[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Why do I feel like there's something massive that we've all missed haha.  I keep watching and rewatching the first episode because I can't help but feel like something is key there for putting it all together.

Unfortunately I keep getting distracted by the slow mo closeup of LMH's face when they start Adult!King's story for the first time. 

Also - apparently I missed the entire Baby Maximus scene the first 90 times.  While I was staring open mouthed at the ridiculousness of the baby Maximum CGI (seriously, the effects in this show have been phenomenal except for that), I realized that Maximus was born on the night of treason.  Maximus is 25 years old.  The average lifespan for a horse is early 20s, which means Maximus should NOT be able to travel the way she has been, and even though they've acknowledged that the strain that the travel has had...Maximus shouldn't be able to do what she does lol.

Great, now I'm theorizing on the damn horse lol.  Maybe the horse is LG's mother reincarnated.  Or something.

WHO KNOWS.  IT'S AN ANIMAGUS MAYBE. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

@mrsj3n haha I just want to think that too, but I cant remember which episode it was that there was a scene between SJ and the Chief's wife that lead me to think the chief was suspicious.

For example, in that scene, the wife told SJ how the chief knows/remembers that SJ's favorite  thing to drink is hot chocolate and how he remembers what all the other team member likes too. Almost like the Chief is gathering intel on the team.

Hmmm..  it seems this drama is making some of us suspicious of everyone .....To know what one likes to drink/eat I think is common in their surrounding since... having a meal with colleagues is the most favourite activity they have there.  Thus it is an advantage ...:) to know about that.  

However, i'll keep this info in my mind while watching for the future episodes.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

39 minutes ago, Jemrie said:

#TheKingEternalMonarch wikipedia: - It received 9/10 user ratings on Netflix, an all-time highest for a science-fi fantasy K-drama ,It garnered high international viewership ratings worldwide and is

considered as a"International hit" 

Ahh haters make us sad so much at the beginning but look at, so proud :bawling:

SOSo.gif

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

15 hours ago, Heretorant said:

This gives me a total headache. I completely agree, we seem to have too many things on our plate. I wonder if writer Kim can wrap it up beautifully. 

With so much time spent on swapping all those doppelgängers, LR’s plan better come to fruition at one point. Otherwise, I’m not going to accept that they spent nearly 1/3 of the drama showing us and investigating/interrogating just to arrive at nothing. Might as well have spent that time giving us more OTP moments because clearly, while some might argue not, it’s the selling point here. Koreans would have rather much just watch a drama full of love and the ratings might have even reached over 25%. So please, don’t waste these scenes! As much as I root for LG, I root more for a good story. So if things have to happen, they have to happen even if it means our hero will fail a few more times. 

In my opinion, the weakest part of this drama is the police squad. I think they spent way too much time there. And if I was right about one thing in this drama, it was that Lee Sang Do had something to do with LR. I made that guess since episode 2.

I guess I should take the time to praise the writing on LG’s part because each hint for him led to another and eventually everything clicked to him because he’s quite the calculative type. He’s smart and needed clues to connect the dots and when he got those clues, it just clicked. For me, it was done realistically. I know, I know, the cases with Lee Sang Do and the roommate needs to be there so eventually they can catch LR and interrogate him in Korea but still, I think they could have spent less time there. 

Let me add a few more thing to your list:

1) LJH’s mother. What are they keeping her alive for? 
2) SJ’s story needs to circle around. Why was he switched? And what bigger part does he play in the main plot? Or was he just simply placed there for LG to make the connection? 

Reiterating what you said here. Still love the show guys, just praying it gets wrapped up beautifully!

Don’t ruin a show I love, writer Kim! 

@Heretorant I'm highlighting all the things I'm really hoping that it will makes sense at the end and moves or help the plot. Not just a filler scene in lieu of our OTP. And the police story imo take the epic fantasy feel of the drama. I definitely like all the scene in KOC better than ROK. Although i like all scene with our OTP in it heheh. 

Agree on Lee Sang Do case, It could have been done shorter and more efficient and the roomate case, im still Hoping it will pay off in the end to have that scene. 

I too love how smart and quick our Hero is, while he is behind LR, but he sure catching up really fast. 

KES give us cohesive and beautiful ending!

14 hours ago, gwin said:

The time spent on investigating is my biggest complaint with this show.  Especially since in most of the episodes after the first one, these scenes usually are shown in the first half of the show!  Some of instances which peeved me:

1.   The Lee Sang-Do case was started way back in the first episode.  And yet it was only resolved in Episode 9.  That is waaay too long.

2.   The scene where SJ and JTE tried to entrap that lady who stole a wallet.  Way too much screen time given for what?  Just to introduce the psychiatrist of SJ at the end of that scene?

