[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

38 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

TKEM is probably second biggest foreign show after money heist this year. They You couldn’t have missed this unless they were living under a rock. It's Irrelevant article there is really not much to it

Any lawyer here, perhaps  we could  issue the writer a warning letter  :joy:

• Like 3

As much as I love TKEM, it was the WRITING and the choppy storylines that bogged it down.  There wasn’t a single weak link in the actors, and everyone completely slayed their roles. 

Jung Eun Chae single handedly saved whatever the hell her character turned into.  

Even the side characters like the people who played the royal guards, and the violent crimes squad nailed it. 

The trinity of WDH/LMH/KGE was brilliant too.  But I think LMH is in that weird position in SK where he’s both overexposed and underrated - overexposed because his popularity outshines his talent so he gets mindless hate because he’s a supernova...underrated because he’s genuiney GREAT, but nobody talks about it.

Overexposed and underrated.  After 14 years of stanning Taylor Swift, it’s a very familiar game.  Society and entertainment will only let one person have so much success before they start tearing them down.  Yet it’s those people who keep scoring meteoric hits and sell out stadiums, or have their albums go to #1, or have one of the top TV shows worldwide.  

• Like 6
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, syntyche said:

Who would have thought that this is yoyo kid? :lol:

cr: Byul E

OMG! I notice him in several scenes, But I don't know that he was also here too.

So since the beginning Yoyo kid/man is always on LG's side.

KES is very genius on plotting this Yoyo kid character and only reveal it at the end of the show! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

As much as I love TKEM, it was the WRITING and the choppy storylines that bogged it down.  There wasn’t a single weak link in the actors, and everyone completely slayed their roles. 

Jung Eun Chae single handedly saved whatever the hell her character turned into.  

Even the side characters like the people who played the royal guards, and the violent crimes squad nailed it. 

The trinity of WDH/LMH/KGE was brilliant too.  But I think LMH is in that weird position in SK where he’s both overexposed and underrated - overexposed because his popularity outshines his talent so he gets mindless hate because he’s a supernova...underrated because he’s genuiney GREAT, but nobody talks about it.

Overexposed and underrated.  After 14 years of stanning Taylor Swift, it’s a very familiar game.  Society and entertainment will only let one person have so much success before they start tearing them down.  Yet it’s those people who keep scoring meteoric hits and sell out stadiums, or have their albums go to #1, or have one of the top TV shows worldwide.  

Hey, fellow Swiftie here!  LOL

In my real life, I know a few of my friends and colleagues don't like LMH.  When I ask them why, they really couldn't give an answer except:  I haven't liked any of his shows.   So then I ask:  Well what shows of his did you watch?  Then they couldn't answer.   And I know most of them stan other KDrama actors.  That is why my conclusion is these haters on the internet?  Most have other actors who they love, but are not as popular globally.  Which is why there's a hint of jealousy there I think.

• Love 3

Just now, gwin said:

Hey, fellow Swiftie here!  LOL

In my real life, I know a few of my friends and colleagues don't like LMH.  When I ask them why, they really couldn't give an answer except:  I haven't liked any of his shows.   So then I ask:  Well what shows of his did you watch?  Then they couldn't answer.   And I know most of them stan other KDrama actors.  That is why my conclusion is these haters on the internet?  Most have other actors who they love, but are not as popular globally.  Which is why there's a hint of jealousy there I think.

HI SWIFTIIIIIIIE 

Speaking of Taylor, the other day I found some weird article that claims Snakey and LMH had a torrid affair Summer of ‘16.  I almost DIED laughing and then I went through Rep again to make sure nothing matched up. 

I think prior to TKEM, he wasn’t the best actor in the world, but he was certainly talented and had charisma overflowing.  He was good and deserved his success.  His dramas just absolutely exploded and he was the lead - which leads to people saying he’s overrated.  But he’s popular, pretty talented, and has a knack for picking good projects. 

TKEM was on a whole other level though - and if people can’t see that then that’s on them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

HI SWIFTIIIIIIIE 

Speaking of Taylor, the other day I found some weird article that claims Snakey and LMH had a torrid affair Summer of ‘16.  I almost DIED laughing and then I went through Rep again to make sure nothing matched up. 

I think prior to TKEM, he wasn’t the best actor in the world, but he was certainly talented and had charisma overflowing.  He was good and deserved his success.  His dramas just absolutely exploded and he was the lead - which leads to people saying he’s overrated.  But he’s popular, pretty talented, and has a knack for picking good projects. 

