[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, gwin said:

THOSE PHOTOS OF THEM ON THE BEACH (POSTED ON THEIR IG'S) WERE TOTALLY NOT FOR THE SHOW.  OMG. 

They used the beach, when they were choosing their "costumes" for their next adventure (and LG slyly convincing TE to do the caveman route, LOL).  The holding-hands & giddy poses though -- make you wonder what's that all about eh?

• Like 5

Just now, mychoiyoung said:

They used the beach, when they were choosing their "costumes" for their next adventure (and LG slyly convincing TE to do the caveman route, LOL).  The holding-hands & giddy poses though -- make you wonder what's that all about eh?

Yeah, i meant the photos!  Initially people thought that was a screenshot from a scene for a future episode.  But now we know they just posed!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, gwin said:

I AM SO HAPPY THEY CHOSE TO USE THE SONG DREAM IN TWO OF THE MOST IMPORTANT MOMENTS IN THE FINALE!

3 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

I love how they closed off with Dream playing. What a perfect way to end the drama, my favorite OST.

Same! :D Love Dream, when it plays in episode 10 my heart can barely take it - in a mostly good way though. Pretty happy there are more scenes with it now and also happy ones. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I have mixed emotions. The first half was great and I was so worried that they were going to kill one of them or have them lost to each other forever. But the last half felt like a quick wrap up of stories in preparation for a second season where they wander around the Universe solving all the unanswered stuff we never got to so while I love it I feel kind of let down. There were so many storylines  that were never flushed out. It’s like they need more time to do the stories of the other characters, So when is the second season so we can really get to all of that. That is one of my complaints about the Netflix series. They have a habit of leaving the ending of a season half done. The did that with “Vagabon” . The storyline seemed to wrap up then they added just enough stuff so that you were left with a feeling that there should be more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

She was hilarious! I wouldn’t mind a spin off where LG got stuck in that world :lol:

Episode 16 was so light, wasn’t it? I felt like I was floating on air for the last 40 minutes. 

I did too, BEST EPISODE EVER!!!.

I loved Loved how KES Sort of Pulled PJE with this CSY and LOTBS kinda HE/SHE came back atlast momentos!!!

Kinda Like Yeah If My HEIRS had a Ridiculous Dressing Dept, Your Lead character was WAY over her head , who would be rejected if she had written DMJ lol.....

And then saying I gave GOBLIN the stare and NO Heart thumping ending My bad, I will borrow your LOTBS Hero and Make his Heroine pine to meet him the next minute scene Like you did beautifully. :) 

1 hour ago, AgentQuake said:

So we basically got a LOTBS ending, but in my opinion, it worked much much better this time.  Both of them kept their memories - with the added bonus of Yeong, nobody died, and there was a REASON for memory wiping this time - they literally reset the whole universe. 

The leaves.  The leaves.  I can't with the leaves.

DEAR GOD, He actually theorized they will end up in Mesolithic ERA, He actually wanted to Make her wear the LEAVES . :lol:

1 hour ago, AgentQuake said:

KSR's PM term would have been over in 2021.  Since Sec Mo didn't become PM in 2021, and LG was still looking for JTE, that concludes that she became PM in 2026, making LG 40+ years old.  In 2022/2023, Lady Noh was still yelling at him to pound the rice until a little baby rabbit came out of it.  If the country was already complaining about the lack of heirs in 2019, then they'd be livid and burning down the palace in 2026.

I also find it hard to believe that LG and JTE were pounding rice all over the timeline in multiple universes, in time periods before the morning after pill was created, and not have a kid.

GUYS it's probably Mia Thermopolis.  JTE hid her in the ROK until she was 16, and then she went to KOC to become Princess.  In the books her dad didn't die okay.

2026? By 2021 or most probably by 2020 end LG did find JTE's ROK from what I understood, they never showed the YEAR he ended up in the Correct ROK. Sec Mo most probably took over the PM position by 2022 I think anyway.

Say what?? Again how does Princess of KOC ends up being in Genovia. LOL.

REVIEW>>>>THE BEST AND MY MOST CONFUSING EPISODE SO FAR.

This Episode was SO POETICALLY SHOT.

