[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Kim Eun-sook, known to receive 100 million won per episode in manuscript fees, revealed her days as an unknown writer, when she endured with a 500-won snack for three days. She is preparing for her next drama in 2020 with "The King: The Eternal Monarch"

EKQCCOoU0AA0V1_.jpg

http://www.topstarnews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=699899#_enliple

• Like 10

Thank you Syntyche- my goodness this is going to be an expensive drama isn’t?

I’ve just worked it out in UK currency and that is a lot of money, but she has written so many successful dramas I guess you can understand it. When  you think what LMH and Kim Go-eun must be earning plus everything else I wonder if it will be one of the most costly drama yet.

I looked it up and some of the most costly dramas aren’t always such big hits in Korea are they? Arthdal Chronicles for example.

Willenette I know you  are really knowledgeable about KDramas- are the people who produce them getting more reliant on Netflix, Viki and other countries buying the dramas to get a return on the cost?

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Lindyloo421 said:

Thank you Syntyche- my goodness this is going to be an expensive drama isn’t?

I’ve just worked it out in UK currency and that is a lot of money, but she has written so many successful dramas I guess you can understand it. When  you think what LMH and Kim Go-eun must be earning plus everything else I wonder if it will be one of the most costly drama yet.

I looked it up and some of the most costly dramas aren’t always such big hits in Korea are they? Arthdal Chronicles for example.

Willenette I know you  are really knowledgeable about KDramas- are the people who produce them getting more reliant on Netflix, Viki and other countries buying the dramas to get a return on the cost?

In 2015 or early 2016, there were rumors that the new drama of writer Park Ji Eun will cast LMH and JJH, I thought it was impossible because both of them were top actor/actress, no company could afford such a big budget. But after all, Writer Park said they need not accept any placement marketing in her new drama (LOTBS) because the production costs have already got back by selling the right to overseas countries.

I think "The King" will be the same.
Although there were lots of placement marketing in KES's DOTS. :( I hope we will not see Subway in "The King". :P

Filming completed at midnight of 20191126. cr. 泡泡的卷心菜.

According to her Weibo post, his voice saying thank you in Chinese was sooo sweet. The persimmon was given him as a gift. He stretched his hand to take my Lotte bag, he thought that was given him as well. :joy:

EKWuY9hU4AIqlnA?format=jpg&name=medium

EKWuY9GU4AEquos?format=jpg&name=medium

EKWuY9NU8AIF0RW?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 7

K-Dramas Coming to Netflix in 2020

The King: Eternal Monarch

Episodes: 0
South Korea Broadcast Date: Spring 2020 | Broadcaster: SBS
Netflix Release Date: Spring 2020 | Run Time: TBA
Cast: Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun, Woo Do Hwan, Kim Kyung Nam, Jung Eun Chase

K-Dramas-Coming-to-Netflix-2020-The-King

The role of Lee Gon will actor Lee Min Ho’s first role in over four years and his first return to the screen since the end of his military service. Also starring in the series is Guardian: The Lonely and Great God actress Kim Go Eun. K-Drama fans will be super excited to see the onscreen pairing of Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun.

Set across two parrel universes, the first greatly resembles Korea as we know it today. In the opposing universe, the country of Korea is an empire, ruled by a single but kind monarch. When evil forces begin to plot and the door between the two worlds is open, the Korean emperor enlists the help of a detective from the opposite world to help save their worlds.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/k-dramas-coming-to-netflix-in-2020/

• Like 10

Korean representative drama writers are coming back next year

EK--V7nUUAEi4_Z.jpg

Kim Eun-sook, who boasts " Invincible Myth, " is busy filming SBS ' " The King : The Eternal Monarch " with Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun. Kim Eun-sook, the author of " Lovers in Paris, " " On Air, " " Secret Garden, " " Gentleman's Quality, " " Descendants of the Sun, " and " Mr. Sunshine " in 2004, have not failed the box office. " Lovers, " which has relatively low viewer ratings, also recorded the highest ratings of 22.6 percent (Nielsen Korea count, national standard), and " City Hall " also recorded 18 percent and 7 percent.

