Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
syntyche

[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

Posted (edited)

Here is my review: 

The Show started off very strong. The setting, big production value, the CGI world-building, background scenery and the cast even the minor once seems meticulous done. The acting is great from everyone on the show. 

The pacing is decent and I can't wait for the 2nd episode. LMH and KGE have great chemistry. 

The Villian killed his own self in the Rep.Korea and send it back to MonKorea. He may have also killed Rep.Korea Lee Gon. Lee Gon MonKorea may have saved himself via time-travel or via the Flute that gave him an option to re-due that incident which is why he time-travel but all this is just speculations on my part. I like the puzzle 

Edited by Joanna Alfson
  • Like 10

18 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

It looks like there is more than just one parallel world. I have the feeling that the white rabbit and the mysterious savior are the lieutnant Jung Tae Eul and the king from a different world. another possibility is that they are from a different timeline.

First, it looks like time is not flowing the same in the different worlds... and even it looks like, Lee Lim doesn't age because he is from a different world. Since he went to a parallel world, it means his time has stopped. And it is the same for Lee Gong and his arrival was announced, when time stopped for a while. And this can be very dangerous as once Lee Lim becomes a king, he would rule forever. That's why there is this in the title "eternal monarch"... 

Interesting for a first episode.  I was not going to watch it yet but looking at the twitter's worldwide trend about the drama made me curious enough to watch it now.  If there are more than one parallel world then we just have to take note who's who in each world.   It was not a shock at all for him to be in the parallel world .. ...  (Why didn't he look for it before?)

Well, I'll just enjoy the drama for now.. 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

It makes sense but could it be due to the flute being the main reason. As long as he has it he won't age? There is also time-travel involved. I think it should have not only fantasy tag but also Sci-fi

Yup, I’m thinking the same. He has the flute so power is on his side. That may be why he hasn’t aged at all. 

@Tessitone not just you, I’m totally shipping GonJo! I have the same feeling, does he perhaps have a crush on Lee Gon? Or are they just straight out teasing us because they know we’ll all go crazy over the bromance? It looks like someone has eyes on Jo Yeong and that might just be his girl (the photographer). 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Apologies if someone has already mentioned  this but I just looked up Top twitter Trends  Worldwide and 2 hours ago TheKingEternalMonarch was trending at no. 2

1 hour ago at Number 3 - it’s still in the top ten now. What a global star he is. I would love to know how many watched it on Netflix.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Lindyloo421 said:

Apologies if someone has already mentioned  this but I just looked up Top twitter Trends  Worldwide and 2 hours ago TheKingEternalMonarch was trending at no. 2

1 hour ago at Number 3 - it’s still in the top ten now. What a global star he is. I would love to know how many watched it on Netflix.

Well he is hallyu king for a reason and with netflix he can even increase his fame 100 times more. But initial  is all about star power and with this trend , he proved how big star he is!

It means drama has blown up internationally.  I guess!

• Like 7

An incredible first episode -

Wonderful character introductions, as well as cinematography and soundtrack. All spot on.

The story was engaging from the start, and leaves you with so many more questions.

Count me in!  :blush:

LCO

• Like 4

Impressions on the pilot episode.

First and foremost, let us collectively appreciate Lee Min Ho. He just lights up every scene he is in. He looks more mature and acting wise, he is slaying the dignified, intelligent, short-tempered, curt, yet sweet and cheeky, King.

(A far cry from his Gu Jun-pyo heydays circa 2009.)

• The bromance between Lee Min Ho and Woo Do-hwan's characters in Corea is already tugging at my heart. I am so afraid now that something or someone might break it someday. The King and the Unbreakable Sword.
Their young actor counterparts are so adorable too.

"JY: Do you think this whole place is yours?
LG: Yes, this place is all mine.
LG: Everything here is mine! Get it? It's all mine!
LG: You are getting beheaded for sure!"

