[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

4 hours ago, Kim Rama said:

I don't know what to feel. Happy? Yes. Empty? Yes. The only thing I was most looking forward to has ended. I am alone right now and separated from my family and all my loved ones. Because of the pandemic, I can't go home. Haven't been home together and with family since February. Haven't seen my fiancé since March. And this drama was my only coping mechanism. I'm legit on withdrawal right now. Huhu. 

I am so sorry to see thos @Kim Rama.  Hope you can go home soon to be with your family & fiancee.  So am assuming you are a frontliner? May I ask where are you located?

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

I could not believe that SJ's character let TE go to the portal alone with LR. Whether TE is someone SJ loves, or his best friend or as next to family all his life or even just as his partner in the work force, how can he? Does not compute at all... Show why did you? Why?

JTE is pretty bada$$ herself to handle LR.

I really love JTE. Even when she is sad and heartbroken, she is still calm not irrational. 

I'm thinking that SJ is respecting JTE's decision and not to make things worse in his friendship with JTE.

He can't just leave like that leaving his mum alone as well. JTE at least has Luna to cover for her.

Oh man... I can't believe The King has ended!!!!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=9703616

• Like 6
  • Sad 4
  • Love 6

18 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

@SweetButters I KNEW you were gonna dieeeee

Also I blame you for LG packing the leaves.  I’m sure you had something to do with it. 

@AgentQuake HAHHAHA I DID OVER AND OVER AGAIN...Ugh still wishing for more JY scenes with MSA and JY with his KOC twin siblings hahah makes me wonder now if KOC Eun Bi will turn out to joining the royal guards like her brother hahahah. I wonder if KOC twins siblings would act the same way of the ROK versions of them. Oh well I would be really surprised if KES does indeed sign up for a season 2 because that would be unprecedented if she did.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I dont think there's enough leaves in that luggage to cover up LG's family jewels :joy:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woq6dqZ.gif

---------------------------------------------------------

@syntyche BIG BIG THANKS TO YOU AGAIN BOO FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR PROVIDING US WITH PICS AND ARTICLES!!!!  :kiss_wink:

tenor.gif?itemid=9460926

• Like 5
  • LOL 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

The filler

Hide contents

And the one they spent some extra time to tell about the chief backstory. It left me speechless. Seriously... we're running out of time here and yet they keep giving us this. Huhuhuhu

Is the actor considered good in Korea? That he is not just a bit player? You guys know what I am getting at? Cos that's the only reason I could think of to spend that much time on his story in a tightly-packed series. Does not add value to TKEM or did I miss something? I agree that Show could have had better use for Chief's loneliness & solitude screen times 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, SweetButters said:

@AgentQuake @SCSfanz Is it wrong that ive replayed that scene like 15 times now lol. I also was getting so hot over seeing that scene of JY shooting and ducking and sliding all over the place in the shootout like MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:love:

@SweetButters right? I need more. i've got so many wish lists from this episode that i just never got to see. it feels like they ran out of time from ep14 onwards and what we are seeing now is like a summary of what could have happened. If they can close it off with a one liner dialogue they close it off ;) 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Are you referring to the kid sitting in the crowd with the marine uniform

Yes maaaam

When they did the closeup on him in Ep 4, I thought maybe he would be another gentleman I could do a beheading with.  I also thought it was a little strange how they focused on him, but I figured cus he was hot AF.

and then he turned out to be the yo-yo boy 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

Does anyone know what JY meant by this? What game were they playing? :joy:

6TZI0oE.png

S0EDtMx.png

----------------------------------------------

21 minutes ago, SCSfanz said:

@SweetButters right? I need more. i've got so many wish lists from this episode that i just never got to see. it feels like they ran out of time from ep14 onwards and what we are seeing now is like a summary of what could have happened. If they can close it off with a one liner dialogue they close it off ;) 

