[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

10 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

How could a small details like this give me GOOSEBUMPS :D 

@Sejabin oppa need to come back with new drama quickly :tears:

That’s one of the underrated scene in the drama. No one is paying attention and I’m like? Did you see the hotness????? Sexiness aside, that scene showed the traumatic LG, even tho he is playing it cool and dandy, he had traumatic experience, and it effect him. 

And he is just so handsome!!!

• Like 10
  • Love 8

13 minutes ago, scrawford said:

That’s one of the underrated scene in the drama. No one is paying attention and I’m like? Did you see the hotness????? Sexiness aside, that scene showed the traumatic LG, even tho he is playing it cool and dandy, he had traumatic experience, and it effect him. 

I love it, him taking off the tie, him breathing, him touching his sexy neck! Definitely one of my favorite LG scenes.

And not just because he’s so damn sexy but because it shows he’s suffering. I also like his intro scene where he stopped the stylist from buttoning his shirt. 

My only wish is that we would have gotten a scene where JTE witnessed his suffering and comforted him. Ugh, what a missed opportunity. Things could have escalated to another bed scene too. :lol:

18 minutes ago, an-naum said:

Less than 24hours... Yeay!!! 

I'll enjoy the BTS til tomorrow. Not the group BTS though. 

Hahahahahaha I concur. 

Give me only LeeEul! We better get all the hospital scenes uncut! 

• Like 6
  • Love 9

There are two things I'm really curious about after looking through different episode photos and the preview...

First another thing though. When I saw the flower scene at the end of episode 10 I assumed that LG was saying goodbye because something was either happening to him or the doors were closing forever (from futureLG's perspective). I thought this made sense because of his devastated face and his comment about "...traveling through the frozen moments in time." However after watching episode 15 it seemed to me more likely that he would probably time travel to say goodbye to JTE before going back to the night of treason. In ep 15 we saw the flowers disappearing, which could mean either that he is being erased from time  (but that the flower scene still 'happened' in a matter of speaking - kinda a reversal of the phone booth writing scene in ep 14) or that this future event changed or didn't happen at all (as others have suggested)... 

...so in light of spoiler preview photos and the preview:

1#

Spoiler

It seems like we will get a re-do/new version of the flower scene from episode 10. JTE is here wearing the necklace (and other clothes), otherwise things seem to be the same. LG is not yet covered in blood. This change could have happened simply because of LG's time traveling in episode 14, since it changed their relationship a little bit. JTE even stating that she came to embrace her fate earlier - which could explain why she is already wearing the necklace. But I feel that there is probably, but not necessarily, another reason why the drama will show us another version of that scene.

Seeing the scene again at all makes sense, since it will be from LG's point of view. They have however decided to film a new version of it, which narratively they didn't have to (the rescue played out the same so this could do as well), so there is probably some other reason. I'm guessing that the scene will most likely play out differently, in what way is the question? I don't know. I'm assuming it will still be a pastJTE he visits. Will we still get the line about the frozen moments in time - and what will they mean?

2#

Very curious about why LG is touching his throat with tears in his eyes. JY is crying as well. LG seems to be in the bamboo forest though and JY at the palace(?). Will LG's scar disappear? In that case it is more likely that someone will manage to save young LG before LL tries to strangle him, since young LG cuts the flute in half just seconds before. This could be what JY ends up doing, however the preview does sometimes seem to be cut to mislead the viewer...I'm really hoping it won't be because of something more ominous, such as LL managing to kill young LG or something similar. 

I also just want to say that the flowers are so incredibly beautiful!

• Like 5
  • Love 6

49 minutes ago, scrawford said:

True, he looks divine. Aside from being a natural looker, whatever regimen he is doing, it is working :)

SO FRIDAY IS HERE! Less than 24 hours till TKEM Finale... problem is am not ready yet.  If I can help it, I hope to skip the live watch, avoid this forum and savour Netflix.