0-1 Passage Lit Up with Flowers with wind in SLOW-MO when LR was shot by JTE and The pictures, The Unbalanced futures that were created BURNED To ashes, LR evaporated in SMOKE ALA VOLDEMORT- Gave me xianxia Feels Hard!

LG and LH chanting the Poem of FOUR Tiger SWORD under the Falling SNOW  - Beautiful!!

The BEST SCENE FOR me ... JY covered Baby LG while shooting the traitors, And at last HE CHECKED THE PULSE and hugged baby LG, IT was so heartbreaking Beautiful.

LG and JY walking through the Palace Shooting, Yummalacious :ph34r:

1. I have given up on understanding how did the TIMELINE MERGED.

2. JY oh you MSD my heart in a very Good way . THANK YOU KES For saving HIM.

3. DID EVERY SINGLE One of MISS the Scene of Handsome Bully Guy (LG's rowing partner in KOC) playing with the Yoyo?Or was it Never Shown... WHAT A SCENE, I loved loved the REVEAL!!>>>This KID was SAGE/FATE!!---->GOOSEBUMPS

4. Jeong Tae-Ra meeting LG and him saying You already have the flowers with blank face!!! HAH I loved that One.

5. Chief Scene - Who is SEUNG MIN??? I mean yeah who is He??

6. SJ and HM happy, SJ's mom hugging HM and calling Him son and not abandoning HIM , so good.

7. The People Who were in the 0-1 Passage when The FLUTE was back again were the Only ones to retain memories because they went back in their own time with All memories retained.LG-JTE-JY (LR942020 would have retained as well if his timelines merged), or FATE Kid only Granted 3 of those to Remember their Blessing and their Curse.

8.LG packing LEAVES...OMG (Voice similar to JANICE from Friends)

9. JTE Teasing LG about JY cussing him hahhahaaa, she wants to take revenge from JY, Then when LEEEUL catch JY-SA shaking hands , and LG goes WHAAAT????? LOLOLOLOL, JTE is like I am the One for you, hE IS NOT deserving to be my Co-Wife lolololl

10. JY is like Pyeha AGAIN!!!  He is like AUISHHH, Already I have 2 kids, one GF , one brother who runs away with my sister-in-law but doesn't stay STILL...#toomuchtohandle

11. Sec Mo's SON is SOOO SOOO SOO CUTE :wub:

12. Lady Noh Just wants the Crown Prince, she allowed a Random lady to spend the night with LG hahahaha.

13. I wish we would have seen a LJH-LMH Parallel universe as well , hmmm.

14. LG saving KID SJ from THAT ACCIDENT!! Thank You FATE KID, You did not LET SJ have the memories of JTE , But gave him his soulmate Luna and the Parents and Life that both the HIM Deserved.

15. JTE and LG meeting AT LAST AWWWW.......

16. LG getting forlorn when at last he sees JTE and UNCLE Prince meeting.

17. PM Koo and LUNA are sisters, PM Koo's secretary is now her Police officer and She cannot handle his shreaky ORDERS???EPIC!!! PM Koo is MOST WASTED-USELESS Character in this Show.

18. WHY IS UNCLE Prince DEAD in 2020 Reset Timeline KOC? OR simply not there anymore??? HE should be alive right???

19. LR Counterpart getting a UNCLE I Love You card from Ji-Hun, Aww somewhere round the corner UNCLE - Nephew existed.

20. HAPPIEST ENDING EVER!!!LEEEUL Were NEVER Bound By any rules Be it SCIENCE-ARTS, Universes, LAW and Order or MArriage Contract, SHE is his Queen and He Her KING without the Boundation of UNIVERSE!!!

SPECIAL MENTION:

CASTING TEAM : All the Fathers/Uncles/Kid Counterpart LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME ....KUDOS!!!

KIDS IN TK:EM

1. Baby LG - He hits all the EMOTIONAL Notes on RIGHT POINT.

2. Baby JY, kk-bi, Eun-Bi- The guys are cute, The sister Rules though.

3. Baby TE/Luna- Aww she is so good.

4. Teen PM Koo- Man her voice modulation and posture was to the T.

5. Yoyo KID- Wow Just Wow, EVEN the older one and younger KID, Voice modulation and STRING OF FATE WOW Hats Off.

• Like 11
  • Love 5

The Math graphs called it :lol:

3dcN6vb.png

uvdOrZi.png

On 5/21/2020 at 2:38 AM, syntyche said:

Beautiful Mathematics of “The King” (Part 2)

Lee Gon and Tae Eul may have different lives, and when left on their own separate worlds, they diverge. But when together, they converge, between 0 and 1.

