[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I have so many favourite scenes!!

Ultimate favourite is the EPIC RESCUE SCENE.

That made me swoooooooooon like mad.

From the moment LG gallop to the scene with all his Royal Guards..

The horses galloping..

The background music...

And then LG screaming "PROTECT HER!" and then proclaiming JTE as the future Queen of KOC?

And after slaying all the villains and he running to his Queen?

2666a679300fbd8ff61b78705b1ea877de1be35d

GIF from jaehyum

I can replay this ALL THE TIME!

:love:

Spoiler

Thank God I'm already married. Else LG ruin all my expectations for any future boyfriends.

tenor.gif?itemid=10516499

Edit to say:

@vangsweetie637 are you me???? Lol

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8

22 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

I have so many favourite scenes!!

Ultimate favourite is the EPIC RESCUE SCENE.

That made me swoooooooooon like mad.

From the moment LG gallop to the scene with all his Royal Guards..

The horses galloping..

The background music...

And then LG screaming "PROTECT HER!" and then proclaiming JTE as the future Queen of KOC?

And after slaying all the villains and he running to his Queen?

GIF from jaehyum

I can replay this ALL THE TIME!

:love:

Thank God I'm already married. Else LG ruin all my expectations for any future boyfriends.

Edit to say:

@vangsweetie637 are you me???? Lol

My favorite part of that scene was EVERYTHING!

But especially when he ran and hugged her! Omg, I swooned like crazy! They have THE BEST HUGS!!! 

Let’s just say my fiancé has a lot to live up to :lol:

For me, THE SCENE OF ALL SCENES! This, THIS had me heartbroken for a whole week! 

They set the bars high for all confessions to follow! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

9 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

But especially when he ran and hugged her! Omg, I swooned like crazy! They have THE BEST HUGS!!! 

LOL!!!

Yes... that scene was EVERYTHING....

BEST SCENE FOR ME TO DATE!

tenor.gif

Too bad for my case.. it's once sold, not refundable...

So I've got to live with what I've got.

:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

@mrsj3n omo! I love that scene so much!! I can remember it without even rewatching it! When i do rewatch it, my reaction is always the same: crying alongside TE because poor girl fought so hard for her life and rooting for LG because the King finally came! Haha. We must be the doppelgängers of ROK and KOC :joy: :joy: 

15 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

yes!! This scene is everything! And you know what, I think that next scene we gonna get in the preview..before or after she was stabbed..I am going to swoon over that hug too. Look at how tight they are hugging!! :wub:

Since I am still single, my expectations will have to be even higher for my future bfs/husband or else I will do this to them: 

43719e98802172a5bbfc013dff458a72.gif

:P :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Anagha said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed here earlier, but don’t you think there is a mystery behind LR’s doppelgänger’s dead body?
After committing the treason, LR escaped to the ROK and killed his doppelgänger. All these happened in 1994. But the dead body of the doppelgänger was found in KOC a year after all these in 1995. Why? 

An earlier theory was that Lee Rim took a few months to come across his brother's and his doppelgangers. He can't have immediately found them. But after seeing how soon he came to Corea to get Shin-jae we can't say how he managed this. It should be explained hopefully. 

• Like 2

I m still wondering how can LG and LR travel back to past or future without the other half of the flute. They can only travel back to different timeline with complete flute. Even LR has not found that he can travel to different timeline because all the while he travels to parallel world. I think they both manage to travel to different timeline when they meet up in the bamnoo forest. The Manpashikjeok magic flute will react to each others when it get closer or meet up. Therefore,..both LR and LG take the opportunity to travel back or future.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

LOL!!!

Yes... that scene was EVERYTHING....

BEST SCENE FOR ME TO DATE!

Too bad for my case.. it's once sold, not refundable...

So I've got to live with what I've got.

Hahahahaha :joy: you had me dying laughing. 

