[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

The product placement in this episode is to much. lol. Did the cosmetics lady have to hold up the product with the name on the front? Did they really have to show JTE using it and then buying it? Did JTE really have to hold up the bottled drink after taking a sip?   

• Like 5

Come to think of it. This is the 2nd time that Lee Gon proposed to Jung Tae Eul in the field somewhere in Korea. So the preview of the kitchen cook out with Lee Gon in Navy Uniform will be the third proposal. Since he said in Ep 11 that he will wear the Uniform while proposing to his beloved. You go! King Lee Gon Fighting! Maybe what the saying is true "3rd times a charm"

In that note i am so looking forward to King Lee Gon on not being a considerate lover. May he loose all his control over Tae Eul so that they will have a Scandalous night

Thoughts on The PM Koo. I think that it is her that is on RoK. Her expression when she saw Jo Yeong says it all. She was startled to find Jo Yeong in there. She might already be in agreement with Lee Lim that's why she was able to go there. She is a power hungry woman after all. We might see how this panned out on the coming episodes.

Also let's give Jung Tae Eul a big round of applause. She's not a damsel in distress kind of a heroine. Her presence of mind was commendable in a fight or flight situation. She is indeed a one tough chic.

Lee min Ho is every inch the depiction of King Lee Gon. He owns the role down to a T. The controlled behaviour down to mannerism. Lets just say that The king is So Hot and Sexy when he is rile up and angry and exercising his Kingly powers. Rawwwwrrrrr Pheya!

• Like 12
  • Naughty 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, madmad min said:

In Writing I understand the Timeloop concept that you explained here(As I mentioned Long Before, had TKEM been a Book it would have been very much easily be comprehensible,) but Writing to SCREEN TRANSLATION with this non-linear concept is Not at all catchable or understandable.

Being a Christopher Nolan long time fan, I guess I am just very used to the nonlinear narrative structure and motifs of memory and perception type of story telling. I don't find event told through scenes from different time loops to be difficult to understand if pay attention to details.  :D  I will say thus, when it comes to time, space and mind bending,  none beats Nolan.  So maybe @madmad min you are right, I should not expect too much from this writer's work.  If writer's intention is for a no-brainier mass consumption of daytime soap opera, then I've given too much credit to each line and gesture by actors/actress and scenes setup by production team. Nevertheless I've had fun theorizing and really don't care if right or wrong at the end. It's a beautifully produced drama that have entertained me far above my expectation and changed my perception of generally formulaic story in Kdrama. :)

Memento, my all time favorite film by Nolan. Check it out if everyone likes a bit brain exercise. 

Edit: @madmad min I agree that there may be something lost in translation, which cause confusion. But the drama is aired in Netflix legitimately, I would think the producer OK'd the translation.   

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

Finally watched episode 11 and had to catch up 30 pages! 

This episode was insane!

Vengeful LG is actually pretty hot! Lol

Some random thoughts I had:

- Someone mentioned this earlier (sorry forgot who after reading 30 pages lol). Episode 11 must be another time loops since he was able to appear where JTE is without any explanation. She probably died or something horrible happened in a previous time loop. I think LG found different gates that lead to different points in time and he is trying to do or not do certain things to ensure JTE and him end up together.

- Him telling the late Princess son that Se-Jin is next in line for the throw may be foreshadowing? Goes with LG’s previous comment to the Prince that “Se-Jin will do a good job.”

- There’s a VO of someone yelling “why these scars keep appearing”... possibly a side affect of the time loops??

Ahhh!!! Can’t wait for the next episode but don’t want this drama to end! Lol

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Keikokoko said:

Being a Christopher Nolan long time fan, I guess I am just very used to the nonlinear narrative structure and motifs of memory and perception type of story telling. I don't find event told through scenes from different time loops to be difficult to understand if pay attention to details.  :D  I will say thus, when it comes to time, space and mind bending,  none beats Nolan.  So maybe @madmad min you are right, I should not expect too much from this writer's work.  If writer's intention is for a no-brainier mass consumption of daytime soap opera, then I've given too much credit to each line and gesture by actors/actress and scenes setup by production team. Nevertheless I've had fun theorizing and really don't care if right or wrong at the end. It's a beautifully produced drama that have entertained me far above my expectation and changed my perception of generally formulaic story in Kdrama. :)

Memento, my all time favorite film by Nolan. Check it out if everyone likes a bit brain exercise. 

Edit: @madmad min I agree that there may be something lost in translation, which cause confusion. But the drama is aired in Netflix legitimately, I would think the producer OK'd the translation.   

Nolan can be good at times but to be fairly honest he has some over the top fans online but nonetheless no discredit to him he has some good works. 

Have you watched the movie called ''Gettaca' With Ethan Hawke and Umm Truman 1997. This movie is way ahead of it's time and It seems as if it has premiered in the year 2030 which means it came out to early and to be exact 33 years to early. The directing used in that film is what I call masterpiece. 

Other then that there is the Time machine quite emotional movie and great despite the sad turn of events. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

I didn't understand. But yes, I do think that doctor uncle visited the store and sort of recognized the man, it pushed LR to kill him but I also think it will trigger LG to find the store.

I'm sorry! I confused you! I read your thoughts and I think you could  be right about LR killing doctor uncle and LG finding the store. I haven't watched anything yet! I think we'll see what happens with King Eternal Monarch!

@bebebisous33 Thanks for tagging me. I haven't had a chance to read your thoughts. But I am going to try to give my thoughts when I do.

