[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

11 pages worth of Data tremendous !!

My stance on LG not getting fleshed out ,  I think he is enough fleshed out but to have a blueprint for his character as traumatized KING is wrong in the aspect that he is not a normal person. He is the KING he had to overcome his traumas to server his Country. That always comes first and should.! Other than being a King with open adoration for JTE, getting mad at JY and loving him as a brother equally , also having a weird fascination with Chicken (At this point chicken is also a main character), his layers or trauma can only been shown when he deals with the murderers (Notice his hand clutching his FluteStick to kill the restaurant owner guy in episode 8, when he Himself wants to kill him, but because of Him being a KING he orders him to commit suicide and even stops JY who is fully in tune with his Pyeha's emotions and wanted to kill that guy)

LMH not getting screen time or more fleshed out part, Character Ji-Hun may be able to able to do so, but if Ji-Hun is also a criminal , then LMH and KGE character opposite will be very similar, I am not sure if the writer wrote both Luna and Ji-Hun a street criminal? The acting chops can be freely expressed there I believe.

Similarly assuming JY and ES were swapped just because JY has a hardcore shell instead of the babbling 4 year old whom King LG met is wrong because as a Royal Guard you cannot be all bubbly and mischievous. Although HE does seem cheeky around Nari (Totally pulled a KIM TAN on her and I love that) at places and we can see him being all mad at ES in the little interaction they have about Nari in episode 8 ( throwback to when baby JY shouted at LG stating IS THE WHOLE PALACE Yours?)

Shin-Jae is the second lead unfortunately not JY atleast in the first half that is why his background story is focused more, the only complaint it irks a lot of  because LG is not so let's say traumatically explored more or is as mysterious background story like his. For eg, if LG and Ji-Hun were swapped like SJ it could have had more impact for those who do not find SJ that important, then this story would have been Prince and Pauper rather than a TKEM. But stating all that TKEM does not have King being swapped initially does not make sense with the storyline. So its Ok.

Less Confusion, more tagline needed in the show, had the creators placed a Tag below stating KOC and ROK when scene swaps , GP would have understood it more maybe, maybe not. After Finale they could make it a 2 hour movie with taglines and doppelganger 1/2 info with tags below to make it more understandable, this story is a GEM TBH.

I don't mind less romance, because I don't feel the pull here yet. Time Loop may make me feel this because as prominent it is for me in LG's character graph that he misses his father and retrained himself to be the king the instant he saw his father being dead , its just not the same with TE separation yet. That is not so say about chemistry or storyline, I just don't get the tragic pull I had with Grimreaper Sunny in Goblin or maybe a Joon-Jae Shim Chung in LOTBS. EVERY Actor is so daymn amazing here , hats off for pulling even the minute gestures f the characters. They just breathe life onto them.

( I find that with KES, I don't feel much connect with main OTP but I always feel pull with the second leads, this has happened in atleast 3 shows , so that is just me maybe, she weaves the STORY so beautifully though OTP goes with the story's flow unlike PJE wherein story is cliche and not out of the box but OTP love-story is the only reason which makes me hang on to it again have experience with her around 3 series. )

Hoping to see till end of 16 for TKEM without any interruptions despite rating and all that jazz.Fingers Crossed.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, Hachiko said:

5 people JTE add number to LG phone, she told him that these 5 numbers will help him. I cant really recall all 5 but include SJ number.

I can't share the screenshoot of LG phone but I can recall all 5 numbers JTE, SJ, Taekwondo Center, Nari, and Eun Seop 

12 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Did I read someone mention the king is slow, he's not slow!! As he learns everything all at once, he needs to figure it out before taking some right actions. It should be known that he doesn't know much information like us who watched all LR's did. He doesn't have screen which plays the episodes like us. Lol. I mean it's natural how he acts that way. He did takes some precautions and has plan for it later. 

yesss, he's not slow, he's smart enough and fast learner because he doesn't know much information and it's already 24 years (?) that LR back to back between ROC and KOC, prepared and made a plan but LG can make some hypothesis and conclusion about what already happened in just a short amount of time, for me LG is a good enough as a observer and analyst   

• Like 7

4 hours ago, SweetButters said:

So does anyone here think its just weird how LG acted after the whole telling the LR minion he gives him a suicide order? Like LG just goes and has coffee or whatever with JTE and casually jokes and chat with her like nothing happened. 

