[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Love and Destiny 三生三世宸汐缘

DontEatMyKimchi

1 hour ago, CatWhiskers said:

Lol...Whoever in for the rewatch...lets do episode 1-10 by Friday and air your thoughts here.could be opinions...or some details missed...etc... Since some of us are up to episode 10 already. 

By the way, I rewatched up to episode 3. Does anyone think that Jiuchen is also attracted to ling xi's pretty face at first sight? Or at least acknowledge that she is pretty? I mean he is a male. Physical beauty has to account to it. And it is quite obvious lingxi is very pretty 

Hm.....up to episode 3, he is not even functioning well as a "human" being. 

I mean, the man is going through a post metatraumatic syndrome from the great battle, then he was in some kind of koma for 50.000 years, then he suddenly awakes , he needed time to adjust. He 's wandering around like a monk in a shock of the material world.

He seems like a fish outside water, on the one hand he is trying to catch up with everything, ask everyone about what happened all these years, but he is physically and mentally very weak. 

I think that the first thing that surprised him of LX 's behavior was her courage to look him straight in the eyes and speak her opinion about everything. No god is used to that kind of behavior. 

She even demanded from him to thank her for saving his life when he got frozen that night. So, his first reaction towards her, is to be surprised. He finds her special from the beginning, but not as a woman nor in a positive/negative way. Just special.

Gradually, as time goes by, he starts to smile cause of her spontaneous reactions, he even laughs and so on....

And let's not forget his inner personality, who is a man introverted, silent, serious all the time, a lonewolf. 

Did i mention how hot he is, no matter his behavior?

:relaxed:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, CatWhiskers said:

Lol...Whoever in for the rewatch...lets do episode 1-10 by Friday and air your thoughts here.could be opinions...or some details missed...etc... Since some of us are up to episode 10 already. 

By the way, I rewatched up to episode 3. Does anyone think that Jiuchen is also attracted to ling xi's pretty face at first sight? Or at least acknowledge that she is pretty? I mean he is a male. Physical beauty has to account to it. And it is quite obvious lingxi is very pretty 

I think he's attracted to her from the beginning itself but he is God of War - so can't show emotion that easily - all the little things he does for LX make it pretty evident (magically slapping the guards that mistreat her, giving her that super important pill so that she recovers, personally caring for her, ensuring her silly compensation requests are met, letting her keep Wu Wan, etc etc etc) - I've watched till ep 18 - here are some of my thoughts:

LX sees herself kissing him in the future when she goes to get that cauldron thing - and then asks YF if it's possible to get close to high immortals such as himself (and JC) without their approval - for which he replies, of course not - so LX deduces JC let her get close to him - so it's implied consent (this little minx sleuth silly bird) - which is why I think she initiates the kiss (probably subconsciously since the barrier in her mind has been broken that JC is unreachable)

I think in the first arc, his position as God of War and subsequent image he carved out for himself really weighs on him - even Heavenly Emperor asks him (paraphrasing), "have you lost your mind? did you forget who you are??" (when JC wants to save LX) - so imagine how strong his feelings must be for her that he reached a point where he was willing to give up being the God of War (something he worked really hard to become at such a young age). I think he was able to come to that decision because he never had a reason to be anyone other than God of War - and now his reason (apart from protecting the six realms) is LX - keeping her alive. I don't think he realises it as "love" at this point - but it is very strong. He warms up to her - he likes that they have a pet together (Wu Wan listens to only the two of them) and her constant attention to him must be the closest thing to being a family he has ever experienced (he was orphaned very early etc etc). And he likes her chatter (he makes a joke that the bad consequence of saving her from Queen of West is to have to listen to her chatter every day). 

LX is this breath of honesty and raw purity he's never seen before - she's constantly doing great favours for him at the cost of her life (retrieving the war report, preparing and testing medicines for him and so on) - this silly bird is really amazing - she's a little fairy - what can she possibly do? but that never limits and she keeps doing one thing after the other (exchanging her hearing for fire essence) 

All this must have pushed him to pursue her unabashedly in the 2nd and 3rd arc - got to love that :D

Another thing which hit me was - he was able to plead for Yuan family just for the sake of duty.  That is like a foreshadowing of what he is capable of doing for someone he actually loves.  

If it gets super high rating, is there a chance to have another season? I mean, in western dramas, this happens when there's huge correspondence from the audience, even if the first contract is for one season

High hopes do i have?

:love:

3 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

Well, I skipped all of JX scenes since I don't like his characters.  I can always rewatch for our leads.  I didn't notice that he was very aware of her presence and asked about her whereabouts a few times in the earlier episodes.

I think he does think that she's pretty but not drop dead gorgeous.

I'm standing by my stance that it's her characters that wow him since episode 1.

