[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

A beautiful drama if we don't analyze the time travel logic..

To me the last few episodes made me to de-lurk and post my thoughts and questions!! While most dramas wrap up in last few episodes.. this one had the most action and nail biting scenes ( Ignoring  2nd half of ep 16 ofcoz)..

I was initially shocked when I saw LR escape with the whole flute ..my mind was racing with thoughts of what next til I saw LG n LR in bamboo forest.. KES kept the suspense till ep16.. hats off!!

I loved reading all the wonderful theories and analysis of fellow soompiers here!! Thanks guys for your enthusiasm n even better logic / theories fr the finale:D

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Edgar Pordwed said:

Thanks @syntyche for all your reviews, updates and mathematical help. Loved your reviews especially that cleared a lot of confusion.

It was fun to read everyone's theories, opinions, jokes, rants, squeals, Q and As, gifs and screencaps! I didn't participate a lot but I think I went through the whole thread since I joined. 

The drama received mixed reception even before it started but this was one positive place throughout so it was really fun to hangout here! Hope to see you all in future drama threads of the cast.

There will be a rewatch in few days hope you can come and join us

• Like 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

@SCSfanz HAHAHAH MY GOD....now it makes me think there were so many things that were not properly translated in this show leading to false interpretations kinda like what happened to JTE kinda ironic hahahah !!! Does the part of JTE commenting on JY's relationship with MSA change any besides saying its a triller romance story? lol

THANK YOU A BILLION TRILLION TIMES AGAIN!!! :kiss_wink:

@SweetButters  luckily there wasn't anything different about JTE's commenting on JY's relationship with MSA . i think most were accurately translated, but i did notice minor errors here and there especially when the pronunciation of a word sounds similar to something else. This was probably what happened in the CCTV scene.  i think it's just that sometimes there are certain nuances that cannot be translated. You wouldn't miss the story line but some trivial stuff might get missed like the cctv scene.

Another Eg. this scene was in fact translated correctly but in Korean,  they weren't counting (one,two,three etc). middle screen caption was completely off but i don't really think there's anyway to explain it in English so that was really the closest . i felt It took the joke away from non Korean speaking audiences though.

5cc4bb0e2f101d3c5720fabe9ea7f63726c6be08

imageimage

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Just finished watching the episode...

Hmm... i havent read others comment.. i want to put my thoughts here first...

1. How could they even cross the world every weekend??? Until they grew old?? I mean shouldnt someone make some sacrifice?... of coz we want JTE become queen and they dont have to cross the world like that :mellow:

2. Why did JY remember but not Lady Noh?

3. Nice plot twist on Luna being Koo adopted daughter...

4. SinJae became hot shot businessman, everyone rejoice right?

5. Yeong... well, he has his lovebird now too.. haha...

Im not sure im happy with such ending.. its like the writer didnt want to give a happy ending but forced to, hence we have somewhat a happy but unsatisfactory ending... hmm...  sigh

Gonna read the comments, backreading now.. 

It was an open ending.   They just showed us with that small glimpse that they stayed together until they grew old, but they didn't really tell us  what they eventually did all those years.  I'd like to think that in my head, they eventually found a way to stay together in one of the worlds.

JY remembered because LG saved him, and I guess because the yoyo kid chose not to break that string.

The ending was the most appropriate one they could have given us considering the theme of this show.   There really isn't a way for either of them to make a sacrifice to move to another world, considering where they were at that point in their respective lives.  

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, SCSfanz said:

in case they go back to the prosthetic ages where cavemen only wear leaves. HAHAHHAHAHA 

It would be called Arthdal Chronicles spin-off or Prelude Arthdal Chronicles 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Heilo said:

It would be called Arthdal Chronicles spin-off or Prelude Arthdal Chronicles 

@Heilothey wore clothes in arthdal chronicles, so that would likely be a prelude of the prelude arthdal chronicles. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

I didn't come immediately on this forum after watching the final episode, since I wanted to get my thoughts together. 

Ending: looks like KES decided to break her sad/ open ending record of past 2 dramas and gave happy ending to ALL the characters!:joy: 

Spoiler

So I see everywhere ( YT, news article comments) saying that this is happy ending but I actually felt it was bitter-sweet LOL

The fact that they couldn't stay as husband-wife all the other days of the week is so sad BUT the entire 2nd half of the episode I was smiling but then I felt the bittersweet ending was masked with them showing us their happy moments. I still am happy with the ending because it is not open-ending:lol: and tbh I don't how KES could give complete happy ending .:)

Ok I realized how many theories/ plot points that we thought about/ read too much (including spoiler pics) and we all ended up being clowns: :joy:

1. Chief's solitude scenes:

Most of us: oh is he in LL's gang? Is he keeping track of JTE/ sin jae 

End: some half assed cooked up story about him helping his friend's family:lol: 

2. Adult yoyo kid:

Most of us: oh he is the bully and he was seen with LG in KOC. Is he the bad guy?

End: he is the yoyo kid. I admit when they revealed his identity I was like WTF?!:lol: I still don't get it. So he purposely bullied SJ so JTE saves him? Or is it that his bad and good personalities got divided btw 2 universes? Why did his voice sound villianish when he said, 'I thought this string will break but it didn't. Should I do that or keep it ?' :unsure: ( or is it just in my mind lol)

Spoiler

In Goblin, Deokhwa was innocent that's why God chose him whenever he wanted to convey message but here it didn't make any sense to me about that bully guy/ LG teammate character. 