TKEM was on a whole other level though - and if people can’t see that then that’s on them.

There's always haters and negative people around us. Is a matter how we handle those negative force(s) to balance the world .

Just like  in the business world, am sure Jack Ma and Bill Gates do have haters.

They preserve,ignore and think on the positive sides.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AgentQuake said:

HI SWIFTIIIIIIIE 

When you think about it the amount of success he gained in the last 10+ years it's mindblowing for someone who is from a non-english speaking territory. He launched Kdramas with BOF and due to that boom Dramafever opened and then followed by Hulu and Viki. He has carried an entertainment on his back for + a decade and still carrying it to higher grounds. 

Imo his not only underrated but his devastatingly underrated and because sometimes actors rise from different parts of the world just due to the strength of their charisma and ability to capture audience before him it was Shahrukh who just randomly rose out of India and became a sensation and the decade after that it was him he just rose out of nowhere and got fire and kept growing. 

If you look at it on a global based his the most signficiant actor in the last decade who created a cultural impact and he has no other rivals in that decade from 09 to 20 in the whole world.  

Because he acheived so much that his own high standards have become his enemy because he set the par so high for himself that he faces huge amount of scrutiny and most of his acheivements have been attempted to be brushed aside by some desparate people as if it was a fluke and to be honest nobody can achieve what he did here or replicate because nobody had the charisma and ability to capture audience like him and this was a unique treat only for him and to just give a little insight it was like moving mountains literally what he achieved it was highly significiant due to coming out of that corner in the world. It took alot of patience and hardwork for this to come and when you put in the work sincerely you get the reward double always  

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

But I think LMH is in that weird position in SK where he’s both overexposed and underrated - overexposed because his popularity outshines his talent so he gets mindless hate because he’s a supernova...underrated because he’s genuiney GREAT, but nobody talks about it.

Agreed.From whatever I have seen or read about SK reaction with respect to LMH, he generally gets the snub and other actors Gets praised.Partly due to scripts LMH chooses.As someone said earlier he is like that Kpop Idol wherein Fans would not prefer for him to do a Darker / Social script but rather want him in Romantic Roles.There are Youtube researches back in mid 2010, where Ladies only remeber him as Suzy Bae's Bf or Gu Jun Pyo with Bad hairdo, some said he had a Perfect Face which She does not like. When asked about hia acting, Yeah no nada nothing, He is Suzy Bae's BF.

Somehow from what I have seen from last 3 works , he gets the slack of playing characters written in script.A heirs,lotbs are more or less Rehash of his or writers previous works, whereas in the same years SK audience gets a MLFAS, Goblin or W with far more superior scripts. His works Sell but HIS Art doesn't get recognized because of the SAFE for FANS scripts he kept on choosing.

This fanfare dominating what kind of script he does, I think upto a certain point is true, I remember watching his ENG SUB Live session on IG, wherein the only thing expected from TKEM was "Oppa this Show is ROMANCE RIGHT?, I won't see it if there is No romance".

He has to be Romantic for his work to showcase???I mean Let the Actor Shine not His face.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Agreed.From whatever I have seen or read about SK reaction with respect to LMH, he generally gets the snub and other actors Gets praised.Partly due to scripts LMH chooses.As someone said earlier he is like that Kpop Idol wherein Fans would not prefer for him to do a Darker / Social script but rather want him in Romantic Roles.There are Youtube researches back in mid 2010, where Ladies only remeber him as Suzy Bae's Bf or Gu Jun Pyo with Bad hairdo, some said he had a Perfect Face which She does not like. When asked about hia acting, Yeah no nada nothing, He is Suzy Bae's BF.

Somehow from what I have seen from last 3 works , he gets the slack of playing characters written in script.A heirs,lotbs are more or less Rehash of his or writers previous works, whereas in the same years SK audience gets a MLFAS, Goblin or W with far more superior scripts. His works Sell but HIS Art doesn't get recognized because of the SAFE for FANS scripts he kept on choosing.

This fanfare dominating what kind of script he does, I think upto a certain point is true, I remember watching his ENG SUB Live session on IG, wherein the only thing expected from TKEM was "Oppa this Show is ROMANCE RIGHT?, I won't see it if there is No romance".

He has to be Romantic for his work to showcase???I mean Let the Actor Shine not His face.

