[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

4 minutes ago, gwin said:

I just checked.  It's the same newspaper that LR was looking at when we first see him Korea (when he encountered his brother's doppelganger at the newspaper stand)

So it looks like 

Hide contents

LG will go back to that point in time, and try to prevent LR from killing his own doppelganger, Lee-Ho's doppelganger and Ji-Hun?

That is interesting if he prevents the death of LJH then he could join him on his return to 94 provided that LR dosen't kill him again before he grows older but something dosen't add up. Why would he not save himself first instead of saving first LJH?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Awww!! Maximus is in an MV now too!! :wub::wub:

——

omo..so the phone booth was actually in episode 1? Whoa. Totally didn’t remember that. I think this may be how he travels to the past to help himself. 

Aye, I cannot think anymore :lol: 

I saw the music video before knowing that is Maximus but I swear I was thinking all this time is that MAXIMUS and now it's proven and confirmed that it's indeed maximus. 

It has been great year for Maximus he starred in a popular Drama and MV + got himself an instagram and his own followers and fanbase great year for horse maximus the only remaining thing is an award nomination on next years baeksang awards :joy::glasses:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

@Thong Thin hi chingu! yup! Very true! This thread moves fast :D 

@gwin @leeminhosny if that newspaper is the same one from episode 1 alongside the phone booth then the year is most likely 1994. He is definitely going to go back to the past very soon. This can be why he tells TE to let him go in the preview. 

3 hours ago, Elnin Joery said:

That is interesting if he prevents the death of LJH then we could join him on his return to 94 provided that LR dosen't kill him again before he grows older 

I had this sudden thought: we saw that he prevented his own death 25 years ago so if he goes back, I wonder if it’s to stop his uncle from actually killing his dad because if he arrives first, he can save his dad hence the flute won’t be cut in half, thus stopping the chain of events that leads to 25 years later :sweatingbullets::blink:

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@Thong Thin hi chingu! yup! Very true! This thread moves fast :D 

@gwin @leeminhosny if that newspaper is the same one from episode 1 alongside the phone booth then the year is most likely 1994. He is definitely going to go back to the past very soon. This can be why he tells TE to let him go in the preview. 

I had this sudden thought: we saw that he prevented his own death 25 years ago so if he goes back, I wonder if it’s to stop his uncle from actually killing his dad because if he arrives first, he can save his dad hence the flute won’t be cut in half, thus stopping the chain of events that leads to 25 years later :sweatingbullets::blink: 

Probably Lee Gon came in Korea and call JTE , she didn't answer because year 1994

• Like 4

Lee Gon traces back to the night of rebellion!
There are lots of mysteries left.
Whether the chase will continue, who tried to make a call at the phone booth, etc.
But time passes too slowly.. 
Come on, Episode 14.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Probably Lee Gon came in Korea and call JTE , she didn't answer because year 1994

you mean he is trying to call TE from the phone booth? Or he went to ROK in 1994 to tell her because then, wouldn’t TE be a little girl only?

• Like 8

I could read the name in the newspaper LG was reading. It says, President Kim Yeongsam. He was the president of SK in year 1993-1998. So it was really the savior LG from 1994 in the teaser pic. And regarding the payphone, it was shown too in the year LL first came to ROK. And I remembered ep 10 bamboo scene. LG said he missed JTE so much he just wants to hear her voice through the payphone? :tears: this is giving me headache :(

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

8 hours ago, SweetButters said:

So there's this show that I watch called "The Flash" about this guy who has the ability of super speed and can allow him to travel both the past and future. In season 3, he sees gets only a very small glimpse into the future (months in advance) where the love of his life, Iris, dies by the hands of his enemy. So in order to change that final outcome he tries to change present events to change her future. In the video clip below, his friend explains how (I felt like LG needed to do something similar with the whole team in TKEM):

Ultimately, him and his team figure out that they couldn't change the future and Iris was resigned to the fact she was going to die. However, in a twist, the person who ends up getting stabbed and dying was actually his friend disguised as Iris (meaning that his friend essentially sacrifices himself) Relating this back to TKEM, I think it could be pretty applicable in the sense that LG must choose carefully which events to change in order to have a future where JTE doesn't die.  Also, KES could be using the same twist where the JTE that dies is not really JTE, but actually Luna.

Also in this song in "The Flash" called "Running Home to You", I thought it reflected both LG's love for JTE. JTE was LG's "light in the dark". Regardless of how the "days may unfold" or what the "future may hold" , LG is "meant to be wherever" JTE is next to him and he would always want to "come running home" to her. :heart:

This is similar to what I think will happen but you summarized it better than I could ever have.

I'm in the minority and I think that we won't get multiple timelines.  Or at least we have not seen multiple timelines yet.  I think what we are seeing right now is one timeline.

Also, if the writer is using the time travel similar to Harry Potter, it means that the past could not be changed, but the future can (similar to your example above with The Flash).   So even if LG goes back in time, he can no longer change the events that have already happened (LR opening the gate, killing doppelgangers left and right etc).  But he can do certain things (like drop clues) that may affect things in the future and this is what I think he will actually do.  