Also, in the place between 0 and 1, Tae Eul plants the seeds of imaginary flowers from the Kingdom of Corea. With no wind, rain, nor time, the seeds may never bloom; just as her and Lee Gon coming from different worlds, they may never be together. But she had faith enough as she sows the seeds of their love, and with that love, they would eventually converge between 0 and 1.

• Like 5
  • Love 8

Also can I just say a big shout-out to JY!!! MY HERO!

I was worried the whole week that young LG would die/be erased in some way and when JY basically went:

"No. Freaking. Way."

to LG's suggestion that they might risk his life I was so incredibly happy. (I'm pretty sure that is the accurate quote, it is what I remember anyway :D)

My general opinion about this ending: Do I think the drama ran out of time starting at around ep 14? Sure and honestly it is a shame ;). However: Am I incredibly happy that there was a happy ending? Yes! And I'm grateful for having followed it while it was airing and being able to discuss it with you all. It's been so much fun! :lol:

• Like 5
  • Love 4

You know what's fascinating. 

Ep 1 Baby Lee Gon in 1994 was too young to wield the sword and kill Lee Lim. He only broke the flute in half.

Last episode Adult Lee Gon comes back and wields the sword with utmost strength and power and he kills Lee Lim.

As Lady Noh says, this is all part of a plan. 

And as Jung Tae Eul says, it all comes together.

I can't believe we reached the end of this drama. It didn't feel like the ending because my brain immediately thought of what would happen in tomorrow's episode. I thought of seeing LG and TE growing old together because just a close up shot of their old hands was not enough. But the realization came when I checked the episode number. 16. the ending. 

I had a great time reading through the posts in this thread. Most of the time I enjoyed my experience reading the posts more than watching the drama. Thanks everyone here. It was an amazing journey with all of you. 

• Like 8
  • Love 6

Everybody happy with the finale?

Happy that our OTP was given an out for the unconventional circumstance of their love story but I just find the finale... lightweight. Given that the premise has so much gravitas.  I enjoyed watching the finale but am not  satisfied.  I will just leave it at that.

• Like 13
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

happy ending all around! couldn't  be better. :wub:

there were a few things I thought was lacking though. LR died too easily. action scene was too short. satisfying but not enough of it! also would have liked to see how LG saved JY and how they got out. and how TE got out. i was almost afraid she would be stuck in there. they just left it to our imagination.

I kinda wish LG and Te could settle down in one place, get married and have a normal life though. but I guess this will do. 

and then I'm really puzzled how LR's death changed the lives of so many that had nothing to do with LR in the first place? eg healthy Luna,  prime minister koo and her secretary, jy's new siblings . 

I'm glad our OTP retained their memories. and such true love.. LG went everywhere looking for her :bawling:

Poor Jy though, he remembers ES but will never see him again. LG should have brought JY to see ES from afar at least. also ES in a suit is still ES... somehow it doesnt suit him. I dunno why JY looks so suave but not ES. its the same person :joy:

I'm sorry SJ disappeared. yes he lives in ROC now but it's not the SJ we knew :cry: yes he has a great life but still... 

whew. what a ride. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

Siiiiigh

I've decided that I love the ending with JTE NOT becoming Queen.  And it's one last FU to the original PM.

JTE doesn't want to be Queen, she wants LG.

LG wants HER, and by association, she would become the Queen.  But he also really enjoyed living in anonymity in ROK and the privacy he got without having to sneak past all the guards.

This is literally the best of both worlds. They do their jobs (very well) in their weekly lives, then get together on the weekends and step away from it all.

When LG's ready to retire, he can pass along the throne to Sejin, since Evil Cousin got er...cracked. 

So JTE literally got the King, the Queen position, the power and respect that comes with it, and she stepped away from all  of to have just LG.   ISSSS BOOTYFUL

• Like 6
  • Love 16
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, SCSfanz said:

Poor Jy though, he remembers ES but will never see him again. LG should have brought JY to see ES from afar at least. also ES in a suit is still ES... somehow it doesnt suit him. I dunno why JY looks so suave but not ES. its the same person :joy:

I'm sorry SJ disappeared. yes he lives in ROC now but it's not the SJ we knew :cry: yes he has a great life but still... 

