[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 hours ago, madmad min said:

I may sound Brash on this..but selling A KDRAMA storyline like TKEM S2 WITHOUT LMH and estimating it to be A global Hit, WILL be hard.

In my defence wasn't a Vagabond or K2 thriller as well? Were they THAT popular to TKEM's scale?? Correct me If I am wrong, The Trending K drama globally still was CLOY which isn't a TKEM with LMH. Also CLOY is romance whereas TKEM is mystery , the romance part picks up midway!

A major part of this series Holding on was the LEAD ACTOR.KES best works are DOTS (not complex but a Hallyu/Intl Hit), GOBLIN(Locally Popular not giant global HIT),Mr Sunshine (Locally critically acclamied and a Hit, globally no idea), TKEM (Web portal, Globally HIT). Internationally People still prefer PJE's work than Hers from what I have seen atleast.(MLFAS,CLOY etc)

As I said someone correct me if I am wrong.

@madmad min I think if not for the cast, this show might have been overlooked or just flopped. The cast got our attention which was why most of us watched it in the first place i believe. At least for me, i would watch anything if LMH is in it. lol  And of course the cast eventually carried the show and made it even better. 

2 hours ago, Joanna Alfson said:

The old prince died also in the reset timeline that is why the king visited that world to see him but that was not him just his counterpart 

2 hours ago, Narine Joa said:

If Lee Lim didn't killed him how did he die in the changed timeline 

@Narine Joa @Joanna Alfson i was really confused by this as well. since LL died , shouldn't the prince be alive? unless he died of natural causes but that was not mentioned in the show. I wanted to see a reunion of him and lady nok. 

2 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

@SCSfanz

Love that scene. The way both walk in with guns on their hands,the swift movement by JY was so epic.

When JY  was being shot, he was trying to protect the young LG , right ?

@Thong Thin yeah he used his body to shield baby LG. I actually did not notice he got shot when i first watched it cos the scene was kinda dark (at least on my screen) 

5 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Who knew after spending weeks using so much brain power and not sleeping enough because I was analyzing/became obsessed over TKEM that I would just crash for nearly 24hrs haha!!! The power of TKEM!!!

Anyways while trying to watch up on everything, this is what I've gathered so far:

1) There was a blackout on Soompi forums?

2) Something about donate points that I didn't get

3) WDH posting a new pic (did he dye his hair? Can't tell if I'm looking at ES or JY? lol) and he's still fan girling on all the other TKEM cast members IGs by liking all of their pics hahah

4) Still no news of deleted scenes from TKEM ? Or are they on the DVD yet?

Ok off I go again to sleeping some more, Ill catch up tomorrow and respond :joy: ! Until then, enjoy one of my favorite scenes hahah:

Oh and a scene which I wanted to see instead of ES only calling Nari Wife :love:

@SweetButters oh yeah! his hair looks kinda brownish? not sure if it's the lighting.  was that photo of es/nari photoshopped? technology is kinda scary nowadays lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

[HanCinema's News] Lee Min-Ho Faces Next Stage of Career in Uncertainty

Following his comeback from mandatory military service, Lee Min-ho seemed well-positioned to mark a career transition and start to play older roles. His role as the title sovereign in "The King: Eternal Monarch" appeared likely to help instill in Lee Min-ho's image a sense of regal dignity. Yet in the aftermath of the drama's airing and subsequent poor ratings, Lee Min-ho is instead at a crossroads imagewise.

In many ways Lee Min-ho's character was a bit on-the-nose. Lee Min-ho has long played heartthrob themed characters in fairy tale style stories. And in "The King: Eternal Monarch" this aspect was more blatant than ever before, with Lee Min-ho having to take horseriding lessons for the drama's numerous shots of literal royalty riding on horseback. The image, though distinctive, was ultimately overly safe for a man whose fans had not seen him in a leading role for over three years.

Still, there is something to be said for a more gradual image shift. When Lee Min-ho made his debut fourteen years ago in "Secret Campus" he was still an obvious kid, and would continue to play roles as a high school student for years to come. "Boys over Flowers" was the project that gave Lee Min-ho the attention necessary to become a proper leading man rather than a single actor in a larger ensemble. Subsequent roles highlighted his presence.

But it's clear now that Lee Min-ho can't save a project just on his own. His charisma is excellent, but needs proper direction. There's a fine line between charming arrogance and explicit obnoxiousness, and Lee Min-ho would stumble over it at times in "The King: Eternal Monarch" to the overall project's detriment as well as his own.

