[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I have a strong feeling that KES stalked our Soompi to see what we want and decided to cater to our wishes. I think she may have changed the trajectory of the drama to please Soompi Monarchs :joy::lol:

She probably planned to separate LG and JTE forever, or kill JTE or JY or even LG and have a sad ending. She changed her story mid-way to please us. What do you think?  But she thinks I will give you most of what you want but not everything you want, so no wedding. Ha! Ha!  PM did say at Jenga that it is a sad love story but the death threats made KES change her mind.  :D

I liked the part where they resolved all the back stories and the characters new lives. The two SJs living their lives happily in KOC and ROK.  Luna being a adopted sister to the PM. I thought that part was lovely and well done. 

During the night of the treason, I wish the fight between LR and LG was more exciting e.g. LG and LR fighting each other for the flute. rolling on the ground and hitting each other, perhaps LG getting hurt or shot before killing LR. Something more life threatening. Perhaps fighting in the in-between part of the two universes. LR and JTE fighting and LR almost killing JTE before he disappeared because LG killed the younger LR. LR never really tried to fight back. A villain should be more aggressive.  That LG went back to pick up wounded JY, give him a hug for saving baby LG  and head to the portal, back to 2020. 

Questions:

1. I thought I saw baby LG drop the sword and run out of the room when the shooting began so he was ways away and safe from the shooting. So I was surprised that he was unconscious near the center of the room and JY checking to see if he was alive. Also why is baby LG unconscious. I did not see him being hit or hurt so I am confused about that. The last I saw of baby LG was that he was running out of the room.
  2.  Luna in 2022 outside the Haesong book store. How did LG get a video of that on JY's laptop in 2020?  It was not JTE, it was not relevant to JY or LG so why was it on the laptop? What did it signify?  Why was it so important and Yoyo boy was staring at the camera at LG? And all the time it was Luna that LG does not care about. I wonder if LG looked for SJ and Luna in KOC? 
  3. Luna called JTE's dad to say she would be late and she walked away in pain. Was she dying?
  4. Since LR did not kill Prince Buyeong. He should still be alive and heir to the throne, right? So why did LG not introduce her directly to the prince?  And Prince Buyeong did not recognize LG ?  Did they go back in time to see Prince Buyeong? Why?

I think JTE, JY and LG kept their memories because they went back in time or was at the in-between land. Lady Noh still knows that she came from the other world and may guess where JTE is from and where LG goes every weekend since she knows the secret of the flute. She could pressure LG to bring JTE back to KOC and get married. She moved and married in KOC so it has been done. LG had rashly previously announced that JTE is his future queen even though he knew Luna existed in KOC.  It did not faze him so why does he not propose again and not worry about the JTE double in KOC. It could be that some people just look alike or they could fake a long lost twin. Or he could bring Luna and her boyfriend SJ into the secret so they would not spill the beans. Since they are both police, they can be trusted to keep silent.   Or they could move to Australia and live in comfort under the largess of LG so there won't be confusion in Corea. There is so many things they could do. 

I love their travels BUT I don't like the fact that they did not marry and kept their relationship a secret. That they disappear every weekend? The king needs an heir. Won't his subjects and government and Lady Noh clamber for him to get married and produce an heir. Its his responsibility.  For God's sake he is the Eternal Monarch, if he does not produce an heir,  his reign dies with him. It goes to a relative so he is no longer eternal. His seed dies with him. So because of that, I don't like the ending. LG needs an heir.

However, this open ending could lead the way for a season two. Their adventures in rescuing  other universes with the magic flute. Another baddie disrupts their lives. They lose the flute in another universe and are stuck there. Finally they get married. 

Someone else could continue and not KES. She could sell her rights. Or get the lead director for Sunshine and Dots instead of the assistant director.  Lets see if @Wis dom is right in his prediction. Wonder if KGE and LMH will do it. KDH may not because of MS.

• Like 7

One more thing I would like to add is the X-factor about this series. 