That ES-JY differentiation EVEN in the same Costume is WDH's Credit. Like Man how do they always Look Like 2 different People despite being the same ACTOR. He DOES THE TWINChacha the BEST IMO.

I like the UPGRADED SJ's, I was DONE with his SHinchan Frowns , I LOVED The Chaebol and Happy In Love SJ 

I but somehow feel , his character graph was tweaked in the last bits, so was WDH's and KGE's LUNA , because from the initial synopsis SJ should have played a Bigger role and LUNA had the Most impactful SOUL, also WDH's would have been something other being the fierce loyalist maybe....

Synopsis--->ON AIR Changes

• LG being disappointed in JY -I love what they did for WDH, LG couldn't have succeeded without HIS UNBREAKABLE SWORD!! 
  • SJ being the Master Card - SJ in overall scheme was just a Collateral Damage nothing else, BUT HE got was What his at last makes me as a audience happy.
  • LUNA being the most SOULFUL - Luna...Well I don't get her character importance anyhow in the BIGGER SCHEME of things, HER Only relevant part was to Direct LG to the BAMBOO Forest.That is it.

BUT the Surprise REVEAL...I wish They would have shown the YOYO Kid's Older version man I am still gloating over the reveal!!.

STILL the BEST ENDING Possible. :D 

• Like 11
  • Love 6

16 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

Also can I just say a big shout-out to JY!!! MY HERO!

I was worried the whole week that young LG would die/be erased in some way and when JY basically went:

to LG's suggestion that they might risk his life I was so incredibly happy. (I'm pretty sure that is the accurate quote, it is what I remember anyway :D)

My general opinion about this ending: Do I think the drama ran out of time starting at around ep 14? Sure and honestly it is a shame ;). However: Am I incredibly happy that there was a happy ending? Yes! And I'm grateful for having followed it while it was airing and being able to discuss it with you all. It's been so much fun! :lol:

You spoke my mind! It’s a shame BUT it’s the end and am just going to love it for what it is. I had so much fun on this unpredictable rollercoaster ride. It was thrilling, fascinating and mind blowing! Does it have flaws? Sure. But I’m going to ignore it and focus on what I love about it instead.

THANK YOU TKEM for giving us LMH and KGE as a pairing because they were wonderful! Thank you for giving us LMH as LG, the king of romance on one end and a merciless king on the other end. Thank for you giving us KGE as JTE and Luna, a strong and tough yet, soft hearted detective and a pitiful criminal. Thank you for giving us WDH as JY and ES, a faithful guard who’s loyalty knows no bounds and an innocent man with 65 dreams who was dragged along into this crazy world and cooperated like a trooper. Thank you for giving us KKN as KSJ, who was a tough and stubborn being, damaged, broken and pitiful at the same time. Thank you for giving us LJI as LR, a stupid villain at times but also hot so I forgive :lol:. Thank you for giving us Lady Noh (don’t know the actress’s name), the most shocking character and also a lovable one. 

I had so much fun. I will not forget this drama and the 2 months it drove me crazy. All the science and literature I learned, all the theories I made, all the spazzing and jokes here with you guys, they were all wonderful moments. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

Hello everyone! I have been lurking but wanted to say hi! Thanks to the great active fans @Yippeun_eonnie :heart:  @Ameera Ali-posts/comments (waves long time no see-prob don't remember me I remember you! ) @jeonghyang and nice thoughts  @madmad min and recap of the final episode. I have not watched it as I am still at work and it is 2pm here in USA (east coast). 

So thanks to everyone's hard work, I cannot wait to watch the actual episode. But pics, gifs and awesome comments and recaps here definitely are helpful.