Everyone I'm going to do some backreading and episode-watching. I hope the episodes are up for me! :D 

• Like 5

As a fan of fantasy genre, this episode was.. amazing. Some supernatural power fixes radio to Verdi's Dies Irea (Day of Wrath) while good guys forcing justice with assault rifles and guns.. Hahaha.. This was really something else. I couldn't stop smiling while watching the scene. I'd hope some to see more explanation to the main lead's escape from captivity and her way into modern streets and rescue by charge of cavalry... but in any case, this episode was something hard to forget.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

What are the chances that LG won't want to be King after this? 

• He snuck out so much that Yeong had guards all over the place, including his bathroom
  • He frequently disappeared for weeks at a time, even before crossing the universes
  • He seemed to fit in really well in ROK, despite some adjustment issues.  He was the one to suggest they live a normal life for an evening
  • His name's being smeared all over the media in Corea
  • He's gone on like, 3 murder sprees in one week
  • JTE doesn't want to be Queen
  • The fight for the throne that he never really wanted has taken his father, Buyeong, and even his uncle Lee Rim, who he seemed to have a good relationship with prior to the night of treason

He's a really good King who was beloved by the people, but he honestly seemed to be just doing his duty and going through the motions (very well, of course). 

They also seem to be setting up an heir storyline, and I honestly don't know if I would want to see JTE become an actual Queen and have her kids be the next King and have to face something like this.  LG's shown to be in love with JTE, but he also enjoys her world.  She's just in love with LG. 

GUYS, IT'S MEGXIT ALL OVER AGAIN!

Does that mean Jung Eun Chae is Boris Johnson omg

I don't think LG will forsake his reign. He's too invested in his role as a king, he feels responsible for his people/genuinely care for them, and he has no one to pass the crown to (certainly not Prince Buyeong's son!).
However, I can't see TE leaving her life behind either... How could she get used to the strict etiquette and rules, live under the constant pressure to fulfill her duties without being trained to deal with politics and nation-scale problems and consider herself as "His Majesty's child-bearer"? She's a homicide detective with a temper, a very straight-forward attitude and some serious badass-ness going on... She's not a submissive, well-mannered doll, nor she's a politician...

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

@madmad min @Heretorant @mrsj3n  @Rachel Jones I revisited the exchange between TE & YY Girl and it further puzzled me cos the line we have been debating on is not even in a form of a question. See the transcript below

TE: What are you doing here kiddo. Get out of here.

YY: I warn people of danger and defeat the enemy

TE: What?: BTW, you’re in this world, too.

YY:  There’s only 1 of me. I went to the other world. (Cuts TE’s rope) I’m trying to restore balance. There are too many enemies

TE: (takes the knife) You… What is going on? Who are you?

Baddies enter;

TE: Run! (TE kicks some richard simmons - YAY!, YY disappears,; TE escapes)

It was declarative. Not even a question. My assumption is that upon waking up, TE is not yet aware she is in Corea cos she fainted at home. So when she woke up, why would she assume she'd be in Corea. That does not make sense.  So if this assumption is correct, then her exclamation when she was driving that she was in Corea makes sense.

So perhaps when TE said "BTW, you’re in this world, too". she meant the underworld or the world of the thugs.

However, that begs the question: why would YY Girl say "There's only 1 of me, etc... etc..."  Their exchange does not make sense at all!

You got me.

I also confused in why the yoyo boy said that he went to other world and only one of him when JTE even didn't know that she is in KoC and say "you're in this side too" 

I kind of thinking that that was miss or a blooper during writing.

JTE even never met the yoyo boy in KoC, she only met him once when he lost his nametag. CMIIW

Probably the writer took the flash as one of her inspiration LoL.

The storyline of the main lead travel backtime to save his youngerself. 

Travelback time numorous time to save his love one. All of that creating a different timeline.

Thunder related power and the main lead also happen a verymuch scientist where the female lead is more police-journalist. (There was a universe where the female lead was a cop)

• Like 7

Did someone suggest that it's really PM Koo in ROK not her doppleganer? Which explains Lee Gon couldn't get in touch from her residence? It did look like she was looking back at Jo Young like she knew him.     

• Like 6

The amount of frozen time is multiplying by the square root of the prime number. At this rate, time will stop for a whole day the 62nd time it happens. In other words, there will come a moment when the world, both Tae-ul’s and mine, will stop forever.

6cdb36ea95b6bce72ac47dab6dbb222f7ad3851e.gifva1059ed952063e0df3298f7d82b76a6dd215d88c.gifv

• Like 18
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, kboramint said:

Did someone suggest that it's really PM Koo in ROK not her doppleganer? Which explains Lee Gon couldn't get in touch from her residence? It did look like she was looking back at Jo Young like she knew him.     

It looked suspicious and I agree I noticed that they told Lee Gon she is not there in her residence perhaps she was out of town and specifically the way she looked at JY. 

I think it was her which means we have seen her and her double the one with the glasses was her double but the one in the cafe shop was her

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Ima04 said:

Probably the writer took the flash as one of her inspiration LoL.

The storyline of the main lead travel backtime to save his youngerself. 

Travelback time numorous time to save his love one. All of that creating a different timeline.

Thunder related power and the main lead also happen a verymuch scientist where the female lead is more police-journalist. (There was a universe where the female lead was a cop)

Lee Gon should just try to run faster.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5