(skipped unrelated)

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/076/0003505288

***********************************************************************************

16 Most Anticipated K-Dramas of 2020

Korean dramas have caught attention of viewers from across the globe. All thanks to the Internet and the streaming services that make their contents easily accessible. Korean Dramas such as ‘The Heirs’, ‘Trust No One’, ‘My Father is Strange’, ‘Descendants of the Sun’ and ‘Love Alarm’ have become international hits.

So, it is not a surprise that there is so much of curiosity about the upcoming Korean dramas. And, there is a fraternity of viewers eagerly waiting for the latest treats by Korean television. We have seen some of the best Korean dramas this year which makes us quite hopeful for the upcoming years. Here’s the list of upcoming K-Dramas scheduled to release in 2020. We can only hope that these new Korean Dramas turn out to be as good as some of the recent ones.

The King: Eternal Monarch (2020)

‘The King: Eternal Monarch’ is a historical fantasy drama that stars popular actors like Lee Min-ho (‘Boys Over Flowers’), Kim Go-eun (‘Tune in for Love’) and Woo Do-hwan (‘Mad Dog’). It begins with a supernatural intervention in the human world. Out of anger on humanity, the deities unleash powerful demons in the world. They can be stopped, but the door between the human and demon world has to be closed. Emperor Lee Gon takes it upon himself to perform the task. This brings him in contact with a detective who is trying to save the world on her own, too.

https://www.thecinemaholic.com/new-k-dramas/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Syntyche for keeping us up to date on the latest news about The King.

The SBS drama awards are on 31st of this month- and I know they sometimes mention upcoming dramas to whet viewers appetite so perhaps we may at least see some stills from it.

Is it usual for a pre-recoded drama to be kept so secret when being filmed- does anyone know?

• Like 5

Im Curious about this too. there are Zero publication from the production of this Drama, and i was just wondering, is it because no budget? or they do this on purpose. And there never was an official report/photos regarding the script reading. All we have so far are pics/video from people who happen to be the filming location.

Just Odd, that they seem to keep things in secret and oh how i wish, the actors would post some of their pics on their IG account.

• Like 5

20191206 Fan account by 小小鱼冬123.

One of my friend is a six-year fan of Lee Min Ho. She always told me everything how LMH love his fans, so I have one step to be his fan.
After many troubles, I was finally with her to meet LMH this time. Honestly, he is really handsome and very very polite. He even asked us if we felt cold. I was wrapped up in a down jacket and was cold to die. He wore a thin overcoat and took shooting again and again, but he was still an oppa with a lot of smiles !

His profile looks really like a sculpture ! The shooting was completed around 4:00 am, it's very hard. It's was so heart-attacked when he walked in front of me. What a immortal man he is !
Now I still can't believe that the voice and the face in dramas really appeared in front of me yesterday ! I'm Minoz ! I'm soooooo good.

ELFvZ9CU0AAMFRT?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 4

On 12/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, Lindyloo421 said:

Thank you Syntyche for keeping us up to date on the latest news about The King.

The SBS drama awards are on 31st of this month- and I know they sometimes mention upcoming dramas to whet viewers appetite so perhaps we may at least see some stills from it.

Is it usual for a pre-recoded drama to be kept so secret when being filmed- does anyone know?

On 12/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, scrawford said:

Im Curious about this too. there are Zero publication from the production of this Drama, and i was just wondering, is it because no budget? or they do this on purpose. And there never was an official report/photos regarding the script reading. All we have so far are pics/video from people who happen to be the filming location.

Just Odd, that they seem to keep things in secret and oh how i wish, the actors would post some of their pics on their IG account.

My guess it's a combo of being a KES drama and LMH's 1st project after MS.  For LMH's last drama, not much was revealed before the start of the drama, if I remember correctly.  Maybe the production crew is asking the fans who show up at the filming sites not to post photos.   Now, Heirs may have been the exception when there were lots of photos posted before the drama.

