[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

While some might think LR is delaying the revolt, I see it differently. He is moving with his plans in a very detail and careful way. He's meticulously gathered his allies in both worlds. He's basically growing stronger before he goes with his plan. If LG never finds about the door or this parallel world. LR could take over everything and create much more enormous problems in both worlds. 

So far I see that the rule set by the flute as the tool to open the gate between the worlds. As the flute was broken into two means only these two people can access the door. So to stop this, LG shouldn't lose his half to LR and take the other half from him. They don't need to destroy the flute but they need the wise king who keep it and maintain both worlds to keep co-existing separately like how it supposed to be. So this is me trying to find a good solution for our couple future happy ending. Lol. This way when things gets safe at the end of the day. They still can meet, like travelling abroad as they cross the parallel world. 

And I'm so into the heavy plot they brought here. I liked how all of this written pretty in depth for characters, plot and conflict. I thought it would just about some fluffy cute romance. I'm so keen on it. I don't mind if they go a bit dark side. It's totally intense! Both LG and Young are capturing the bad guys and punish them accordingly. 

And have I said that I'm so in love with how calm and cold-headed LG is! He didn't just act recklessly because of his anger and take very careful actions to solve every problems which comes his way. LMH is making LG's character more charming and such a man of dignity! I like his deep vocal whenever he speaks seriously. It goes down well with him. 

Who send the newspaper to KSR? Well like most, I guess it probably from LR. He might instructed his spies or minions to do this intentionally. What is his motive well let's see. I believe he won't go to people telling this parallel world and make some deals with them unless he'll get some benefit from them. Because it's clear enough it's not him who tell LG about all of this. So let's see whether this is really his doing or it's from someone else who feel wronged by him.

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

Wow! Episode 8 is exciting! It's a mix of everything. Most things seems to be tying up now. Insights:

• for some saying The King is slow... I think it's  a slow burn like how you cook food when you don't want to overfry the skin. I mean, the story is tying up nicely. have you observed that the scenes on earlier episodes seem to stretch the story/makes it slow BUT if I look at it now, I may re-watch from Episode 1 because all the scenes are important for the future (especially there's a big possibility of time travel). We need to look at The King as a whole. The story is just building up, and it's exciting! I love it when a show makes me think and not just spoon-feed me with info. It's for a mature, smart audience.

• JTE is a cool, badass woman. I've rarely seen this before. A woman taking the lead. I hug you, I said I love you first. That's no big deal 'cause I know you love me too. She always takes LG by surprise. Makes her more attractive to her. An alpha male (King) and alpha woman. Perfect match. Enough with the damsels in distress plotlines, love it!!

• JY has a crush on Na-ri. It's new to him that a girl doesn't fangirl over him. She's a tough woman in his eyes.

• whoa! SJ is from Corea. This is a good turn of events. LG will gave more allies in Korea. He needs it. LR has a herd of followers. I think that SJ & LG could be childhood playmates because his mom works in the palace, right? Now, I'm thinking he could be LG's savior.

• Woo Do-hwan is a great actor! JY and ES are my favorites!! Their scenes are so entertaining to watch. Waiting for more bromance scenes! He's smoldering and handsome as JY and very funny as ES.

• PM Koo could be an ally in the future. She is ambitious and climbs her way up the ladder but I don't think she would go to the dark side. She'd be more curious about JTE & Luna for sure. She'll dig in.

1 more week before Episode 9 & 10 :( Can't wait! If you still don't like The King at this episode, I bet it's really not your cup of tea because things will get more dark, complex and intense (exciting!) and if you're too confused, you have to understand the story from Episode 1 to really enjoy it. If you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's not good. So don't spread the hate here.

• Like 10
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Hachiko said:

Omg yes!!!!! That means the swap of JY and JES. JY stays and corporates with JTE and SJ (?maybe), ES leaves with LG and takes the role of Unbreakable Sword for real .

Sorry to cut your post short.

Based on the preview, it is possible that they swap places since ES looks weird according to NR and JY act unusual with his underling.

Probably it is kind of premonition also since ES wanted to be KoC citizen LoL.

And thus ES can be with SeungAh that fangirling JY thus the real JY that i think started to take interest into NR can go with her. Win win solution 

Tbh i kind of have mixed feeling towards ep 8. The writer taking to many times unfolding SJ character if there is no need of him in the future. If he's going to be one of the important arc then it is ok.

But just for the effort explaining that LR already switch people here and there since 25 years ago, it is such a waste of screentime.