I guess I‘ll settled with the fact that LG is straight out of a fairytale. He’s extremely good looking and treats JTE like a queen. He’s patient and considerate, though he can be inconsiderate at the right time ;). He’s perfect and doesn’t exist. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

So many things that not explain yet..  But yeah.. Let's wait guys :D if until ep 16 ,KES not explain it well,  I think someone here will be explain to us :wub: right?  :kiss_wink:

Hmm..  Just curious.. 

What IF.. 

Lee Gon didn't come to the past, Little Lee Gon didn't hear the flute, 

And the king die,  Lee Rim get a complete manpasikjeok ,

What will Lee Rim do?? 

He will be almost immortal,  and..  What??  He wouldn't be a king,  so what he will do in his looooong life :joy:

Just curious,  :relaxed:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

3 minutes ago, deabakdrama said:

I m still wondering how can LG and LR travel back to past or future without the other half of the flute. They can only travel back to different timeline with complete flute. Even LR has not found that he can travel to different timeline because all the while he travels to parallel world. I think they both manage to travel to different timeline when they meet up in the bamnoo forest. The Manpashikjeok magic flute will react to each others when it get closer or meet up. Therefore,..both LR and LG take the opportunity to travel back or future.

i am thinking the same. For the flute’s whole power to work, it has to be whole. We see a confrontation in the next preview so I wonder if this is when one will attain the whole flute. However, what if LR meets his future self/past self in the in between world, then it’s not necessarily going back to past just yet. Lol. I am not making any sense. 

——

omo...in regards to which scene broke my heart..i was stuck between two. The scene when LG breaks down in the kitchen or during the church scene. Then I remembered I cried when LG cried in the kitchen. So I chose that scene. He finally broke down and cried from everything he was going through. I was starting to wonder when he would break. And when he did..i was like...”awwwww..Peyha. Let me hug you.” :tears: I was wiping tears. 

@Heretorant oh man..I cannot forget that confession scene either! Heartbreaking and heart wrenching! :bawling:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, deabakdrama said:

It’s possible if there is a time and space axis in no man’s world. Lee Gon said this in episode 13. No man’s world is a vacuum and probably traveling at the speed of light, hence why they age slowly there. No man’s world is technically a  wormhole. So my guess is the flute is just the key to the “time machine.” One needs the flute to access it but time traveling itself does not require the flute. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

I am so glad NF picked up TKEM. I am sure that if NF didn’t pick it up then Viki would have. When either NF or Viki don’t have my dramas and I cannot find it online streaming sites, this is basically me:

d65148f452c6d811e049cd2bc1b8c92e.jpg

LOL! This is literally me too when I try not to cry during sad scenes.

tumblr_n8k16q4EWl1s5ze9oo1_400.jpg

i love these memes. How is it that they can describe me so well?! :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 12

I guess I‘ll settled with the fact that LG is straight out of a fairytale. He’s extremely good looking and treats JTE like a queen. He’s patient and considerate, though he can be inconsiderate at the right time ;). He’s perfect and doesn’t exist. Lol. 

Oh you got that right!

This LG doesn't exist in real life...

@vangsweetie637 @Heretorant For me will be the scene at the church whereby time froze and LG stood there crying when JTE was frozen in time.. smiling...

And then he has to regain his composure and act like nothing happen and pose for the picture.

Oh man.. I can't.. 

This one... had me like onions rubbed onto my eyes.

tenor.gif?itemid=9043002

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Time loop said:

Hahahahahaah. Just saw the picture it cracked me up hahahaha. I have no comments on that one

Then why did you comment in the first place? This is a space for everyone to share their thoughts about the drama. Please don’t be like this to others. :heartbreak: Please don’t laugh at other fellow people’s thoughts. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

@SweetButters just wanted to thank you for all the explanations. They help. I am still grappling with them and I agree the creators should have explained more. on one hand they are using lots of science and maths to remain logical but on the other also trying to keep it simplistic in terms of explanations which doesn't work.

