[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

30 minutes ago, Heilo said:

@Heretorant @vangsweetie637 @Keikokoko

There is one topic that we haven't touched upon that much and its regarding the Bodyguard JY as I see a potential of him double timing both Na'ri's of the parallel worlds. There is somewhat a chance that he will get with the one in the ROK and than return to the KOC and get with his collegue who also seems to work in the palace.

This could become another WTH moment but good nonetheless and it's a possibility  

at this point, I also want a hot kiss scene for our JY. I want him to show us that he is not always cold but can be very ‘hot’ too :w00t: 

7 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

This literally made me laugh my butt off! 

As weeks go by, we grow thirstier and thirstier.

@vangsweetie637 I think it’s time to bring out those drinks again.

Need to quench your thirst? No problem! Order please!

source.gif

i got us covered! 

:joy:

btw, @Heretorant i see the spoiler box has been removed :w00t::phew:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

Sorry to cut your post but I would like to borrow KEROSU over at reddit, of his reply to those who complain about no chemistry between the two or how TE fell for LG, even prior to episode 9.  For me it explains everything --

I admit the romance isn't brilliantly paced, but it's a little off to me that people are looking for set explained events or reasons for it as if love is something you calculate with a formula and the drama didn't show variables a, b, and c.

While it feels like it moved too quickly, I don't find it difficult to believe that Tae Eul fell in love with an attractive man that showered her with positive attention and immediately trusted her with the truth of his origin when he was a fish out of water. Her initial skepticism and mocking is natural, because who would really believe in parallel universes without seeing one for themselves, but once he brought her over he proved that everything he ever told her was true. There's a lot of power in that truth. The ability to trust makes people feel safe.

He has also shown himself to be level headed, intelligent, romantically forward, and charming. She saw him command his charisma around the country in a variety of settings. His people clearly love him. He doesn't put up walls, so he's romantically straight forward. His logical analysis and use of science is endearing. While she couldn't witness it herself, she knows he also risked his life to command the navy against Japan as a proper figurehead with military knowledge, proving himself a brave leader that isn't afraid of being on the front lines with his soldiers.

He has proven she is a priority to him by constantly leaving his kingdom to visit her. When she was stranded in Corea he personally went to get her. In Episode 8, her direct questioning of his feelings confirms that even if things had happened differently when they met, he still would've liked her. His response also attributes him with an easy willingness to be understanding, and the level of maturity to give her the benefit of the doubt.

So this rich, attractive, charming, charismatic, trustworthy, logical, educated, brave, capable, understanding, openly romantic king that makes her his #1 likes her. "But why does she like him though lol"

Any woman with warm blood would have fallen for the king.   Hell, I'm old and I've fallen for him.  Bring me a man with half is attributes and in the 65 - 70 age range and I'm his.  He doesn't even have to be a king.  The King is amazing.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 9
  • Love 5

12 minutes ago, csmiller1954 said:

No, no, no, there is no way that the King would mistake Luna for TE.  A sane person can act crazy, but it would be hard for a crazy person to act sane.  No amount of coaching could make Luna into TE.   And the King is in love with more than her face, remember what he said about his mother, that the although the women in ROK might have his mother's face, the face was just a symbol of the person.  Now LL might try to replace TE with Luna, that man is crazy, but the king would see through it in a heart beat.  

I second this. It would be nearly impossible for Luna to go undercover as JTE. Hack I think even Yeong can tell that she is not the King's girlfriend if she were spotted inside the palace

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

34 minutes ago, csmiller1954 said:

Any woman with warm blood would have fallen for the king.   Hell, I'm old and I've fallen for him.  Bring me a man with half is attributes and in the 65 - 70 age range and I'm his.  He doesn't even have to be a king.  The King is amazing.  

@csmiller1954  I see your heart, like all of ours, has been captured by the King. :heart: 

Just a word of warning -   three weeks ago I was a green newbie , like you,  entering into this secrete world and started hanging out with everyone here. Today, I noticed in my horror, my level is upped to "Hooked". Serious illness, wouldn't you say? Well, apparently there are others who have it worst than me. :joy: 

Welcome on board!! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

14 hours ago, scrawford said:

We have 6 episode left and i feel like there is still a lot to be covered. I can't help but wonder, does the time spent on all the crime scene/investigating needed?