There is always something that pulls you in to watch a series and in my honest opinion this series has got something right and wrong but I will first touch on the right in this comment as no movie or series is ever perfect such thing doesn't exist.It got something right and that was the addiction X-factor

It was addictive and made you come back for each episode it had that element and it stems from the mystery surrounding the story line and the premise making you second guess yourself which makes sure it catches you and makes you to return for each episode whether you love or hate it you were returning to watch this series and it's an element that goes undetected especially with a series like this one that is highly addictive  

• Like 6
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:

Me and you both !!!!! In all honesty, there was some backstory from the earlier episodes that could have been taken out and placing what happened now like the battle with LR to have occur much earlier. Although the whole Japan and KOC battle was cool, I would rather sacrifice that big chunk out and have instead included what happened in the year 2023.

oh well, they're current timeline is until 2022 right. Yup, it would be wonderful if we could see the next years of how these two. I have the some same sentiment like you. But well what has done couldn't be undone. we didn't have the flute like LG or could enter the kdrama world to change it. So what we can do is seeing if from other prespective, using our imagination more and let time do the rest to make us more at peace later, hahaha. You see how I feel quite disappointed over TH but as I wait TKEM episodes I ended up rewatching several episodes, as found the ending is much nicer than I felt in the first watching, somehow it feels more acceptable than before. Back then TH's ending also left me with the same feeling for TKEM, happy ending but also somewhat unsatisfied, :lol: blame this to the short length of episodes, I guess if could go even longer than 16, then it would be better. well I may sound like a broken cassette repeating the same thing here. pfft

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:

Other inconsistencies was the whole magical flute thing appearing every 20 years and in the end seeing LG with still half a flute in his whip? That just lead me to all sorts of confused and messed up. Also what the heck did JTE tell Luna to get?????

Should we call this the bug, the plot hole or whatever they call it. I thought he should have the complete piece of the flute but yeah as I told you he still carries the half one like he always does. The flute is the yoyo adult, they all go all out just to return him into that bully guy, LOL.

Spoiler

• Like 2

Hi guys, so.... we're here at the final :tears:damn what do I do with life now. I want to share my thought on the final episode.

This series has many flaws, indeed. They should have more episodes, 20 maybe. There so many to explore yet so little time. I guess I just not yet ready to say goodbye :tears: but I feel great about how the story ends.

First, I know we all want JTE and LG to rule the kingdom as king and his beloved queen, we all indeed like to witness some baby making process and the holy birth of the royal heirs. But I see here that KES actually gives us openly happy ending and I personally love it. They show us happy moments of our OTP's life but still left us so much for our imagination. I mean, they should be have babies at some times in their life for they are so in love, I'd like to think that they went on dates and make love in every universe they visited (that's what I've been imagine since the shows end :lol:). I also think, at this point, they aren't just humans, they have superpowers to travel through times and spaces and they keep the world in balance. They could've just lived in KOC, they could go in certain time when Luna in KOC still young and haven't meet KSY dan her mom yet and then throw her to another universe so that JTE wont have any counterparts in KOC, but yet they didn't. Unlike LL, they didn't sacrifice others life to achieve their goals, instead they protect and save lives. Their love story is on another level.

And I never get tired saying this, this series has THE BEST HUGS in all history of kdramas, LMH and KGE chemistry is out of this world. 

Also is there anyone here care to make a good ff continuation of the kiss in CCTV Room? Like what happen after? Did they make it to the glorious king's chamber or what? Anyone care to elaborate?

I'm gonna miss this series. Gonna miss the cast. Lee Min Ho charisma and Kim Go Eun charms. Their kisses and hugs, their adorable BTS. I'm so emotional right now, I went bipolar in one night!!!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

done:thumbsup:From ep 1-15 seems like full of theory and when I watched ep.16 seem a puzzle is complete and make sense.. the Yoyo boy is the best hidden plot that KES did in TKEM :lol::Doverall it's a satisfying happy ending..:lol: one of my fav drama in 2020 so far. TKEM has everything. the best story sci-fi fantasy romancecommelodrama genre?!? i guess haha.. :lol:from the best main lead even supporting actor has the great acting. the best cinematography. the best OSTs AND the best chemistry on off screen between lee min ho and kim go eun is no joke :wub::lol: I hope they will meet again in another project :wub: Thanks to writernim.. pd~nim and all the cast in this drama for more 2 months.. i had a great time watch this drama:D

a love that goes beyond universe between parallel world :heart:

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I loved the ending finale it gave us good closure on our couple getting their happy ending. 