Enjoyed ur post. Not sure about the girl, i have given up on recognizing lookalikes :D

As for the quote above: i think LG and JTE are still not sharing everything. LG doesnt coz he doesnt want to burden her and he realizes that this is dangerous. She doesnt want to be micromanaged and he just wants to ensure her safety. When she says I love you, in that sequence she asks what did they do and LG hides that he fought with the gang. Now i think the gangster might also play a more significant role!!

To me the panic in his VO during the SJ-JY-LG scene at the end of episode 8 expresses how he hadnt realized the depth/seriousness of the situation. 

And i think we are heading for a genre change wherein humour would go down. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ima04 said:

Sorry to cut your post short.

Based on the preview, it is possible that they swap places since ES looks weird according to NR and JY act unusual with his underling.

Probably it is kind of premonition also since ES wanted to be KoC citizen LoL.

And thus ES can be with SeungAh that fangirling JY thus the real JY that i think started to take interest into NR can go with her. Win win solution 

At the moment, I think they swap for the timebeing only so that JY can stay in Korea to look for LR, ES goes to Corea to help the King cover the absence of JY to not create rumor and alert to LR.

But if ES develops his feeling for the Media girl and JY develops his love for Nari then the writer nim really has so much thing to settle for all characters to have a decent happy ending lol. Wow, I really can’t take my eyes off this drama to see how the writer solves and wrap up everything!!! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scrawford said:

The potential is there, but they have too much stuff to cover and unfortunately the Romance has to take a backseat and aside from taking a backseat, the moments they have it's not greatly executed.

I’ve got to disagree with you. The drama has allocated  more screen times for the main leads’ storyline than other sub plots. However, the chemistry and acting are not there. Hence, the lukewarm response. 

• LOL 1

Spoiler

7774cc9e1c5a1b8c0cc92e1a5090adc61d9a6025

Since there has been talk of switching places between JY & ES... 

1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

Lee Min Ho updated his IG account.

Maybe the stars will take away your sorrow
Maybe the flowers will fill your atrium with beauty
Or maybe hopes will dry your tears forever
But the most important thing is

Silence will make you stronger.

I think he exactly knows what his fans thinking about the drama. So he post this.

And this is very LMH - silent but strong.  How a warm and thoughtful person we love.  :heart: 

That is very thoughtful of him.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

Another thought is maybe beside creating his own army, Lee Rim is gathering people who has the same faces with people close to LG to make him weaker when the final battle arrives. Like if the woman who has the same face with his mother tries to kill him, LR hopes that LG wouldn't have the heart to hurt her. 

The same applies for Luna who he wishes to recruit (or has, already). 

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I might be quite selfish but yes I like this idea. Honestly, I've thought about this too before. I told myself as long as our couple ended happy then this will do. But of course we can't close our eyes with the Luna's crime history. Even there must be some reason that lead her to be evil she does wrong and that won't be fair if she would be just forgiven without any consequences. Because if she ends up taking TE's place and be the cops. She won't get to pay her wrong doings. But everything could be possible here, huh. She's been in jail for her crimes before. So now she can start a new. 

That's how I would write it if I were the writer, haha. 

Luna has paid for her crimes, she just left the jail. We'll see what her choices might be. 

Ah, can't wait for ep 9!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 4

Unlurking again, have a few questions, may be some of you know the answer? 

What's with number 17? 