@SCSfanz Thats exactly how I felt too!!!! Like obviously JTE and LG would get married and have a baby, but instead of showing us exactly that they just gave us Lady Noh saying those two lines " Ive been wondering when the Royal Ancestral Shrine will be completed. Will it be completed next year?". With ES and Nari, they're assumed to be married with ES calling her "wife" or whatever on the phone. Then instead of showing us JY and ES reunited, we just got LG saying "Did you get your license yet?" and ES saying "Yes, Class -1 special", meaning since ES completed his 64th dream of getting a license, thus ES completing his 65th dream of reunited with JY wasn't too far away. Lastly, instead of showing us the romance between JY and MSA, we got JTE saying how their romance would be a "triller thats a big hit" lol. LIKE GEEZ they could have shown all those scenes in a montage for all I care with LG and JTE voicing over to summarize at the same time !!!!:bawling:

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:

@ATW If anything, just know that yo-yo kid is ultimately on LG's side. I wouldn't be surprised if Luna "coincidentally" dies or whatever. The coincidences caused throughout this whole show was done by yo-yo kid to ensure LG would get whatever he and by extension his friends wished for.

It wasn't a coincidence that the door King Haejong traveled to was to ROK nor was King Haejong's encounter with Lady Noh (who later introduced LG to JY the unbreakable sword and lifetime protector/friend/companion) lol. Yo-yo kid did all of this to ensure LG would have a good happy life and that LG would meet the one he was fated to love and be with lol.

Yo-yo kid just had to make sure LG was a just and good king therefore he introduced the conflict with LR as one big test like King Arthur and Excalibur the Sword. Its like when yo-yo kid asked LR "what if a villain who isnt not a just person pulls the sword", to which LR says "justice does not make the sword. The sword decides what justice is" hahahah ......LR failed yo-yo kid's test after saying that. Furthermore, it wasn't just a coincidence that when the flute broke in half, that the only portal that was available to LG and LR was ROK and not to some other world like the one Tae-Ra Byte or Hyo Jin was from lol (its because yo-yo kid was trying to allow LG to find the one who was meant to be his queen, lover, and mother to a future righteous king).

Thats why I'm convinced Yo-Yo kid had been controlling everything this whole entire time, he's the Judge and Jury on who is to be future King and owner of the flute since in all the worlds there is only one flute lol! I can understand it from yo-yo kid's perspective that he didn't want to make a wrong decision hence thats why he tested both LR and LG even though he believed LG to be a good and just King. Yo-yo kid just wanted to make sure, I mean I would too if I was trying to give someone with the power to control multiple worlds and time lol. "With great power, comes great responsibility" lol

@Alice Wonderland Haha yea probably a production mistake lol. Hahah yo-yo kid goes back to being the kid after bully guy. Plus if you think about it, bully guy in ROK beating up KSJ is what lead to JTE meeting KSJ. Just read above what said about yoyo kid hahaha. And yo-yo kid in KOC was checking up on LG lol. 

Wow thanksss for your (always) good explanation :D 

• Love 6

Good Morning Chingus' :heart:

Glad I dont hve to use the guns and cannon on KES ! :joy:

Me jumping with joy, yelling, crying out loud when both LG & JTE finally met & kiss :kiss_wink:

But sad to bcktrack 35 pgs . LOL :bawling:

You guys ROCK the thread lst night !!!!! :scream:

Be right bck, wait for me. 

• LOL 8

It's finally over! While I am so glad we got our happy ending and so much time in Ep 16 devoted to showing happy times with LG JTE, I felt strangely empty now that everything is over. I no longer have anything to spend my waking time obsessing over, I no longer can countdown to Friday in excitement every week.

Some thoughts:

• I think we all have our own idea of what a happy ending would be. I envisioned them finding the beautiful solution to spend the rest of their lives together, not just only on the weekends. On one hand, I understand why it had to be this way. Both doppelgangers are alive in each other's world, they cannot simply move over to the other world because the DNA and fingerprints are exactly the same. Lady Noh's background wasn't elaborated on, but her doppelganger in KOC is likely not alive for her to be able to live peacefully for so many years. On the other hand, I wish LG found a more beautiful solution that allowed them live together forever.