However, with the reasons for the underperformance of "The King: Eternal Monarch" being quite complex, it's unlikely anyone will hold Lee Min-ho personally too harshly to account for the drama's disappointing performance. This is particularly true in regards to Lee Min-ho's fans, who remain loyal to the actor and eagerly await his next project.

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SCSfanz said:

@madmad min I think if not for the cast, this show might have been overlooked or just flopped. The cast got our attention which was why most of us watched it in the first place i believe. At least for me, i would watch anything if LMH is in it. lol  And of course the cast eventually carried the show and made it even better. 

@Narine Joa @Joanna Alfson i was really confused by this as well. since LL died , shouldn't the prince be alive? unless he died of natural causes but that was not mentioned in the show. I wanted to see a reunion of him and lady nok. 

@Thong Thin yeah he used his body to shield baby LG. I actually did not notice he got shot when i first watched it cos the scene was kinda dark (at least on my screen) 

@SweetButters oh yeah! his hair looks kinda brownish? not sure if it's the lighting.  was that photo of es/nari photoshopped? technology is kinda scary nowadays lol. 

The same here i believe he died of natural cause when the time reset and i mean when Lee lim was killed because the time was reset twice and both times he was killed by Lee Lim but the third time he died again and i believe this time of natural cause 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JC's Lingxi said:

@Thong Thin here we go , another han cinema negative article... i read it in the morning itself.... and chose to ignore it.... these people are always continuously against him as if they have some personal vendetta against him... i like to keep negativity away from me.... only time will tell where will LMH go from this point..

Whoever wrote it is detached from reality itself and on some very strong drugs. It's a worldwide hit and Lee Min Ho has never been stronger then this moment and will likely gain 10mio+ followers in the coming months due to TKEM. His stardom has exploded but reckon it was an individual opinion but couldn't be further from reality

• Like 4

I'm starting to think these writers are downplaying LMH's popularity and success because they like other actors and are annoyed the ones they like aren't getting that much attention. 

There's no better proof at the reach of TKEM than LMH's IG follower count.  It's insane actually.  Just for comparison, did PSJ get such a big jump after Itaewon Class aired?  No he did not, even if that show got better ratings in Korea compared to TKEM.  It only shows that TKEM's reach is much more pronounced outside Korea where all those new followers come from.  Heck, the show is over and he's still what... gaining 100k followers every 1-2 days?

Seriously.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, gwin said:

I'm starting to think these writers are downplaying LMH's popularity and success because they like other actors and are annoyed the ones they like aren't getting that much attention. 

There's no better proof at the reach of TKEM than LMH's IG follower count.  It's insane actually.  Just for comparison, did PSJ get such a big jump after Itaewon Class aired?  No he did not, even if that show got better ratings in Korea compared to TKEM.  It only shows that TKEM's reach is much more pronounced outside Korea where all those new followers come from.  Heck, the show is over and he's still what... gaining 100k followers every 1-2 days?

Seriously.

TKEM is probably second biggest foreign show after money heist this year. They You couldn’t have missed this unless they were living under a rock. It's Irrelevant article there is really not much to it

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

@Heilolove the glare JY gave to King LG:love: Kinda childish look !

Is not employee, employer relationship, lol

JY must be guessing, good lord ..you go womanising with those diamonds !  that girl must be loaded right now :P

But I love their bromance, Gon-Jo :heart:  

And yes, whoever writes that article need spanking ! :joy: 

@JC's Lingxiwas speechless when I read that article. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, JC's Lingxi said:

@Thong Thin here we go , another han cinema negative article... i read it in the morning itself.... and chose to ignore it.... these people are always continuously against him as if they have some personal vendetta against him... i like to keep negativity away from me.... only time will tell where will LMH go from this point..

Exactly, jealousy is the word. 

• Like 2

Gonna be honest...with all that Disney talks about diversity and inclusion (and I believe them), both KGE and LMH would be perfect for Marvel/Disney, with English practice.  Disney is tapping into China with Mulan and Shang Chi.  I’m not sure if Yifei Liu is bigger to western audiences than KGE/LMH, and Simu Liu is an unknown. 

• Like 4

Whoa!! What in the heck is up with that article about LMH??  Can’t save a project on his own? Has charisma but needs proper directions? So it’s LMH’s fault that TKEM is disappointing? <_<

Well, my answer is simple.

Whoever wrote that article:

q5vp7.jpg

:unamused:

@SweetButters sleep well! You stayed up too late drawing canvas and analyzing theories :D

• LOL 8
  • Love 1