1 hour ago, Winterfairy said:

Is that good? That sounds good! More people need to vote for this drama. 

Please watch this.  It has some of the drama cliches but it got handle very differently.  If you're not into love triangle, long drawn out misunderstanding or just fluff and no substance romance then this is for you.

46 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

If it gets super high rating, is there a chance to have another season? I mean, in western dramas, this happens when there's huge correspondence from the audience, even if the first contract is for one season

High hopes do i have?

:love:

I'm gonna guess that the reason we even have Love & Destiny is due to the positive reception of TMOPB. The team wanted to make a follow-up but couldn't exactly make a sequel to Yehua and Bai Qian's story since there would be no point. So they crafted a spin-off. Plus, the chance of getting top stars like Yang Mi, Mark Chao, Ni Ni, or Chang Chen to commit to sequels of this kind is like zero to none. Our only hope is that the same team will continue to make dramas of this quality and make the same superb casting choices. Although, L&D is definitely one of those rare cases. I would be shocked if we get another drama from this genre with such high quality acting from BOTH leads anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

I'm gonna guess that the reason we even have Love & Destiny is due to the positive reception of TMOPB. The team wanted to make a follow-up but couldn't exactly make a sequel to Yehua and Bai Qian's story since there would be no point. So they crafted a spin-off. Plus, the chance of getting top stars like Yang Mi, Mark Chao, Ni Ni, or Chang Chen to commit to sequels of this kind is like zero to none. Our only hope is that the same team will continue to make dramas of this quality and make the same superb casting choices. Although, L&D is definitely one of those rare cases. I would be shocked if we get another drama from this genre with such high quality acting from BOTH leads anytime soon. 

Yes yes may the shock you and make me happy! :joy:

(i dont know....i just have only the western dramas criteria where its not that rare to make sequels out of nothing with famous celebs)

5 hours ago, blueclueblue said:

This is a pretty good article; it covers a lot of topic, how Chang Chen starts and such, why movie stars like Zhang ZiYi, Tang Wei and Zhou Xun are making tv series.  I'll post the translation later.

I don't agree with the last bit of the article, it said that Chang Chen didn't want to be in Zhang Zi Yi's debut TV series Monarch Industry ( 帝凰业 ) because he couldn't outshine her. 

Since I don't really follow the news very closely but I remember reading it that they couldn't start the filming because they couldn't find the male lead. Zhang Zi Yi selected Zhou Yi Wei  as the male lead because she likes him in Brotherhood of Blades and he was on her reality tv series Birth of an Actor 演员的诞生. 

I personally don't watch all of Zhang Zi Yi's movies, she didn't give me a good impression in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.   

Title of the article: Chang Chen refuses to co-star with Zhang Zi Yi: Money issue

Since the whole article more or less in a negative tone with Chang Chen choice for agreeing to be in L&D, I’m just summarizes some of the points. 

She starts it off with criticizing the teaser trailer.

Then the article talks about how lucky he is to be working with well known directors and get signed under Wong Kar-Wai’s production company (Jet Tone).  Chang Chen missed out an opportunity to be a star because he chose to be an actor; and missed out opportunities to be in good movies because of his contract with Jet Tone.

It’s through Gong Li that Chang Chen understand what’s considered a good performance.  (Something he admitted himself, Gong Li influence him to take acting more serious)

Only until with the movie Three times that he finally got nominated for the Golden Horse’s Best Actor.

He spent time learned Ba Ji quan for The Grandmaster but only for it to be cut at the end.

Big name directors like to work with him because of his simple/uncomplicated/rustic character. (Just my opinion, but I feel like he’s still experimenting with his acting.)

Movies stars like Zhou Xun, Zhang ZiYi, Tang Wei and even Chang Chen are making tv series because the movie market is drying up. 

With him now married with kid, he should take his wife advice and to take a role that he does like but other does.

The reason why Chang Chen chose to star with Ni Ni in Love and Destiny because he knew he couldn’t outshine Zhang Zi Yi

19 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

They actually started the script for L&D while filming TMOPB.  They wrote the role of Jiu Chen with Chang Chen in mind. I read too many articles about this series.

10 minutes ago, Vals Stor said:

Yes yes may the shock you and make me happy! :joy:

(i dont know....i just have only the western dramas criteria where its not that rare to make sequels out of nothing with famous celebs)

Haha, I totally get your sentiment. I'm in the midst of withdrawals too. But do you really want to see a sequel to L&D? I thought it ended beautifully. I feel like a sequel would not only be unnecessary but may ruin the effects of the first. I mean, what other problems do our leads need to be put through? :joy: On the other hand, if this had ended tragically or with an open ending, then I could see the possibility for continuation. But even then, I remember when they made a sequel to the ultra-popular Scarlet Heart (*spoiler* it was a sad ending)... oh boy...... that was a colossal mess.