Which leads me to wonder:  Since this is the Finale - would it wise to have a live recap? Shouldn't we avoid spoiling it for others yet to see it in Netflix?  I just remembered the time of EndGame where the fans were asked not to spoil it for others in social media.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

@nikki7 i did a whole reply to add to your preview thoughts and it didn’t work because i tried to respond to it from inside the post haha. My phone started separating all the quotes haha. 

So i will do it this way lol:

61691-AA2-6-F80-4-EDE-8-D3-B-BAD839-CEF0

My guess is that this is definitely Luna. Luna is often displayed as a pale person with a melancholy look. Looking at the expression, this has to be Luna. I wonder if she is crying because something happened to TE on the road or because she sees a happy moment and realizes it is not really hers to have. Or maybe she is simply crying a tear of joy for feeling loved. 

C3-E1-E252-1-C50-4625-8-B93-E6-E66-F348-

It is snowing (or is it?) so I am trying to remember if it was snowing during the treason night. I don’t recall it snowing. So this can be before JY gets hurts. LG may have realized something and is running. He isn’t bloodied yet so I am thinking the bloodied scene is after JY gets hurt. Maybe he is running to save JY. 

I really don’t want JY to be killed off but looking at the clip again, he sheds a tear with his eyes closed. Is he exhausted or is he dying? I hope he is just exhausted but I have a feeling KES will kill someone off and that person will be LG’s unbreakable sword :tears:

LR’s watch may indicate time is flowing again if it’s occurring in the time between. He may have already been destroyed at this point and the flute is whole again. 

Jacket of doom scene may be after everything that has happened. We may actually see the scene in episode 10 again but this time, a more extended version. 

And finally, someone did ask before if we had ever thought why this drama is called the Eternal Monarch. If KES doesn’t go the happy ending route, she may give us a King who travelled eternally to find TE and may still be doing it. He never truly succeeds. I would hate this ending! 

Spoiler

tenor.gif

thing is, KES wasn’t afraid to still kill off JET in Goblin because ET was not meant to be born from the start. I thought she would have some kind of mercy on Shin but she didn’t. So in regards to LG, there may also be no mercy either. KES may not give us a happy ending but I know she may give us a logical one. I hope I am wrong though. 

This is always the hardest part of watching a drama. We cannot predict the ending to this kind of genre and especially because it is KES we are talking about here :sweatingbullets: I wonder if tomorrow will be a good mess or a bad mess for us Monarchs :vicx:

Edit

@mychoiyoung i understand what you mean. Some may not want to be spoiled for the finale, but my humble opinion is that we should definitely still do live recaps :D i, for one, want to know how everything ends and then will go back to watch it with subs afterwards. I will go through a lot of angst, happiness and maybe even disappointment if the ending gives me a “what the heck..” but in the end, I will feel relieved (or not) haha.  I do know a few that will be restraining themselves from live recaps because they don’t want to be spoiled without subtitles. And some can only watch when NF puts up the episode too. As for me, I have a hard time keeping myself away from spoilers because I just have to know what happens right away  :sweat_smile: :joy:

• Like 5
  • Love 4

5 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

True, he looks divine. Aside from being a natural looker, whatever regimen he is doing, it really works

SO FRIDAY IS HERE! Less than 24 hours till TKEM Finale... problem is am not ready yet.  If I can help it, I hope to skip the live watch, avoid this forum and savour Netflix.

Which leads me to wonder:  Since this is the Finale - would it wise to have a live recap? Shouldn't we avoid spoiling it for others yet to see it in Netflix?  I just remembered the time of EndGame where the fans were asked not to spoil it for others in social media.

I’m going to avoid this forum and wait for netlfix cause I have to work tomorrow and I won’t be able to watch it right when it airs on Netflix. :(. So yeah I won’t be lurking 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Joje said:

I personally think JTE's character is evolving and in a realistic way.