Maybe fans of the other actors can weigh in on whether those actors post while filming.  

• Like 6

Lee Min Ho starrer Kdrama The King: The Eternal Monarch story, release date and more

Lee Min Ho will be back on screens with a new historical drama next year. The series is titled The King: The Eternal Monarch. It will focus on two parallel worlds – the Empire of Korea and the Republic of Korea.

The historical fantasy thriller is one of the most awaited Korean dramas (Kdrama) to be released in 2020 as it is the first project of Lee Min Ho after returning from the military. His last work was The Legend of the Blue Sea, which aired on SBS in 2016.

For the mini-series, the young Korean heartthrob will be reuniting with writer Kim Eun Sook. They have worked together in the popular 2013 Kdrama The Heirs. The new drama will feature Boys Over Flowers star as an emperor named Lee Gon.

lee-min-ho.jpg?w=400

Lee Min Ho's character is described as a person who primarily aims at closing the doors between the two worlds. He does that by connecting with a detective from modern-day Korea named Jung Tae Eul. Both the characters will be working together to protect the lives of people by fighting against the devil.

During a live broadcast on Instagram in August, Lee Min Ho disclosed some details about the upcoming historical drama. He told his followers that the series will be a romantic thriller and they can look forward to seeing him as a "King of romance".

kim-go-eun.jpg?w=300

The female lead in The King: The Eternal Monarch is played by Kim Go Eun. She will also portray the role of her lookalike criminal from the Empire of Korea named Luna. Her detective character is teased to have a love triangle with the emperor and one of her team members.

Other actors to appear in the Kdrama are Woo Do Hwan, Kim Kyung Nam and Jung Eun Chae. Do Hwan will be featuring two characters in the Kdrama – an ordinary public service worker named Jo Eun Seob and the bodyguard of Emperor Lee Gon named Jo Young.

Kyung Nam will be portraying the role of a detective named Kang Shin Jae. The character is described as a young and handsome person with a cold personality. His expertise in solving cases makes him popular among his team members. He also builds a close relationship with female lead Tae Eul and gradually falls in love with her.

Eun Chae will be playing the role of a young female prime minister of the Korean monarchy named Gu Seo Ryung. Her character is described as an ambitious person, who makes the emperor her new target because of which the onscreen couple will be facing several challenges.

The King: The Eternal Monarch is written by Kim Eun Sook. Some of the popular Kdramas penned by her are Goblin, The Heirs and Descendants of the Sun. She will be reuniting with director Baek Sang Hoon for this work. The two have worked together for the 2016 Kdrama Descendants of the Sun.

The filming of the historical fantasy drama began in North Chungcheong Province on October 24 and is expected to premiere on SBS in March 2020.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/lee-min-ho-starrer-kdrama-king-eternal-monarch-story-release-date-more-35605

• Like 4

Seung Woo Cho vs. Lee Min Ho Home Theater Big Match

'Secret Forest 2'-'The King' Organized in July next year

The dramas targeting the home theater in 2020 are in full swing. TVN 'Secret Forest' Season 2 and SBS 'The King: The Lord of Eternity' will be arranged side by side next July, giving a sign of possible confrontation between the dramas.

0000782019_001_20191209065812315.jpg?typ

Another anticipated drama, "The King: The Eternal Monarch," is also preparing to air in the same period. It initially started shooting in October with the aim of airing in March next year, but is eyeing the timing of next July instead, in line with its willingness to increase its level of perfection as a pre-production. This heralds the possibility of a showdown with "Secret Forest 2."

"The King: The Eternal Monarch" is drawing attention as it is Lee's comeback drama after completing his military service in May and a new work by Kim Eun-sook of tvN's "The Goblin" (2017) and "Mr. Sunshine (2018). It sets the background of the drama as a constitutional monarchy and depicts the romance between the emperor (Lee Min-ho) and the detective (Kim Go-eun) across the dimension.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000782019

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, syntyche said:

Seung Woo Cho vs. Lee Min Ho Home Theater Big Match

'Secret Forest 2'-'The King' Organized in July next year

The dramas targeting the home theater in 2020 are in full swing. TVN 'Secret Forest' Season 2 and SBS 'The King: The Lord of Eternity' will be arranged side by side next July, giving a sign of possible confrontation between the dramas.

Another anticipated drama, "The King: The Eternal Monarch," is also preparing to air in the same period. It initially started shooting in October with the aim of airing in March next year, but is eyeing the timing of next July instead, in line with its willingness to increase its level of perfection as a pre-production. This heralds the possibility of a showdown with "Secret Forest 2."

"The King: The Eternal Monarch" is drawing attention as it is Lee's comeback drama after completing his military service in May and a new work by Kim Eun-sook of tvN's "The Goblin" (2017) and "Mr. Sunshine (2018). It sets the background of the drama as a constitutional monarchy and depicts the romance between the emperor (Lee Min-ho) and the detective (Kim Go-eun) across the dimension.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000782019

Is this official? I hope it isn''t true:tears:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

LEE MIN HO IN THE KING: ETERNAL MONARCH

For his comeback on the small screen, the hallyu star takes a royal road with a drama written by Kim Eun Sook, screenwriter-star in Korea.

Leaving military service since April 2019, Lee Min Ho will soon be playing in the fantastic drama The King: Eternal Monarch . He will interpret an emperor confronted with demons from a parallel world and will share the poster with Kim Go Eun and Woo Do Hwan. 

Scheduled for next summer, The King: Eternal Monarch is by Kim Eun Sook, to whom we owe Goblin of Mr. Sunshine , and promises to be the most anticipated blockbuster of 2020. A new winning bet for Lee Min Ho?

lee-min-ho-imgune1.jpg

The Heirs is also the first meeting between Lee Min Ho and Kim Eun Sook, considered today as the number one screenwriter in the world of Korean series. From the romantic-fantasy comedy Secret Garden to the historic series Mister Sunshine , via Goblin , the name of Kim Eun Sook is associated with the biggest successes of recent years on Korean television.

The King: Eternal Monarch, a master stroke

Since Lee Min Ho's departure from military service, a lot has changed in the industry. The popularity of Korean series has greatly increased, especially since they are broadcast on powerful platforms and established worldwide such as Netflix or Amazon.

Given the context, the actor of City Hunter achieves a real master stroke by finding his way to the small screen in a drama by Kim Eun Sook. The combination of these two names is almost a guarantee of phenomenal success on Korean television and internationally.

The chances of seeing The King: Eternal Monarch thrive at the box office are tenfold with the presence at the casting of Kim Go Eun, the star actress of the blockbuster Goblin , also signed Kim Eun Sook. The young actress is also capable of triggering a phenomenon: at the end of Goblin , the number of Korean women wearing a red scarf exceeded the imagination.

the-king-eternal-monarch-casting-01.jpg

Lee Min Ho therefore seizes a golden opportunity, but he will have to pay attention to the new kid who will come to challenge him in the casting of The King: Eternal Monarch to play the supporting male role. Revealed in 2017 with Save Me , Woo Do Hwan has taken off recently with the epic drama My Country: The New Age . To tease Lee Min Ho fans a little, I would venture to say that the most interesting character, in Kim Eun Sook's dramas, is often the second male role… It only remains for Lee Min Ho to surpass !

Two parallel worlds

The King: Eternal Monarch will immerse us in two parallel worlds. One is a monarchy ruled by an emperor (Lee Min Ho) and the other is a democracy in which a detective (Kim Go Eun) tries to protect those she loves.

Produced by Studio Dragon and Hwa & Dam Pictures (the company that produces Kim Eun Sook's dramas and manages his career), The King: Eternal Monarch is announced for July 2020 on the SBS channel. Studio Dragon having recently signed a partnership with Netflix, it is very likely that the drama will be broadcast at the same time in our countries.

https://www.stellarsisters.com/dramas/lee-min-ho-the-king-eternal-monarch-news/

• Like 5