I do not know who wrote this but I agree: the Scooby team or LG team or the King's team is not working cooperatively. JTE said that she was in a joint venture to solve the case but as of now they don't have joint meetings or even share everything. Love is cute but their cuteness at the cost of the investigation is a bit too foolhardy!

Last, in defence of JY: I am suspicious of so many characters and because JY is not clear to me (his voice over is the only one hinting at his motivations but too much is left to my interpretation) and some reveal said that LG will be disappointed in JY so I keep thinking that he has to do some wrong.

However, if I keep aside my bias and the fact that the poor guy hasnt really got a chance to shine (ES saved the King twice, JY has had 2 or 3 nice moments -- JY meeting ES, JY with ES's sibbling and JY with PM in KOC -- rest are not memorable to me -- even the first episode interaction with the KING), then I do think that he is super loyal and almost a boyfriend to the King. This show will show us no sides of him except him thinking about the King and being loyal... maybe loyal to a fault. 

@Dramafreak Sorry to cut your post short! But yea I completely agree with you about the whole TKEM team trying to keep complicated concepts simplistic and it failing lol. Oh gosh I think it might be me that said the whole team do not work together at all haha. I was like what these people need is like a quantum phone to communicate across two universes. Sometimes I'm just like the actions of the main characters sometimes dont follow their overall characterization. Like LG knew Luna was in ROK, yet he just took a very long hot minute to realize that isnt wasn't JTE in his hotel room. Hahah I was sitting there thinking like why don't they have like secret codes when they meet someone to make sure its really them? Like LG could have said to JTE that their secret word could be "bbq chicken" or something that only the two of them knew hahaha. 

With JY, I think at the end of the day, he looks out only for what's in the best interest of the king even if that would mean the king would be sad for awhile. JY is just being a realist and loves the king like a brother lol. Like if my sister was entering a relationship where I could see it wouldn't turn out great due to some long distance problems, I would probably encourage my sister to break up because I didn't want her to waste her time and endure what could possibly be even more painful. 

JTE is unattainable because its like an unrequited love lol. You can't expect someone to feel the same way about you just because you are in love with them. As for Luna and JTE being the same person, maybe because they're special entities just like how there's only one yoyo kid. With the whole fate thing, I think both LG and JTE are fated to find each other and love each other. They're like two little particles which are quantum-ly entangled meaning that they are entangled with each other regardless of great distance.

• Like 8

Since we are discussing our favorite scenes between the main couple, here are mine:

• The church scene - This is my absolute favorite.  It really shows how far along their relationship had moved forward, and the discussion about their respective mothers was really heartwarming and touching.  And then the end of that scene with LG crying?  It was absolutely perfect.   The only thing that would have made it better is if they had gotten secretly married, but alas, that did not happen.
  • End of Episode 4, when LG takes JTE to KOC - This might be the scene I have replayed the most times over and over.  It was perfectly executed, and on a shallow note, it feeds into every girl's fantasy of being swept away by a prince on a white horse.  LOL
  • That scene where LG picked up JTE from Seoul when she had no money to go back to Busan -   Their interaction here was just so precious:  his teasing her about doing a search on the PM, his laugh when she said she studied liberal arts, that slight hand on her lower back that made the PM jealous, him asking her why she went to Seoul and her answer about her mother.  Such an underrated scene IMO.
  • Like 5
  • Love 11

14 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Oh you got that right!

This LG doesn't exist in real life...

@vangsweetie637 @Heretorant For me will be the scene at the church whereby time froze and LG stood there crying when JTE was frozen in time.. smiling...

And then he has to regain his composure and act like nothing happen and pose for the picture.

Oh man.. I can't.. 

This one... had me like onions rubbed onto my eyes.

Here’s the thing, I have too many favorites :lol: That’s why I love this couple so much! Every scene is special! The church scene hit me the same way the flowers of doom did. It pained me seeing LG struggle to hold back his tears and my heart shattered when he wiped away his tears and faked a smile for the camera :bawling:

I might as well name the next favorite. Because this list cannot be completed without THIS! 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

17 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Because of the ending, when Lee Rim was walking. If you look in the background, there is an exhibition about Relics and Lee Gon's image is in the background. Relics allude to the past.