I admit while watching The King---I have been enjoying the acting, but the story line at times lost me especially in the first half and I found the CG graphics at times not so impressive. But Kim Go Eun (loved her since Cheese in the Trap and her acting never disappoints) , Woo Do Wan (looking so fine and sexy as Jo Young) and Lee Min Ho (he maintained great chemi with Kim Go Eun---I don't get the naysayers) kept me going. Lee Jung Jin  as Lee Rim was amazing. I have followed and enjoyed his acting over the years but LOVED LOVED him in this role. He did evil so well. Kim Kyung Nam as Shin Jae loving TE---I liked those flashback where she used her looks to get new recruits. SJ was so smitten. Sad that TE did not catch up. But would have it mattered if she knew earlier? We will never know, but I loved his loyalty to her. Though he disliked LG, he did help him as he did wish for TE happiness. It was crazy though finding out he switched worlds (mind was blown) same with Lady Noh (Kim Young Ok) too. Gosh I have seen this actress in many dramas (as many long time drama viewers know her) but as Lady Noh she was brilliant. Loved when LG thanked her for her hard work and keeping the secret. But also letting LG (leave the scene where his dad was killed) despite looking suspicious and all in black too.) Then later she assisted LG after realizing TE was key to the destiny LG had to fulfill. YESH! Never really knew Jung Eun Chae as the PM, but her version of was great and she wore killer heels and had a killer wardrobe to boot.  She did it so well you disliked her enough.I liked how she was smart to use "Mackerel" as the code dinner word. How she broke down when her "mom" answered not saying it in a recent episode. 

Enjoyed the comic relief of Kang Ho Suk as JangMi as Tae Eul's hoobae in her team. Those outrageous outfits and when the team first met him thinking he was the CROOK! But he is so hardworking and earnest. Kim Yong Ji as Nari (I don't recall this actress) but she is pretty and I liked her alot. Her flirting with both of Woo Do Hwan's character in both Universes was cute. From Young (cannot blame her!) to ES  (he is too clumsy cute and his adoration for his much younger sibs was adorbs. Woo Do Hwan was soooooo good going in satori just slayed. Loved when Young as ES did a great job and did it to Lee Gon (LOL).

Moon Woo Jin (kid plays young Hyun Min) was great to see him as I am seeing him in Once Again 한 번 다녀왔습니다(weekend drama). My first one to watch in eternity.  Jung Si Yul (kid plays young Jo Young) I was like---wait that is Ikjun's son in 슬기로운 의사생활; Hospital Playlist. (Still cannot get over that amazing drama---so eagerly awaiting S2). Jung Ye Na as ES younger sis Eun Bi was hilarious. I loved how she KNEW immediately that Young was NOT her oppa ES. The glare and her -my eyes are on you watching your every move was adorbs and CUTE!

Love when Young and ES had their tearful goodbye. I admit the comic relief was needed was done by the talented Woo Do Hwan. When ES was patting himself on the back---omg I look this good looking at an incredulous Young. LOL.  ES we love you and YESH you clean up well. 

Enough here for now. Just saying a few things before I go into the finale tonight. But back into lurking mode, thanks for the forum . Soompi is such a blessing. Thanks everyone. 

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

What an ending! I will be having a happy good night's sleep :)

I think whether they got married or not, with kids or none, is open to interpretation.

BUT, to me, they got married and had children at some point. I'm sure both of them will make every way to be together (just like JTE going to the in-between ready to stay there forever if all else fails. LG opening every door to get to his JTE). The old hands holding represents that they are together and loving each other until their old age.

They accepted the fate that chose them means they accepted that:

- they will live on two worlds (multiple universes even)

- they will not be with each other more than half of the time (every weekends are not bad, it's just like having a spouse who works overseas)

- they will eternally be a time traveling couple just because they can

The ending is a satisfying and a happy one with memories of the leaf on JTE and kisses I would have better seen from the side. Now that TKEM is finished, I will be back to Episode 1 :rolleyes: And ship Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun :wub:

• Like 6
  • Love 7

Also, why am I so happy that LUNA got her happy ending?

Shout out to PM's real mother.  She obviously has a lot of love to give, and I never liked the way PM treated her in the other timelines.  It's nice to see that she got herself a REAL daughter now, and her love to Luna put her on the right path. 

I'm only a little miffed on SJ's ending - as a viewer.  For the actual character himself, I'm so happy for both of his versions.  He's got his close friends, he has his mother, he has his life and health, and he's made something of himself.  And he's happy.

But as a viewer, it hurts a little that he lost the found family he had in ROK. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 4