-How about that War scene? while i know we could always enjoy man in uniform, does that relevant to the plot? aside for being just a scene to show LG leadership skills? not to mentioned they seemed to be ill prepared to execute that scene, and they could avoid a major controversy if they take that scene out of the script.

- What about that pregnant lady who is changing her appearance to be her Dopplegangers in KOC, is she relevant to the story? or just to show another doppelgänger? i get that she is going to be close to the prime minister, but could the show do without her? and if she is really important, how about the other dopplegangers story, like the businessman and the greedy son, are their story gonna be relevant to the plot as a whole? or is it just to show LR in action and a peek of what he is doing in general.

EDIT: Another scene that is questionable is Shin Jae flashback to his relationship with JTE necessary? I understand the arc for his past is needed, but i think the flashback between him and Taeul could shortened or told in simpler way. It's almost like the put foundation on SJ and JTE relationship bit forgot to do that with LG and JTE and they are the OTP.

I totally agree, the main couple is LG and OTP m so it should be more important to concentrate on their relationship. There was too much stress and time spent on the relationship with SJ and JTE, at times I feel that they are the OTP instead.

If I knew nothing and was watching King as a new kdrama viewer, I would think they are the OTP instead of LG. When I first watched BOF that was exactly it. I thought Kim Hyun Joong was the lead and LMH was a jerk since I had not watched the manga and had no idea about the story.

I also totally agree you wondering if all the other scenes were necessary, pregnant lady, the junkyard scene, the catching the thief selling a purse, etc. Instead we could have LG exploring the in-between land or something relevant.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, KRISHNENDU M said:

Now i get why they talk about rare elements of KOC. Becoz it will be the source which help him for time traveling. Bingo! Pardon me if any one talk about it earlier 

Wow, that's interesting. I don't recall anyone mentioning this prior to you:). If it's true then I hope and pray that the king knew which rare elements to export and which to keep for himself:joy:

Police chief and his solitude: 25 yrs he would have been in police force(?) If so he may have helped Lee lim with the corpse because if Lee lim put his dopplegangler's corpse in KOC and he is presumed dead in ROC too then he had to somehow manage legally right? Either chief helped him or may be he closed the case although he felt something is a miss hence feels guilty of may be he is just unhappy with his salary:P. But I don't feel he is out and out negative :sweatingbullets: He did help shin jae with car number for identification.

Also IF that king 998 is a hint then IF we are  IN 999TH loop then 1000th loop is the one where our king will find his and ours 'beautiful solution' since it has 1 and 0 LG fav no. :P

LG scar, I wonder is it really a mistake :unsure:( by director) because while re-watching  I carefully saw that part and Lee lim was cutting into Lee Gon's left side of the neck and  he didn't change his hand he tried to strangle with both hands but flute was in his right hand pressing to LG's left side.

Also interestingly when LG cut the flute in 2 halves, blood started flowing from one half of flute which was left in lim's hand , but that blood didn't seem to come from his hand but from the flute. 

The only reason why I am talking about others and not Luna because  I am scared for JTE in this weeks episodes. (Running to sleep):anguished:

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, CallieP said:

I totally agree, the main couple is LG and OTP m so it should be more important to concentrate on their relationship. There was too much stress and time spent on the relationship with SJ and JTE, at times I feel that they are the OTP instead.

If I knew nothing and was watching King as a new kdrama viewer, I would think they are the OTP instead of LG. When I first watched BOF that was exactly it. I thought Kim Hyun Joong was the lead and LMH was a jerk since I had not watched the manga and had no idea about the story.

I also totally agree you wondering if all the other scenes were necessary, pregnant lady, the junkyard scene, the catching the thief selling a purse, etc. Instead we could have LG exploring the in-between land or something relevant.

As I mentioned on page 369. There is several major story arc's colliding which makes the drama a vast world. SJ is part of JTE story arc hence he has an importance in that story arc while LG was just a random guy who descended upon her world one day claiming to be from another world. It was the first collision of two major story arc's and KES tried to build them side by side without them having quick mixing in the begining. It was solely between TE and LG who started with an awkward encounter and he tried to pursue her. She started to fall for this crazy but elegant guy main while all the major arc's were getting screen time. 

