[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

@Dramafreak Yes, she tried to ask why Lee Gon fell for her: if it was due to her actions and if she had acted differently, he might have not liked her. But Lee Gon was very clear that no matter what, he would have loved her. Indirectly, he was confirming that it was his fate and his choice to love her, just like her.

She saw it as her fate to love him and as such, she chose to live in the moment and to embrace her destiny, even if it means that it can end in a tragedy.

• Like 11
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

Lee Min Ho updated his IG account.

Maybe the stars will take away your sorrow
Maybe the flowers will fill your atrium with beauty
Or maybe hopes will dry your tears forever
But the most important thing is

Silence will make you stronger.

I think he exactly knows what his fans thinking about the drama. So he post this.

And this is very LMH - silent but strong.  How a warm and thoughtful person we love.  :heart: 

Why I want to cry:tears:

Py0Y.gif

Teaser and last scene have surpassed 200K views on Naver Tv

• Like 12

1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

The King on Netflix today. (May 10)

TOP 1 :  Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippine, Thailand
TOP 2 : Taiwan
TOP 3 : South Korea

TOP 4 : Japan

TOP 10 : India

cr as tagged

For me, TKEM is a successful drama having a above average rating on cable tv and they are always on top trending then most of the time it’s on no. 1 place. 

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, nana4ever said:

I think he gave us a clue that he is in pain in episode 7..The kitchen scene where he said now you know the hell that I've lived.  As a king it's his duty to have  a persona of coolness as we saw in episode 8 when the guy was talking about his father and he may die the same way...the camera focused on his hands and they were shaking but his countenance  was cool and unshakeable.  What internal pain he must have felt.    There is no one he can share his struggle with in his Kingdom.  That is why his determination to find JTE  consumed him  She became his  refuge in a world that expects so much from him.   Episode 8 he said he missed her calling him" hey....mister".  Because she sees him not as the King  but LG.  

Yes,  these were the moments and scenes that I treasured, just wished there were more of them. We all know the King is a multifaceted character, but so far they didn't properly display him to us. Much missed opportunities by writer and director to allow him to connect with us more deeply.  King is also a loveable character already, but our connection with him would notch up when he is allowed to show more of his full range emotions. The battle scene (determination, self- confidence, torch-bearer all those emotions were clearly seen on his face ) and the kitchen scene as you pointed out, were two of those few moments in ep 6 we loved. 

If there has been a brief scene where king woke up in sweat from his bed in darkness, we as viewers would have felt the pain he's been enduring since his father's murder. It would make his "now you know the hell I've lived" more than just words. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, ladylia257 said:

My question is, has the child in the wheelchair or the mother appeared again in the story?  Was the child Sinjae? 

Has someone replied to your question yet? So far they haven't reappeared yet. He isn't SJ. SJ is another kid as you see in ep 8. But as you do, I also wonder who is this boy and why would LR visited them and offers that revenge for them.  As far as I observed LR, he won't go scouting people for no reason. There must something he's after from them, or someone who simply annoyed him. I believe the writer planned to hint something from here. Like how the yoyo kid is also the one who exists in TE's world which hit her accidentally and lost her ID card in the process. The yoyo boy is aquintance with Luna. Someone who keeps her stuff and updates her with some info after she's out from jail. 

P.S. 

Spoiler

I'm sorry but I keep reading people celebrating mother's day. Is it today? Ah.. it's on May 10th for international. In my country it is every 22th December. But for me every day is mother's day. So to my mom, and all mothers here or out there, "thank you and love you" 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hi all, I'm new here. First time in Soompi because I fall in love with this drama!!

Really enjoyed reading all the discussion and sharing here :) :) 

I watch all KES's work and I guess, the ending will be a realistic one that "the gate will be close" and the would should be separated.

I sense that it will be a happy ending but NOT the sweet ending (I don't think LG & JTE can live together)

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, leeminhosny said:

This is true passion. lmao I love the passion between Lmh and his fans. It's geninue. True passion. I recall him making a song dedicated to them only. He realizes the passion and always makes sure that the link is there to his sweethearts. I appreciate passion where ever I see as an observer I could like your post +100 if i could. 