3.   Scene where Jangmi, SJ and JTE was looking for the murder weapon in the junkyard.  Again unnecessary.

4.   That scene of them chasing a criminal right after JTE went back to Korea from Corea.  It's only purpose is for JTE to have that voice over about time passing and her feelings changing.

5.   The worst is the stake-out with JTE and Jangmi in the car and those product placements.

And these are just the ones off the top of my head!

This too.  Waaaay too long, unless it's revisited again in later episodes, then Episode 5 was a complete filler.

I think these plot points have not been resolved yet and are all related to the PM.

I didn't mind this.  I think some character development and background is necessary.  Which is why I am generally frustrated that they're not giving us anything with respect to Jo Yeong.

As you said, we have 6 episodes left so I will reserve judgment on whether those scenes were indeed necessary when the show is over.

@gwin agree with everything you said. I hope all the things you are listing are truly there to move the plot forwards, otherwise, it will be a waste of their time, a time that could be used for developing main characters and Love interest.

I don't mind the time spent on Shin Jae Characters, but not his flashback with JTE, because it shows how he fell in love, and we got no development on our OTP. I understand in regards to his childhood and what not. And i was a bit disappointed that JY had no character development, but WDH did the dual role so well that i feel it's pay off. For a while there i thought they were wasting WDH talents.

14 hours ago, Jemrie said:

they're playing as if they're not with the other cast ,MinEun with their own world:joy:

@Jemrie They need to get a room already. Hopefully they can date happily after the drama airs and make us all happy.

• Like 4
  • Love 6

I have seen few spoilers here and there nothing major but the fun part was the pedstrians watching on the side and it became an occasion for them so they couldnt help themselves but film it :joy:

Who could contain themselves seeing lmh riding a horse on the street swinging swords is not something you see everyday 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

30 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I have seen few spoilers here and there nothing major but the fun part was the pedstrians watching on the side and it became an occasion for them so they couldnt help themselves but film it :joy:

Who could contain themselves seeing lmh riding a horse on the street swinging swords is not something you see everyday 

This reminds me: 

i was so mad/sad when I found out that LMH was filming at a beach only 10 mins away from where I lived (when he filmed Heirs during the surfing scenes in the beginning episodes) :bawling: my cousin and sister told me and I was like “what! Let’s go!” And they were like “oh, but he already left.” oh, the disappointment and sadness that he was only 10 minutes away from me. I haven’t forgotten it. So I completely understand how the pedestrians are feeling :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Hmmm..  it seems this drama is making some of us suspicious of everyone .....To know what one likes to drink/eat I think is common in their surrounding since... having a meal with colleagues is the most favourite activity they have there.  Thus it is an advantage ...:) to know about that.  

However, i'll keep this info in my mind while watching for the future episodes.

@YongZura⁷ Haha really? I get lunch with my labmates all the time, can't say I know what their favorite dishes are though. I dont even know/remember what some of closet friends' favorite meals are haha. So for me, I thought it was pretty suspicious that the Chief knows all of that about the investigative team members. lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

58 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Also - apparently I missed the entire Baby Maximus scene the first 90 times.  While I was staring open mouthed at the ridiculousness of the baby Maximum CGI (seriously, the effects in this show have been phenomenal except for that), I realized that Maximus was born on the night of treason.  Maximus is 25 years old.  The average lifespan for a horse is early 20s, which means Maximus should NOT be able to travel the way she has been, and even though they've acknowledged that the strain that the travel has had...Maximus shouldn't be able to do what she does lol.

Great, now I'm theorizing on the damn horse lol.  Maybe the horse is LG's mother reincarnated.  Or something.

WHO KNOWS.  IT'S AN ANIMAGUS MAYBE. 

Hahaha.. Even baby horse is on this thread. Anyway, that foal and Maximus are not same breed. The one in first episode is a pony. Kids rarely taught riding on real horses. When I saw that part, I thought, probably monarchs of KOC usually ride white horses, and the kid even has a white pony to learn riding.

This thread is awesome.. :D

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

@csmiller1954  I see your heart, like all of ours, has been captured by the King. :heart: 

Just a word of warning -   three weeks ago I was a green newbie , like you,  entering into this secrete world and started hanging out with everyone here. Today, I noticed in my horror, my level is upped to "Hooked". Serious illness, wouldn't you say? Well, apparently there are others who have it worst than me. :joy: 

Welcome on board!! 

Guilty as charged :lol:

1 hour ago, Jemrie said:

there’s nothing much difference between real life and drama, leeminho sure loves his eyes:joy:

You can’t blame him, he does have very pretty eyes. They’re quite unique too. 

1 hour ago, scrawford said:

@Heretorant I'm highlighting all the things I'm really hoping that it will makes sense at the end and moves or help the plot. Not just a filler scene in lieu of our OTP. And the police story imo take the epic fantasy feel of the drama. I definitely like all the scene in KOC better than ROK. Although i like all scene with our OTP in it heheh.

