[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Regarding preproduce thing. Drama shoot was from oct to feb.

But maybe they are not happy with final result when they edited? And wanted to make changes for betterment of drama and rating?

We should applaud actors for giving their time beyond dates. They all want it to succeed  so much. 

I hope they get the result they are looking for. A drama success not only  keep their status alive but also the offcamera team whose livelihoods  depends on drama's success.

• Like 6

Let's hope this controversy won't ruin the drama's ratings... :cry:

https://channels.vlive.tv/C7A6F1/vtoday/1.13693780

The royal crest of the Great Korean Empire is designed following the "double plum flower" concept with one flower wrapping around another flower to represent the Constitutional Monarchy in which the Congress or the Government taking the Royal Family as the center. We would like to confirm that it has nothing to do with the Imperial Seal of Japan.

Next, we'd like to talk about the production of the title intro.

First of all, the wooden tower is constructed following the shape of the 5-floor wooden pagoda Baekje, which is on display at the Baekje History Reproduction Complex. We hoped that there would not be any misunderstandings in building a fictional wooden tower by recreating a wooden tower described in history books.

However, during the designing of the fictional 2-floor wooden building based on the characteristics of our country's pagodas and Chinese palaces, we would like to confirm that we used some features of Japanese pagodas.

It's an undeniable mistake of the production team that we did not notice the details during the designing of the Great Korean Empire fictional space and we sincerely apologize for this.

The production team will immediately revise the title design and make sure that there will be no inconvenience for the audience from episode 3. The already broadcast episodes will be changed in re-broadcasting and VOD services.

the-king-4.jpg

the-king-3.jpg

• Like 4

First Impressions: 6 Reasons That Make The Premiere Of “The King: Eternal Monarch” TV-Royalty

The highly anticipated “The King: Eternal Monarch” has finally graced our screens y’all! There’s so much hype surrounding this project and for good reason: This drama is Lee Min Ho’s first project since finishing his military service; it’s Kim Go Eun’s first since “Goblin” (she’s been doing movies); and it’s also from ratings-guaranteed scribe Kim Eun Sook (“Mr. Sunshine,” “Descendants of the Sun,” “Secret Garden,” etc). For this project, Kim Eun Sook reunites with her “Heirs” male lead and her “Goblin” female lead, and with this trifecta, this drama was bound to draw in the eyeballs.

And it does exactly that. The premiere of “The King: Eternal Monarch” set a new ratings best for SBS’s Friday-Saturday time slot and ratings for the following night rose even further. Unless the storyline suddenly goes haywire and falls into a makjang ditch, there’s no reason these ratings won’t continue to grow. So what exactly is it about this drama that is resonating so well with everyone? Well, here are some of the reasons that made the premiere so darn enjoyable.

Warning: Spoilers for episodes 1-4 ahead.

The mythically intriguing storyline

The story (literally) starts with an introduction to a mystical, powerful bamboo flute, one that was given to King Singmun by the Dragon King of the East Sea. It all sounds like a myth, but lo and behold, this flute is very real and is an important artifact that has great affect on our characters and their worlds. Yes, you read that right. Worlds. As in two.

The-King-Eternal-Monarch-cinematography-

That symmetrical reflection, so beautiful and so indicative of what’s to come. *chef’s kiss*

In one of the worlds, we have The Kingdom of Corea, which is a constitutional monarchy and is ruled by the sitting King; whereas the other world is basically modern day Republic of Korea. The two worlds’ history diverged at one point (one king died at an early age, the other grew into adulthood), and thus the very different outcome. These two parallel worlds also have doppelgangers of each other, and as we’ve learned, even familial structures can be the same. However, the fates of these doppelgangers on either sides are greatly different, and it’ll be fun to learn how our characters are doing in each world.

Now, while these two worlds are parallel and separate, there’s a way for the people on each side to crossover to the other, with the help of the mystical bamboo flute. And when young Lee Gon sliced the bamboo flute into two pieces 25 years ago while trying to avenge his father’s (the then-reigning King Lee Ho) death, there are now two people who have access to the powers of the flute — current King Lee Gon (Lee Min Ho), and treasonous murderer Lee Lim (King Lee Ho’s half-brother, played by Lee Jung Jin) — and both have discovered the secret portal that takes them to Republic of Korea.

The-King-Eternal-Monarch-young-Lee-Gon-g

As for what led these two men to discover this dimensional crack? For Lee Lim, he was trying to escape the Royal Guards after his attempted coup and happens to come across the bamboo field with mystical pillars. Seeing the portal opening, he takes the chance and escapes through it.