JTE trying to call LG, 17 times when she was in Seoul station, then her 17 rules to LG? Why 17 when LG has only 2. It's such a random number  What's so special about 17? Did you see any hints about this on the previous episodes? Do you think this will be significant in the future? Or maybe it's just KES favorite number?  Haha 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

34 minutes ago, mamabear said:

Unlurking again, have a few questions, may be some of you know the answer? 

What's with number 17? 

JTE trying to call LG, 17 times when she was in Seoul station, then her 17 rules to LG? Why 17 when LG has only 2. It's such a random number  What's so special about 17? Did you see any hints about this on the previous episodes? Do you think this will be significant in the future? Or maybe it's just KES favorite number?  Haha 

And I thought this show only focused on 0-1 and euler's number, here we also have The twin flame number 17 :blink:( Like Goblin had number 9), maybe the significance is not spiritual related more scientific maybe?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I think he exactly knows what his fans thinking about the drama. So he post this.

And this is very LMH - silent but strong.  How a warm and thoughtful person we love.  :heart: 

Hey guys.. I read from an IG post where fans commented that the poem he posted is a poem from Goblin... Additionally he is also listening to the ost of TKEM in the video.

Edited by effyisme
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, INeedAFan said:

I’ve got to disagree with you. The drama has allocated  more screen times for the main leads’ storyline than other sub plots. However, the chemistry and acting are not there. Hence, the lukewarm response. 

You have been coming in here nonstop why don't you search for something that suits you. There are plenty of series airing now no need to get obsessed with this one. Find what you like and do you 

• Like 4
  • LOL 8
  • Thanks 2

If the rules of paralel universe is the person came out from the same family and relationship with a little dynamic, i doubt that SJ is someone related with LR or LG.

As we can see in the ep 8, SJ actually realize that he is in a new place and new situation when he is 7 y.o (8 korean age), same parent etc. But he cannot explain the situation since he's still a child. He accept the family since the father and mother are the same.

I assume the original mother from KoV accepted the offer to sent SJ to a better place with wealthy family but things happen, suddenly SJ new family in ROK bankrupt and his father went to jail. Hence we didn't sae him. ( this mirroring the scene of a mother that have dissabled child, probably the one that have a deal to change into making the child healthy is SJ mother in RoK).

The KoC mother didn't knew this reality that the family become poor and only got update by the picture hence she thought SJ in doing fine.

I do agree that LR kept LJH mother alive, to make doubt LG when he wanted to hurt LR.

PS : i like this tv show the flash with their alterternate universe earth 1, 2 and etc. In the end all the multiverse is merge thus leave people from the other univ gone. 

What about the othet option is also coz of manpasikjeok, the universe become one? 

But the description of the drama earlier was "closing the door"

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, mamabear said:

What's with number 17? 

This is definitely not the right answer but only thing that comes to my mind:

1+7 =8 which is considered to be synonymous to infinity.

0 in religious circles is considered to be the snake (adam and eve ref.) That has no beginning and no end.

Any Korean or East Asian person here, who has any culture specific answers? @mychoiyoung  ?also' please tag the person who helped us with english subs to ep. 9 preview.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I always admire this side of him. Very thoughtful. 

He is wellknown among media and colleque as someone respectable, thoughtful, full of dedication to work, wise, and mature beyond his age. His co star in The Heirs choi jin Hyuk was really witnessing those character on LMH (blending well with his cuteness). And he said he learned a lot from LMH. 

With that poem, I wanna say, happy aniversary King. Thank you a lot for everything. May you have a long and endless success. Be healthy, be happy. 

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Ima04 said:

Sorry to cut your post short.

Based on the preview, it is possible that they swap places since ES looks weird according to NR and JY act unusual with his underling.

Probably it is kind of premonition also since ES wanted to be KoC citizen LoL.

And thus ES can be with SeungAh that fangirling JY thus the real JY that i think started to take interest into NR can go with her. Win win solution 

Tbh i kind of have mixed feeling towards ep 8. The writer taking to many times unfolding SJ character if there is no need of him in the future. If he's going to be one of the important arc then it is ok.