Spoiler

She is a realist who took a risk to enter into a relationship even though she thought it would be short lived and yet still decided to enjoy it to the fullest. What she didn't realize is that, it's easier said than done and that's what she's experiencing now. The closer you get to someone, the deeper the bond and the harder it is to break that bond. Thanks to LR's kidnapping lol, they got the spend more time together. Talking and getting to know each other more and they even got intimate. The brain is different from the heart. What you think and what you feel are completely different. With the way LG loves, worship and adores her, she's bound to fall deeper in love with him. For a strong woman, this man has become her weakness. Her reaction to him being poisoned showed that she was starting to come into terms that she can't live without him. Then he left just out of the blue, no goodbye, he didn't even take JY with him especially with danger looming and the fact that the door needs to be closed. I can understand her emotions and tears. The worst part is the added memories, it deepens her love without her having physical contact with him. The frustration, confusion, fear, longing, uncertainty, waiting must have taken a toll on her. People may disagree with me but I think most of her tears are justified: She's probably experiencing this for the first in her life seeing that she's some how of a tomboy. LG even apologized several times during their hospital hug scene for always making her wait. Its not an easy situation. She's at a point where she simply can't live without LG yet she had to let him go.

She's still very clever, that's how she connected the dots and realized what LG might be up to hence her conversation with SJ.

In my opinion, JTE has done a lot and has played a very big role in all this. It's just that it's been told in a very subtle way. As @gwinsaid, she solved the Lee Sang Do case and that helped LG to capture his doppelganger at the horse stable in KOC. She again found out about Lee Gon's mother's doppelganger; Song Jeong-hye (SJH) and her family and that led them to her fake address (the field) in episode 9 which helped LG make the connection that she's with LR. That's how come LG was able to call the police station in 1994 with their names/details. It also led to him asking JY to look for SJH and to ask for help from SJ and that's what JY and SJ talking about in ep 15. Though JY followed SJH, he wouldn't have done much about it if not for the new memories of LG'S order and we all know how she helped in capturing LR when they found her.

JTE's casual conversation with LG even helped him to figure out that LR hasn't aged and was spending time in the place in between/portal. Let's not forget that she also found the care center which led to SJ finding his doppelganger and the truth about his father's deal with LR. She even found LR's bamboo forest in KOC and her strong sense of smell once saved them from the explosion:D

She only derailed from her “bad richard simmons cop” character in episode 14 with the whole Luna thing. Its was bad judgement on her part. (Then again bad judgement also led LG who has been portrayed as a 'Genius' and has the royal guards and the entire police force at his disposal, butchering the whole capturing of LR and almost got himself and civilians killed. Lol.:P :P) It is what it is. I however think that was purposely done to shed some light on Luna's motive or plans. I love how JTE handled herself after the whole stabbing fiasco though. She didn't even whine to her dad about getting stabbed and after she got the necessary help, she bounced back on her feet and handled her business. I still see a strong woman.

I also hope the finale showcase more of her strong qualities. @ms_inquiry

Sorry for the long post

Yes to your whole brilliant post, and I want to add as well - LG is the only person she lets her guard down to, and vice versa.  It's one thing if JTE is tough as nails and then crumbles completely in front of everyone and starts crying, but it's literally just LG that she's taken her barriers down for.  We see it occasionally with her friends and family - mentioned double eyelid surgery to SJ, being concerned that her dad would have missed her the first time she left, and talking to Nari about spending the night at LG's, wanting to get some relationship advice.  Every time, she gets shot down and her walls go straight back up. 

But LG sees her tough exterior and drills through it like it's nothing, starting from the first bamboo forest scenes.  She's complaining that it's cold and it's annoying, and while the others would've just written it off as typical JTE complaining, he focuses on the fact that she's actually COLD.  He doesn't ask if she wants his coat, he just wraps her up in it. 