I felt sad for SJ's mom and I was happy when her son didn't get hit by that car. LG saved that boy without knowing it by just throwing a ball to him. The fault lays with the father he swapped her son with another one that can walk without ever telling her damn. The gambler mom got a happy ending where she got her little boy walking again and he turned into a wealthy person. She truly got a happy ending now and she won't be a gambler anymore hopefully

• Like 8

Okay i watched the episode!! 

JY..oh I cried when he protected young LG and then died :bawling:

but why do I feel so bittersweet..like the ending wasn’t enough. If Lady Noh could stay in KOC, how come TE didn’t? Perhaps she didn’t want to leave her loved ones behind. 

the idea that they are lovers and time traveling is quite refreshing but..why is it that I feel so bittersweet?? Lol. I can’t put my head around it yet.

but i do love the implication that they grew old together.. :wub:

• Like 5
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

but why do I feel so bittersweet..like the ending wasn’t enough. If Lady Noh could stay in KOC,

how come TE didn’t? Perhaps she didn’t want to leave her loved ones behind. 

Lady Noh time-travel incident happened back in the 1949-50 where as our time reset only happened from 94 which means everything that took place before 94 is still the same and what changed is only 94-->future 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, CallieP said:
  1. I thought I saw baby LG drop the sword and run out of the room when the shooting began so he was ways away and safe from the shooting. So I was surprised that he was unconscious near the center of the room and JY checking to see if he was alive. Also why is baby LG unconscious. I did not see him being hit or hurt so I am confused about that. The last I saw of baby LG was that he was running out of the room.
  2.  Luna in 2022 outside the Haesong book store. How did LG get a video of that on JY's laptop in 2020?  It was not JTE, it was not relevant to JY or LG so why was it on the laptop? What did it signify?  Why was it so important and Yoyo boy was staring at the camera at LG? And all the time it was Luna that LG does not care about. I wonder if LG looked for SJ and Luna in KOC? 
  3. Luna called JTE's dad to say she would be late and she walked away in pain. Was she dying?
  4. Since LR did not kill Prince Buyeong. He should still be alive and heir to the throne, right? So why did LG not introduce her directly to the prince?  And Prince Buyeong did not recognize LG ?  Did they go back in time to see Prince Buyeong? Why?

1. Child LG tried to run and was stopped by the bookstore keeper guy who held him at gunpoint. He asked LR if he should kill him and LR gave the order but then the glass ceiling came down. Child LG tried to protect himself from the glass as he was running away, LG and JY came walking in and started shooting around so child LR stayed by the stairs cowering down trying to stay away from crossfire. 
  2. I think yoyo kid put that video there. He is probably just showing LG there is a future and all will be well. LG didn't have to fight fate; he just have to follow it through. It's just going to take until 2022 to arrive to where he wants to be.
  3. I think she was in pain from her cancer and didn't want JTE's father to see that so she pretended she's out for work. 
  4. Prince B is still alive but he doesn't have memories of previous time loops. LG probably wants to keep JTE a secret since she might not become queen. In order for Prince B and JTE to meet, they'll have to go back in time to when Prince B doesn't recognize him. They went to see Prince B in 2000, when LG is around 13 years old so he wouldn't know the adult LG. 
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

Was that the cousin the one JY broke his neck?

Yup

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that.

i had to pause for 5 minutes cus I was laughing so hard that tears were pouring out 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

3 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Yup

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that.

i had to pause for 5 minutes cus I was laughing so hard that tears were pouring out 

I didn't noticed that it was him because he had a Royal guard earphones and I quickly assumed he was one of the guards. I guess he was listening to what the royal guards were saying.. 