• I love that he has good people on his side. Love his interaction with his grandma nanny.
"LG: You are the very first woman to be so rude to me since I sat in the throne. You shall be beheaded!"

• The horse backriding and the rowing scenes, even the bare-foot run, are very much welcomed fan service. Thank you writer-nim, PD-nim.

• The King and the Prime Minister do look good together but I can't help but chuckle when he said "Just stand over here. Your left face is pretty." He lowkeyed slighted the PM. Although I have to give props to the PM for making a comeback with her whisper in the ear move.

• I love that the King is an avid reader and a mathematician to boot.

• I loved the Alice in Wonderland reference. This drama kind of remind me of the book Sophie's World.

• I looooove a spunky, can-take-care-of-myself female lead! And I am already sold to Kim Eun Go's Lt. Jeong Tae-eul character.

The initial timeline started on 1994 for both worlds.

It was said, that the portal or the Manpasikjeok, opens only once, every 20 years. To wish peace upon the world.

But it is still unclear how the traitorous Lee Lim has been able to go back to Corea and meet his loyal soldier 10 years after. I assumed he used the Korean handicapped version of himself to pose as himself dead washed in the shore of Corea. Although I am still not sure the timeline of this happening but he did meet up with his loyal soldier on 2004.

Then King Lee Gon was able to cross the portal on 2019, 25 years after.

It might be the flute then? I assume that the riding crop must be the other half of the flute to make this premise work.

The flutes origin:

King Sinmun's reign from the Silla Dynasty. Spring of the year 682. King Sinmun received a bamboo flute from the Dragon King of the East Sea.
When the flute is played, enemies would retreat, diseases would be cured, rain would fall during droughts, the rainy season would end, the wind would stop and strong waves would subside. It was named Manpasikjeok.

Since this is a story about parallel universes, it is not difficult to accept that somebody from the future 2019 traveled to 1994 to save the then young Prince Lee Gon. Whether it's the future Lee Gon or future Lt. Jeong Tae-eul we don't know yet.

Bring on episode 2.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

As someone who’s rewatched City Hunter way too many times for it to be considered healthy, I’m 99% sure the masked man is Lee Min Ho. The height, the body type, nose,...it’s all there. Frankly, it looks like the whole appearance might be even a homage to his iconic look and stunts in CH. The stylist went even for the same black sneakers he wore back in 2011.

e0adad91242db4f12b6fea297baf4a82cd200c61c01cb44a716ab6b2eb6f5bec8eaeb025cbb2eb63

Spoiler

0007ce325d8aeee0956fa007357b618ab84ea9dfddff412f5c5ae90ab6061df0b1aa6395141213fb

My personal guess is that it’s actually Lee Gon and not Ji Hoon, his counterpart in the Republic universe whose fate we still do not know. There might be a possibility of a third parallel universe but considering that it would complicate the story way too much it’s an unlikely option.

First of all, it was shown that LG is someone very athletic and the assassination of his father must have lead to him learning how to shoot and defend himself. Moreover, the masked man knows the attack would take place and appears to know the layout of the room (jumping through the window into an alcove to protect himself from getting shot). Most importantly, Lee Rim is his main target - the whole time he is trying to kill him.

Another crucial fact is that the man clearly knows Tae Eul, that’s why it’s unlikely that he comes from a third universe or that such universe even exists since it’s been established that people don’t have the same names in the different universes. Finally, the man comes either from a different universe or time and so far, only the holder of one half of the flute can travel between the universes. (Luna is the big unknown here since it’s only her reflection which TE saw.) If  a broken piece of the flute can do that, the complete flute must lend its owner immense powers and somehow these powers are connected with time - stopping LR from aging or freezing time as seen with the falling cup. Perhaps it has the ability to send its holder or perhaps its rightful owner back in time. One of the possibilities is that there is a time loop in play and that the events we’re witnessing now already happened once.