This gif describe the unseen passion between him and fans

003d574dd755a0ece76c329ed36fe81e.gif

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Has someone replied to your question yet? So far they haven't reappeared yet. He isn't SJ. SJ is another kid as you see in ep 8. But as you do, I also wonder who is this boy and why would LR visited them and offers that revenge for them.  As far as I observed LR, he won't go scouting people for no reason. There must something he's after from them, or someone who simply annoyed him. I believe the writer planned to hint something from here. Like how the yoyo kid is also the one who exists in TE's world which hit her accidentally and lost her ID card in the process. The yoyo boy is aquintance with Luna. Someone who keeps her stuff and updates her with some info after she's out from jail. 

Someone replied already, but I don't mind getting a second answer. Yes, I'll look forward to find out who the mother and chils are in future episodes. 

I think I need to rewatch after TKEM ended, to understand all the mysteries better. I don't want to do rewatch now because I think I'll be more satisfied watching everything in one go. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

A netizen comment "I don't know anything, writer ,just make this couple happy" :lol:

I have been reading comments under clips on Naver and majority of them are very favourable. They are excited for the story and love it. But I also observed the comments statistics. Majority are teenagers. 32% are teenagers. 22% in their 20s. only 15 % in 30s.

Now afaik, teenagers don't watch stuff on tv. esp when its available on other platforms. Journalists should be writing about this segment and how its top in Netflix and not be lazy by making up articles out of anti's comments. There are lot more positive comments than negative ones. Trash ppl who hate on the cast/writer hyping up the hatred.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, kotoria99 said:

I watch all KES's work and I guess, the ending will be a realistic one that "the gate will be close" and the would should be separated.

I sense that it will be a happy ending but NOT the sweet ending (I don't think LG & JTE can live together)

Welcome. Sorry to cut your post. :)

Let's keep the worse possibility first and who knows later we might be surprised with a sweet happy ending for them. But yes, I sense that too cause certain scenes keep hinting to us that way too. But I'm positively hoping that KES will stick to happy ending, I mean she must, for the sake of everyone. On top of that, the recent real life problem is pretty hard for most of us. So giving us the happy ending we want could be a wise decision. Or maybe they plan for season 2. Since it's on Netflix and making seasons for drama could be a new trend. If LA can have its second season this year then why not this time writer goes with the flow too, hmm... my wishful thinking. Well.. let's see. I enjoy the drama much so I would worry the ending later, not now. Lol 

@ladylia257 While I keep rewatching the episodes from 1 again untill we meet next friday. Like someone said, I need to get an A+ for the king subjects. :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

8 minutes ago, Layali said:

I have been reading comments under clips on Naver and majority of them are very favourable. They are excited for the story and love it. But I also observed the comments statistics. Majority are teenagers. 32% are teenagers. 22% in their 20s. only 15 % in 30s.

Now afaik, teenagers don't watch stuff on tv. esp when its available on other platforms. Journalists should be writing about this segment and how its top in Netflix and not be lazy by making up articles out of anti's comments. There are lot more positive comments than negative ones. Trash ppl who hate on the cast/writer hyping up the hatred.

yes I said this from the beginning :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 3

Wow. I thought Japan would hate the drama after all the controversies and they convey Japan as an enemy but this proves us all wrong because its doing so well thats in even in top 4. Maybe the hallyu biggest hit there in so many years. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, scrawford said:

but even the in the beginning, I feel like the the writing of the romance is a bit stiff.... but I think both LMH And KGE did real well with what they have, so even tho we have a lot of people saying no chemistry, we also have a lottt of people say they have good chemistry. And a lot of the complained about the romance are based on “no build” so that’s not the actors fault. We don’t have to agree, but even with choppy writing, I feel like they have chemistry 

The King comes across as stiff because he is brought up to be that way - cool , calm, collected and proper under any circumstances. Maybe that's why there is not as much "intensity" as people would like in the romance. But I love Shin Jae and JTE's chemistry. They really are so natural with each other. That is the greatest bromance to me. The great thing is that although they often don't talk nice or treat each other nice, I feel they would die for each other. Such is the level of their trust.