His death in 94 means dude is really dead both in the past and future.. His gone completely

• Like 6

So i guess KES next project is about the secret agent love story.... romantic thriller???? Maybe a love story between NIS special agent and an actress???? :grin::glasses:

She usually mention a hint about her next project at the end. And I see actress Tae Ra who just won a daesang. And TE mention about she love this kind of genre which is secret agent love story.... hihihihihi I hope it will come true 

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

101491160.1.jpg

Beyond the limits of drama; the legacy of "The King"

Let's love the fate that chooses us. Just for today, just for today, forever"

"The King-Eternal Monarch," which surpassed the limits of the drama with extreme imagination, had the grand finale of the "Parallel World Fantasy Romance" with the 16th episode.

In the final episode of SBS' Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch" (written by Kim Eun-sook/di

rected by Baek Sang-hoon, produced by Jung Ji-hyun/produced by Hwa&Dam Pictures), Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho), who returned to the night of treason, joined forces with Jo Young-hwan to save himself in the past, and recovered the balance of Lee Rim (Lee Jung-jin) with his signature sword.

Legacy of "The King-Eternal Monarch" 1. <Extreme Imagination! Expanding the Platform of Story!>

Kim Eun-sook, who led a number of fantasy romance dramas with her outstanding imagination and living history of the Korean romantic drama scene, built a fresh story that she had never seen before against the backdrop of parallel worlds through "The King." Writer Kim Eun-sook, who created her own worldviews in "The Goblin" and "Mr. Sunshine," also subdivided parallel world into two worlds: "The Korean Empire" and "The Republic of Korea," and expanded the story platform with the setting that space movement and time travel are possible. Moreover, the novelty of "Peaceful World Fantasy Romance" was achieved by using materials that appeared in Korean folktales such as Manpasikjeok to create a mysterious and dim atmosphere.

Legacy of "The King-Eternal Monarch"  2.  <Lee Min-ho, Kim Go-eun, Woo Do-hwan, Kim Kyung-nam, Jung Eun-chae, Lee Jung-jin, Rediscovery of Actors>

The actors Lee Min-ho, Kim Go-eun, Woo Do-hwan, Kim Kyung-nam, Jung Eun-chae, and Lee Jung-jin have been praised for rediscovering their life characters. First of all, Lee Min-ho, who played the role of Lee Gon, the emperor of the Korean Empire, captured the small screen with a more mature performance, showing his dignified charisma as an emperor of natural science and mathematics. Kim Go-eun played the role of righteous and positive Korean detective Jung Tae-eul and the dark-colored Korean Empire criminal Luna, successfully completing her first two-person role in her acting career. In addition, Woo Do-hwan attracted viewers with his passionate performance that transcends strength and cuteness by playing a double role as Jo Young, captain of the Korean Empire Guards, and Jo Eun-seop, a Korean social service agent. On top of that, Kim Kyung-nam, who played the role of Kang Shin-jae, a Korean actor with solid acting skills, left a strong impression with his heavy presence. Jung Eun-chae, who transformed herself into Gu Seo-ryeong, the youngest and first female prime minister of the Korean Empire, built a wider acting spectrum through her acting. Finally, Lee Jung-jin, who turned into the most powerful character in his 22 years of acting career, turned into Lee Rim, the Imperial Prince Geumchin of the Korean Empire, and showed a vigorous performance that amplified tension with a solid villain across the two worlds.

Legacy of "The King-Eternal Monarch"  3. <"Exploration of a unique genre; The Return of Emotional Drama">

"The King" completed the parallel world visuals by creating a beautiful visual beauty on a grand and vast scale. They created "Parallel World Fantasy Romance" by drawing brilliant and mysterious images with emotional touch and sensual visual beauty. In particular, various colors in the dimensional door were shown, and more fantastic images were presented with illustrations-like effects on water droplets and snowflakes as time stops. It has pioneered a unique genre of "Parallel World Fantasy Romance," which is a mixture of fairytale-like innocence, fateful romance, suspenseful mysteries and intense action, to provide rich attractions.

"We would like to thank the viewers for their generous love and attention to "The King-Eternal Monarch" of the different genre of 'Parallel World Fantasy Romance,' and we hope it will be a work that will be remembered forever for the beautiful peaceful world that was portrayed in the end." 

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20200613/101491161/1

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1