If this theory turns out to be true and the man is really Lee Gon, it makes this whole scene even more special and poignant because it’s not about Lee Gon meeting his counterpart from a parallel universe but both his past and future self at the same time. And if so, has this “future” LG managed to make the flute whole again? Another interesting question would be whether the flute exists in every universe or only in the Kingdom.

9c9ecfac95a44c389983349ffbcbce65bba2f65f

Also, what if Lee Rim by some twist or irony of fate actually didn’t kill his doppelganger but his actual future self. So many questions and possible answers.

Spoiler

d279cc634f8a6096810092f904fdaed81eb13cc4

• Like 7
  • Insightful 10

5 hours ago, adrienne said:

Did anyone notice the eyes of the masked person? It looked like LMH and I'm guessing he brought KGE's work pass to let him look for her in the future.

There's a supposition (90% definiteness) on Weibo that Lee Gon goes back to save child Lee Gon. It must like @briseis being sure that mask man is Lee Min Ho after several times watching.  :P

• Like 7

Decent start, though i expected around 15%. Average for nation 10.25%. Double digit start is still good. Now i hope it keeps growing. Rival drama at same slot is huge now which also affected it. 

Nation

4 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 11.4
5 SBS Curious Story Y 10.7
6 KBS1 Human Theater 10.2
7 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 10.1

Seoul

4 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 12.9
5 SBS Geumto Drama (The King's Eternal Lord) 11.4
  • Like 5

Ratings are out!

Episode 1

Nationwide

PART 1 - 10.1 (1.995 Million Viewers)
PART 2 - 11.4 (2.299 Million Viewers)

Seoul

PART 1 - 11.4 (1.372 Million Viewers)
PART 2 - 12.9 (1.630 Million Viewers)

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, briseis said:

As someone who’s rewatched City Hunter way too many times for it to be considered healthy, I’m 99% sure the masked man is Lee Min Ho. The height, the body type, nose,...it’s all there. Frankly, it looks like the whole appearance might be even a homage to his iconic look and stunts in CH. The stylist went even for the same black sneakers he wore back in 2011.

My personal guess is that it’s actually Lee Gon and not Ji Hoon, his counterpart in the Republic universe whose fate we still do not know. There might be a possibility of a third parallel universe but considering that it would complicate the story way too much it’s an unlikely option.

First of all, it was shown that LG is someone very athletic and the assassination of his father must have lead to him learning how to shoot and defend himself. Moreover, the masked man knows the attack would take place and appears to know the layout of the room (jumping through the window into an alcove to protect himself from getting shot). Most importantly, Lee Rim is his main target - the whole time he is trying to kill him.

Another crucial fact is that the man clearly knows Tae Eul, that’s why it’s unlikely that he comes from a third universe or that such universe even exists since it’s been established that people don’t have the same names in the different universes. Finally, the man comes either from a different universe or time and so far, only the holder of one half of the flute can travel between the universes. (Luna is the big unknown here since it’s only her reflection which TE saw.) If  a broken piece of the flute can do that, the complete flute must lend its owner immense powers and somehow these powers are connected with time - stopping LR from aging or freezing time as seen with the falling cup.

Perhaps it has the ability to send its holder or perhaps its rightful owner back in time. One of the possibilities is that there is a time loop in play and that the events we’re witnessing now already happened once.

If this theory turns out to be true and the man is really Lee Gon, it makes this whole scene even more special and poignant because it’s not about Lee Gon meeting his counterpart from a parallel universe but both his past and future self at the same time. And if so, has this “future” LG managed to make the flute whole again? Another interesting question would be whether the flute exists in every universe or only in the Kingdom.

Also, what if Lee Rim by some twist or irony of fate actually didn’t kill his doppelganger but his actual future self. So many questions and possible answers.

Reveal hidden contents

d279cc634f8a6096810092f904fdaed81eb13cc4

Your post is absolutely thought provoking!

I’m sold with your provided screen cap proof. The person who saved Lee Gon is definitely himself! How can I not recognize my beautiful man?