The-King-Eternal-Monarch-mystical-pillar

As for Lee Gon, he’s trying to track down his “Mad Hatter” when he comes across the same bamboo field. 25 years ago, during the night of the assassination, a person in a black hoodie sweeps in with a gun and lays waste to Lee Lim’s men, which inadvertently also saves Lee Gon from further danger. He grabs on to the mysterious person and happens to snatch their lanyard — one that identifies Lieutenant Jung Tae Eul (Kim Go Eun). Since then, he’s been trying to track his savior down.

Spoiler

The-King-Eternal-Monarch-young-Lee-Gon-g

The-King-Eternal-Monarch-ID-cards.jpg

Though, the ID cards are different. The one of the left is the one Lee Gon grabbed in Corea, and the one on the right is the one Korea-Tae Eul currently owns. Hmm…

There’s a lot of things going on in the first few episodes, and a lot of information is given to us, but the mythology holds strong enough that the story just flows smoothly from one exposition to another. There’s a feeling of epicness to the larger storyline, so I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us down the road!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1395252wpp/first-impressions-6-reasons-that-make-the-premiere-of-the-king-eternal-monarch-tv-royalty

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 9

The bathroom scene reminds me of a hilarious one from the second episode of "The Legend of the Blue Sea"... :joy:

EWDmc74WoAAUg0S.jpg
KEM01-00894.jpg

Spoiler

bluesea02-00239.jpg
bluesea02-00259a.jpg

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 9

On 4/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, Ameera Ali said:

Yes I think too it’s Lee Rim crime, he probably using this weapon , he told child you holding something you shouldn’t be holding, as if it was important weapon. 

I don't think Lee Rim meant to say that the object in itself had some kind of significance, but that the kid was wielding it the same way his counterpart (the prince) had wielded the royal sword, somehow managing to cut his hand and the flute. He was enraged by the scene seemingly repeating itself.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

I don't think Lee Rim meant to say that the object in itself had some kind of significance, but that the kid was wielding it the same way his counterpart (the prince) had wielded the royal sword, somehow managing to cut his hand and the flute. He was enraged by the scene seemingly repeating itself.

maybe it could be that it’s early on so we keep guessing :D

Me rewatching episodes, I thought so far people he killed, are in bad situations and struggling so not parallel with the world he come Nobel . maybe he killing list people in the other world who isn’t Nobel or rich . Maybe their bad action in other world bring them bad luck in this world so he correcting it . they could be his help to take down king . 

15877279891587727981.gif

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

OSEN | 2020. 04. 24. 2:23 AM

"The King: Eternal Monarch'' heralds friction between Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan through new images

B31DFC7B-891B-49ED-A01D-0215EF33B585.jpg

New still cuts oozing strange atmosphere of Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan in ''The King: Eternal Monarch'' have predicted the collapse of the ''United Front''

The Fri-Sat drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS, scriptwriter: Kim Eun Sook, directors: Baek Sang Hoon, Jung Ji Hyun) is a romantic, fantasy drama, taking the topic of "parallel world", depicting the synergy between Lee Gon - the rational emperor of the Great Korean Empire who wanted to close the door to another world, and Jung Tae Eul - an affectionate detective of the Republic of Korea who wants to protect other people's life and love. Starting smoothly with the two-digit rating right from the first episode, the "The King: Eternal Monarch" is breathing a new breeze to the small screen thanks to its unique storyline revolving around the two worlds of the Great Korea Empire and the Republic of Korea. 

On last week's episode, after being arrested by police officer Jung Tae Eul (played by Kim Go Eun), Emperor Lee Gon (played by Lee Min Ho) of the Great Korean Empire who just passed the gate of the parallel world to the Republic of Korea - was surprised to see Jo Eun Seop (played by Woo Do Hwan) - a community service worker who looks exactly like  Jo Yeong (played by Woo Do) Hwan), who is the captain of the Royal Guard of the Korean Empire. Afterward, Lee Gon gained the favor of Jo Eun Seop with gifts, turning him into his informer  on Jung Tae Eul. This scene has heightened the viewers' expectation for the alliance that will be formed between two guys in the future.