100! The police story, especially the way it is edited and paced, just takes away the epic fantasy feel.

I thought I was the only one here who enjoyed Corea more than Korea. There’s just something special about Corea, perhaps because it is made up? And I’m not being biased here, I enjoy almost all characters but LG is my favorite and when we’re in Corea, the main focus is him which I like. But of course, like you, I love the OTP so I love any moments with them, regardless of where it is. 

——————————————————

Regarding the love story, I see complaints from people saying they don’t quite understand why the OTP is suddenly so sad and miss each other so much but to me, it makes total sense why they act that way. People can’t understand because they can’t put themselves in LeeEul’s shoes. We are all spoiled in this era, so used to today’s technology that we cannot sympathize with this couple. Imagine falling in love with someone from a far away place and not being able to communicate with them through phone, text, or even letters. When LG disappears, it’s almost as though he doesn’t exist anymore. If he’s gone for too long, JTE might wonder if he was ever even real. To us, he was gone for several weeks and that was it. But to her, several weeks may feel like ages. 

I was so mad/sad when I found out that LMH was filming at a beach only 10 mins away from where I lived (when he filmed Heirs during the surfing scenes in the beginning episodes)  my cousin and sister told me and I was like “what! Let’s go!” And they were like “oh, but he already left.” oh, the disappointment and sadness that he was only 10 minutes away from me. I haven’t forgotten it. So I completely understand how the pedestrians are feeling

@vangsweetie637 I feel sad for you because I actually got to meet him that time. I think I still have photos somewhere lol. Such a regret because your sisters should have known, they spent at least 3 days filming there. AND, it was so easy to spot them because they filmed right at the heart of Huntington Beach where the boardwalk is. They also had trailers with signs that said “Lee Min Ho”, “Park Shin Hye”... :lol: 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

10 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

This reminds me: 

i was so mad/sad when I found out that LMH was filming at a beach only 10 mins away from where I lived (when he filmed Heirs during the surfing scenes in the beginning episodes) :bawling: my cousin and sister told me and I was like “what! Let’s go!” And they were like “oh, but he already left.” oh, the disappointment and sadness that he was only 10 minutes away from me. I haven’t forgotten it. So I completely understand how the pedestrians are feeling :D

I know the feeling as i also lost the chance in New Zealand. I was there and he suddenly landed there for a commercial filming. I was on the other side of the country to where he landed. So yeah i kinda know the feeling but others i know managed to see him there 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

@YongZura⁷ Haha really? I get lunch with my labmates all the time, can't say I know what their favorite dishes are though. I dont even know/remember what some of closet friends' favorite meals are haha. So for me, I thought it was pretty suspicious that the Chief knows all of that about the investigative team members. lol

Nah... it's fine (I guess I'm influenced by other kdramas too)  I love the scene whenever the team discussed a case ... sometimes I can't see who's the higher rank officer is because the way they communicate with each other and listen to everyone's opinion.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Heretorant said:

One is SBS and one is TVN so we can expect something more like the tongue kiss :lol:

pouring some water on the hotness that people might be feeling:

Corona Times people... am not sure how much kissing would they agree to given that we have had two!

If the preview (episode 11) showed Luna posing as JTE then is everyone ready for some angst?

>Post script: I cant read everything that I have missed but you guys are funny :)<

• LOL 7

@Heretorant Lol, so glad you actually saw him and even got pictures! i am still sad to this day! I was so close to Huntington Beach. And..I missed him!! And to make it worse, my cousin was like “there were so many people there.” And I looked at her and said “and why are you telling me all this right now?!!” :bawling: oh, the heartbreak! 

29 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I know the feeling as i also lost the chance in New Zealand. I was there and he suddenly landed there for a commercial filming. I was on the other side of the country to where he landed. So yeah i kinda know the feeling but others i know managed to see him there 

at least u still saw him :D my chance was gone the moment he left Huntington Beach :bawling:

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, syntyche said:

Lee Min-ho is stealing attention as he is seen changing into a "military uniform chef" while preparing a timid meal for Kim Go-eun

LMH looks soooooo mighty fine already, more so in uniform. :wub: Would those stills mean that JTE did not die, at least not yet? Based on those stills though, I feel like the last scene that was shown happened past after the preview? They have a knack in misleading us through their edits. :joy:

I couldn't keep up with how fast this thread is moving, but I really enjoy reading everything.. hoping all of you are having a good morning/night while waiting for the Swoon upload :blush:

Edited:

I just have one question though, why not cook before putting on the uniform? It would be too bad if that super clean uniform gets stained while cooking. LOL  Hahaha maybe we will get the answer tomorrow. :lol:

• Like 8
  • LOL 4