But just for the effort explaining that LR already switch people here and there since 25 years ago, it is such a waste of screentime.

Even SJ in the first poster arch is not that important compare to Luna and yet we just shown her recently with tons of mystery.

I have a hunch they'll prolong the episode until 18 but until 20, i don't think so. 

Low rating is kind of big matter in Korea ent industry.

I rember how Arth chron taking so long to have a confirmation sequel despite the director already stated that it was a drama that intended to be a seasonal drama.

I've seen more and more recent drama that have international buzz like extraordinary you despite playing in mbc with rating range 3-4. The drama later create buzz inside korea and rose the actor to stardom coz international fans take notice first.

So, low rating is still consider fine if it still create big buzz internationally

@Ima04 If you check out the following link below (start at 1:22), you'll see a clumsy looking JY in KOC (hehe maybe ES?)! I love how you see how its a whole win win situation SeungA if she dates ES haha they do after all have similar personalities therefore she gets an exact copy JY minus his personality haha !!!

Also big thank you for the translation of ep. 9 trailer ! I managed to find someone who was able to translate the preview! See the second link below!

Spoiler

Eng Sub of Ep. 9 Preview

Also in the ep 9 preview, looks like its LG holding the Lee Sang Do criminal report and in the next scene in the preview it shows that guy in the stables...UH OH its about to go down with that guy..he's so screwed now :joy:

---------------------------------------

3 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

@gtLmh0622 Is that poem from Goblin?

---------------------------------------

2 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

Enjoyed ur post. Not sure about the girl, i have given up on recognizing lookalikes :D

As for the quote above: i think LG and JTE are still not sharing everything. LG doesnt coz he doesnt want to burden her and he realizes that this is dangerous. She doesnt want to be micromanaged and he just wants to ensure her safety. When she says I love you, in that sequence she asks what did they do and LG hides that he fought with the gang. Now i think the gangster might also play a more significant role!!

To me the panic in his VO during the SJ-JY-LG scene at the end of episode 8 expresses how he hadnt realized the depth/seriousness of the situation. 

And i think we are heading for a genre change wherein humour would go down. 

@Dramafreak Aw thank you!!!:heart: I totally feel you about the doppelgängers hahah it really is so confusing these days haha! Oh yea now rewatching that I can definitely see your outlook on how LG is trying to protect her since he knows she already has a lot on her plate. Like rewatching that scene he was just about to tell her that JY was leaving to do something and then stopped himself from doing so.

Yea like I dont know why LG is surprised? Like he should have known that LR had planned for years and years to kill LG's father and so I dont know why he wouldn't think LR wouldn't now. LG needs to think extremely big like his uncle and think more calculated than LR lol.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a bit late watching episode 8 today. Then I laughed at myself when I pressed pause at the kimchi PPL. I was wondering why it's so special right? Since they sell small packs anyway. Then I read Jongga- the brand I normally get then I read it's kimchi bukkeum. Lol. So I Google it and goodness me no wonder I don't recognise it. It's not sold here where I stay. So guess the PPL worked since I will wonder what their bukkeum kimchi taste like.

I have decided I don't care about the plot since its enough to drive one insane seeing how disjointed it is. And I will just focus on the characters. So can I just say how awesome Jo Yeong was when he slipped into satoori. I laughed so much I repeated it just to see LG's face. And Sin Jae and JY at the end are just 2 sexy, sexy men on screen. Hubba hubba.

The coffee PPL made me laugh so much and oh yes, read the comments about " ditto. " Hah. No wonder you guys complained. Is the subber a teenager or a college student or something?

This epic epic drama and you get translations such as " Hang on. Ditto? "  You all need to complain to Netflix. Hahahaha " ditto. " Man. Way to totally spoil the mood. Didn't anyone check who the subber was this episode?

• Like 4
  • LOL 4