[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 hours ago, Heretorant said:

I love how this drama makes us think. I’m certain we’re not just reading too deep into the show, everything is definitely placed there for a reason. 

Totally agree. 

I am not a fan of the lead couple and have never watched any of their dramas.

I started The King quite reluctantly due to CB but suprisingly, I have to rewatch all the episodes to pay attention to every single detail to think and connect all of them together. The scriptwriter is awesome. She makes us always think and analyze. I also like the cinematography, the autumn is so beautiful, Busan is so charming in Corea color. And my fav are Yeong and Maximus.

Can’t wait to Friday!

• Like 10

A question guys ...

Can anyone verify that the English subs translations are accurate (or at least close) in the drama?

I'm seeing the repeating critique that the dialog is bad, and yet after re-watching a few times I can't find anything wrong with it.

I'm currently watching via netflix with eng subs - my understanding of Korean is basic (VERY basic), still learning though :)

I only wondering because I keep seeing this critique, and am curious if its bad dialog in actual Korean that just gets cleaned up in other languages subtitles or is it just those with a general dislike.

Otherwise, hang in there everyone. This forum is blessed with great content providers, pics-memes-insight-etc. They're sure to make the next 5 days pass quickly for all of us! :blush:

LCO

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

I am so glad this thread has not been graffiti upon individual non factual opinion. It's hard enough to stay saint during this locked down period. We may have different views but as long as it stays constructive critism = valuable debate and view points. However bringing own opinion and stating it as fact creates room for unnecessary arguments.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thanks most of us here for your great analyses  and inputs. Hopefully we can keep it this way. Also since this drama hasn't completed yet as quoted by someone 

3 hours ago, penjara hutan said:

Let's to be honest everyone, this drama will be boring. I mean, is not like another Kim Eun Sook drama's. 

May this drama WILL BE SUCCESSFUL  ;)

• Like 9
  • Naughty 1
  • Love 6

Oh boy some people are wishing to see it failing 

It takes very bitter heart to feel like this. Actors will recover but it is behind the camera workers whose livelihood depends on success of drama.

Even i dislike some actors, i never wish anyone to fail.

I hope ratings rise because hundreds of families run on these productions. It is a 32 billion won drama and i will never wish such things in anyone.

Btw king has already made profit and with so much product placement,  channel is losing no money. They bid for it for the advertising  revenue it brings.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, inBinJinitrust said:

Did anyone notice as of now only the PM character does NOT have a doppelgänger in the other world (Korea)?

Also, I just LOVE this piece and can’t wait for the full orchestra version as played in the last couple minutes of Ep.4. Magnificently played!

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s what confusing me.

This drama has been so well received internationally on Netflix even in places where you wouldn’t expect it to like India and Nigeria - so how can it be considered a failure?

LMH’s Instagram has gone up by half a million to over 13and a half million whilst the drama has been running- that doesn’t sound like someone who is in a failing drama to me!

When SBS paid to put this drama on their channel surely they must have been told it would be aired almost at the same time by Netflix and was therefore likely to affect ratings. Or was it that they knew how much advertising revenue the drama would attract.

When people go on about the poor ratings do they not realise that SBS ratings are only half the Korea viewing story because other Koreans will be watching it on Netflix Korea.( what a shame Netflix doesn’t release viewing data) ( I think someone said Netflix subscriptions in Korea went up recently)

I feel so sorry for the cast and crew who are working on this fantastic drama and are having to cope with the unfair negativity.

• Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

Today Top 1 in Netflix Korea. Looks like Koreans are watching it on Netflix mostly...hope people don't take SBS ratings seriously and give unfair judgments without looking at the bigger picture. 

1wp8dpu.jpg

Credit : DC Gal

• Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, inBinJinitrust said:

Did anyone notice as of now only the PM character does NOT have a doppelgänger in the other world (Korea)?

I noticed that. Maybe Lee Lim killed her in that world or maybe she just died in that world but I would also love to find out why she is not in that world 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, penjara hutan said:

Yeah you right, just let's see the lowest rating in next week.

BaeBae  :wub:

Ah, you're so mean. How could you give statement like this. Poor you, oh poor you. Never crossed ma mind that I'd read something like what you stated in this forum. What a shame :expressionless:

• Like 5
  • Unamused 1
  • Sad 2