Even SJ in the first poster arch is not that important compare to Luna and yet we just shown her recently with tons of mystery.

I have a hunch they'll prolong the episode until 18 but until 20, i don't think so. 

Low rating is kind of big matter in Korea ent industry.

I rember how Arth chron taking so long to have a confirmation sequel despite the director already stated that it was a drama that intended to be a seasonal drama.

I've seen more and more recent drama that have international buzz like extraordinary you despite playing in mbc with rating range 3-4. The drama later create buzz inside korea and rose the actor to stardom coz international fans take notice first.

So, low rating is still consider fine if it still create big buzz internationally

• Like 4

Hello. 

My first time posting here, because I have a question that confuses me. 

There was a scene of a child in a wheelchair, having a birthday party. His friends were fake and mocked him. Lee Rim came and offered his help to the child's protective mother. And soon we knew that the kids who were mocking the child had some injuries that would make them paralyzed from then on. 

My question is, has the child in the wheelchair or the mother appeared again in the story?  Was the child Sinjae? 

Please enlighten me, thank you. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ladylia257 said:

Hello. 

My first time posting here, because I have a question that confuses me. 

There was a scene of a child in a wheelchair, having a birthday party. His friends were fake and mocked him. Lee Rim came and offered his help to the child's protective mother. And soon we knew that the kids who were mocking the child had some injuries that would make them paralyzed their whole time. 

My question is, has the child in the wheelchair or the mother appeared again in the story?  Was the child Sinjae? 

This is interesting. You are on to something. I am hoping others will come in and clearify it but it could have been the reason why the switch happened

6 minutes ago, ladylia257 said:

Welcome to the thread, so fa as I know of, that was the only occasion and no he wasn't SJ.  You can see SJ as a child in last night's episode. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

Actually come to think of it.

When LG first met Luna, it wasn't planned. 

Luna was just running away from the group of gangsters.

And someone pointed out that LR was at the scene of rowing competition, so what are the chances that he had someone donning the rabbit jacket outfit to lure LG out the 2nd time?

And talking about LR's long stewing of coup.

I'm thinking that LR is trying to swap people here and there so that he will has supporters who will support him taking the throne since he has money and power to overthrow LG.

Either by force abdication because of money and power or poison since so many minions seems to be inside the palace as well.

Or he didn't know the whereabouts of the other half of the flute until LG crossed over.

So now he know LG has the possession of the half flute, maybe that is when he will speed things up faster? 

Yes, for that part. I remember that well. But the second time Luna appears with the rabbit jacket in the horse ranch is quite intentional. I mean, how could she be in that place if it's not for baiting him. ;) Then it's probably someone else. It never really shows it's Luna. Well... did I overthink this too much? Lol 

We're on the same page about LR and his long stewing coup. Yup, he didn't know about the other part is in LG's hands or he did know but he never thought that LG could find the door with it. As little LG narrated that he hears a sound of the flute that's why he walked to the place where he's dad got killed without hearing the gunshot. This flute might do its magic to lead the holder of it to the doorway. Only LR and LG found it since they have the flute pieces. Like Seong Hye said, they're getting caught now. So LR might speeds up his plans soon. 

Oh... preview! Thanks! I forgot for a moment that they aired it separately. Oh... there's lot of stuffs we're looking forward on next episode. 

34 minutes ago, blobbityblobbityblob said:

JTEWe don't have time.
LG: Can you live with me in my world?

This, this.... this is heartbreaking! I'm desperately want her to say yes to him. But TE is such a righteous one, I'm afraid she won't agree easily. She loves the citizens of Korea and their well beings are her top priority so far. Though, I believe deep down her heart she would like to be a bit selfish for having the happiness and goes with the man she loves. Ah.. I don't want to be pessimistic. We won't know until it's really over. So there's still hope. I'm positive. Let's cheer up, peeps!

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Welcome to the thread, so fa as I know of, that was the only occasion and no he wasn't SJ.  You can see SJ as a child in last night's episode. 

Ah, I see. I suddenly remember that scene. Yes, I have watched ep. 8. Then maybe they will reappear in the latter episodes. 

15 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

This, this.... this is heartbreaking! I'm desperately want her to say yes to him. But TE is such a righteous one, I'm afraid she won't agree easily. She loves the citizens of Korea and their well beings are her top priority so far. Though, I believe deep down her heart she would like to be a bit selfish for having the happiness and goes with the man she loves. Ah.. I don't want to be pessimistic. We won't know until it's really over. So there's still hope. I'm positive. Let's cheer up, peeps!

