[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

8 hours ago, Justafangirl said:

Seeing how the other Cable drama that has just concluded last night achieved a superb rating really makes me so nervous about The king. I really hope the king would topped the kdrama box office this year. Coincidently 2020 year is getting competitive. 

Can anyone shed some light on cable rating vs. free tv. I know this has been probably discussed previously But still can’t wrap my head around it.  If a drama achieved 20 % on cable, what is the equivalent rating if it was shown on free tv like sbs. For eg... Would a 20% cable rating equals to only 15% in free tv since there are more people watching free tv? 

Hi @Justafangirl, this post by @willenette might be of help:

In Korea rating chart, 15-20% is considered 'strong" -

20% – 30% = a hit
30% – 40% = phenomenal
40% and up = national drama

• In cable dramas, 1%-5% of viewer’s ratings are a standard win. Keep in mind that shows from major broadcasting networks tend to receive higher Nielsen ratings than the ones from cable networks because not as many have access to cable channels. That’s why, viewership ratings are calculated slightly different for cable network dramas. :P

https://forums.soompi.com/topic/82760-lee-min-ho-♥-이민호-♥-ィミンホ-♥-李敏鎬-upcoming-drama-july-2020-the-king-the-eternal-monarch/?do=findComment&comment=21572160

I'm excited for "The King" to air and do well, in ratings, as well as in terms of international reach. With the caliber of LMH, KGE and writer KES, this should not be too far from reality. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eliza Marlowe said:

Actually, there is no such thing as 20% of cable is the same with some amount of big 3. Rating depends on the script, director and the actors. These days, cable networks TVN and JTBC are doing well with some dramas. It doesn't mean Big 3 can't achieve the same success. Rating within SK alone can't decide a drama's sucess. There are some dramas with low and average rating, but did so well internationally; moon lovers, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo, etc. There are also dramas with high rating in SK, but only a few audience outside SK like Sky Castle.

CLOY's success is also green light for the king because it is like reminding- many hallyu fans still exit and the audience is waiting for dramas with a good script and talented actors. 

You know both CLOY and the king are from the same production company: Studio Dragon. Two of the most famous of k-drama scriptwriters, Kim Eun Soon (the king, dots) and Park Ji Eun (CLOY, MLFTS) are signed under Studio Dragon. Even though the king will air in SBS, it can still achieve 20% rating or more.

Let's hope the best for the king. Can't wait for this April.

Hi

Thank you @Eliza for the explanation. Like @Justafangirl I was also nervous about the ratings. 
SBS must have paid a lot of money to screen this drama - do they then hope to get high advertising revenue throughout its run to get their money back? Is that why SK ratings are important

This waiting for a definite start date is so nerve-wracking!

Editing this as only just seen @Syntyche’s  reminder about @Willenette’ explanation on ratings so thank you for that!

• Like 3

With regard to ratings, I believe that sometimes star power of the cast has influence only on the initial episodes while the sustainability of ratings depend on content & execution of the drama. At the end of the day quality overpowers quantity. That's why I hope it has a good story with well crafted characters because I hate half baked goods

• Like 4

LMH, KGE, WDH in The King set

7 hours ago, MicMe said:

they already start filming The King. I thought Kdrama usually film it when they are screening it at the same time. Its been awhile we see Lee Min Ho on drama. Look forward to it. 

Hello @MicMe. "The King" is preproduced, so they are already filming even before its airing date, unlike in other kdramas where filming is done during the same period that it is airing.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, syntyche said:

Hello @MicMe. "The King" is preproduced, so they are already filming even before its airing date, unlike in other kdramas where filming is done during the same period that it is airing.

i see. thanks and hope to see Lee Min Ho soon in The King

• Like 4

Lee Min Ho Sparks Excitement, Underwent Rigorous Preparations For 'More Mature' Role

KEY POINTS

• Lee Min Ho's new series titled 'The King: The Eternal Monarch' will be aired very soon
  • 'The Heirs' actor will play as Emperor Lee Gon, who will try to close the door between the two parallel worlds
  • Lee Min Ho, reportedly, underwent thorough preparations for his 'more mature' role

Devoted followers of Lee Min Ho will be witnessing his much-awaited television comeback very soon. The phenomenal South Korean actor was confirmed to star as the male lead in the upcoming series called “The King: The Eternal Monarch" just a few weeks after he finished his two-year mandatory military service. The 32-year-old actor-model has, reportedly, undergone rigorous preparations for his “more mature” role.

Recently, Lee Min Ho marvelously advertised his upcoming project on social media and fans could not help but admire the good-looking star even more. The “Boys over Flowers” actor shared some cute snaps, on Sunday, Feb. 16, which featured the title of his imminent series. The Instagram post, effortlessly, gathered a million likes just a few hours after it was shared.

“Can't waiiiiitttttt,” one fan wrote in the comment section. “Oppa ah~ love u,” another Instagram user stated. “Been waiting this Oppa,” Mae Park shared. “Mine oppaa , love u lee min ho,” another follower added. “Oppa @actorleeminho saranghaeyo i love you so muccch. I hope you can go to Indonesia again, but...,, please waiting me, because no I'm no have money l but 5years again. Love you oppaaa,” a fifth netizen said.

In Oct. 2019, Soompi reported that the production for “The King: The Eternal Monarch” has kicked off in North Chungcheong Province already. The new series, which also will also star Kim Go Eun, will center on the story of two parallel universes. Lee Min Ho will portray the role of Emperor Lee Gon, who will try to close the door between the two worlds. Go Eun, for her part, will play as detective Jung Tae Eul, who serves the emperor to save the lives of the people and her loved ones.

Other cast members include Woo Do Hwan as Jo Eun Seob and Jo Young, Kim Kyung Nam as Kang Shin Jae and Jung Eun Chae as Goo Seo Ryung. “The King: The Eternal Monarch” is written by Kim Eun Sook, who is the brain behind other successful South Korean drama series such as “Goblin” and “Mr. Sunshine.” She also wrote the “Descendants of the Sun,” which starred former couple Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo. It will be produced by Hwa&Dam Pictures and directed by Baek Sang Hoon, who co-directed the “Moon Drawn by Clouds” and “Descendants of the Sun.”

Lee Min Ho’s new series is scheduled to premiere in the first half of 2020. Stay tuned for more “The King: The Eternal Monarch” spoilers, news and updates.

leemin-ho-kcon2016.jpg

https://www.ibtimes.com/lee-min-ho-sparks-excitement-underwent-rigorous-preparations-more-mature-role-2926975

• Like 2

"SBS will continue to hit the box office price of 'Hyena'

Evest Investment & Securities Co.

"Hyena is more likely to continue the box-office success of Vagabond and Stove League, and the next drama, 'The King: The Eternal Monarch' is certain to hit the jackpot as Kim Eun-sook's next drama," said Kim Hyun-yong, a researcher at Evest Investment & Securities Co. "In the first half of the year alone, two dramas, "Hyena" and "The King", will be aired simultaneously on Netflix, and there is room for an annual increase in overseas OTT sales."

(skipped unrelated)

http://m.newsway.co.kr/news/view?tp=1&ud=2020022408491795814#09Ls

"Hyena" just started airing on the Friday-Saturday timeslot, and is expected to end by mid-April. Speculations are circulating that "The King" would air next after the end of Hyena. Hopefully, so...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, syntyche said:

"SBS will continue to hit the box office price of 'Hyena'

Evest Investment & Securities Co.

"Hyena is more likely to continue the box-office success of Vagabond and Stove League, and the next drama, 'The King: The Eternal Monarch' is certain to hit the jackpot as Kim Eun-sook's next drama," said Kim Hyun-yong, a researcher at Evest Investment & Securities Co. "In the first half of the year alone, two dramas, "Hyena" and "The King", will be aired simultaneously on Netflix, and there is room for an annual increase in overseas OTT sales."

(skipped unrelated)

http://m.newsway.co.kr/news/view?tp=1&ud=2020022408491795814#09Ls

"Hyena" just started airing on the Friday-Saturday timeslot, and is expected to end by mid-April. Speculations are circulating that "The King" would air next after the end of Hyena. Hopefully, so...

What is meant by there is room for an annual increase in overseas OTT sales? 

19 minutes ago, Wind0406 said:

What is meant by there is room for an annual increase in overseas OTT sales? 

Hello @Wind0406. OTT is short for over the top. It refers to film and television content provided via a high-speed internet connection rather than a cable or satellite provider. Popular OTT mediums include Netflix. 

As "The King" is set to be available on Netflix, it is seen that this will increase overseas OTT sales.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1