[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I'm just starting to learn Korean, and I have a question for anyone familiar with Korean language or culture. In the title of this series, 더 킹: 영원의 군주, the first part of the title, 더 킹, is a phonetic spelling of the English words, "The King." The rest of the title appears to be all Korean, both the letters and the words. I've been curious for some time about why they would write the title like that. Any thoughts?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

@Heilo - Napa cabbage, salted until soft and then seasoned with gochugaru (hot pepper flakes), fish sauce or salted shrimp, sweetener from fruit, and various veggies.  It’s then fermented for days to get sour and the refrigerated.  Fresh kimchi is spicy and a little sweet, and the longer it goes, the more sour and pungent it gets.  I usually let mine ferment for at least 3-6 months before using it for stew. 

The PPL brand actually comes in tiny bags to massive gallons, and it’s not super expensive!  

Is there no additional meat with the Kimichi? I am thinking beef or lamb? I could vision the seasoning giving it good taste escpecially Gochugaru the hot pepper flakes. Is it refrigerated to remove the sweet taste solely? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

s: My Imja couple (Faith) may have been toppled by this OTP...

I'll give an equal sign but I just can't give up the Imja couple! CY and LG are such different characters, not only personality-wise but their maturity level, it's hard for me to compare. But all four characters are fierce warriors in their own way. Sigh. :heart:

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, msdot said:

I'm just starting to learn Korean, and I have a question for anyone familiar with Korean language or culture. In the title of this series, 더 킹: 영원의 군주, the first part of the title, 더 킹, is a phonetic spelling of the English words, "The King." The rest of the title appears to be all Korean, both the letters and the words. I've been curious for some time about why they would write the title like that. Any thoughts?

Korean use so many English-Korean mixed words like this, for example Rocco : Romantic comedy, they mixed and shorten so many words I guess like teen language 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Heilo said:

Is there no additional meat with the Kimichi? I am thinking beef or lamb? I could vision the seasoning giving it good taste escpecially Gochugaru the hot pepper flakes. Is it refrigerated to remove the sweet taste solely? 

Just cabbage.  It’s basically pickled cabbage, almost like sauerkraut in a way.  But eaten with a lot of meats as a side pairing.

Actually one of my favorite foods is what LG/JTE were eating with her dad.  Super fatty grilled pork and extremely sour grilled kimchi.  It’s SO GOOD. 

Unfortunately that scene was ruined for me by the wrapping comment and I had to go jog a lap around the neighborhood before I calmed down.

Then I found out it was about booze again. 

• LOL 11

12 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

GoGo Pocha by Waterloo station :)  They are open late and absolutely freaking delicious.  There is also a small korean market right by the station entrance that does sell the PPL kimchi hahaha.  I didn’t buy any when I wasn’t there, nor did I feel the almighty PPL call. 

But GoGo Pocha is AMAZING. 

Wow. Seems like you know your way around London you often here?

Thanks for recommending GoGo Pocha gotta check them online if they are open and probably pay a visit some time in the next week. I am gonna lose my kimichi virginity 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Just cabbage.  It’s basically pickled cabbage, almost like sauerkraut in a way.  But eaten with a lot of meats as a side pairing.

Actually one of my favorite foods is what LG/JTE were eating with her dad.  Super fatty grilled pork and extremely sour grilled kimchi.  It’s SO GOOD. 

Unfortunately that scene was ruined for me by the wrapping comment and I had to go jog a lap around the neighborhood before I calmed down.

Then I found out it was about booze again. 

If there is side dish pairing with meat then it makes it worth trying but I can't have anything these days without having on the table solid cooked meat and it can be either Beef, Lamb or chicken. 

pr-ron-meat.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

10 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

Wow. Seems like you know your way around London you often here?

Thanks for recommending GoGo Pocha gotta check them online if they are open and probably pay a visit some time in the next week. I am gonna lose my kimichi virginity 

I wish :(  London is sooooo beautiful.  We spent a fair amount of time there last year for my birthday, and my best friend is moving there for grad school so I’ll be coming to see her when she does. 

I was stalking through LMH’s IG the other day and admiring all of his travel photos from Europe last year.  F COVID.  

@Heilo we do not pound meat in here ok we pound rice 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

15 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

That is my understanding too from that exchange between TE & SJ when the latter questioned TE why she let go of Luna.

