Li Yuanbing

Yue Lina

Qiu Kaiwei Darren

Dai Xiangyu

Xiang Yun

Jeffrey Xu

Fan Chengcheng

Synopsis:

This is a remake of the immensely popular 2008 Singapore drama of the same name. It is jointly produced by Changxin Pictures, G.H.Y Culture & Media (Singapore) and iQiyi.

The drama spans several generations of a wealthy Peranakan/Straits-born Chinese family in Malacca. Yue Niang, a beautiful and strong-willed Nonya refuses to be consigned to her lowborn status in life and sets out to change her destiny. Will she succeed in finding her happiness?

Episodes:

Behind-The-Scenes:

BTS of the extensive preparation before shooting began. 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4294240324462434

News articles:

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/xiang-yun-dai-xiang-yu-jeffrey-xu-star-remake-little-nyonya-115043688.html

https://variety.com/2018/tv/asia/awakening-chinese-remake-singapore-little-nyonya-1202978115/

https://www.8days.sg/sceneandheard/entertainment/ex-ch-8-actor-dai-xiangyu-is-starring-in-the-little-nyonya-10817110

https://medium.com/sgmci/meet-the-storyteller-334dcef5dfd7

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/scriptwriter-behind-little-nyonya-pushed-show-be-made-amid-scepticism

Trivia:

1. This is the first Mainland Chinese drama to be directed by Singaporeans.

2. The script is penned by Ang Eng Tee, the same writer who wrote the screenplay of the original drama. He has shared that the reboot will develop the stories of some characters more fully than the original.

3. Two members of the cast,  Dai Xiangyu and Xiang Yun, formerly acted in the original drama. Dai Xiangyu reprised his role while Xiangyu switched from the underdog Tian Lan to the powerful matriarch.

4. The costume designer, Chen Minzheng, has won many awards for his work in "Empresses In The Palace", "The Legend of Mi Yue“ and Zhang Yimou’s film "Shadow".

Rules of Soompi:
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

Shane Xiao Yan plays Yue Niang / Ju Xiang

image.jpg

Ryan Kou Jiarui (left) plays Chen Xi. Darren Qiu Kaiwei (right) plays Chen Sheng.

image.jpg

Dai Xiangyu plays Yamamoto Yousuke

image.jpg

Niu Beiren (left) plays Liu Yidao. Fang Chengcheng (right) plays Ah Tao.

image.jpg

This is probably the most unexpected adaptation news I've seen in a while. As someone who comes from a baba/nyona descent and has also watched the original I wonder how this adaptation will fare with the original. 

Hi @Myokie

Nice to meet someone who has watched the original. The writer said in previous interviews that he had regretted on hindsight not giving the drama a happy ending. I wonder if it will end differently in the reboot.

Initially, I wasn't sure about the female lead as she is a relative unknown but she subsequently impressed me in The Legends. I think she can do justice to the role despite her youth.

If any other Soompi members here have watched the original, do chime in with your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, bluehibiscus said:

Hi @Myokie

Nice to meet someone who has watched the original. The writer said in previous interviews that he had regretted on hindsight not giving the drama a happy ending. I wonder if it will end differently in the reboot.

Initially, I wasn't sure about the female lead as she is a relative unknown but she subsequently impressed me in The Legends. I think she can do justice to the role despite her youth.

If any other Soompi members here have watched the original, do chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks for the updates.  I don't know anything about the original or the remake or the subject matter but I'll keep my eye on this one as I was very impressed by Xiao Yan Shane in The Legends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was introduced to this by my late mom & I LOVED it. 

It's probably the only decent drama to ever come out of S'pore. I really loved the original cast, plot in particular the highlight into the Peranakan culture, food, fashion etc. 

Interesting the actor who portrayed the Japanese love interest reprises his role in this remake. Lookin' forward to this. 

The original was such a memorable drama that the theme song automatically played in my head when I saw this thread lol. I remember hating on Zhenzhu and wondered how she and Yuzhu could be sisters. One is spoiled and selfish, the other is kind-hearted. Actually, I really hated their annoying family in general.

I don’t think I’ve seen a more iconic villain duo than Charlie and Robert Zhang in Mandarin-speaking drama. Like father, like son. I wonder if they’ll make significant changes to their characters or if they’re going to make them even worse.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, Myokie said:

This is probably the most unexpected adaptation news I've seen in a while.

Indeed, it is!

What a pleasant surprise! It was one of my mom's fave dramas, and I was somehow dragged into watching it (while she rewatches) years later, lol.  Anyway, it's about time for a remake, or for an entirely new plot in that theme and within the Peranakan culture. Love the sets and the costumes. I do hope to see more of their cuisine, too.

While this cast isn't a dream cast to me, let's hope they, and the drama proper, will not disappoint. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived