[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

12 hours ago, romance06 said:

I wrote in a hurry so there are some words that make you misunderstand. But I'm talking about Lee Ji Hun's mother ( the boy is LG's doppelgänge)

12 hours ago, pixie0622 said:

Like that scene with LG’s doppelgänger’s mom: when she said that “they” will bring her back to life again, director showed her wrist scars. My take is that she’s tried to kill herself several times (having caused her child’s death indirectly) but LR didn’t let her die. But others here interpret this as she’s time-traveled. I don’t like it when I’m confused :unsure:

Lee Ji Hun's mother is still at ROK. 25 years ago when LL talked about her son's and her husband's death, he forced her not to accuse him and has to live with him (as a wife). I think LL really likes LG’s doppelgänger’s mom because she's beautiful too.

So in last week's episodes, there was a scene where LL went back home and told her to eat alone or she went out to eat, then he went into the dark room and she was crying. She was provided with all her material needs, but she was closely monitored everywhere.

On the contrary I do know you were talking about LG's doppelganger's mom,  but I mentioned LG's mom because LR wouldn't have just fell in love with doppelganger's mom just from after killing her son and husband. There is no context there. Also if you mentioned that he likes her for her looks, you have to realize with all our given clues, LG's mom will look like his doppelganger's mom and with history, it makes more sense LR knew what his sister in law would've looked like. So if we take into context what you said is true, we can link it to the fact that LR liked LG's mom before and since he couldn't have her, he resulted into taking her doppelganger as his wife.

Just writing this reminds me of when Luna mentioned a person's weakness in having family (wife and son). Will LG's doppelganger's mom be a weakness to LR or will it be LG's weakness?

2 hours ago, Wis dom said:

You can always rewatch it but generally is for these who haven't seen it so typically it finds audience with them

I guess KES is going for long term success rather than the instantaneous success just from having higher viewership in Korea. I also read somewhere else KES is a huge BTS fan so thinking about it, I wonder if she's trying to imitate their success by trying to appeal internationally more than just home base. I know BTS isn't as hugely popular in Korea as they are internationally. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3

9 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Since there has been talk of switching places between JY & ES...

That is very thoughtful of him.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Spoiler

@mychoiyoung and @Hachiko Ooo I had posted a similar filming clip of that exact scene...do you think its ES or JY in that scene? And do you think they die?

-----------------------------------------------

7 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

in some ways it fits the build up, dont you think so?
He actually didnt know that the evil uncle was alive until the doctor uncle reveals this in episode 6, I think. He had suspicions but nothing concrete. Thus, for him things begin to happy once he follows the rabbit and meets JTE. On a blog called richard simmons Over Drama the writer had broken down the dialogues and its significance. @packmule3 says that doctor uncle prepares gives pre-prepared answers in that meeting with LGE near the tree/water body. And her/his reasoning is sound, at least it makes sense to me. 
I think the meta material of this series is fine and interesting. I really think and wish that the execution was better.

Btw I wish someone would explain two dialogues/sequences in episode 8: JTE Voice Over at the beginning. Should my only take away be that fate will play a very big role and JTE regrets not investigating the loss of her id, in hindsight?

Her questions to LG before her voice over (again about fate) in the I love you scene. I really didnt get what is she asking him: would he have liked her even if she hadnt helped him (helped him when?) and what is his response? @bebebisous33 @packmule3 ??

@Dramafreak actually you're right. I am just hoping now that he has some pieces, he's going to be faster than LR at planning things out. Also I couldn't find a blog calling Richard Simmons over drama? Could you post a link?

-----------------------------------------------

8 hours ago, Ima04 said:

If the rules of paralel universe is the person came out from the same family and relationship with a little dynamic, i doubt that SJ is someone related with LR or LG.

As we can see in the ep 8, SJ actually realize that he is in a new place and new situation when he is 7 y.o (8 korean age), same parent etc. But he cannot explain the situation since he's still a child. He accept the family since the father and mother are the same.