JTE's spent her whole life taking care of those she loves, and she finally has someone taking care of her.  We see when she's 5, she's already fiercely independent and her dad was busy being a single working parent providing for her.  But she never got much emotional support...honestly the best of it probably came from Eun sup and he's not...great.  But within a few months, you've got a rich AF King who goes from giving her his coat - to flying a helicopter to pick her up - to slashing through an army of men to save her life.  He's also knocked down her emotions and she's free to actually be vulnerable and cry.  It's actually a really nice and subtle breakdown of a character who could've been very one note in her emotions.

• Like 7
  • Love 14
  • Awesome 3

@Ameera Ali :D I think we must conclude from your post that they are both at their core lost puppies and Na-ri and JY are their two put-upon friends who have to deal with them. Remember JTE proudly telling Na-ri about staying at a guy's house? And JY having to deal with LG's crush on JTE (the hair tie mark around his wrist scene)?

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

46 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

It is snowing (or is it?) so I am trying to remember if it was snowing during the treason night. I don’t recall it snowing.

Recall the ceiling, broken, Savior LG walking to check the pulse of young LG as snow is falling in? 

ezgif-5-438c8c6f2cde.gif

This scene was breathtakingly beautiful btw. 

42 minutes ago, scrawford said:
49 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

True, he looks divine. Aside from being a natural looker, whatever regimen he is doing, it really works

I’m going to avoid this forum and wait for netlfix cause I have to work tomorrow and I won’t be able to watch it right when it airs on Netflix. :(. So yeah I won’t be lurking 

Tough decision for me too. I think it’s going to be the first time since this show’s airing that I won’t live stream. For once, I want to fully understand it the first time watching. 

I’m sad. The end is near :bawling:

• Like 8
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

@Ameera Ali :D I think we must conclude from your post that they are both at their core lost puppies and Na-ri and JY are their two put-upon friends who have to deal with them. Remember JTE proudly telling Na-ri about staying at a guy's house? And JY having to deal with LG's crush on JTE (the hair tie mark around his wrist scene)?

can I say everyone else in their circle are FORTUNE TELLER  :D

15918981631591898154.gif

15918980591591898054.gif

15918983961591898378.gif

Us : :D:phew:

Spoiler

15918987661591898762.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 18
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Tough decision for me too. I think it’s going to be the first time since this show’s airing that I won’t live stream. For once, I want to fully understand it the first time watching. 

I’m sad. The end is near :bawling:

It is sad indeed!!! I’m gonna miss all the cast, LeeEul couple but importantly LMH. He was gone from small screen for 3 years, and we might not see him on screen again until next year. Which I understand.

WDH already got an offer for next project already, and it’s great at least we can look forward to it before he enlist. How I wish we would hear about LMH project soon, but you know it will be a while. It’s even worse with covid, because we won’t see him

doing fan meeting or traveling/airport videos and pictures. And probably not a good time to do pmovie projects since movie theaters is slowing down. Unless Netflix. Let’s hope for maybe new magazine spread and dating announcement? 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

And finally, someone did ask before if we had ever thought why this drama is called the Eternal Monarch. If KES doesn’t go the happy ending route, she may give us a King who travelled eternally to find TE and may still be doing it. He never truly succeeds. I would hate this ending!

thing is, KES wasn’t afraid to still kill off JET in Goblin because ET was not meant to be born from the start. I thought she would have some kind of mercy on Shin but she didn’t. So in regards to LG, there may also be no mercy either. KES may not give us a happy ending but I know she may give us a logical one. I hope I am wrong though. 

This is always the hardest part of watching a drama. We cannot predict the ending to this kind of genre and especially because it is KES we are talking about here :sweatingbullets: I wonder if tomorrow will be a good mess or a bad mess for us Monarchs :vicx:

Funny how before Goblin and Mr. Sunshine, you’d expect a happy ending 100% of the time from Writer Kim. Whatever happened after DOTS, she decided no more happy endings and left everyone with trust issues. I somehow think two in a row is enough so she’ll give this one a happy ending. But can I be honest? I wouldn’t mind if she gave meaning to the title and made LG the eternal monarch. If the ending makes sense, even if it’s sad, I will be able to accept it. 