This is definitely not true have you watched MLFAS it's soap-opera and the same with Goblin. It's honestly the same thing the only difference being Heirs. 

As for scripts he played a General in Faith, vigilant in CIty hunters, Gangster in Gangnam Blus and Bounty hunter in bounty hunters. All the things you mention are usually guesses but not factual when you take the time to do proper research. 

Nobody either believed action drama like City hunter could sell like it did before but he made it major hit. 

Everything he honestly did he rose on the power of his acting and his major strength lays in 3 places because actors have different places they have strength his comes from 3 things. Charisma, Flamboyance and intensity which reflects from his eyes. 

Normally he would work better in Gangster or villain roles that would be his natural roles hence why he sometimes takes arrogant characters because they come easy to him thus will the villain characters also but due to his intensity he shines in romance because he can love his FL with much more intensity making the audience believe in it and making the love appear strong with intensity

• Like 5
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Heilo said:

This is definitely not true have you watched MLFAS it's soap-opera and the same with Goblin. It's honestly the same thing the only difference being Heirs. 

As for scripts he played a General in Faith, vigilant in CIty hunters, Gangster in Gangnam Blus and Bounty hunter in bounty hunters. All the things you mention are usually guesses but not factual when you take the time to do proper research. 

Nobody either believed action drama like City hunter could sell like it did before but he made it major hit. 

Everything he honestly did he rose on the power of his acting and his major strength lays in 3 places because actors have different places they have strength his comes from 3 things. Charisma, Flamboyance and intensity which reflects from his eyes. 

Lol I KNOW HIS POTENTIAL, I Love him as an actor I am not the one to criticize his ACTING Chops. The statistics for the Shows I mentioned in SK is what I am talking about. CH is from very old era so is Faith, I KNOW his eyes does the work :). But we just cannot deny that Mlfas was better than Heirs in breaking the popularity or Goblin was Better than lotbs in script. 

I was talking about How this is the thing getting effected in domestic market not My PERSONAL opinion about him. I still wpuld prefer a Lotbs over MLFAS any day. And City Hunter over K2.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Heilo said:

When you think about it the amount of success he gained in the last 10+ years it's mindblowing for someone who is from a non-english speaking territory. He launched Kdramas with BOF and due to that boom Dramafever opened and then followed by Hulu and Viki. He has carried an entertainment on his back for + a decade and still carrying it to higher grounds. 

Imo his not only underrated but his devastatingly underrated and because sometimes actors rise from different parts of the world just due to the strength of their charisma and ability to capture audience before him it was Shahrukh who just randomly rose out of India and became a sensation and the decade after that it was him he just rose out of nowhere and got fire and kept growing. 

If you look at it on a global based his the most signficiant actor in the last decade who created a cultural impact and he has no other rivals in that decade from 09 to 20 in the whole world.  

Because he acheived so much that his own high standards have become his enemy because he set the par so high for himself that he faces huge amount of scrutiny and most of his acheivements have been attempted to be brushed aside by some desparate people as if it was a fluke and to be honest nobody can achieve what he did here or replicate because nobody had the charisma and ability to capture audience like him and this was a unique treat only for him and to just give a little insight it was like moving mountains literally what he achieved it was highly significiant out of a country that doesn't speak english. It took alot of patience and hardwork for this to come and when you put in the work sincerely you get the reward double always  

I definitely agree with this. His must certainly the most significiant actor of this era in the world. Basic truth 

• Love 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SCSfanz said:

@madmad min I think if not for the cast, this show might have been overlooked or just flopped. The cast got our attention which was why most of us watched it in the first place i believe. At least for me, i would watch anything if LMH is in it. lol  And of course the cast eventually carried the show and made it even better. 

@Narine Joa @Joanna Alfson i was really confused by this as well. since LL died , shouldn't the prince be alive? unless he died of natural causes but that was not mentioned in the show. I wanted to see a reunion of him and lady nok. 

@madmad min @SCSfanz i also agree on this. All the actors carried their own gravitas very well throughout. Heck even jangmi and jangmi 2.0 are humorous for maknae roles AND superior trainee at the same time.

@Narine Joa @Joanna Alfson @SCSfanz I'm still under the impression that Prince Buyeong is alive in the reset timeline. Only that we don't see him. I believe that LG is unable to bring JTE to see his uncle in the reset timeline because Luna is there, and that would complicate the situation. So bringing her in the year 2000, would be safe because they're still young and not resemble their current face.

• Like 2
  • Love 1