I assume the original mother from KoV accepted the offer to sent SJ to a better place with wealthy family but things happen, suddenly SJ new family in ROK bankrupt and his father went to jail. Hence we didn't sae him. ( this mirroring the scene of a mother that have dissabled child, probably the one that have a deal to change into making the child healthy is SJ mother in RoK).

The KoC mother didn't knew this reality that the family become poor and only got update by the picture hence she thought SJ in doing fine.

I do agree that LR kept LJH mother alive, to make doubt LG when he wanted to hurt LR.

PS : i like this tv show the flash with their alterternate universe earth 1, 2 and etc. In the end all the multiverse is merge thus leave people from the other univ gone. 

What about the othet option is also coz of manpasikjeok, the universe become one? 

But the description of the drama earlier was "closing the door"

@Ima04 Glad to see another team flash member here ! I was thinking the exactly same thing as you with the whole the Flash multiverses/ Crisis on Infinite Earths!! If only LG had one of those inter dimensional extrapolator like team flash did to travel between universes...then he wouldn't need the portal haha! Also speaking of the flash in relation to TKEM, do you think LG would really travel back in time to change events? For example, if you remember how Barry Allen had travel back in time to change his mom from dying, he create Flashpoint which lead to Cisco and Caitlyn becoming meta humans. Therefore, what if LG never changed the timeline ? How different would events or people be ??? Hmmmmm. Wonder if the savior in TKEM is like time remnants like in the flash? lol

I totally feel like the explanation by Barry Allen explaining time travel and multiverses can totally be applicable to what's going on in TKEM. I feel like scenes this needed to happen in TKEM (LG totally would be the one explaining since he's a mathematician and all :rolleyes:):

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, kboramint said:

Even as a young boy, I'm sure the people around LG would address him as prince, but why does SJ call him by his name?

@kboramint, someone else may have answered your question; this thread moves so fast! But the reason he knows the King's name is that he was born in KofC and remembered as a boy hearing the TV announcer describing LG's father's funeral and LG wailing. The announcer mentioned his name, "King Lee Gon." It must have been ok to mention his name during the mourning period.

• Like 5

I whirled past the 50 odd new pages since I was here last my head is still spinning :sweatingbullets: 

We left at the hug scene from ep6, but ep7 started from another point, and continues somewhere in the middle. Ay, the magic,frankly, flew out the window for me. I think the show is probably raising the ante to transmit suspense and mystery but I feel like I am in an escape room and have to piece the story together a little blind.

you know when you have a winning streak at UNO and there is always someone who then mixes up the UNO cards so all the draw-4s are well separated so it will be fair play again? At times I have my draw-4s with this show but mostly but I find that the show is cleaning the cards to mess with me. Also, LMH is making it quite difficult - my brain shuts down at the twinkly eyes and that darn smirk. 

ok, questions (Some might be silly) I hv on my mind:

1. Lee Gon’s mother - she is not around but the doppelgänger is. she is kept alive cos Lee Rim wants to use her to threaten the king I suppose. Why is the doppelgänger interested in Shin Jae when he was walking back to the police station? 

2. Shin Jae’s mother - the one with him has short hair and the doppelgänger is the one wth a pony tail. the pony tail lady seems to care more about him than the gambling one - how come? Seems like both women have the same son who is in the Republic - pony tail in the shadows, short hair in the light. 

3. the boy with the yoyo- he appears too often to be a random character...who is he? He knows Luna.

4. Luna- she’s crazy, I like her. She appears to know about the parallel world too. Her being a criminal seems to be a facade...she seems to be trying to solve something. Both king and traitor are looking for her...

5. PM’s mother - she had to look up a textbook to see who Lee Rim is. If this guy was infamous 25 years ago, why doesn’t she recognize him? She must be a young adult then living in the same world? Is she an undercover in disguise .... or is she real and it’s just bad makeup? Haha.

6. how did shin jae get to the Republic? Obviously the king didn’t bring him so the other one did. Why does he remember only in snippets? The king/captain doesn’t seem to know him...

7. who is the young girl in jail and why was she recruited by Lee Rim? 