Have you ever read Jin Yong's condor trilogy which is a vast story telling and imo his probably the best writer I have ever seen because it starts from prelude event sometimes using 2 episodes on them and you would think they are the main characters but they are the parents of the hero and they somehow die young after giving birth but in the 3rd episode we start to come into the real hero's story arc. 

Jin Yong is known to include around 100.000 characters in his novels like the legend of the condor hero or the return of the condor hero. 

I think KES was going for something similar making the story arc as vast as possible tho not Jin Yong vastness as I believe it's impossible for any writer to achieve Jin Yong's level of vastness but what she did was making 4 major story arc's collide. As for the screen time she gave to all these character it was necessary and she can expand on this for a potential second season. I geninuely feel like this is where we are heading 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Keikokoko said:

@csmiller1954  I see your heart, like all of ours, has been captured by the King. :heart: 

Just a word of warning -   three weeks ago I was a green newbie , like you,  entering into this secrete world and started hanging out with everyone here. Today, I noticed in my horror, my level is upped to "Hooked". Serious illness, wouldn't you say? Well, apparently there are others who have it worst than me. :joy: 

Welcome on board!! 

I'm in serious need of a psychiatrist, I'm hooked on K-drama. and I love LMH.  Don't know why,  would love if someone could look inside by brain and see what part of my brain is being stimulated when I see them.  But right now I'm enjoying the ride.  Can't wait until Friday at 11:00AM in the USA.   If the ending is anything close to the Goblin, they will get together, but I'll hate the ending.  

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Keikokoko said:

@vangsweetie637 give me one of those JTE mix drink, please! Looks like the King has almost mastered this drink. ;) 

58 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

If she is serving an MSD TE style count me in. I will take two Pina coladas

drinks coming right up!!

giphy.gif

702f986208e13e1d2d7fb59a6afbcb3fd34f975c

oopss, did our King get the drink instead? sorry Peyha, the drinks are meant for us!  :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 9

2 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

@syntycheYou spoke my mind and said it so beautifully. Hats off to you. There were hints sprinkled throughout episodes to lead us to LG finding beautiful solution. Faith, one just needs faith.  

my hope is on the writer, she got the Goblin and the Goblin's wife together in the end.  Maybe she'll do the same here. JTE might die, but in the end their love will somehow endure.  If not just shoot me, right now love is the only thing left.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

#TheKingEternalMonarch wikipedia: - It received 9/10 user ratings on Netflix, an all-time highest for a science-fi fantasy K-drama ,It garnered high international viewership ratings worldwide and is

considered as a"International hit" 

xeSnMhz.gif

tkem-bts4-1589956369.jpg

there’s nothing much difference between real life and drama, leeminho sure loves his eyes:joy:

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • LOL 8
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Umjicheok said:

Police chief and his solitude: 25 yrs he would have been in police force(?) If so he may have helped Lee lim with the corpse because if Lee lim put his dopplegangler's corpse in KOC and he is presumed dead in ROC too then he had to somehow manage legally right? Either chief helped him or may be he closed the case although he felt something is a miss hence feels guilty of may be he is just unhappy with his salary:P. But I don't feel he is out and out negative :sweatingbullets: He did help shin jae with car number for identification.

I want to believe that the chief is just drinking alone and not betraying the gang.

I have my optimism shaken lately and I don't think my heart can take another twist.

Alright people.... time to sleep again!

tenor.gif

• Like 9
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

I want to believe that the chief is just drinking alone and not betraying the gang.

I have my optimism shaken lately and I don't think my heart can take another twist.

@mrsj3n haha I just want to think that too, but I cant remember which episode it was that there was a scene between SJ and the Chief's wife that lead me to think the chief was suspicious.

For example, in that scene, the wife told SJ how the chief knows/remembers that SJ's favorite  thing to drink is hot chocolate and how he remembers what all the other team member likes too. Almost like the Chief is gathering intel on the team.

*Edited 

correction it was episode 8!

43fVggm.png

5ZSsL7F.png

nT1BD8q.png

• Like 9

Maybe we already spoiled with the ending. Maybe what happened in episode 1 - the capture of Lee Lim as he was questioned by JTE and Shin Jae is the ending after endless looping/time travel attempt to fix things of Lee Gon. 

The question is in this timeline as show in episode 1 when Lee Lim got captured, do JTE and Shin Jae aware of Corea yet? :))) 

• Like 8