[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

EVENT alert: Are you missing Lee Min Ho? why don't you join us for an event where we are featuring one of his earlier dramas -- faith! we will be having a re-watch party where we watch 2 episodes a week and comment. please tag chingus who may be interested. we are hoping to gather a small group of at least 5 - 10 regular chingus who would be happy to re-watch as a group. if you have the time, please do join us.. :kiss_wink:

to learn more about the event

to go to the event on faith thread

• Like 3

102539518.1.jpg

Lee Min-ho, to solidify his status as a Korean star again .. 'The King' is popular overseas.

Actor Lee Min-ho is gaining ground again as a Korean Wave star, thanks to his starring in the SBS drama "The King: Eternal Monarch," which caused repercussions overseas.

The King is being introduced worldwide through the online video service platform (OTT) Netflix recently. It is attracting attention by maintaining in the top 10 most viewed content in Southeast Asia, including Thailand and Malaysia.

Prior to that, in July, it became popular not only in Southeast Asia but also in Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Qatar, the Middle East and Africa. In some countries, it has also been ranked #1 in 'the most viewed content'.

The King is a romantic fantasy drama that SBS aired from April to June this year. It is a new work by Kim Eun-sook, selected by Lee Min-ho after his military service. He and Kim Go-eun starred in the show, which raised expectations before the airing, but left a regret with the average audience rating (Nielsen Korea) staying at around 7 percent.

But this was offset by the attention drawn from overseas.

In particular, it is evaluated that Lee Min Ho's reputation as a Korean Wave star has become the basis.

In a recent online information magazine, Broadcasting Trend & Insight, published by the Korea Creative Content Agency, Kim Sang-im, a lecturer at the College of Autumn Arts, analyzed that Lee Min-ho, who has secured a sizable fandom in Southeast Asia through the drama 'Boys Over Flowers' and 'Heirs', is "promoting his work and raising awareness." “It is more welcome for Lee Min-ho to appear in the drama after three years of hiatus because overseas viewers can only see the actor's works,” he added.

At the same time, curiosity about fantasy romance in the royal background played a role. The romance fantasy genre, which depicts the story of the Emperor of the Korean Empire and the Korean detective across times and spaces, appealed to overseas viewers.

"The combination of the royal background to the genre of fantasy and romance feels as sweet as sugar, slightly coated in freshly fried crispy twisted bread," Kim wrote.

In this background, Lee Min Ho is being re-recognized as a Korean Wave star.

The ambition to settle in the small screen after his hiatus due to military service did not achieve some results in Korea, but it raised its reputation overseas and pledged to the next stage.

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20200818/102539520/1

EfrE426UcAEhK4m?format=png&name=small

The Chinese version of the OST of SBS's "The King: The Lord of Eternity," which has been released sequentially since June, quickly topped the list of Chinese music sites. The8 and Jun, Chinese members of boy group Seventeen, sang "Maze" and "Dream" respectively, while Jike Junyi, a singer from "Voice of China," sang "My Love," among others. Most of them are singers who have ties to Korea but boast strong fandom in China.

https://news.joins.com/article/23850939

• Like 2
  • Awesome 3

Hi~ After hearing about TKEM for weeks now, I’m finally about to watch the first episode. I’ve been preparing myself for the past few days to invest myself emotionally in this journey. :D

I don’t want to take the risk of spoilers, so I’ll pop in and out of this topic.