8. thief in palace - the one interrogated by the court lady wasn’t the culprit but the female security officer certainly looks suspicious - she looks familiar but I can’t place her in the other world?

that’s it for now....mostly rhetorical unless answerable :D

• LOL 2

6 hours ago, SweetButters said:

Yea like I dont know why LG is surprised? Like he should have known that LR had planned for years and years to kill LG's father and so I dont know why he wouldn't think LR wouldn't now. LG needs to think extremely big like his uncle and think more calculated than LR lol.

I actually loved the way LG responded. There’s no way he could have known, down to the details, what LR was up to, hence why he was surprised. That moment was a light bulb to him. He’s quite smart and calculative and connected the dots pretty quickly once he found the guy at the restaurant and discovered SJ was from his world. I like how everything fell into place. There were a lot of moving parts but they’ve all merged into one story. Somehow, SJ discovering his true identity is also a revelation to LG that his uncle has been switching people. One thing builds up to the next and we’ve finally gotten to the point where our hero knows what’s going on. If you ask me, the real story begins here. After all, this is about the battle between LG and his uncle, the flute, and finding a way to close the gate(s). Maybe I have really high hopes but I think the remaining 8 episodes will all be really exciting :D 

6 hours ago, syntyche said:

But Lee Gon's cool demeanor amidst that tense encounter was arresting. Even in the scene with the resto owner, we see his anger through his clenched fist, and yet he has ultimate restrain. His eyes, however, says it all - they perfectly convey the complex and emotional depth of character as he shifts emotion from chaos to anxiety to heavy responsibility. Add to that his compelling voice - "It seems like I am your king."

I applaud Lee Min Ho for his subtle yet powerful acting. His screen time may be out of his hands, but he delivers an emotional performance with such captivating presence as if owning the entire stage.

You can say that again! You described his acting perfectly! 

• Like 9
  • Love 6

23 hours ago, kboramint said:

Did they ever explain how the girl who works at the alley (cafe) can afford two expensive cars?? 

Actually I may have to add onto my previous answer to this question. My bf said from his point of view, she was only able to afford that 2nd expensive car because of the diamond LG gave her. He said her car from the beginning of the drama was pricey but the one we saw in this episode cost way more. I'm not someone into cars so I didn't know but my bf likes cars and he said that Aston Martin cars are really expensive so Nari is only able to afford one because she got the diamond as payment from LG. She didn't have that car before.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Okay since many post discussed, I'd like to add my two cents a bit, some of K viewers are having hard time to adjust with the story while most of overseas audiences like us discussed this lots more than our work or subjects at school. Even with some slightly different language we follow the story well and create tons of theories 

Please allow me to add my two cents on this as well. When drama was initially drafted, the production team and writer probably took into account that it would air in Netflix internationally. They had to think what and how would the drama interests international viewers whose taste of drama and TV series is quite different from Korean audiences. The usual formula that worked for Korean might not work to interest broader audiences who are less influenced by lead actors' star power but more into plots. As the result,  this drama created multiple plots interwoven between key characters to tell a fantasy first romance second story. 

The K-dramas that have gotten most attention in America, and I have watched because recommendation by New York Times, are Mr. Sunshine and Crush Landing One You. On brought the historical content and the other curiosity of life in N Korea to viewers. These are all bigger subjects and plots than just a love story. 

I think the King has been attempting to do the same but perhaps underestimated the difference in taste between domestic and international viewers. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, rocat said:

I whirled past the 50 odd new pages since I was here last my head is still spinning :sweatingbullets: 

We left at the hug scene from ep6, but ep7 started from another point, and continues somewhere in the middle. Ay, the magic,frankly, flew out the window for me. I think the show is probably raising the ante to transmit suspense and mystery but I feel like I am in an escape room and have to piece the story together a little blind.

you know when you have a winning streak at UNO and there is always someone who then mixes up the UNO cards so all the draw-4s are well separated so it will be fair play again? At times I have my draw-4s with this show but mostly but I find that the show is cleaning the cards to mess with me. Also, LMH is making it quite difficult - my brain shuts down at the twinkly eyes and that darn smirk. 

ok, questions (Some might be silly) I hv on my mind:

1. Lee Gon’s mother - she is not around but the doppelgänger is. she is kept alive cos Lee Rim wants to use her to threaten the king I suppose. Why is the doppelgänger interested in Shin Jae when he was walking back to the police station? 