• Like 8

LOVE IS THE MOMEEEENT!

“Do I like you?”

The Heirs meta! Kim Eun Sook has brought that famous line back!

Have you noticed? The translator certainly didn’t because they translated it as “Do I have a crush on you?”.

82aa3ef400c415862afa2da36b4cee81c73dde40d6af61b5b306c886cf5d1af7122e5b50af2471b7

Spoiler

006bd370a21ce65f25e5c0a514f667233685e30bb1a34494a2521b1643349fb97b17e42b4f23db18

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

As a neutral observer who has not much at stake here. I think the drama can gather 80-90 mio views on Netflix hence making it major hit. There is approx about 25-30 mio subscribers on Netflix in Asia + India and it's airing 1 episode at a time so you have to multiple that with 16 episdoes and also add up the numbers its making in latin America and Africa which is generally good and add that on top with the US, Europe and Australia. It's easily doable. I think 50mio views from Asia+india is attainable + 10mio views from Latin America and Africa and add that with another 15mio views from the rest. You are looking at 75-90 mio views on Netflix which is pretty realistic target so far. I am also being slightly conservative in my tracking. Could go little higher by 20+ or under by 20+ but either way if it ends that way it would become top 10 worldwide in 2020 TV-series on Netflix easy. Nothing is set in stone yet but I think it has great prospect of gaining that milestone if it continues at this pace  

• Like 13
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, rambutan said:

The King comes across as stiff because he is brought up to be that way - cool , calm, collected and proper under any circumstances. Maybe that's why there is not as much "intensity" as people would like in the romance. But I love Shin Jae and JTE's chemistry. They really are so natural with each other. That is the greatest bromance to me. The great thing is that although they often don't talk nice or treat each other nice, I feel they would die for each other. Such is the level of their trust.

Nice point here, SJ can see through JTE even if he doesn't neccessarily spells it out. Its pretty obvious but again not the most important point to be highlighted. 

Sj has like n number of reasons to help King, his involvement in World Swap without his consent leading to maybe the firsts of the swaps , his mother's forced allegiance to LR to set her free, his friendship with JTE and the way he can pay her bavk by saving LG and the Worlds.

If its Lee Gon Duty to help restore the balance then its Shin Jae's Pound of Flesh to help save the Pyeha and JTE's world as well due to the Switch he never wanted.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

As a neutral observer who has not much at stake here. I think the drama can gather 80-90 mio views on Netflix hence making it major hit. There is approx about 25-30 mio subscribers on Netflix in Asia + India and it's airing 1 episode at a time so you have to multiple that with 16 episdoes and also add up the numbers its making in latin America and Africa which is generally good and add that on top with the US, Europe and Australia. It's easily doable. I think 50mio views from Asia+india is attainable + 10mio views from Latin America and Africa and add that with another 15mio views from the rest. You are looking at 75-90 mio views on Netflix which is pretty realistic target so far. I am also being slightly conservative in my tracking. Could go little higher by 20+ or under by 20+ but either way if it ends that way it would become top 10 worldwide in 2020 TV-series on Netflix easy. Nothing is set in stone yet but I think it has great prospect of gaining that milestone if it continues at this pace  

It stil isn't my country and everyone watches first day other sites , they really miss to so many viewers I guess Netflix will air after finish

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, briseis said:

LOVE IS THE MOMEEEENT!

“Do I like you?”

The Heirs meta! Kim Eun Sook has brought that famous line back!

Have you noticed? The translator certainly didn’t because they translated it as “Do I have a crush on you?”.

Hide contents

That is what I have been telling since yesterday. JO Yeong totally pulled a KIM-Tan on Nari and she buzzed him off. :lol::ph34r:

I am so sneakily waiting for someone to get me a MV with them playing LOVE IS THE MOMEEEEEENTTTTT as background score. :phew: #hidesbackinroom

• LOL 3