A pure guess. Maybe Luna and JTE can swap places at the end. So JTE can marry LG and Luna can be a policewoman, JTE's father doesn't have to lose a daughter, and Luna might end up with Sinjae.

Although it's still a big question. Will Luna, Sinjae and the Prime Minister side with LG or LR? 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

12 minutes ago, ladylia257 said:

Ah, I see. I suddenly remember that scene. Yes, I have watched ep. 8. Then maybe they will reappear in the latter episodes. 

Hmmm... I wonder ..  the scene was done to highlight LR's character as a villain who will fulfill one's wish and at the same time expect it to be returned with another bad deed.. if I may say so.

15 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Yes... this is in everyone's mind after understanding more about both worlds.  Just to make myself feel positive I will highlight the word FANTASY that is used in describing this story again and again.  It's not just a fact ... so anything can happen.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

16 minutes ago, ladylia257 said:

Although it's still a big question. Will Luna, Sinjae and the Prime Minister side with LG or LR? 

I'm guessing Luna will side with LR because her character description does mention something along the lines of previously not believing there was a god, but now believing that a god exists (LR)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ladylia257 said:

A pure guess. Maybe Luna and JTE can swap places at the end. So JTE can marry LG and Luna can be a policewoman, JTE's father doesn't have to lose a daughter, and Luna might end up with Sinjae.

I might be quite selfish but yes I like this idea. Honestly, I've thought about this too before. I told myself as long as our couple ended happy then this will do. But of course we can't close our eyes with the Luna's crime history. Even there must be some reason that lead her to be evil she does wrong and that won't be fair if she would be just forgiven without any consequences. Because if she ends up taking TE's place and be the cops. She won't get to pay her wrong doings. But everything could be possible here, huh. She's been in jail for her crimes before. So now she can start a new. 

I expect that they will side with the king in the end. But before that there must be some betrayal and confrontation among them I guess. Luna, SJ and KSR are people who won't just follow people without any thoughts beforehand. Their motives could be the final deal. As for SJ, I think he won't side with LR and would probably agrees to LG's plan later. He's not a bad guy. Look how he cares for his mom and how he cherishes the memories he had with TE. These could be a reason for him to side with LG more than LR. Just my guess, I might be wrong. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

46 minutes ago, ladylia257 said:

There was a scene of a child in a wheelchair, having a birthday party. His friends were fake and mocked him. Lee Rim came and offered his help to the child's protective mother. And soon we knew that the kids who were mocking the child had some injuries that would make them paralyzed from then on. 

I cant remember the child's face, will go and check. I dont think i have seen that pair (mom and child) again but will skim once again.

But that child is not SJ and my guess is that SJ was someone close to LG! Step brother/cousin? LR's son?

@Alice Wonderland and @mrsj3n :

i cant explain the second visit as in Luna running in the black rabbit jacket in the racecourse/stable but we know that LR hasnt collaborated with her before episode 8.

LR asks his minion to find her  and he had never heard of her until then.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ladylia257 said:

My first time posting here too
but i think another challenge that OTP face is if JTE lives with LG in KOC and becomes queen or end up married LG then will the citizens of KOC openly accept JTE as their queen? because Luna already have criminal record
so i'm so curious what the writer's choice to end their story

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hachiko said:

I feel like I have signed up for a module that is so tough and interesting at the same time. Many students may drop but many stay too. I must go to class every Fri, Sat, do so much homework (rewatch and analyze) and have group assignment, group discussion (@soompi) in order to pass the module with flying colors. Let’s wish that our module will have all student score A+ with happy ending. That’s more meaningful than the rating to me.

Hahaha... I love your analogy here. It is indeed so trueee. :lol: yes to A+!! Let's beat the test (solving the mystery and discuss how this and that will end). 

I think when you use your fantasy mind and did some thoughts of it. This is super fun! The drama isn't just a regular fantasy. I watched many dramas with fantasy genre but not all of them can engage me this much. I'm so invested into this one! I dropped many recent fantasy shows because I found it less interesting and turns to be such a boring one. But glad that The King keeps me addicted to its story. 

Did I read someone mention the king is slow, he's not slow!! As he learns everything all at once, he needs to figure it out before taking some right actions. It should be known that he doesn't know much information like us who watched all LR's did. He doesn't have screen which plays the episodes like us. Lol. I mean it's natural how he acts that way. He did takes some precautions and has plan for it later. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Hachiko said:

Omg yes!!!!! That means the swap of JY and JES. JY stays and corporates with JTE and SJ (?maybe), ES leaves with LG and takes the role of Unbreakable Sword for real .