2. Shin Jae’s mother - the one with him has short hair and the doppelgänger is the one wth a pony tail. the pony tail lady seems to care more about him than the gambling one - how come? Seems like both women have the same son who is in the Republic - pony tail in the shadows, short hair in the light. 

3. the boy with the yoyo- he appears too often to be a random character...who is he? He knows Luna.

4. Luna- she’s crazy, I like her. She appears to know about the parallel world too. Her being a criminal seems to be a facade...she seems to be trying to solve something. Both king and traitor are looking for her...

5. PM’s mother - she had to look up a textbook to see who Lee Rim is. If this guy was infamous 25 years ago, why doesn’t she recognize him? She must be a young adult then living in the same world? Is she an undercover in disguise .... or is she real and it’s just bad makeup? Haha.

6. how did shin jae get to the Republic? Obviously the king didn’t bring him so the other one did. Why does he remember only in snippets? The king/captain doesn’t seem to know him...

7. who is the young girl in jail and why was she recruited by Lee Rim? 

8. thief in palace - the one interrogated by the court lady wasn’t the culprit but the female security officer certainly looks suspicious - she looks familiar but I can’t place her in the other world?

that’s it for now....mostly rhetorical unless answerable :D

1. Maybe a little bit of relief that her lie will come out? That finally she can get out of the circle of h. that she’s been going thru. She can finally get caught. 

2. Yes, SJ was switched at a young age. He didn’t have a clue. The real mother that is in the palace is a spy, and the true mother of SJ. 

3. The boy is a ? 
He could be just a boy or part of the balance. Might work for god, or the tree. 

4. I don’t think Luna knows quite yet about other worlds. . We definitely know that the evil uncle wants to meet her and possibility recruit her.

5. The PM’s mother is an enigma. Most likely she will have a bigger part to play.

6. Because he was probably a normal boy in Corea. His mother probably was recruited after the evil uncle left to Korea. Most likely was one of the first recruitments. Probably was drugged and awoke in a hospital in Korea. 
7. Because her doppelgänger works as a security guard in the palace in Corea. Didn’t work out in the end. 

• Like 6

Hi all,

I have some strange feelings about Jung Tae Eul and some unresolved questions about her life:

Discussion time? :)

1) Why does her father befriend Lee Gon so quickly? Even if it's about the majestic Lady Maximus, each time he came to visit - Lee Gon was welcomed. This feels rather contrary to a father role that would be quite suspicious of a guy that kept popping up to ask for his daugher. What could it be? Shouldn't they show at least a background conversation between them if it was meant to be a passing conversation?

2) When Jung Tae Eul disappeared to Corea, her father was not even worried and even probed her to talk about The Guy with the Horse -- seemingly aware of what was going on and not even worried at all. Even if he's a very chill father, even Tae Eul was surprised that he wasn't looking for her. It did seem out of character.

3) Jung Tae Eul's mother passed away due to cancer when she's five. Luna is told to be having terminal cancer. If Luna were to die in the story, why Cancer specifically? Cancer does have a genetical hereditary disease trait. Am I reading too much or is there a clue here waiting to be solved?

Picture of Jung Tae Eul and her family:

86438117-4539-4-DA6-BA0-D-20-D80-EDFB014

• Like 7
  • Insightful 7

8 hours ago, reynamorisson said:

Hi all,

I have some strange feelings about Jung Tae Eul and some unresolved questions about her life:

Discussion time? :)

1) Why does her father befriend Lee Gon so quickly? Even if it's about the majestic Lady Maximus, each time he came to visit - Lee Gon was welcomed. This feels rather contrary to a father role that would be quite suspicious of a guy that kept popping up to ask for his daugher. What could it be? Shouldn't they show at least a background conversation between them if it was meant to be a passing conversation?