This is also why I think JTE does not die, because once she does, then it cannot be undone (ala Avengers).  LG goes back in time probably before JTE is in danger of dying, so he can prevent that future from ever happening.

It's kinda confusing, but it's the type of time travel that makes the most sense.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, deabakdrama said:

@Geolyvseven MH not always being goofy, i can see he looks differently when he interacts with KGE compared with other actresses. At least he looks caution and his approach is more like a man to woman.  :blush: When comparing the interaction with Park Shin Hye , he treats her more like a brother to sister, Park Min Young treats her more like a gentlemen to lady, and Suzy, of course his ex-girlfriend but i don't dare to comment too much here. Somehow, LMH and KGE not only look good on screen, but the interaction between them on much higher scale which encourage viewers to support them being together.   :heart:

Simply....he looked very happy when KGE with him.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

8 hours ago, SweetButters said:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH darn!! its been a week now right??? I literally thought everyone would have forgotten it by now hahahahha. But heyyyy my mistake on LG's chest led to maximum enjoyment from everyone else right??!! :joy:

Gurl, you ain't ever going to live that one down.  

I have now come to realize that so much happened in that 1st episode.  I really didn't pay close attention.  All I thought about, is LMH, LMH, where the hell is LMH?

• Like 2
  • LOL 15

Hi, everyone! First time posting here. This one just occurred to me today:

Both Russell Crowe in the "A Beautiful Mind" movie and King Lee Gon are mathematicians. It's amazing how Lee Gon speaks of "beautiful moments", perhaps a reference to the title of Crowe's movie. :) TKEM writer Kim Eun-sook must be a fan. And possibly, even of the DC Universe. Watching TKEM reminds me of The Flash and the Legends of Tomorrow. I love how she added a touch of authenticity by introducing the bamboo flute to tie everything in.

• Like 11
  • Love 4

17 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

Gurl, you ain't ever going to live that one down.  

I have now come to realize that so much happened in that 1st episode.  I really didn't pay close attention.  All I thought about, is LMH, LMH, where the hell is LMH?

:joy: Chingu, same here. Am going to re-watch again Ep 1 to check out all those theories.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, kboramint said:

Guys, if you had a choice... would you want to live in a Constitutional Monarchy KOC, or a Constitutional Republic ROK?    

Of course it would be KOC. When PM Khoo asked whether they should reduce medical benefit to increase budget for services...King LG said, Medical and Education is his people's right...not benefits. 

I love that line...it shows his love to his people and want whats best for them

• Like 8
  • Love 8

I don't know which episode it was but when LG was retelling what happened that night when his father died didn't he say he was awoken by the sound of a flute being played? 

Maybe that has some significance to how the story ties together.:huh:

2 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

My thoughts exactly. Hence the sad kiss in ep 10.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Elnin Joery said:

- Lee Gon, JY, Lady Nuh and their struggles in the kingdom with Lee Lim

What would be interesting is a prequel.  I think the early relationship between LG's father and LL would be interesting, especially LL's reaction when he finds out that he can never be King.  How LL gathered all his minions etc.  Between LG and JY (1) if JY is loyal to LG, then their friendship growing up or (2) more interesting, if JY ends up betraying LG, showing one face to LG, while acting against him (with LL) behind LG's back.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Steely said:

I don't know which episode it was but when LG was retelling what happened that night when his father died didn't he say he was awoken by the sound of a flute being played? 

It was in the second episode.  A flashback when JTE and LG were eating chicken, after she picked him up from the library (OMG, I need help, I remember the details quite vividly now because of the number of times I've rewatched).

Incidentally, if you watch the first episode, you can hear the flute sounds that LG is referring to when he goes to the bamboo forest when he was chasing after the person in the bunny hoodie.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wis dom said:

I don't think that season 2 is must but KES should capitalize on this drama and probably her finest hour. TKEM is probably this years biggest foreign hit outside of Money Heist and it has consistently been topping the charts since it's premier on april 17th. It has gained a solid viewer-base and that is enough for KES to continue this series as far as she can take it. Netflix usually follows a basic policy prolonging shows that are fan-favourite as long as possible. She can write her scripts thinking about the far-future. I could see her doing probably 3 more seasons. Budget will be available and audience will eat KES' newly baked TKEM cake all day long. As for the actors-actresses involved I think they would want to return. I think we will get a 2nd season announcement few months post the series finale 

I really hope we get another season at least! If this season ends with LR being vanquished but not dead, he can come back again. :)

4 minutes ago, Steely said:

I think it was in episode 1 when little LG said that he was awakened by the sound of a flute. I had asked that question, how could he hear the flute when he was not even near it or holding it. The flute is guiding him even to the portal, he heard the sound of the flute. He had the flute with him then but not when he was little and his father was still alive. 

• Like 6