[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

Hahahaha, ma friend, I was thinking more along the lines of inspirational movies like “Ode to my father” or “the taxi driver” and if we’re talking about dramas then “mr. sunshine.” I didn’t have in mind a tale of a struggling handicap or anything like that. Though, I must say I wouldn’t mind it either. Lol. 

Taxi driver could work but not up his alley it suits a veteran whos older. Nah to ode to my father great movie tho but just not for him. 

I am thinking more like donnie yen type of things. If its inspirational then it has to be an spectacle if not it can be risky backlash from his fans. He lives in a scrutinized world so the scripts mostly have to be spectacles and high entertainment value 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Taxi driver could work but not up his alley it suits a veteran whos older. Nah to ode to my father great movie tho but just not for him. 

I am thinking more like donnie yen type of things. If its inspirational then it has to be an spectacle if not it can be risk backlash from the fans. He delves in a scrutinized world he dosent have much freedom 

Hahaha. I get where you’re coming from, I was just throwing out examples. But there are 100 other inspirational films that I can’t think of at the top of my mind that would be fitting for him.

I totally wouldn’t mind action films either. Anything that challenges him as an actor. 

4 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Ok... now serious question...

Where is the ep12 BTS???

We all got preverted and not ashamed to show it :lol:

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

Manpasikjeok Legend and Its Connection to Present Day Events in TKEM

During the time of King Munmu’s reign (r. 661-681), he had sought to unite the three kingdoms of Korea (Baekje, Goguryeo, and Silla) with the help of the Tang Empire of China.

Eventually King Munmu succeeded in forming a unified Korea in 668. Following the death of King Munmu, his son, King Sinmu reigned from 681-692. Immediately after ascending the throne, King Sinmu was faced with a serious revolt against royal authority, known as the “Kim Heumdol Revolt”. And so this is where the legend of the “Manpasikjeok” comes in. Briefly, King Sinmu of the Silla Dynasty in spring of 682 received the “Manpasikjeok” from the Dragon King of the East Sea aka his father (King Munmu) who turned into a dragon king following his human death. Legend told that this flute was suppose to do all kinds of magical things like bring rainfall if there was a drought, cure disease, stop the rain in floods, ten thousand waves would stop (like as in all sorts of hardships or storms of life), bring peace to the world, etc. Other legends say that the “Manpasikjeok” was a reflection of the Silla Dynasty’s wish to bring together displaced people from two different places or kingdoms it had unified and bring about peace and stability in the unified Silla kingdom

Other interesting facts during the reign of King Munmu and King Sinmu were the construction of these “Dangganjiju” which were flagpoles to indicate the location of Buddhist temples. They can be found throughout a bunch of places in South Korea today, although some have been partially destroyed as a result of wars over time. Below is a map of where some of these “Dangganjiju” are located:

3r1cdzL.png

Well what do “Dangganjiju” look like? I’ll give you a hint, they look like LG’s portal (in the map above LG's portal is in the red dot; it was built by TKEM crew so not actually in real history):

YpB72V2.png

So tying together about what we know about the Manpasikjeok’s purpose (bringing together people from two different places or kingdoms), “Dangganjiju”, and TKEM, I’ve come up with a few theories:

1)    LG was probably suppose to use the Manpasijeok as a way to maintain peace in KOC as well as to unite him and JTE

2)    The usage of the Manpasijeok by LG’s grandfather or great grandfather or whoever else is what helped KOC to not be divided into two different regions like ROK’s North and South Korea.

3)    LG’s grandfather King Haejong probably used the Manpasijeok to travel to ROK to help maintain peace, but something must have happened to King Haejong since the Korean War still happened and lead to the division of Korea into North and South Korea

4)    King Haejong probably met Lady Noh during this time and was trying to give her refuge from the war and hence took her to KOC. However, the “Dangganjiju” or portal (pin between Seoul and Incheon) he used was destroyed during the Korean War so he couldn’t return Lady Noh to ROK’s North Korea. 

5) Maybe LG just needs to go to some areas near buddhist temples or churches to find new Dangganjiju or portals lol. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a portal or Dangganjiju near that Catholic church lol. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 17
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, AgentQuake said:

JTE had the upper hand because he spent 25 years thinking about her, but PM certainly had a chance.  And completely blew it up..

I beg to differ.

Flashback to her induction/proclamation as PM, the 1st question she shot at The King in this formal & official event was

"What kind of Prime Minister should I be to you?"

to which The King dryly replied -

"Please be a PM who mostly give written reports."

KAPOW! Immediate & swift rejection. LG immediately saw right through her. So she really had no chance from the very start.

But I very much like what you said though --

JTE and PM are both in positions of power where they are to protect the citizens, but only one actually does so.  They both followed the same path until at some point, PM made the choice to get ahead.  JTE made the choice to stand her ground and protect her people.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

I beg to differ.