2) When Jung Tae Eul disappeared to Corea, her father was not even worried and even probed her to talk about The Guy with the Horse -- seemingly aware of what was going on and not even worried at all. Even if he's a very chill father, even Tae Eul was surprised that he wasn't looking for her. It did seem out of character.

3) Jung Tae Eul's mother passed away due to cancer when she's five. Luna is told to be having terminal cancer. If Luna were to die in the story, why Cancer specifically? Cancer does have a genetical hereditary disease trait. Am I reading too much or is there a clue here waiting to be solved?

Picture of Jung Tae Eul and her family:

Are you thinking that somehow JTE is actually from KOC? Cause I have been toying with that idea as well. That would be a story that can make her be with Lee Gon. But I’m not sure

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Heretorant said:

I actually loved the way LG responded. There’s no way he could have known, down to the details, what LR was up to, hence why he was surprised. That moment was a light bulb to him. He’s quite smart and calculative and connected the dots pretty quickly once he found the guy at the restaurant and discovered SJ was from his world. I like how everything fell into place. There were a lot of moving parts but they’ve all merged into one story. Somehow, SJ discovering his true identity is also a revelation to LG that his uncle has been switching people. One thing builds up to the next and we’ve finally gotten to the point where our hero knows what’s going on. If you ask me, the real story begins here. After all, this is about the battle between LG and his uncle, the flute, and finding a way to close the gate(s). Maybe I have really high hopes but I think the remaining 8 episodes will all be really exciting :D 

You can say that again! You described his acting perfectly! 

@Heretorant Very true !! haha now I wonder if SJ will treat LG differently since LG is actually now his king :joy:. LG can behead SJ now hahah.

------------------------------------------------

So concerning the whole meet up between JY and Nari, why does he not act like ES ? Wouldn't that have been less suspicious? I mean after all in earlier scenes, he managed to pull it off the whole I'm ES act with the two guys at the police station. 

Also with ES and JY in the next episode, here's what I think is going to happen:

1) JY is going to stay behind in ROK (LG already told him in ep 7 that he was planning on leaving JY there anyways to look for LR plus LG probably wants JY to protect JTE too....hence why he's at Nari's coffee shop while Nari and JTE are talking)

Q895Wwe.png

*his little cracked smile is so cute in this haha

2) ES is going to go to KOC to help LG maintain appearances (someone mentioned too how this would be perfect since ES told LG his next dream is to be a citizen in KOC anyways lol)

3) ES is going to get shot because he jumps in front of LG, but he won't actually get hurt since he's seen here wearing a bulletproof vest. Also when he responds to with "what" in the ep.9 preview, you definitely can hear ES's accent in it and then he immediately changes to sounding like JY with that "oh".

Rv9PADJ.png

Perfect Vid for all those JY/Nari Shippers :love::

• Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

1) JY is going to stay behind in ROK (LG already told him in ep 7 that he was planning on leaving JY there anyways to look for LR plus LG probably wants JY to protect JTE too....hence why he's at Nari's coffee shop while Nari and JTE are talking)

2) ES is going to go to KOC to help LG maintain appearances (someone mentioned too how this would be perfect since ES told LG his next dream is to be a citizen in KOC anyways lol)

3) ES is going to get shot because he jumps in front of LG, but he won't actually get hurt since he's seen here wearing a bulletproof vest. Also when he responds to with "what" in the ep.9 preview, you definitely can hear ES's accent in it and then he immediately changes to sounding like JY with that "oh".

I agree JY is going to stay in ROK to look for LR, but I'm not sure if JTE is going to stay in ROK since we saw that scene with the yoyo kid... I'm not sure what LG would do to SJ now that he knows SJ actually belongs in COR. Would he take SJ with him back? He might bring JTE with him too since she might need more clues for her case and it seems they're all linked to COR so she might go to COR with LG. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Also with ES and JY in the next episode, here's what I think is going to happen:

*his little cracked smile is so cute in this haha

While I love the idea of the ES/JY swap KOC-ROK only heartache will follow .....