I like this drama a lot though, so of course my heart also wouldn’t mind if LeeEul has a pure happy ending even if it means it’s just god granting them a wish and it’s not logical. At this point, I’m ready to accept any endings except for one where they meet briefly at the end and just smile. 

Let’s hope for maybe new magazine spread and dating announcement?

@scrawford

I love how we end everything with a special request for MinEun to date or  LeeEul to have another bed scene :lol:

At this point, my delulu mind says they’re already dating. HA! And suddenly I don’t want a bed scene but a passionate kiss! Not a naughty one but one that is deep and screams they’ve missed each other terribly. But if it takes place on the bed, I, of course, approve too. Lol. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

25 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Funny how before Goblin and Mr. Sunshine, you’d expect a happy ending 100% of the time from Writer Kim. Whatever happened after DOTS, she decided no more happy endings and left everyone with trust issues. I somehow think two in a row is enough so she’ll give this one a happy ending. But can I be honest? I wouldn’t mind if she gave meaning to the title and made LG the eternal monarch. If the ending makes sense, even if it’s sad, I will be able to accept it. 

I love how we end everything with a special request for MinEun to date or  LeeEul to have another bed scene :lol:

At this point, my delulu mind says they’re already dating. HA! And suddenly I don’t want a bed scene but a passionate kiss! Not a naughty one but one that is deep and screams they’ve missed each other terribly. But if it takes place on the bed, I, of course, approve too. Lol. 

This is one of my theories, all the spoilers of them in the beach, waking around the street and go back to the past, are happening before their ultimate separation. So, maybe LG knew the door will be closed, and he had a chance to be with JTE, and he took advantage by doing all the things they skip and then the gate has to be closed. It’s one of my theories. Another theory is   the gate is close but he have the whole flute and use it to open another door (which my assumption is the cassia tree that’s in the opening?)That tree might have a role in reuniting both of them after the gate is close. 

We will I’ll find out in 24 hours heheh

them dating would make me happy and okay that he is not appearing in new project, so I kee coming back

to that, ha!

@4evrkdrama that one of the scene we haven’t seen. I wonder if it is for the last episode or we are skipping it. Now I wonder how many scene got cut :(

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Gonna miss this couple a lot !

spoiler alert !

Spoiler

@scrawford that’s why I have high hopes (surely it’s delulu ) that either there will be a surprise ep 17

ooorrrrr

an extended ep 16 with 1 hr & 30 mins  

(all these happenings cannot be done in 1 ep plzzzz ) 

and if really,

really if it’s a scene that got cut and if it’s an open ending I will join @vangsweetie637 to throw KES into that “garbage box “ !

giphy.gif 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, an-naum said:

Less than 24hours... Yeay!!! 

I'll enjoy the BTS til tomorrow. Not the group BTS though. 

That will be me.... since we are having our #2020BTSFESTA since June 1 :glasses: (My off-topic for now)

It's Friday already... The finale ... I'm not sure what to expect but will be ready for the unexpected... Hopefully it will have a good ending after all the suffering and crying before.

If everything is okay, I'll be here as usual .. 

p.s Got to change back my pfp since I'm here, there and everywhere...:ph34r: 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

@Heretorant omo! That’s right! It was snowing when the ceiling was shot. That was indeed a beautiful shot :wub: lol, i also have no problem with a sad ending as long as it makes sense. I know my heart won’t be able to take it though so i will have to convince myself for a while to accept it :lol: what I don’t want is an ending where nothing ever happened (a dream) or an ending where I have to guess what happened (just give it to me directly instead) and like you said, no ending with a staring and smile. These two have been hugging like they don’t have tomorrow so we at least deserve a hug or a kiss where they do have tomorrow. Or else, I won’t be able to trust KES again (and then the next drama of hers come out and we might even consider watching it hahaha) 

• Like 4
  • LOL 8