• I am glad the last episode took so much time to give us a proper ending for everyone. LG saving SJ from his car accident was a nice touch, and without LR destroying his father's business he grew up rich as well. I love that PM's mother adopted Luna who became a police officer while PM ended up in jail. Luna with a happy home appears to grow up healthy without cancer, in the original timeline she would have died in the streets in 2020. And I love that KHM was always fated to be a police officer whether in ROK or KOC. KHM could only love JTE in secret in ROK, but in KOC he now has Luna (now named Koo Seo Kyung). I thought it was funny he used a parking ticket as an excuse to meet her on her birthday since she was off-work. I am relieved LJH's mom made good decisions and sent LR doppelganger to a care home, and that LJH grew up so well. That uniform looked damn good on him.

• I love that so much time was spent showing us how LG and JTE met again, and spent the rest of their time together. Too many dramas do a very quick wrap up in the last 10 minutes to show a very brief happy ending. It was absolutely hilarious when JTE put on the mask to avoid showing her face to Lady Noh. I completely lost it when LG went the extra mile to switch the mask on very casually in front of Lady Noh. I vote this as the best PPL scene of the whole series. The scene at the security room was unexpected, and in my imagination after that JTE got to spend the night in the King's chamber to reminisce the old times and relive the beheading. Hee.

• I feel like the parts in the entire drama series that we were unsatisfied with and felt could have been developed more, or felt like it deviated from the original script, may have been changed due to filming difficulties during Covid-19. The actors were scheduled to film for 8 months, I am sure a grander production was planned. I think scenes involving large crowds have been scrapped due to social distancing, and changes to the script must have been made because Covid made it impossible for them to access certain filming locations. I am glad the production team still did their best to bring us such a well done drama. I have never watched such an intriguing and well written drama that kept me waiting every week in excitement to find out what happens next, and spending all that waiting time reading this forum to understand what's going on and to read theories.

• My very last little wish, is for post production editing of the whole series especially for the first half. Hopes are slim, but I really hope they re-edit everything for Netflix or DVD release. I don't think there was a problem with the filmed scenes, but good editing would make the drama a lot better.

• I think some gags in Korean are lost in translation. In particular, I wish I could understand what Lady Noh and LG were saying about him keeping the talisman in his coat pocket. She held her fingers up to show 2, I wonder what that meant.
  • Like 9
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:
41 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

I still can’t believe that since episode 1, I’ve been low key thirsting over the YO YO KID.

Are you referring to the kid sitting in the crowd with the marine uniform

I thought Yoyo Kid is this deity... so why a bully to SJ? 

• LOL 1

17 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Does anyone know what JY meant by this? What game were they playing? :joy:

----------------------------------------------

@SCSfanz Thats exactly how I felt too!!!! Like obviously JTE and LG would get married and have a baby, but instead of showing us exactly that they just gave us Lady Noh saying those two lines " Ive been wondering when the Royal Ancestral Shrine will be completed. Will it be completed next year?". With ES and Nari, they're assumed to be married with ES calling her "wife" or whatever on the phone. Then instead of showing us JY and ES reunited, we just got LG saying "Did you get your license yet?" and ES saying "Yes, Class -1 special", meaning since ES completed his 64th dream of getting a license, thus ES completing his 65th dream of reunited with JY wasn't too far away. Lastly, instead of showing us the romance between JY and MSA, we got JTE saying how their romance would be a "triller thats a big hit" lol. LIKE GEEZ they could have shown all those scenes in a montage for all I care with LG and JTE voicing over to summarize at the same time !!!!:bawling:

it's a game that looks like "ladders" in korea.  I didn't expect he would cuss like that lol. 

@SweetButters you spoke my mind! i actually also want to see JY's interaction with his new siblings. and also the bromance between LG and JY seemed to have only barely scratched the surface.

• Love 3
  • Insightful 1