I must say it takes me so much bravery and brain to keep watching this drama as I go against many of my K-drama friends (they gave up) and I have to rewatch again and again to think about the plot. That’s how I love this drama - making me curious and can never give up till I understand .

To be honest, I like how natural JTE is, I like her natural look (so authentic), I like LG (although I am not a fan of LMH), this role is really for LMH acting, being slow, calm, elegant, not expressive, all those should be how a King looks like and act upon. I like all characters and stories involving them, each one plays important key to the whole story. And my fav of course are JY and JES, always.

I feel like I have signed up for a module that is so tough and interesting at the same time. Many students may drop but many stay too. I must go to class every Fri, Sat, do so much homework (rewatch and analyze) and have group assignment, group discussion (@soompi) in order to pass the module with flying colors. Let’s wish that our module will have all student score A+ with happy ending. That’s more meaningful than the rating to me.

@Hachiko Yea !! I just hope with all my heart that neither ES or JY dies because then all types of crazy stuff could happen!! For example in this show called Game of Thrones (dont know if you watch this show or not), but there is this queen named Queen Daenerys who has a right hand man who is her closest most loyal friend who ends up getting killed protecting her and well after that she changes her kind demeanor into a one of fiery vengeance. So if JY gets killed, LG might just be the same way and go down a path of fiery vengeance too. AHH !!!

I totally understand that this show feels like a course haha. Literally TKEM is filled with so many Easter eggs, symbolism, and imagery in every episode so of course you have to rewatch every episode and analyze them. I just finally convinced one of my friends who has never watch kdramas before to watch TKEM because he was able to concisely predict how Game of Thrones would end without ever seeing any leaks or spoilers......so im hoping he can predict how TKEM will end haha. We even made a bet that if he correctly predicts the ending of TKEM, he will get $100 (so im hoping he won't be right :joy:)

I also love JY and ES too!!! The opposite personalities is just amazing and WDH delivers an amazing performance !!!! :heart:

-----------------------------------------

2 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Actually come to think of it.

When LG first met Luna, it wasn't planned. 

Luna was just running away from the group of gangsters.

And someone pointed out that LR was at the scene of rowing competition, so what are the chances that he had someone donning the rabbit jacket outfit to lure LG out the 2nd time?

And talking about LR's long stewing of coup.

I'm thinking that LR is trying to swap people here and there so that he will has supporters who will support him taking the throne since he has money and power to overthrow LG.

Either by force abdication because of money and power or poison since so many minions seems to be inside the palace as well.

Or he didn't know the whereabouts of the other half of the flute until LG crossed over.

So now he know LG has the possession of the half flute, maybe that is when he will speed things up faster? 

@romance06 yes! Great mind.

I also wonder if LR actually like the Queen back in Corea and since he can't have her in Corea, he is keeping the mirror image of her alive.

@mrsj3n I dont know if LR can force abdication through money though because as that random girl says, the LG has like quadrillions of dollars ....wish we were all that lucky haha. Speaking of money, I also thought it was interesting how that LR minion told LG that he doesn't feel sorry for him for him for losing his father because LG was born into great position, power, and wealth. However, despite having all of that what truly matters to LG is not those things, rather it is the people he loves that matters. 

-----------------------------------------

My ideal ending would be JTE and LG getting marry as a symbolism of uniting two worlds (how sweet would it be for LG to have both JY and ES to be the groomsman and Nari to be maid of honor) and then they would have a kid (as to bring relief to head court Lady Noh's worries of no heirs). And in the ending scene, LG and JTE would read the story "Alice in Wonderland" to their child as a way to tell he or she of their love story.  This probably won't happen, but one can only hope !!:heart::love:

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

12 hours ago, kboramint said:

Did they ever explain how the girl who works at the alley (cafe) can afford two expensive cars?? 

In South Korea public transportation works so well and taxis are so cheap that many people don't have a car, or even a driving license. As far as I know, foreign (imported) cars have always been expensive, traditionally because they are heavily taxed by the government in an attempt to make local producers (Hyundai/Kia) more competitive. There are specific restrictions on Japanese cars (you can't bring your own Japanese car to Korea even if you move there for a long period).

Twenty years ago, buying a foreign car was considered "extravagant" and generally frown upon by the middle class (and you risked a tax audit if you bought one!). Now things are slowly changing, and the market is growing more import-oriented than before: affluent South Koreans consider European luxury cars to be a status symbol, so they buy them anyway.

• Like 1