ES has a crush on Na-Ri - Seung-A has a crush on JY  :wub:

ES and Seung-A will be working together in the palace, and while ES knows whats happening if he is even a little bit kind to Seung-A you know only heartbreak is coming when he has to go back.

Heres hoping the writers have some sort of happy ending worked out :unsure:

LCO

• Like 6

1 hour ago, reynamorisson said:

Hmm... I think since this isn't the family drama type which they tend to have a nosy father whenever this new guy appear in his daughter life. Well, her father is such a carefree one and since his daughter is a black belt since young and let's assumed she's much more improved until now. Plus she's a lieutenant of crime squad team. Her father must feel reassured and less worried of her. Remember how he even didnt notice she's gone for quite long (she went to Corea) but he just thought she returned from her stake-out duty. I like that writer wrote TE's father this way. He likes LG and especially his Maximus is his favorite. Why does he like him? Hmm... because LG is nice or because he has chemistry with him. It's not that difficult to like LG I think. He has good manner and polite to people. And he seems trustworthy. They didn't show the conversation maybe because of the scenes duration. Though, it would be fun to see a glimpse of their interaction directly right. But well maybe they need more than 70 minutes to slip in more side stories like this. Because they already have lots on the plate so they skip this one through LG's narration. 

1 hour ago, reynamorisson said:

Because maybe cancer is one of the deadliest disease that writer could think of, since it's a disease which can possibly come back even after you're free of it. I'm not a medical expert nor study further about it but so far there's no really cure to cancer. The only thing that doctors do is trying to alleviate it and healthy life style helps to maintain the cancer cell won't come back. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The clue, not sure. It can be yes or no depends on the next stories we got. But so far it's just merely her set-up character to make her look tragic and unlucky. 

The family picture confirms JY that JTE is not Luna and they're different people as LG said. 

• Like 9

LG is leaving JY in ROK without any accomplice or proper Money can be adjusted. But taking ES in KOC as the Royal Guatd when he knows King and the Kingdom is in danger without proper Training in Combat or anything for that matter is so risque. King is targetted , multiple swaps are done ES is not JY in Kungfu Karate (Combat, pardon my 3 am musing) , everyone is in danger.

LG please learn to shoot or enlighten us with some Fighting scenes except hitting with your flutewand (sincere request to PD), instead of pondering when can you get to have that delicious Stew!! What a Mess...

giphy.gif

• LOL 9

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:

So concerning the whole meet up between JY and Nari, why does he not act like ES ? Wouldn't that have been less suspicious? I mean after all in earlier scenes, he managed to pull it off the whole I'm ES act with the two guys at the police station. 

I'm afraid that both will fall for each other, than young will understand how LG must feel about TE too. That their love has such barrier between them. NR never really responds to ES's crush since he himself is quite a coy and didnt really try to confess to her. But this new ES (aka young) made her feel different like she sees him in a whole new light. The way she told TE that she waits ES for bringing her Japchae but he didn't come. If Young stays longer in ROK. Then like or not, he must pretend to be ES to make less people who knows his real identity. But this is not the point, the important thing is if both are end up liking each other like how LG and TE. They probably shared the same worries. Have I said this before? I like their meet-up, love how Young is anxious and doing some investigation in his head about how should he react to her. Lol. 

I like this idea, it's time for our ES-gun to have a trip to Corea, fulfilling his 63th wish?? But LG said he can't. Hmm... let's see then. ES is such a naive and cute big boy so bringing him along wouldn't be a better choice. Plus the palace is already full of LR's spies and people easily notice the differences, especially the royal guards who used to work under Young's command. He's the captain right. 

First time I saw it from the bts fancam made me shocked. I think I'm going to be really sad if one of our good heroes is dead. But you mentioned about the possibility he's wearing a bulletproof vest, now I'm less worried, whoever he is, whether it's JY or ES, they can be saved right. 

At first I root him with MSA but after ep 8 I like him with NR too.

• Like 5
  • Love 2