason to be anyone other than God of War - and now his reason (apart from protecting the six realms) is LX - keeping her alive. I don't think he realises it as "love" at this point - but it is very strong. He warms up to her - he likes that they have a pet together (Wu Wan listens to only the two of them) and her constant attention to him must be the closest thing to being a family he has ever experienced (he was orphaned very early etc etc). And he likes her chatter (he makes a joke that the bad consequence of saving her from Queen of West is to have to listen to her chatter every day). 

LX is this breath of honesty and raw purity he's never seen before - she's constantly doing great favours for him at the cost of her life (retrieving the war report, preparing and testing medicines for him and so on) - this silly bird is really amazing - she's a little fairy - what can she possibly do? but that never limits and she keeps doing one thing after the other (exchanging her hearing for fire essence) 

All this must have pushed him to pursue her unabashedly in the 2nd and 3rd arc - got to love that :D

Another thing which hit me was - he was able to plead for Yuan family just for the sake of duty.  That is like a foreshadowing of what he is capable of doing for someone he actually loves.  

very well put! 

I love how LX, even knowing that he was so much higher ranked than she was, was never afraid to speak her mind because she thought he was so righteous. So I think that's something he never saw from others before. even YT and YuLi, they went after him but never truly talked to him  like how LX  does. She is respectful but isn't afraid to just be herself. 

in arc one, when YF wanted to return his heart and he said LX would die, even YF could see that his every thought was on LX. but he said he did it before he was trying to right a wrong, not fully admitting his real feelings because he was so reserved because of his status. and he threw all that out the window in arc two. I think once he realize he'd die for her, there wasn't anything else that was gonna keep him from her. 

like the part where he said he was trying hard not to push YT into the pool like she did to her. he's such a high god, to even think  this far meant how much LX really means to him. 

and Wu wan, that part where he let LX name him whatever as long as she liked it was so damn cute. 

I think the only moment where he kinda almost let his cold duty hurt her was when that time he almost let he freeze to death.....and when she said she was sure he didn't mean it....that trust she had for him even when he almost killed her must have really twisted him up. 

14 minutes ago, blueclueblue said:

A lot of people are pitching idea on his farewell post to make another series with Ni Ni. We're not the only people that are going through a withdrawal, a lot of people in China are going through it too.

Oh, I bet. I'm so glad people aren't sleeping on this show in China, though it's still vastly underrated internationally. But what's the probability of something like that actually happening as a result of fans encouraging them? (This is a serious question btw, since I'm not that familiar with how things work in the c-ent industry.) It would be so awesome if they were that responsive to fan requests. Though I imagine the hype for another colab must have been just as strong after TMOPB ended, but Mark Chao and Yang Mi aren't teaming up again anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Moyan was almost as dull as Bai Qian (or Yang Mi in general).

They could hit the floor easily as characters if they were OTP!  He would remain silent playing his zither, she would be drinking, sleeping and feeling bored 24/7, and we could easily throw ourselves from windows, roofs etc

Oh see... I LOVED Moyuan. He was my weak spot. :love: Didn't care for Yehua much. Probably why TMOPB was never really my cup of tea. I had second-lead syndrome the entire time. You can imagine my excitement for L&D when it was initially announced, it was because I thought they were making a story for that other God of War who never got any action. 

15 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

Oh, I bet. I'm so glad people aren't sleeping on this show in China, though it's still vastly underrated internationally. But what's the probability of something like that actually happening as a result of fans encouraging them? (This is a serious question btw, since I'm not that familiar with how things work in the c-ent industry.) It would be so awesome if they were that responsive to fan requests. Though I imagine the hype for another colab must have been just as strong after TMOPB ended, but Mark Chao and Yang Mi aren't teaming up again anytime soon.

In terms of gaining money, there is the general rule internationally:

if they (the audience) want it, they ll buy it, then let's sell. Especially when there's nothing else of the same predicted access to make.

Show industry internationally, suffers from lack of creativity and new ideas.

But that depends on the high price that the first season is been sold, so they can afford the highly paid celebs. Sad-but true-money

makes the world go round, especially in show biz industry. It also depends on the co-producing or main channel that will buy the rights of the show, eg Netflix sometimes co-produces sequels or first made series with top stars, even though the previous companies-producers, cant afford it or deny to make it.

8 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

Oh see... I LOVED Moyuan. He was my weak spot. :love: Didn't care for Yehua much. Probably why TMOPB was never really my cup of tea. I had second-lead syndrome the entire time. You can imagine my excitement for L&D when it was initially announced, it was because I thought they were making a story for that other God of War who never got any action. 

Moyan would be fine with another lady character, more.....alive-may i put it this way

:joy:

6 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

In terms of gaining money, there is the general rule internationally:

if they (the audience) want it, they ll buy it, then let's sell. Especially when there's nothing else of the same predicted access to make.

Show industry internationally, suffers from lack of creativity and new ideas.

But that depends on the high price that the first season is been sold, so they can afford the highly paid celebs. Sad-but true-money

makes the world go round, especially in show biz industry. It also depends on the co-producing or main channel that will buy the rights of the show, eg Netflix sometimes co-produces sequels, even though the previous companies-producers, cant afford it or deny to make it.