See you in a few episodes as I begin the slow descent into becoming an A-grade emotional mess! :byebye2:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Dramas to watch in marathon for their love stories and action scenes

"The King: Eternal Monarch" is one of the dramas that you can see on Netflix

1. "The King: Eternal Monarch"

“The King: Eternal Monarch”, stars the Korean heartthrob Lee Min-ho, known for his work on “Boys over flowers”, and his co-star Kim Go-eum; The drama tells the story of a monarch who assumed office since he was a child, after his uncle killed his father and tried to do the same with him to take over the throne, but his plans failed and the only thing he caused was that the doors of a parallel world were opened that will endanger the kingdom. Along the way, to protect his empire, "The King" falls in love with a detective from the other world.

https://heraldodemexico.com.mx/espectaculos/2020/8/16/doramas-para-ver-en-maraton-por-sus-historias-de-amor-escenas-de-accion-1193.html

@violetts Hello! Glad you're able to start TKEM finally! Feel free to pop in as you finish the episodes. You're in for a great ride!   

• Like 8

Hello chingus!! What is everyone up to now? I miss my TKEM crew.

i am so glad TKEM is finally getting the attention it deserves. Remembering the back lash it received still upsets me :expressionless: 

@violetts Chingu, you are here too! Enjoy this drama because it will be a ride! Come by here to drop feedbacks and questions if you get confused :D

• Like 5
  • Love 2

These Korean Celebrity A-Listers Wore Luxury Art Watches In Your Favorite K-dramas

look-lee-min-ho-son-ye-jin-hyun-bin-park

These Korean celebrity A-listers have been wearing timeless pieces of art watches in their recent drama series. Though it may just be an accessory, it adds accent to their whole look, accentuating elegance and sophistication.

Below are luxury watch brands that appeared in your recent favorite drama. We may not afford it now, maybe someday we will.

Lee Min Ho

look-lee-min-ho-son-ye-jin-hyun-bin-park

In the pilot episode, Lee was wearing the Longines' Master Collection Chronograph Calendar with moon phase and 24-hours indication. For the equestrian world, Longines has long been having great ties with them.

The Master Collection is for those who love a mix of retro and modern details. The watch worn by Lee Min Ho comes with a brown alligator strap with silver barleycorn dial and in Arabic Numerals.

And later on, was seen wearing Longines Conquest VHP (very high precision), and considered to be the most accurate wristwatches money can buy. Conquest VHP is the perfect time-traveler's watch that no matter how many times you put it through the wormhole, it will automatically correct the time.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/118730/20200821/look-lee-min-ho-son-ye-jin-hyun-bin-park-seo-joon-and-seo-ye-ji-luxury-watches-in-your-favorite-kdrama.htm

Using the secret of popularity of K-dramas

The power of K-drama centered on Netflix also played a major role. The history of the Korean Wave in Asia is old and clear, but global online video (OTT) platforms such as Netflix are rapidly expanding as they break the border. In fact, if you look at Netflix's national TV series popularity rankings, you can see how powerful K-drama is in Asian countries.

According to FlixPatrol, a global OTT content ranking site, "The King: Eternal Monarch" was ranked 10th in worldwide box office (as of August 8, 2020) among the TV series serviced by Netflix. By country, there are eight Korean dramas in the top 10 TV series in Thailand, six in Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, five in Hong Kong, the Philippines, Vietnam, and four in Japan. The top spot in the Netflix TV series in eight Asian countries is all Korean dramas. "The King: Eternal Monarch" was ranked first in five countries.

https://www.yeongnam.com/web/view.php?key=20200820010002629

• Like 5
  • Love 1

After binging on the show for the past three days with blatant product placements shoved into my face, I finally caved in and went to a The Alley store to grab a bubble tea. (Call me a weak, easily influenced gal :lol:)

And lo and behold, what do I find on the window display?

IMG-1461.jpg

This can't be a coincidence right?! But why "Kingdom" though ? It's such a random choice of word?

Do you guys know if other The Alley venues have this kind of display too? And it's so weird because in the show, the shop only exists in the Rep. of Korea universe.

Or maybe it was a glitch in the Matrix and I was transported into the Kingdom of Corea universe? :ph34r:

Haha anyway I thought it'd be funny to share this one with you chingus. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

TKEM continues its world domination!