Interesting point you brought up about the time loop. I was believing that to be the case since there’s absolutely no way Police JTE could have existed during the time Lee Gon was 5. My only question is, if what we’re witnessing now are events that already happened and Lee Gon will eventually go save himself, who saved him in the first place? He would have died and would not have been able to grow up and eventually go back to save himself. I’m also now really interested in seeing the other loop, how did he meet JTE? Who was she to him that he needed to leave evidence to his younger self? This is reminiscent of Nine, if any of you have seen it. 

——————————————

Hoping the ratings will increase. 

• Like 10

I can’t decide on who save him while he was child but I am pretty confused why his neck hurt in the wrong side :D

5e9a390fc0ccb546516298.gif?download

15871645211587164516.gif

• Like 6
  • LOL 10

Episode 1 was amazing.:wub:

Did you all sleep well? :D

The rating is remarkable for a premiere episode... yay!

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

42 minutes ago, SaiSai1988 said:

Ratings are out!

Episode 1

Nationwide

PART 1 - 10.1 (1.995 Million Viewers)
PART 2 - 11.4 (2.299 Million Viewers)

Seoul

PART 1 - 11.4 (1.372 Million Viewers)
PART 2 - 12.9 (1.630 Million Viewers)

Although I thought the premiere rating should be around 15%, but above rating is the highest rating of SBS Fri/Sat dramas (since Feb. last year). It's pretty good.

5 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

I can’t decide on who save him while he was child but I am pretty confused why his neck hurt in the wrong side 

Yes, that's my question too. it's obviously that his uncle hurt the left side of his neck. 

• Like 11

Yes i thought neck  thing must be blooper and mistake but now it makes me think  were kids changed from 2 universes in past? Like they didn't show what evil uncle did to korea's lee gon chid version. 

Did he injure him in wrong side and later somehow the two kids got swapped? And actual korea's Lee Gon is in corea as king? And real corea's king is hidden somewhere?

Which makes possible for both leads to unite in end. And magic is involved to change child memories?

It will be interesting  development.

Edit- wait parallel universe thing. So can injuries be parallel too if u r from parallel universe? Now my theory makes kind of sense.  So will wait for it

• Like 6

Chingus dont look the ratings.

If TKEM is against The world of Married is tough .Most likely The World of Married will have the first place.

Already the Married world has its audience and  people in Korea talk about it waiting to see each episode having an increase.

I will not continue talking about another drama in this thread its not right.All actors try their best for their work.

TKEM had a nice start .Cinematography was excellent, acting was good.Its still a little confusing the story with the two parallel worlds for some viewers and many did not catch the detail with Minho be behind the mask.

After episode 4 we can see more clear how the drama will do.

Minho is adorable with Do Hwan .

Minho is my bias but I know Do Hwan s work as well and he is a very good actor.

Kung Nam is cute too and happy to see the villain guy again.

As of Go Eun /Minho,  they look good together.

• Like 7

Hi Chingus.

I hope that everyone is keeping safe!

A decent first episode, though probably not the start I was hoping for and I would be lying if I said that I understood everything that was going on :D

Considering this was Lee Min Ho's comeback drama, there was a lot of fan service in this episode! I am not the biggest LMH fan out there, but I am definitely enjoying his mature side more.

I am a big Kim Go Eun fan, but I guess I we will have to wait to see more of her. So far her character looks like she is going to be a lot of fun!

Definitely looking forward to more bromance between Joo Young and Lee Gon.

One thing that stood out for me with regards to the "parallel" universe, is how there is a role reversal. Lee Gon's family in Corea is of royalty, whereas in Korea they were not faring well. 

Also more than a parallel universe I am wondering, like some of you have already mentioned if there isn't also a past and future loop?

Looking forward to the next episode and theories.

• Like 6

Regarding the scar, for now, I’m going to stick with a mistake on the crew’s part. I’m going to trust in the writer and let her work her magic. Things can get easily complicated if I start running wild with my imagination. 

But why such a big mistake? *face palm* lol. 

• Like 7