[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

The King: Eternal Monarch | Series Review

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/06/16/the-king-eternal-monarch-series-review/

All hail to this series that should be treated as royalty among dramas this year!

His Past

The King: Eternal Monarch had a really solid premiere with its mysterious plot and interesting characters. The main plot was anchored on Lee Gon’s (Lee Min-ho) tragic past. It introduced us to the conflict right away which immediately hooked me in as a viewer. It felt like we were transported into the story rather than watching it behind a screen (or am I the only one who wished to live in the Kingdom of Corea?). The expository details were just enough to catch my attention and build an air of intrigue to the next episodes.

The fictional world (or should I say worlds?) presented was as detailed as other Kim Eun-sook-written dramas. The Kingdom of Corea has a rich backstory including historical events, maps, and even GDP ranking (!!!). I’m putting emphasis on The King’s effective worldbuilding because we all know that a fantasy series needed a reliable setting for its plot to be believable. This was definitely the strongest aspect of TKEM. Its characters were moving inside a well-crafted world with a solid foundation. So when things turned complicated and our brain cells went haywire with all the plot twists (and math/physics theories), the established fictional world wasn’t even rattled. It firmly held the plot on its place and smoothly continued its progress.

• Like 5

Spoiler

People had been shipping for LG/JTE irl, but if they only knew WDH has been liking all of KYJ's (actress who plays Nari/MSA) pics haha!!! Here's to JY/MSA/ES/Nari continuing their "secret budding relationship" off the set of TKEM :love::

nsN6Zzi.jpg

1 hour ago, SCSfanz said:

@SweetButters There was such a video? omg where did you see it? I need it NOOWWWW LOL

your bf has better abs than WDH? now i'm jealous, my bf's abs are still under construction :joy:

Also thank you for posting that new BTS! OMG WDH is so funny LOL! i think he's a ES/JY mix

I chose almost the same options as you. Except instead of JTE tying her hair, i chose the LG saving JTE with his army. 

Also as much as i love the story, i don't want a S2 as i doubt they'll be able to get all the characters back together  based on the casts' schedules and all. Also , they wrapped up the drama to a near perfect ending and if they re-visit it again, i think it'll cause more confusion and perhaps more critics from haters which i would hate to see. 

A spin off would be nice, or even if the same OTP is cast in another different drama. Just like how the grim reaper and sunny got cast in another drama after globin ended. 

@SCSfanz yea !! Here it is (I didnt have the video saved, but it wasn't actually JTE on the horse, but a trainer I think):

Haha yea I mean I think my bf's and WDH's abs are equally as hot hahah!! Aww don't worry he'll get there in no time !!!! Yea so sad there probably won't be a S2 of TKEM! I wished there was though!!! Sadness !!! Haha yea WDH was hilarious in the TKEM bts haha!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

3 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Yea so sad there probably won't be a S2 of TKEM! I wished there was though!!! Sadness !!! Haha yea WDH was hilarious in the TKEM bts haha!!!

We don't know for certain whether there will be S2 or not? but I wouldn't say no as the answer to that is uncertain. They could come out and confirm it in couple of weeks which means nothing is certain yet

• Like 3

Just now, Narine Joa said:

We don't know for certain whether there will be S2 or not? but I wouldn't say no as the answer to that is uncertain. They could come out and confirm it in couple of weeks 

@Narine Joa writer KES has never written a S2 for any of her previous shows plus the actors and actresses in TKEM have other projects they are about to get into unfortunately ! However, there's still a chance, but I highly doubt there will be a S2. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

@Narine Joa writer KES has never written a S2 for any of her previous shows plus the actors and actresses in TKEM have other projects they are about to get into unfortunately ! However, there's still a chance, but I highly doubt there will be a S2. 

These were the old days. This series is hit on Netflix and I don't see them not pursuing her to do S2. If the show is left behind by dragon stadios it would be very unwise on their behalf so I would believe they would do the right thing here and try to capitalize on this. It's gonna be for long time before anything like this comes out of Asia perhaps a decade or more. Hit shows are rare while being far and in between. Example even here in the western world you don't see Breaking bad, GoT or Withcer's of worlds come out everyday? It's far and in between but once they come they just don't leave them behind on S1. They prolong it for as many seasons as possible and as long TKEM can perform they would want to extend it    

• Like 4
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

You are right about the budget it has to increase this time and KES should try to go bigger with more adventures on the storyline and world building

It should be increased considerable imo going double up on the previous budget 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yonhap said:

hi all, i have been lurking ever since the thread started. Enjoy all the comments in the thread.

i am one of those who have enjoyed all 16 episodes but felt something was missing at the end of it. decided to start a fan fiction if anyone is interested

https://www.wattpad.com/903628576-the-king-eternal-monarch-chapter-1 

Thanks I had to dive deep into this thread to find this fanfic. Your a life saver :kiss_wink:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Narine Joa said:

These were the old days. This series is hit on Netflix and I don't see them not pursuing her to do S2. If the show is left behind by dragon stadios it would be very unwise on their behalf so I would believe they would do the right thing here and try to capitalize on this. It's gonna be for long time before anything like this comes out of Asia perhaps a decade or more. Hit shows are rare while being far and in between. Example even here in the western world you don't see Breaking bad, GoT or Withcer's of worlds come out everyday? It's far and in between but once they come they just don't leave them behind on S1. They prolong it for as many seasons as possible and as long TKEM can perform they would want to extend it    

@Narine Joa yea those were the old days, but like I said the actors and actresses have other projects too. Plus WDH is about to be enlisted in the military. Most western shows can continue how ever they like since joining the military isn’t a requirement in a lot of western countries. So then actors can do more projects or whatever else. Like I said, writer KES doesn’t write 2 seasons of anything ever. Plus LMH hasn’t ever done a 2nd season of anything either. You have to be aware that it’s not only about the production or distributor, but the schedules of the actors and actresses of the show too. 