Hah, ain't that the truth. Money does make the world go round, whether we like it or not.

Oh btw, I looked up what you mentioned about his other drama. Must have just been announced. Very curious to see what it will be. I wonder if there's romance. The female actress that's listed as the other lead (Chun Xia) is much younger than him. Is he just bound to play the Uncle-type? :joy: 

37 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

Hah, ain't that the truth. Money does make the world go round, whether we like it or not.

Oh btw, I looked up what you mentioned about his other drama. Must have just been announced. Very curious to see what it will be. I wonder if there's romance. The female actress that's listed as the other lead (Chun Xia) is much younger than him. Is he just bound to play the Uncle-type? :joy: 

high temp alert!  

giphy.gif

To be honest, he rarely shows in projects (movies up to now)

without having at least 2-3 strong intimacy scenes. His manager knows exactly what he/she 's doing, since he was young

(he was great back then, in a different way, but equally to how hot is now).

Kind of "a new Tony Leung is born" stuff!

My computer skills (and time) are so limited... So can I request for someone please to just cut out all the JC and LX scenes and put them together in movie form? I'm sure this will get heaps of clicks on YouTube.

I'll just watch it on reruns.

The three trials are life, love and death trials. The first is being separated from her family, the second and third is bit confusing because Si Ming refused to say, but I took it to mean Ah Mo realising JC likes LX, and death is just her dying painfully, but that would have gotten rid of the demon aura or whatever.

It's fairly unlikely we'll get the same team of people working on the another drama, and I personally would want a different genre of drama if it's just the two leads. Something republican era probably, they both look amazing in that. Contemporary will also work, but I'm struggling somewhat to think a good professional drama for them, cdrama doesn't write those that well.

Douban ratings doesn't really have influence on making sequels, ratings might help, but they essentially have to be MASSIVE hit (massive hit usually don't have that high of douban score btw....), and you have to be lucky, AND hope they don't bomb the sequel. It did reasonably well on iQiyi, but it could have gotten wider audience if it aired on TV, shame. It was far from the hit drama of the year, there were number of far more popular dramas in terms of buzz for various reasons, but it also didn't bomb. International influence doesn't have much say for cdramas, because Netflix is unavailable in China, it mostly just buys dramas as it sees fit, and helps spreading cdramas to non-drama watchers.

Zhang Ziyi's drama would actually been a pretty good fit for Chang Chen, the male lead is a general and otp is in a political marriage and learn to love each other through hardship and whatnot. Between that and L&D, I think most would expect that one to be better option. But it's a gossip rumour that he dropped that project for this, I think? Anyways, I'm not sure is it due to the tighter historical drama restriction or what, but that drama is still nowhere in sight, rip. Whereas this one was filmed last year and aired less than a year after being wrapped up, which is pretty fast.

Ni Ni should be filming a contemporary drama with Sun Li at the end of the year, she should be working some amazing actors again, so I hope she learns a lot and make good connections/impressions and get better projects. Since a lot of her earlier works aren't that great for various reasons. She did a minor role for an Andy Lau film in...March? Was in a play for half? a month in June in Shanghai. She'll be playing the same role for Wuzhen theatre festival in....uh I think it's early November? Currently she's doing a charity hike thing with Chen Kun.

@skibbiesThe way I see it was Lin Mo did go through the 3 trials, except she passed away and Jing Xiu resurrected her, thus she go through the love trial at the very end. 

The author for the article that I translated is being very negative toward Chang Chen that I didn't want to feed into it. Overall she doesn't think very highly of Chang Chen.  The things that she listed out such as he works with well-known directors, got nominated for the Golden Horse, dedicate his time to learn Ba Qi Quan but ended up with very little screen time in the final product, etc. are not praise but criticizing him.  Hence why he's in a tv series with Ni Ni and not someone like Zhang Zi Yi.  I feel like the person that wrote the article didn't do enough research but just want to create negative news.

Since I don't follow Zhang Zi Yi's news so I don't really know much the timeline with the casting and announcement but L&D team reach out to Chang Chen for the role of Jiu Chen.  You can read the articles I translated or link to it.

2 hours ago, Vals Stor said:

high temp alert!  

giphy.gif

To be honest, he rarely shows in projects (movies up to now)

without having at least 2-3 strong intimacy scenes. His manager knows exactly what he/she 's doing, since he was young

(he was great back then, in a different way, but equally to how hot is now).

Kind of "a new Tony Leung is born" stuff!

Not sure if it's you or someone else that mentioned about BTS, bloopers are going to start popping and what not.

I watched a video and was going to do a post but since you mentioned it, I just drop it here.

In one of his talk show appearance (娱乐百分百), Chang Chen mentioned that filming bed scenes are not hard for him and he doesn't have any issues with it even with the crews members are around.  However Tony Leung is still a master when it comes to bed scenes.  It's all about angles.  He has being learning from the best since the age of 20.