In episode 3, there's a scene like this, just before the timestop.

This was the worst time to put this scene, as it leads to a lot of illogicality regarding the narration that follows (it would have been better to have a scene from Lee Lim in ROK). The viewer has no way to guess that at this point in the story, or to clarify the rest of the situation. Or there are dates on the poster in Korean, and this hasn't been translated. Later, episode 6, Tae Eul visits QOK and sees the same poster. So one less reason to detect the deception. (here I don't speak about time travel but confusion generated ep3)

Lee Lim is seen with several umbrellas at one point in story, this is where there is a way to suspect possible duplicates of the umbrella as a result of time travel. It is almost impossible to detect, a pot is quickly seen in the background, and the viewer's attention is drawn elsewhere. Someone told me, I hadn't seen it. I'm watching a drama, I'm not playing a Nancy Drew video game. (and I don't like this kind of hidden-object game, I prefer 4x strategy game).

So I consider this kind of hidden information as foreshadowing, it's done so that it won't be immediately detected, and it will be used for a later plot-twist. If the continuation of the drama involves the viewer being alerted previously, it's a failure. We know also there is a weird situation about Lee Lim puting umbrella at PM Koo home, and suspect it's maybe not the same umbrella (we suspect this far later, because the first time, it doesnt make sens).

Since the scene in episode 13 takes place in the same place ep3, we can assume a similar context (Lee Lim in the future). I think the script is good in this way of preparing the events. Normally, the viewer will have confirmation of this later, and will be able to go back up the logical thread of the appearances. However, it becomes counterproductive when this kind of scene parasitizes the narrative context of the story (episode 3).

Now, if we go back up the course of events, episode 6: when Tae Eul sees the poster, it makes sense. At least, we should know the dates of the exhibition (we don't know). I didn't look at the scenes to see if at the time of episode 3, we also see this place. If the square doesn't contain a poster, it means that the exhibition takes place later (at the time of episode 6). This gives a clue that the Lee Lim scene ep3 was indeed a time travel. In this context, the scene in episode 6 becomes an additional clue.

In all this, I think the script is great in the way it prefigures the elements. On the other hand, it gives me the impression that the director is filming what is written in the script, without trying to understand it. Or that the whole has a logic on the background of the story, but not on the narrative logic (way of showing it to the viewer). We must never forget the context in real time: what the spectators see at the moment they see it, according to what they has already learned from the story, and what we want them to know absolutely (except foreshadowing of course). Not after X episodes and X rewatches. The prefiguration of elements shouldn't get in the way of the storyline!

If you didn't understand anything I just said, or if you didn't see anything I'm talking about, welcome to the happy world of TKEM.

:mrgreen:

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Insightful 2

10 hours ago, rocher22 said:

The perfect scene...:D

If JY can see how ES been acting at the hospital in front of the nurses...he's gonna die of embarrassment. His persona of a cool guy just drop to the drain...

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • LOL 9

8 hours ago, Time loop said:

I thought I heard something about only killers getting the scars which means LG has definitely killed before but it's not surprising due to his position I guess he had to bury couple of bodies and problems that were perhaps a chellenge to his throne. 

He had to perhaps fight hard to keep his legacy and his families legacy and bury few traitors hence why he gets the scars and as for the PM hahaha dose it even surprise anyone that she has killed before ofcourse. 

Than you got LR and his minions all getting the scars because they all murdered someone especially their counter-parts

Nope I think you misunderstood.

Scars are only visible on respective dopplegangers WHO are Killed, eg Like LG, LR's henchmen bookstore one , did not kill His OWN doppleganger but was murded by Royal Guard yet the BOokstore owner got the scar.

The Doppleganger is Murdered by his counterpart or in any manner which is not natural leads to the SCAR formation. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3