Regarding this, on the April 24 broadcast, the argument between Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan due to opinion conflict will be revealed. In the drama, this is the scene where Lee Gon was suspenseful because of Jo Eun Seop when he was immersed in a supermarket in the Republic of Korea. As the majestic Emperor of the Great Korean Empire, Lee Gon now has to take notice of Jo Eun Seop's emotion, all the while following him and giving his pressing gaze. However, Jo Eun Seop still maintains an indifferent attitude, thereby making the audience focus their attention on the reason causing the ''United Front'' to act weird.

The still cuts revealing Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan's strange vibes were taken at a large supermarket in Goyang City, Gyeonggi Province in January. Although the main purpose was to film, it had been a long time since they were at a supermarket, so the two guys were constantly "chatting" about various topics as if their "shopping instincts" just awakened. In the preparation for the filming, the pair even fed each other with their own dishes and constantly showed the affectionate appearance as an inseparable duo. In addition, when reviewing the scene, Woo Do Hwan unintentionally expressed a lively and bubbly expression from his role Jo Eun Seop on the screen. Seeing that, Lee Min Ho could not hide his laughter, giving the studio a relaxed atmosphere.

Production company Hwa&Dam Pictures said, "Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan - who have a close relationship in real life - are the two actors who have positive influence on each other. Like Jo Yeong of the Great Korean Empire, Lee Gon's chemistry with Jo Eun Seop - who plays an important role in helping Lee Gon adapt to the Republic of Korea - is also a highlight of 'The King: Eternal Monarch'.''

[OSEN = Reporter Kang Seo Jung] /kangsj@osen.co.kr
Photo] Provided by Hwa&Dam Pictures 
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 10

EWSquvIUcAAvx2k?format=jpg&name=small

We want to know what each person has to prepare for their roles?

Lee Min Ho: One of the characters I played is a professional rower. So I have to practice. I also have to learn horse riding to prepare for the horse riding scenes. In addition, because Korea has a presidential system, I therefore had to learn more in order to be the emperor. By watching a documentary about the British royal family and reading Korean history more deeply. 

My character is also a mathematician. So I read a book and listened to a lecture on this subject. As for the performance, I want to show a character who is more calm and masculine compared to my acting in my twenties, so I have quite a lot of thought about this. 

Kim Go Eun: I dint have any special preparation. But I have talked to the team many times about how I imagine the character Jung Tae Eul. Either in terms of personality or the way she speaks. I still felt that I needed a good understanding of the character's occupation, so I read the documents and watched the videos related to the police career. I think she is a very reasonable character. So I really want to act as her. 

Woo Do Hwan: I went to study shooting and how to use a gun. Because the characters I received have to use quite a lot of guns. 

The scene where Lee Min Ho sat on the horse was an impressive scene. I'd like you to tell us how you did it. 

Lee Min Ho: This is a secret. Actually there are two horses. They are not the same white horse. One ran well. The other one stands out well while standing still. The audience may feel a bit sad to learn that behind the scenes we have two horses (laughs).

Finally, how does everyone feel about the story being streamed around the world on Netflix?

Lee Min Ho: I hope that viewers all over the world will see my work on Netflix and I want to know what viewers around the world will think about this series. I can't wait. Feeling very excited to receive criticism from foreign audiences when the series airs.

Kim Go Eun: It's only good in the first episode of the series. But it will get better as the story progresses in each episode. I will thank everyone very much for following and waiting to see the next story. We will work harder. Thank you for all the support and all the encouragement. Come together until the end.

Woo Do Hwan: I think Netflix is the most popular streaming platform right now. Everyone seems to be using Netflix, and I hope our series can bring happiness to seven billion people around the world. Hopefully one day I will be able to meet all the viewers. As an actor, I feel the happiest when we have a direct interaction with our fans, and I still hope that we will have that opportunity someday.

Jung Eun Chae: The opportunity to be able to broadcast a worldwide series at the same time is not a simple occurrence. And this is something new for me as well. I understand that viewers all over the world will respond differently to the series. But I'm still very excited to know what the audience thinks about it. 

Kim Kyung Nam: I'm honored to share our series, not just with viewers in Korea, but with viewers all over the world. Of course, it creates more pressure for us. But I'm curious and excited to know what the viewers think of the series. I still feel so nervous that I hope that we will be able to offer great to the audience for their support and interest in our series. And hope that everyone will enjoy the series.  

full interview: https://sudsapda.com/issue/210835.html

• Like 7

Hey everyone! I enjoyed the first two episodes  but found few details odd about them including clues and character behaviours! It's been so much fun reading all your theories so curious to know how many of these details are deliberate. Excited for this week! The new episode is here on Netflix! 

• Like 7