I really  love how all the comments are "we're from L&D" :lol:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av26060132?from=search&seid=7603287494534488028

If anyone want me to translated, let me know. 

10 hours ago, Vals Stor said:

I can deal with that "never fall in love before" but not even sex? They pushed it to the limits i think!

Not just a sex, maybe just a lip kiss he never do it. Everything with LX its first time. When LX kiss him first he like stone :joy: 

Virgin old dragon :D

I've always thought Zhang Zi Yi wooden so I really don't see what they are talking about her outshining him. Not even bring out out the big guns like Gong Li or those old time Hong Kong actresses, of her age range, so many are much better, Zhou Xun for example. 

I think in this drama, there are some moments where he was not as natural and I blame it on him not used to TV film making but scenes that require nuances he was so great. It's in the eyes, and the comparison with Tony Leung were apt enough. They both got beautiful, very expressive eyes. The last scene where he was holding his family in his arms and the way he looked at her just broke my heart. There was tenderness but also much pain and sadness about them, you can just imagine the things he went through to get back to her. 

After that scenes, I took it as a bittersweet ending, there is noway he was as unscathed as his smile showed

8 hours ago, blueclueblue said:

From my understanding of the conversation with his Shi Fu, he was given the role of God of War because of his maturity and ability to descent to High God at a young age.  He was born a normal immortal and not one that can be the God of War.

You are right - it was also mentioned (now I don't remember which scene exactly since I'm all eagle-eyed about OTP scenes only) - that because his parents were killed by demons - so, he wanted to protect the six realms and get rid of demons - that seems to be his life-mission until LX showed up. He's also said to be an angry God of War (his shifu comments on his improved temperament) 

I'm with @Alice_in_a_rabbithole - no sequels please (don't want to see them go through anything else) - just release more footage and unaired scenes and BTS 

@blueclueblue please translate the interview! :D

22 minutes ago, shimshimae said:

You are right - it was also mentioned (now I don't remember which scene exactly since I'm all eagle-eyed about OTP scenes only) - that because his parents were killed by demons - so, he wanted to protect the six realms and get rid of demons - that seems to be his life-mission until LX showed up. He's also said to be an angry God of War (his shifu comments on his improved temperament) 

I'm with @Alice_in_a_rabbithole - no sequels please (don't want to see them go through anything else) - just realise more footage and unaired scenes and BTS 

@blueclueblue please translate the interview! :D

I agrees with you, no sequels. Also don’t want to see them go through any hardship. But I would love an epilogue, an adventure of their daughter and Wu Wan. Or just to see how all the other characters’ lives and how JC escaped as well.

7 hours ago, blueclueblue said:

Please watch this.  It has some of the drama cliches but it got handle very differently.  If you're not into love triangle, long drawn out misunderstanding or just fluff and no substance romance then this is for you.

I’ve beeb watching this drama. I’ve watched it with sub and without sub. So much that I think my Mandarin has improved a bit lol.

You right about it not drawn out. To me it cover some of the flaws from TMoP, such as a male lead who’s so crazy about love that he threw away his responsibilities, and a female lead who can’t handle a loss love.

I enjoys this drama more!

On 8/19/2019 at 1:15 PM, DramaLover said:

I’m stumped watching a re-run, and need your help... what are the three trials in the mortal arc?

First was her dad trying to kill her. 

Second ....? (dying in JX arms?)

Third was A’Mo learning about Ling Xi and dying in JC’s arms

Hi! Based on my understanding, LX had to undergo three 'trials' or Jie in order to wash the evil miasma or air and defeat the Demon King. The first being a Sheng Jie or a Living Trial (don't know how to correctly translate it) basically she'll undergo an arduous trial (be betrayed and almost killed by the one person who she loved and adored most, her human father) but following which, she'll live. 

The next two are a bit complicated. LX had to undergo a death trial (Si Jie), the part where she gets very sick and starts coughing up blood. 

But LX/LM also had to undergo a relationship trial or Qing Jie, where she dies believing that JC doesn't love her Lin Mo, but this other woman Ling Xi. So she asks him, is the person he's been waiting for LX and not her and that all her life was JC just accompanying her to wait for her to die, so Ling Xi could come back?

Which is why she went into this speech saying she's also a person, with family members, people she cares about and she has a whole life that she lived. How can her life just be cruelly termed 'fake' and a 'trial' for someone else. How can the person she love so much actually not love her, but also just be hanging around her waiting for her to die. She loves him wholeheartedly and when she asks him if he's ever loved Lin Mo, JC just tells her to be a good girl and give him the life-saving pearl. And she does because she loves him but she dies believing that JC never truly loved her as Lin Mo. 

That's also why Si Ming was reluctant and refused to tell JC about the details of Lin Mo's third trial because it concerned JC as well. Methinks Si Ming knew JC wouldn't be able to cope with being another person that inflicts pain and suffering onto Lin Mo, and that JC wouldn't stick to the script LOL

Also! When JC meets his Shifu, his Shifu tells him it was a trial for LX but also for JC as well. Cause I believe he really did love Lin Mo and cherished all the time he spent with her in the mortal world. 

Archived