Additionally, I am guessing we will see SJ eventually accompanying TE to KOC. How could he let her go alone, after confessing his love? That completes the scooby gang in KOC!

Ooooh that kinda makes sense! And I don't know if anyone has suggested this (still have 15 pages to read!) but in episode 15 when TE ask Luna to steal something for her, the scene cut back to Luna in the Police Office.

What if TE asked Luna to steal some guns and bullets?

So that she can fight with LG in KOC?

Knowing TE, she's probably gonna fight, right? 

Oh wait!

But why can't she snatch the guns and bullets herself?

She's an officer after all.....? 

UGH

This show is giving me headache. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

8 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

@Heilo we do not pound meat in here ok we pound rice 

I heard rabbit pounding rice but how about if we pound them both and turn it into a nice dish. Spanish paella valenciana..

Paella Valenciana recipe is with Rabbit and rice:joy: Very famous dish you should check it out

• Like 1
  • LOL 13

8 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

Hmm not quite sure if you misunderstood what I said since it was meant to be a joke. I'm fine you respond to my joke but I think you took it too seriously and the fact you respond to it with other serious mentions meant you did took it too seriously. My response was response to a conversation within that page where it was a conversation on 2nd love interests and uselessness of characters.

Ahhhhhhh forgive me. I was just sharing my thoughts on the topic as well huhuuuuuuuuu but imma

tenor.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Page 778 of 786:

9 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

whose blessing? <_<

8 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

hahaha whose blessings did you get? 

tenor.gif?itemid=4410439

:joy:

8 hours ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Did you win on the poll or did you vote after the poll closed:joy:

Nope. I lost cos I vote for LG + SJ combination. Lol

But I appealed!!

tenor.gif?itemid=5519008

------

Page 779 of 786:

8 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

But unbeknown to him, TE will cross over KOC. I believe SJ will go with her. I believe that they will help that night and they will be the ones to save young LG.  

That's how I imagine that they get their happy endings. However, it is highly possible that there will be a casualty towards that happy ending.

I'm upset with that thinking of his.

He can still save his younger self and get JY to shoot LR as well.

I think the casualty will be JY. But I'm happy to be wrong that the casualty is just LR and all his minions and that evil cousin.

8 hours ago, ms_inquiry said:

SJ has been hinted to have the shooting skills necessary to kill LL in one go from quite far away, if we remember that scene of him and JTE at the shooting range. The only thing though is that at the end of this episode JTE is shown to drive away by herself. The preview also shows SJ alone seemingly after he told JTE of his feelings (and probably after he has given her the flute piece). However in that scene of JTE driving away LL does not seem to be in the car either (I think at least). So perhaps she's driving somewhere else first... Leaving the possibility open that SJ will go with her

Or SJ will meet them at the rendezvous after he finished crying.

*optimism*

------

Page 781 of 787 (omg.. increase!):

5 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

Since they will be travelling with LR, the expectation is they won't experience the time freeze.  LR will be handcuffed. So TE/SJ won't be in much danger. PLUS, LG has an arrangement with SJ so he will be waiting when they exit.  Which further supports the notion that SJ will go with TE back to KOC.

I just wish they kill LR and leave him as fertilisers inside.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

2 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

Ahhhhhhh forgive me. I was just sharing my thoughts on the topic as well huhuuuuuuuuu but imma

Ah. Sorry. It's fine to share your thoughts as well. I was just quite taken aback since I said it with humor but got such a serious response. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Page 778 of 786:

:joy:

Nope. I lost cos I vote for LG + SJ combination. Lol

But I appealed!!

You fell into a trap because alot of ppl were campaigning for that. You just went with the flow. I lost on 2 LG's which is even worse but luckily we served the term. We will get another poll soon

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

24 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I heard rabbit pounding rice but how about if we pound them both and turn it into a nice dish. Spanish paella valenciana..

Paella Valenciana recipe is with Rabbit and rice:joy: Very famous dish you should check it out

Aside from jokes i have actully tried before paelle valenciana very delicious dish. I was in valencia on vacation few years back 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Aside from jokes i have actully tried before paelle valenciana very delicious dish. I was in valencia on vacation few years back 

It really is I tried it in Havanna, Cuba but Kimichi is on my list now

• Like 4