• Like 3

Lee-Min-Ho-640x400.jpg

Lee Min Ho Reigns As The Most Followed Korean Actor On Social Media

LEE MIN HO SMASHES SOCIAL MEDIA RECORDS WITH HIS STAGGERING NUMBER OF FOLLOWERS ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, AND WEIBO.

It’s a fact that Lee Min Ho is one of South Korea’s premier leading men, and he’s got the long list of TV series and fleet of social network followers to back it up.

THE KING OF K-DRAMAS

The seasoned actor has a slew of K-dramas in his repertoire ever since his debut in the 2006 EBS youth drama, Secret Campus. Creating Hallyu waves of his own, he starred in internationally loved and acclaimed shows, such as Boys Over Flowers, The Heirs, The Legend of the Blue Sea, City Hunter, Faith, Personal Taste, and the recently concluded, The King: The Eternal Monarch.  

His career longevity proves that his acting chops, charisma, and star factor keep on growing, making him the King of K-dramas.

FB_IMG_1588907734923-768x512.jpg

THE KING OF FOLLOWERS

Not all celebrities choose to be active on social media, however, among those who are, Lee Min Ho wears the crown of the most followed Korean actor. According to MYM Entertainment, Lee Min Ho currently has 17.3 million Facebook followers, 16.6 million Instagram followers, and 3 million Twitter followers.

Additionally, he has surpassed the 28.5 million mark on Weibo. The numbers have spoken – Lee Min Ho’s social media game is stronger than ever!

THE KING: THE ETERNAL MONARCH

Never failing to provide a riveting performance, Lee Min Ho brought Emperor Lee Gon to life and into our hearts. The mind-boggling plot took us on journeys through time and alternate realities, wherein we witnessed mysteries unravel, struggles turn into victory, and soulmates finding their happy-ever-after despite the odds.

The enthralling storyline and spellbinding portrayals brought The King to the number 1 spot in OTT rankings for seven weeks in a row.

With the astounding success of The King: The Eternal Monarch and an ever-growing fanbase, there is no stopping this stellar actor’s star from shining. Just like the title of his sensational Netflix series, Lee’s presence in the showbiz industry is both royal and eternal.

FB_IMG_1587253221288-768x512.jpg

https://www.hellokpop.com/news/lee-min-ho-most-followed-korean-actor/

• Like 1
  • Love 9
  • Awesome 4
  • Thanks 1

@SweetButters If the right amount of money is on the table anything goes and thats just how the entertainment in reality works It's all about the money at the end of the day. schedules and all these things don't matter and actors go where they get paid best and will make free schedule for the highest bidder 

• Like 1

The 4 Adorable Child Actors Of 'The King: Eternal Monarch' You Should Follow On Insta

The King: Eternal Monarch might have already ended, but we'll forever hold the drama dear to our hearts. With its gripping storytelling, ace cinematography, and stellar cast, the fantasy and sci-fi drama isn't one we can move on from so easily. But I'd like to zero in on the pool of child actors who warmed our hearts in the many time-traveling scenes scattered all throughout the show. Almost all of the main adult cast had younger counterparts which, of course, made us curious about these uber-talented kids! No surprise here: You can find them all on Instagram (whose accounts are probs being handled by their parents, TBH), so check them out for more adorbs posts from our bb faves.

1. Jung Hyeon Jun as Young Lee Gon/Lee Ji Hun

Instagram handle: @hyeonjun_mama 

Why you should hit the Follow button: This eight-year-old bb boy sure loves documenting his projects with behind-the-scenes snaps (yes, he's the kid from Parasite)! We're loving these ones with his The King co-stars Lee Min Ho and Lee Jung Jin.

2. Kim Si Woo as Young Jung Tae Eul

Instagram handle: @siwookim_14 

Why you should hit the Follow button: Kim Si Woo just the sweetest little bean ever! Make sure to check out her many ~fashionable~ pics, including her wearing Te-Eul's signature Taekwondo uniform.

3. Jung Si Yul as Young Jo Young

Instagram handle: @yul_pley

Why you should hit the Follow button: Okay, so how can you not fall in love with this face? Enjoy the many wacky shots of funny boy Jung Si Yul (who was also recently seen on Hospital Playlist)!

4. Moon Woo Jin as Young Kang Shin Jae/Kang Hyeon Min

Instagram handle: @wj_2009

Why you should hit the Follow button: Moon Woo Jin is one busy child actor! Apart from his many upcoming acting projects (he'll be next seen on It's Okay To Not Be Okay), the 11-year-old is also learning how to play the piano.

Spoiler

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/the-king-eternal-monarch-child-actors-instagram-accounts-a483-20200616

• Like 4