I would love to see Ni Ni and Chang Chen take on more historical dramas, which I can definitely see happening. Although knowing Chang Chen's style, it'll probably be more serious stuff. I'm sure we'll see Ni Ni in more romances in the future, her star-power is explosive at this point.

2 hours ago, shimshimae said:

I think he's attracted to her from the beginning itself but he is God of War - so can't show emotion that easily - all the little things he does for LX make it pretty evident (magically slapping the guards that mistreat her, giving her that super important pill so that she recovers, personally caring for her, ensuring her silly compensation requests are met, letting her keep Wu Wan, etc etc etc) - I've watched till ep 18 - here are some of my thoughts:

LX sees herself kissing him in the future when she goes to get that cauldron thing - and then asks YF if it's possible to get close to high immortals such as himself (and JC) without their approval - for which he replies, of course not - so LX deduces JC let her get close to him - so it's implied consent (this little minx sleuth silly bird) - which is why I think she initiates the kiss (probably subconsciously since the barrier in her mind has been broken that JC is unreachable)

I think in the first arc, his position as God of War and subsequent image he carved out for himself really weighs on him - even Heavenly Emperor asks him (paraphrasing), "have you lost your mind? did you forget who you are??" (when JC wants to save LX) - so imagine how strong his feelings must be for her that he reached a point where he was willing to give up being the God of War (something he worked really hard to become at such a young age). I think he was able to come to that decision because he never had a reason to be anyone other than God of War - and now his reason (apart from protecting the six realms) is LX - keeping her alive. I don't think he realises it as "love" at this point - but it is very strong. He warms up to her - he likes that they have a pet together (Wu Wan listens to only the two of them) and her constant attention to him must be the closest thing to being a family he has ever experienced (he was orphaned very early etc etc). And he likes her chatter (he makes a joke that the bad consequence of saving her from Queen of West is to have to listen to her chatter every day). 

LX is this breath of honesty and raw purity he's never seen before - she's constantly doing great favours for him at the cost of her life (retrieving the war report, preparing and testing medicines for him and so on) - this silly bird is really amazing - she's a little fairy - what can she possibly do? but that never limits and she keeps doing one thing after the other (exchanging her hearing for fire essence) 

All this must have pushed him to pursue her unabashedly in the 2nd and 3rd arc - got to love that :D

Another thing which hit me was - he was able to plead for Yuan family just for the sake of duty.  That is like a foreshadowing of what he is capable of doing for someone he actually loves.  

From my understanding of the conversation with his Shi Fu, he was given the role of God of War because of his maturity and ability to descent to High God at a young age.  He was born a normal immortal and not one that can be the God of War.

14 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

Haha, I totally get your sentiment. I'm in the midst of withdrawals too. But do you really want to see a sequel to L&D? I thought it ended beautifully. I feel like a sequel would not only be unnecessary but may ruin the effects of the first. I mean, what other problems do our leads need to be put through? :joy: On the other hand, if this had ended tragically or with an open ending, then I could see the possibility for continuation. But even then, I remember when they made a sequel to the ultra-popular Scarlet Heart (*spoiler* it was a sad ending)... oh boy...... that was a colossal mess.

I would love to see Ni Ni and Chang Chen take on more historical dramas, which I can definitely see happening. Although knowing Chang Chen's style, it'll probably be more serious stuff. I'm sure we'll see Ni Ni in more romances in the future, her star-power is explosive at this point.

aaaaaaa i dont care for a sequel of L&D in particular!

I 'd be ultra extra fine with the same couple in another drama, historical or not! But, since i know nothing about eastern show industry, i have no idea if that has more chances to happen than an L&D sequel!

Truth is, that if a producing team wants (and can assure their benefits) a sequel, they make new stories out of their stomach-literally- but the result is rarely good, of course there are exceptions to the rule.

Yes yes i definitely prefer another drama with these 2!

(otherwise, i won't have any choice but burden you with my chatter for making that fanfic and feed all of us, like hungry children that pull their mother's skirt crying loudly.....you wouldn't want this to happen

would you?)

:joy:

*in fact, Chang Chen  is already shooting a new drama, dont know if historical or not, but imbd has already the title and his co-star

11 hours ago, shimshimae said:

These sound right 

Thanks!  Yes, I now recall that Si Ming did touch on that when he was telling JC the types of tribulations in the mortal world.

This happened in SM’s palace when JC was watching A’Mo on the “big screen” and trying to grill SM what forthcoming trials she may face. 

10 minutes ago, Alice_in_a_rabbithole said:

A lot of people are pitching idea on his farewell post to make another series with Ni Ni. We're not the only people that are going through a withdrawal, a lot of people in China are going through it too.

Archived