[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 New Korean Dramas—And Second Seasons—To Patiently Wait For In 2020

The King: The Eternal Monarch

The stars: Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun

The sitch: The drama will feature two parallel universes: a monarchy and a democracy. Soompi reports that Lee Min Ho will play an emperor who tries to close the door between the two worlds, while Kim Go Eun will take on the role of a detective who works with the emperor to protect people's lives.

EGVhH6NVAAAtu94.jpg

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/2020-new-korean-dramas-a2520-20191008

• Like 6

On 10/6/2019 at 10:26 AM, CarolynH said:

Thanks @syntyche for all the updates.:thumbsup:  Have I missed something or is there no romantic interest for Lee Gon?

Hi @CarolynH. Looks like Lee Gon will be involved in a love triangle:

"Jung Eun Chae plays Gu Seo Ryung, the youngest female prime minister of the Korean monarchy under Lee Gon. Gu Seo Ryung pursues success at all costs and makes her new target the emperor, creating tension between Lee Gon and Jung Tae Eul."

https://www.soompi.com/article/1333595wpp/kim-eun-sooks-upcoming-fantasy-romance-adds-jung-eun-chae-to-cast-lineup

• Like 6

I can’t sleep (hopefully what I’m writing makes sense lol) so I did some intel on whether Netflix is picking up the King. There’s a list of upcoming shows late 2019 and early 2020, on Netflix but The King is not on the list.  :grimace:.  I wonder how early Viki and Netflix license the dramas?  I have Viki basic but I’m sure I would need to upgrade to watch the King.  I also wonder if that March 2020 is a solid date.  If it’s preproduced, there sure isn’t a lot of lead time between when I’d think filming would end (January) and the start of the drama.  Just my rambling lol.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, CarolynH2 said:

I can’t sleep (hopefully what I’m writing makes sense lol) so I did some intel on whether Netflix is picking up the King. There’s a list of upcoming shows late 2019 and early 2020, on Netflix but The King is not on the list.  :grimace:.  I wonder how early Viki and Netflix license the dramas?  I have Viki basic but I’m sure I would need to upgrade to watch the King.  I also wonder if that March 2020 is a solid date.  If it’s preproduced, there sure isn’t a lot of lead time between when I’d think filming would end (January) and the start of the drama.  Just my rambling lol.

@CarolynH2 arghh oh no ! I have high expectations that it would be on Netflix. 
LOTBS is finally on Netflix starting today in my region so I thought it must be good sign that they are promoting LMH before airing his new drama. Ahhh ...all wishful thinking ...

finger crossed ! 
hope you get some sleep tonight :P

• Like 5

Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun's "The King" Start Shooting Today in Chungcheong

0000638551_001_20191024153905189.jpg?typ

SBS drama "The King: The Eternal Monarch," to be aired next year, made its first shoot on Thursday in a town in North Chungcheong Province, one of the main sets.

The filming site is a two-storey house with a large yard and a stand-out signboard which says, "Heroes Taekwando Studio" installed by the production team. It is known as the home of Kim Go-eun's character, a detective. The characteristic of this house is a high ginkgo tree nestling in one corner of the wide yard.

0000638551_002_20191024153905242.jpg?typ

Since it will be broadcast in 2020, filming of the drama will be completed by first half of next year. The producers reportedly set the "house with a ginkgo tree" on the condition of their choice for the drama's location casting. As such, ginkgo trees in the drama are expected to be used as important objects.

Kim Eun-sook's new work "The King: The Eternal Monarch" is a drama about a romance between Lee Gwa-hyung, the emperor of the Korean Empire, and Moon Gwa-hyung, a Korean detective who tries to protect someone's life, people, and love. Lee Min-ho, the emperor of the Korean Empire, plays the role of "Lee Gon," a detective of the Republic of Korea. Other stars include Woo Do-hwan, Lee Jung-jin, Kim Kyung-nam and Jung Eun-chae.

The King: The Eternal Monarch" is scheduled to air on SBS in 2020.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/144/0000638551

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

94247ff0feaf4241beff5f619e429c41.jpeg?s=

Lee Min Ho And Kim Go Eun’s Upcoming Fantasy Drama Begins Filming

Oct 24, 2019
by D. Kim

Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun’s new drama “The King: The Eternal Monarch” (literal title) has started filming!

Written by Kim Eun Sook, “The King: The Eternal Monarch” is about two parallel universes of a monarchy and a democracy. Lee Min Ho will play Emperor Lee Gon, who tries to close the door between the two worlds, while Kim Go Eun will take on the role of detective Jung Tae Eul, who works with the emperor to protect people’s lives.

Sports Kyunghyang reported that the upcoming SBS drama began filming on October 24 in North Chungcheong Province at one of the main sets for the drama.

The set is a two-storey house with a spacious backyard that has a large gingko tree and a sign that says, “Heroes Taekwondo Studio.” This setting is said to be the home of Kim Go Eun’s character.

“The King: The Eternal Monarch” is scheduled to conclude filming in early 2020 and premiere within the first half of the year via SBS.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1361146wpp/lee-min-ho-and-kim-go-euns-upcoming-fantasy-drama-begins-filming

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Heretorant said:

@syntyche I feel like screaming because it’s been too long! I’m so excited! :w00t:

Hoping to get a little more spoiled before the airing. Maybe it’ll keep me sane for another 6 months as I wait. 

Hi @Heretorant, this is exciting indeed! Hopefully, we'll get more updates, officially or from fans :P

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Lee Min Ho & Kim Go Eun start filming upcoming drama 'The King: The Eternal Monarch'

1571906310-20191023-leeminhokimgoeun.jpg

Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun have started filming their upcoming drama 'The King: The Eternal Monarch'.

SBS's 'The King: The Eternal Monarch' is the latest project by hit screenwriter Kim Eun Sook, and it's about two parallel universes where in South Korea is ruled by a monarchy in one and governed by a democracy in another. Lee Min Ho plays the role of Emperor Lee Gon, who wants to close the portal between the two dimensions, and Kim Go Eun plays the role of detective Jung Tae Eul, who aims to protect people.

The drama began filming on October 24 in North Chungcheong Province, and the setting is a two-story home with a big backyard that's reported to be the home of Jung Tae Eul. 

'The King: The Eternal March' is expected to premiere in the first half of 2020. Does it sound like a drama you'd watch?

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2019/10/lee-min-ho-kim-go-eun-start-filming-upcoming-drama-the-king-the-eternal-monarch

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

First Filming Day Commences For Lee Min Ho & Kim Go Eun Starrer “The King: The Eternal Monarch”

75271410_10156235806775672_8820750197526

The house features a tall ginkgo tree that stands in a corner of the large courtyard. It was said that “The House with the Ginkgo Tree” was selected by the producers themselves. In particular, the ginkgo tree will be vital to the story. Because the target broadcast date is in 2020, it is expected that filming should be completed by the first half of next year.

https://www.hellokpop.com/kdrama/first-filming-day-lee-min-ho-kim-go-eun-the-king-the-eternal-monarch/

• Like 7