"According to the global OTT content ranking site Flix Patrol, among the TV series Netflix serviced,'The King: The Eternal Lord' was ranked in the top 10 worldwide box offices (as of August 8, 2020). By country, eight Korean dramas are among the top 10 TV series box offices in Thailand, six in Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore, five in Hong Kong, the Philippines, and Vietnam, and four in Japan. The number one Netflix TV series in eight Asian countries are all Korean dramas. 'The King: Eternal Sovereign' took first place in five countries,'Crash Landing on Love' and'Crash Landing in Love' and'It's Psycho but It's OK', respectively."

Source: https://m.yeongnam.com/view.php?key=20200820010002629

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

New Hallyu Market MENA is on the rise

MENA, a region of the Middle East and North Africa, is rapidly emerging as a new stage for the Korean Wave. It is expected that the Korean Wave, which has spread to parts of Asia, the Americas and Europe, will further expand its reach due to the popularity of K-pop as well as dramas and movies.

K-drama is also raging. Released locally through the online video service platform (OTT) Netflix, Lee Min-ho's drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" was also loved by users.

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20200824/102627340/3

• Like 7
  • Love 1

In addition, Korean content invested in by Netflix is taking the top spot in Southeast Asia on its global distribution network, demonstrating the success of the Korean Wave.

Netflix took its first step in investing in Korean content by producing director Bong Joon-ho's "Okja" in 2017, while K-content, which Netflix has invested in, dominates the Southeast Asian market. Across Asia, including Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand, as of July, "The King," etc., were ranked in the top six.

https://www.edaily.co.kr/news/read?newsId=01446486625871256

Studio Dragon is the leading producer of Korean dramas. Studio Dragon, a subsidiary of CJ ENM, is known as the first one in Korea to establish a drama studio system. It encompasses all the processes of drama business from investment, planning and development to production and distribution and distribution.

After Studio Dragon started, contents and other drama studios appeared one after another. In short, it led to a paradigm shift from the domestic drama market to a studio system. Now Studio Dragon is moving beyond Korea toward the global market.

In addition, supplies from captive channels to terrestrial channels are also steadily being made. SBS' "The King: The Lord of Eternity," which ended its airing this year, etc., are also representative works of Studio Dragon.

"Studio Dragon is a new model that has never been in the Korean market before," an industry source said. "It is also thanks to players like Studio Dragon that made it possible to produce masterpieces aimed at the global market."

◇Sales tripled in more than four years after its establishment.

As it has grown to become the No. 1 content producer in South Korea, its performance is also growing. Studio Dragon achieved its best performance in the second quarter of this year. Its sales and operating profit reached 161.4 billion won and 16.9 billion won. The figures were up 25.9 percent and 56.3 percent, respectively, from a year earlier. Above all, overseas sales grew 40.7 percent during the same period to 54.9 billion won.

http://www.thebell.co.kr/free/content/ArticleView.asp?key=202008201512131520104656&svccode=00&page=1&sort=thebell_check_time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The Best Korean Dramas to Get You Completely Hooked

The King: Eternal Monarch

This Korean drama has it all: parallel universes, time travel, a handsome king, a strong female detective, tragedy, and romance. The show tells the story of Lee Gon (played by one of South Korea's most popular actors: Lee Min-ho), a Korean emperor who rules The Kingdom of Corea (the North and South are still unified in this world) and discovers a portal opening in the bamboo forest that leads him to a parallel universe—the world that we know today. He meets, and falls in love, with detective Jung Tae Eul (played by Goblin's Kim Go-eun) in this world and they have to work together to close this time portal before their two worlds collide and freeze in time forever. Will they succeed in their journey and will their love be able to transcend time?

https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a26895105/best-korean-dramas/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media&src=socialflowTW&utm_campaign=socialflowTWMAR

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess i still missing this drama eventhough its been months. The MV OST still playing almost everyday in my android car player. Gravity is my most favourite. Congested traffic, no problem! Just play the MV, it cheer me up! 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2