Flashback to her induction/proclamation as PM, the 1st question she shot at The King in this formal & official event was

"What kind of Prime Minister should I be to you?"

to which The King dryly replied -

"Please be a PM who mostly give written reports."

KAPOW! Immediate & swift rejection. LG immediately saw right through her. So she really had no chance from the very start.

But I very much like what you said though --

I tried to throw that bish a bone ok hahahha 

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

7 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Haha.. the animal down under :D:D .. i laugh outloud... i think she just want more people to comment on her site, and any drama by LMH is probably in her hit list. She knew there are many LMH's fans around and to trigger people to comment, so you make nasty commentary.  Works for the young ones not oldies like me , i guess? Hahaha:D

Honestly i never had a thing for LMH, even though i like BBF but not his hair there. Never really watch his other dramas, and City Hunter wasnt that great seeing it last year (coz the sequencing seemed out and watched it because of PMY)...

But seeing him in The King now, im liking him more? :wub: maybe its the after Military effect or how he carried the character in the drama? 

Same goes to me. I watched only  LMH in BBF, and never had others. Choose to watch this drama because of KGE. I like this actress cos she is really good in performing all roles assigned to her.

However, I can see different LMH in The King. Can't deny that he is good looking, really handsome man, hahaha...But he makes progressive moves in his acting....

Anyway, he has a good pairing with KGE. Really like a man comes to protect his woman.  

• Like 8
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

You and me both. I've spent so much time rewatching BTS, interviews, their swoony games, and refreshing these threads every 5-10 minutes. Doesn't help classes finished for me so I'll be doing this until summer classes start. :sweat_smile:

@koreaboooo and @csmiller1954, yes, we’ve got it bad! This past week I watched all the episodes again, then watched episodes 11 & 12 several times over the weekend. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

Since we're waiting for Friday and I have lots of time to spare... hahaha So I made this TKEM poem and this is also dedicated to this thread. How I keep coming and enjoy staying here.

I Just Want to Stay With You in your Orbit
You're my Gravity who takes me out from that Maze.
If I Fall In Love, it must be with you.
Please Don't Cry cause I'll be always with you.
My love for you is like a flower, You Can't Stop It from Blooming.
It's like a Dream when you have to leave and this Heartbreak feels so real because My Everyday is Full of You.

My Love will always be you eternally. 

One of the best part of KES dramas is they always get great ost. And not just one but the whole package are just amazingly wonderful. TKEM ost has been on loop for weeks in my playlist. I'll also listen to them while reading/posting on the thread.

And I'd like to share this beautiful piano cover of the instrumental ost. Such beautiful melody yet sounds so heartbreaking. Hope they'll release the whole instrumental ost of TKEM soon. 

If Only by Smyang Piano

• Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, msdot said:

@koreaboooo and @csmiller1954, yes, we’ve got it bad! This past week I watched all the episodes again, then watched episodes 11 & 12 several times over the weekend. :D

I am on this train as well. I have been rewatching alot. Once friday comes in the last 3 weeks I go berserker rage

3ifevdZ.gif

Do anyone know what is KES plans next? Will we get a 2nd season as the demand is great. If not she could get lynched 

• Like 3
  • LOL 11

4 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

LG better start breeding then. We want heirs. Could use another bed scene. 

We might already have our royal twins coming on their way if our King&Queen are so efficient lol.

I keep thinking what if LMH and KGE stalk our forum, they must have die of laughing reading all of your wild and deep analysis of their night lol. 

You guys, I love ❤️.

• Like 3
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, realistic2280a said:

Ok... now serious question...

Where is the ep12 BTS???

We all got preverted and not ashamed to show it :lol:

Hahahaha. Yes Yes preach preach. 

@Heretorant

I was also expecting some new updates perhaps stills today or is it tomorrow 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

And I am absolutely a fan of inst. Ost especially this TKEM has many of it. Another beautiful piece, Door,  covered by Fab Project. I thank those great pianist. So I can listen to the song even it's not released yet. 

It's from ep 5, The Kiss, one of my faves! The beats feels so softly cheery and lovely. 

This is from ep 10 ending, where our TE runs down her taekwondo center toward her king LG. The Way To You

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • Love 10
  • Thanks 3

2020052601046_0.jpg

Wavve has revealed the popularity of dramas in the fourth week of May. The drama, "The King: Eternal Monarch," remained at the top.

http://it.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2020/05/26/2020052601051.html

Content Wavve, established last year – as a way to counter Netflix – by Korea's major broadcasters, KBS, SBS and MBC, along with SK Telecom, is planning to spend USD50 million (KRW60 billion) this year on original content production. 
Launched as a merger of SK Telecom's Oksusu and Pooq streaming platforms, it already has 14 million subscribers – 10 million from the former and 4 million from the latter.
Content Wavve has yet to be made available in Southeast Asia but there are plans of expansion into the region.

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/south-koreas-wavve-content-nbcuniversals-062400506.html

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 5
  • Thanks 1