In fact if they showed Nari as yoyo kid it was more digestable since she used to speak pyschic wisdom here and there like saying that Lee lim would be beheaded, her telling JTE that doppleganglers could kill each other and seung ha having clicked photos of Lee lim at the race and LG coming across that photos via Jo yeong. Basically it would make more sense to me to tie up all Myeong nari and seung ha scenes together  with yoyo kid to show that she was always helping them indirectly.

3. SJ backstory and everything:

Spoiler

Ok this is mostly me::lol: oh he will play pivotal role in bringing down Lee lim in the final battle

End: not that much role in the final battle.. I came to the conclusion that KES wanted to show the effect of Lee Lim's action and she chose one character to show how life was drastically changed! Both kang kids got happy ending and sin jae which we saw also got JTE in terms of Luna ( I guess they like each other in present KOC, so in previous loop Luna kissing him , asking him how he got the wound were all pointing that they were destined together.) I am happy that he got his happy ending.

4. Luna: I think in earlier interviews LMH said he is curious about Luna's story BUT we didn't see anything substantial.

I admit this is mostly me: oh Luna -JTE are more than just doppleganglers and what with all the random clues that they showed, I was completely clowned:P

5. PM koo and her mother's switch: Don't know what role it played. Them showing her mother's shop in 1994 in the first episode and did we also analyse the calender LOL

6. Seeing wedding chairs photo:

Oh it's a wedding or wait funeral  or wait late Queen's memorial mass?

Turned out it was Pm Mo elected ceremony. I found it funny when she said she will be the pm to give mostly written reports but LG insists that she visits him in person LOL

7. Seeing vintage photo:

We: Oh they must have gone back with lady Noh? or To stop Lee Lim's birth?! Oh wait maybe JTE Is lady noh itself and LG is his grandfather in that photo :lol:

End: it is OTP just time travelling LOL

8. Church scene:

We: they must have married . That's why LG asked the priest to keep it a secret and 

Oh KES also clowned us by telling us that church is in the same place in both the universe and we thought oh it's going to play pivotal role in bringing OTP together. :joy:

9. Lee Lim's umbrellas: :lol:  multiple time travels and multiple flutes what not.

10. Lady noh- ROK : huh? So how did that help the story?

11. Japan - KOC mini war: although we sort of came to the conclusion that it was unnecessary but I remember thinking that may be lee lim was involved in that LOL I still held out hope that it would play role in future episodes.

12. Deaths: I think we predicted almost all lead character's death at one point of time especially JTE but she didn't die in any time loop, not even once :lol: (not that I am complaining)

13.  Other random scenes that I thought were important: Lee lim gang near salt pans, pm koo's ex husband being involved with the illegal project of  Guyoung canal that Lee lim was using, old man who was there with pm koo, face mask girl , etc.

Seeing so many plot points and random scenes I wonder how many endings did KES had in mind or whether she decided to have happy ending so ignored some things to make it happen or she cut short the story because of time constraint or because she  felt that it would be too complicated or because of sbs ratings. ( ok don't come at me guys ,I know TKEM is an international and VOD hit but may be KES is traditional when it comes to ratings :lol:) or may be WE used too much of our brain LOL

--------------------------------

Despite it's shortcomings I sincerely thank KES for giving us a no nonsense OTP who knew what they wanted and acted as mature adults in love. After watching so many dramas it is rare to see OTP which is not conventional or unique but KES managed to give us exactly that. Both the leads were unique in their own ways defying rich guy and middle class/ poor girl stereotypes and when they come together it's like MSD just best friends turned lovers vibe + quarelling as married couple + helping each other to survive in their respective world.:wub: 

Edited by Umjicheok
Typos and added more
  • Like 10
  • LOL 6

1 hour ago, realistic2280a said:

Just finished watching the episode...

Hmm... i havent read others comment.. i want to put my thoughts here first...

1. How could they even cross the world every weekend??? Until they grew old?? I mean shouldnt someone make some sacrifice?... of coz we want JTE become queen and they dont have to cross the world like that :mellow:

2. Why did JY remember but not Lady Noh?

3. Nice plot twist on Luna being Koo adopted daughter...

4. SinJae became hot shot businessman, everyone rejoice right?

5. Yeong... well, he has his lovebird now too.. haha...

Im not sure im happy with such ending.. its like the writer didnt want to give a happy ending but forced to, hence we have somewhat a happy but unsatisfactory ending... hmm...  sigh

Gonna read the comments, backreading now.. 

Oh ya, i dont buy the argument that because Luna is in KoC hence JTE cant come to his world. She was waiting for him like crazy, even willing to sacrifice herself in the process... so an excuse of Luna being in KoC hence cant go over... is a very weak conclusion to the drama.. sigh... LG is smart, crossed universe for his love, im sure he can think of something.. 

Also, why JTE's ID was in little Gon's hand is still unknown... yes yes, LG got it from... ops i forgot, but my question is, why JTE.., i thought there might be a back story to their story, on why they are fated to be together... sigh

The chances of a 2nd season is so low... the chances of being in a drama together is also low (not impossible, see LJK and MCW's new drama; Taiwanese dramas has better % of popular leads to be in several dramas, maybe coz RoSK just have a lot actors) :huh:

• Like 3